PDA

View Full Version : Who Do You Wish Jimi Jammed/Collaborated With?

bogey_j
12-17-09, 11:43 PM
who living or dead would you wanted to hear Jimi jam with, that he hasnt already?

Sounds strange since their styles or so radically different, but I would've loved to hear an acoustic jam between Bob marley and Jimi. That would've been cool

ilovejimi
12-18-09, 12:26 AM
David Gilmour, Pete Townshend and Robin Trower

Purplz
12-18-09, 12:46 AM
The Doors.

Unlike many others, i really loved the jam he had with jim morrison, drunk, singing. Sober Jimi + jim + Ray + Mitch would make my life complete.

bogey_j
12-18-09, 01:14 AM
The Doors.

Unlike many others, i really loved the jam he had with jim morrison, drunk, singing. Sober Jimi + jim + Ray + Mitch would make my life complete.

oh yeah, I remember that! they were all so wasted but i'm glad someone captured that on tape. I wonder how that jam came to be? Did Morrison just stroll into a club one day where Jimi was performing and just hop onstage?

Ayler
12-18-09, 03:09 AM
Miles Davis, Roland Kirk, Gil Evans & Pharoah Sanders.
Allman Brothers and Eric Clapton.
No tapes even if he played with some of them.

weavzy
12-18-09, 03:12 AM
me.

purple jim
12-18-09, 04:47 AM

+1
I'd add Carlos Santana.
It's also a pity that John McLaughlin had such a crappy guitar when he jammed with Jimi. Imagine the two of them on balanced electric guitars.

MourningStar
12-18-09, 12:04 PM
No tapes even if he played with some of them.No wish necessary here. Miles an Jimi did hook up!

The Earth Blues
12-18-09, 12:16 PM
Everybody.

That's a really bad answer. But during the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame Ceremony this year, when I saw Jeff Beck bringing Sting, Billy Gibbons and Buddy Guy on stage, it made me think..."damn, too bad Jimi wasn't alive."

When you see those videos of all the blues greats jamming together...Stevie Ray Vaughan, BB King, Albert King...and Jimi isn't there, it makes me think..."damn, too bad Jimi wasn't alive."

He really just missed so much. We are lucky we had him for only the small amount of time we did. But at the same time I can't help but feel sadness when I see these other great artists playing together.

But on the other hand, when they play Hendrix tracks, it makes me feel comfort knowing how much respect they had for the man. Even the great Paul McCartney played an instrumental version of Foxy Lady during his tour this year.

purple jim
12-18-09, 01:12 PM
No wish necessary here. Miles an Jimi did hook up!

Read on. It says "who living or dead would you wanted to hear Jimi jam with, that he hasnt already?"

stplsd
12-18-09, 09:18 PM
^
Yeah, the titles a bit narrow anyway. Did Miles & Jimi play? if they did we ain't heard it though, it wasn't recorded;-)

stplsd
12-18-09, 09:24 PM
oh yeah, I remember that! they were all so wasted but i'm glad someone captured that on tape. I wonder how that jam came to be? Did Morrison just stroll into a club one day where Jimi was performing and just hop onstage?

Yeah, you got it, he just barged right in!

18? March 1968, Scene Club, New York City, NY
Blues Jam following the ‘Eire Apparent’ concert, possibly including some members of that band, with (at least) two unknown guitarists (one possibly EA’s Henry McCulloch?), Lester Chambers – harmonica; Unknown (possibly Chris Stewart) – bass; Unknown (possibly EA’s David Lutton, or Ray Lucas?) – drums & a very wrecked Jim Morrison - vocal<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Jimi taped the show on his reel-to-reel Sony. Musicians may also include members of the house band ‘The McCoys’, (Rick Derringer has denied being there) or anyone, really (but definitely not Johnny Winter).<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
[Tape cut]<o:p></o:p>
[Applause]<o:p></o:p>
Jimi: How about that then, how about that, yeah. You’re nice, but I think I’ll have to play the
bass guitar. Don’t have a bass, all right. Ray?...

1. RED HOUSE <o:p></o:p>
[False start]<o:p></o:p>
[Quotes riff from Cream’s ‘CROSSROADS’ (Robert Johnson) several times]
Jimi: Here we go now
There’s a red house over yonder, baby
That’s where my baby sta-a-ay
Lord, there’s a red house over yonder
That’s where my baby stay
I ain’t been home to see my baby
In about a ninety nine and one half days *
Wait a minute somethin’s wrong
The key won’t unlock this door
…. a minute somethin’s wro-ong
The key won’t unlock this doo-oor
I got a bad, bad, ba-ad feelin’
My baby don’t live here no more
[Solo]<o:p></o:p>
Might as well go back over yonder
Way back across the hill
Might as well go back over yonder
Way back over the hill
If my baby don’t love me no more
Lord, I know her sister will
[Tuning]<o:p></o:p>
[Drum solo]<o:p></o:p>
[Solo]<o:p></o:p>
[2nd guitarist solos (very low volume) ]<o:p></o:p>

Red house over yonder
That’s where my baby stay
Lo-ord, there’s a red house over yonder, baby, now
That’s where my baby sta-a-ay
I ain’t been home to see my own, pretty baby
In about a ninety nine and one half days *
[Twin lead guitars interplay]<o:p></o:p>
[Jim Morrison screaming in the background can be heard faintly here: Hendrix! Come on! come on! come on! etc.]<o:p></o:p>
[Jimi very faint vocal]:<o:p></o:p>
Red house over yonder
Okay now
[Morrison again: Hey Jimi]<o:p></o:p>
* Three month jail term<o:p></o:p>
[Applause]<o:p></o:p>
?: Are these drums here audible<o:p></o:p>
[Tape cut]
2. GETTING MY HEART BACK TOGETHER AGAIN [akaI’m Gonna Leave This Town, aka ‘Hear <o:p></o:p>
My Train A Comin’ etc.]>
?: Yeah!
Gotta find me some air
Leave this town<o:p></o:p>
Leave this tow-ow-own
Buy me a suitcase, baby
And leave this town<o:p></o:p>
Got a whole lot o’ money around here
And I sure ain’t gonna turn none of it down
[Morrison again?: Aaaaoooh!.... he-e-ey!]
3. < WHAT A SHAME* (Mick Jagger & Keith Richards) <o:p></o:p>
Wake up in the mornin’, baby
You’ll find yourself dead
Oh, if you–uh wake up in the mornin’, baby
And you find yourself dead
You know, you looked in the mirror
(Quit singin’)
Lord, at my weeping head

*Some of the lyrics from this were later used during the ‘Room Full Of Mirrors’ jam at Toronto in 1969
4.< EVERYTHING'S GONNA BE ALRIGHT ( ‘Little’ Walter [Jacobs]) ><o:p></o:p>
[Jimi included this song in jam sessions three times this month 17th, 18th & 25th, this would appear to be an ironic tribute as Little Walter died of his injuries following a “street fight” a month previously on February 15. (Walter was to the harmonica what Jimi was to the electric guitar)]<o:p></o:p>
Everything
Be all right
Everything
Everything will be all right
Everything
Everything will be all right

5. < TAIL DRAGGER (Willie Dixon) [written for & recorded by Howlin’ Wolf]<o:p></o:p>
I’m a tail dragger
I wipe out my trail
I’m a tail dragger
I wipe out my trail
I get what I want, baby<o:p></o:p>
And I don’t come sneakin’ ba-ack<o:p></o:p>
[Tape cut]
6. BLEEDING HEART (Elmore James)<o:p></o:p>
Peoples, peoples, peopl-le
You know what it means to be left alone
Oh, yeah
Peoples, peoples, peoples, people
You know what it means to be left alone
No letter today, not even a call on my telephone
Understanding and a little lovin’
A little lovin’ is a-all in the world I need… yeah
Yeah
Lord, a little understandin’ an’ a little lovin’, baby
Lord, a little love is all in the world I nee-eed
Yeah
Misunderstandin’ an’ a no good woman
They both have caused my heart to bleed
All right
[2nd guitarist takes a solo]<o:p></o:p>
Every mornin’

[Morrison starts “singing”]: <o:p></o:p>
7. < ROCK ME BABY (Riley ‘BB’ King [Morrison’s “lyrics” roughly based on] <o:p></o:p>
vocal: Jim Morrison)<o:p></o:p>
All night long
Love my baby
(?: Yeah!)
All night long
(?: Right on!)
Fucked a lovely woman
Sing my song
(Jimi?: Hell, well, yeah, let him)
Lo-ove
Lo-ove
You’re my baby
[Jimi: Yeah, you look so… Yeah!]
Sucked my woman
[Jimi?: Yeah!]
Feel her all night long
All night long
All night lo-ong
All night
All night long
Come on
Come on
Suck my ass
Feel her, all night long
Feel her, all night long
Oh
All night is good
Goo-oo-ood
(Jimi?:Oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo!)
Love my, baby
All night long
(Jimi?: Ooo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo!)
Got to rock me baby
Rock me all night long
Got to rock me

All night long
All night
(Jimi?: [Shrieking noise])<o:p></o:p>
All night, an’ all ni-ight long
The sunrise is here, yeah
Woa-yeah
Fuck me all night long
Fuck me all night long
Fuck me all night lo-ong
(Jimi?: Oo-woo-woo-woo-ooh!)
Love my mama
(Jimi?: Yea-eah!)
Love my (cunt) little sweet ass, baby
She don’t need a woman
(?: Come on… come on)
Love her, woa
(?: Come on)
Slow down, come on slow down
Lift off, now… stop
Gotten kind o’ lazy
Suck my old bloody bed
Feel it
All night long jackass
Suck my ass
(?: Fucking her)
Woa
She’s my honey
All night long
Ssh
Down, get it down
Get it down
Down, down
Down, down
Down, down
Oh, Yeah
Oh
Come on
Fuck
Fuck
Fuck! her all night long
Oo-oo-o-oo
All night
Yeah
You better live…[etc].
Yeah, all right

8.[B] “URANUS ROCK” >[vocal: Jim Morrison. Your anus, geddit? Someone obviously mixed up these joke titles as this is listed as “Morrison’s Lament”] <o:p></o:p>
You’re my woman
Fuck her in the ass
[Women screaming & shouting. In protest?]<o:p></o:p>
(?: Go ahead!)
Fuck your favourite
[Jimi: That’s the recording mic’, sing in that one right there, that’s the recording mic’]
Fuck your baby in the asshole
Come on
Ssuck my little woman
Eat her little pussy
Little slack ass cunt
Whoa, little asshole
You’ll be my little ss…
You are…
Fuck her in the ass
When I’m high
Little old sweet ass cunt hole
Little old mama, wo-oa
Little soul for me now
Little soft cunt yeah
Little cunt
Feel real hard
Make it softer, baby
Make it all softer, baby
Make it all softer, baby
Make it all softer, baby
Make it all softer, baby
Make it all softer, baby
Make it all softer, baby
Make it all softer, baby
Make it all softer, baby
Make it all softer, baby
Make it all softer, baby
9. < FIVE TO ONE (The Doors)>
We’ll get it together, baby
One more time
Get it together, baby
One more time
Get it together, babe
One more time
Get it together
Just one time
Yeah

[There is a clatter as Morrison drops the mic’ on the floor]<o:p></o:p>
Get it together
One more time
Jimi: Testing. One, two
10. <TOMORROW NEVER KNOWS (John Lennon & Paul McCartney)><o:p></o:p>
I love you Alison
I need Alison
I love you Aliso-on
I love you […?]<o:p></o:p>
Love you for ever […?]<o:p></o:p>
[Morrison’s voice becomes indistinguishable moaning in the background]<o:p></o:p>
11. < [I]“MORRISON’S LAMENT” > [fun title obviously mixed up with Uranus Rock]<o:p></o:p>
Jimi: In case anyone wanna know what’s happenin’ I think that’s Jim Morrison on the
floor, oh, Jim Morrison on the-uh, the-uh heh….
…. Rocked my baby, fuck me… He-ey baby, fuckin’ scene here… You wouldn’t believe
it, I swear to God you wouldn’t believe what’s happening down there… really
wouldn’t
[Mic’ get’s knocked over]<o:p></o:p>
Morrison: …Feel the love, Feel the love, Feel all the love, Feel the love, Feel the love,
Feel the love, Feel the love… I love ya … feel the love etc… etc.
12. < OUTSIDE WOMAN BLUES >(‘Blind’ Joe (aka Willie) ‘Reynolds’ [Sheppard])<o:p></o:p>
[unknown?]: Wanna get off
[unknown?]: Off
Morrison:? [screaming, indistinguishable singing]<o:p></o:p>
[unknown singer]:<o:p></o:p>
[indistinguishable singing]<o:p></o:p>
Oooo-oo-ooh<o:p></o:p>
Yeah<o:p></o:p>
He said, I want to do it to you now<o:p></o:p>
You said she’s not as bold as you now<o:p></o:p>
Woo-ooh <o:p></o:p>
I don’t know what he’s gonna play now<o:p></o:p>
13. < SUNSHINE OF YOUR LOVE ([John] ‘Jack’ Bruce, Pete Brown & Eric Clapton)<o:p></o:p>
Morrison: Come here baby-yay [howls like a wolf]<o:p></o:p>
[unknown?]: Jim, fuckin’ crazy
[unknown?]: (singing): In the sunshine of your love!
[unknown?]: You, get off

bogey_j
12-18-09, 11:45 PM
Ha that's great. Morrison was a genuine madman. I wonder what that jam would have sounded like had they been a little more sober (though Jimi was more together then Morrison that night). It's crazy how stuff like that used to happen in the 60's all the time. All these legends just walking into speakeasys one night and having spontaneous jams. No egos, no bull, just music. Nowadays when legends come to play together its all so pre-planned and put on award shows. Not as cool as it used to be

tallboy333
12-19-09, 12:06 AM
I was lucky enough to play with a keyboardist back in the '80's in Gainesville FL named Robert Peterson, who was the keyboardist in the McCoys when they were the house band at the Scene Club. (Check out his work and songwriting on the McCoys 'Infinite McCoys' and 'Human Ball' albums.) He had many tales of Jimi, BB King, Jeff Beck, the Animals etc. coming in to play with the band and partake in the after-hours "activities". He used to say some of the most exciting stuff those guys ever played came at the club when it was just a few friends and the pressure was off to be a "star". God, to go back to the days and be a fly on the wall there!

I would have loved to hear Jimi play with Allan Holdsworth or Eric Johnson, or a 3-way jam with Buddy Guy and Clapton. I just think those guys would all have really pushed Jimi out to the edge. It still amazes me what impact the guy had over what was basically a four-year career. No one even comes close.

purple jim
12-19-09, 04:20 AM
Buddy Miles was supposed to be on drums for the latter half of the Scene Club jam. Any confirmation of that ?

TwistedLogic
12-19-09, 03:45 PM
Well, already mentioned but, yes, David Gilmour, Miles Davis... maybe Joe Zawinul and John Coltrane, although Coltrane died before Jimi made it big.

stplsd
12-19-09, 03:46 PM
Buddy Miles was supposed to be on drums for the latter half of the Scene Club jam.

Says who? I don't recall hearing this before.

dino77
12-19-09, 03:55 PM

Shapiro and Caesar made a guess in "Electric Gypsy" that Buddy might play on some songs. It does sound a bit like his drum fills on Outside Woman Blues. Thanks for the analysis, which release/edition of the show did you base the it on?

stplsd
12-19-09, 04:30 PM
Shapiro and Caesar made a guess in "Electric Gypsy" that Buddy might play on some songs. It does sound a bit like his drum fills on Outside Woman Blues. Thanks for the analysis, which release/edition of the show did you base the it on?

Thanks for the info. Probably the ATM, can't remember exactly. Unfortunate that it's so badly mixed in bias of Jimi, we can't really hear how the other guitarist/s related to Jimi. Some of the lyrics, chat etc required isolation and much volume lift etc.

bogey_j
12-19-09, 06:28 PM
Well, already mentioned but, yes, David Gilmour, Miles Davis... maybe Joe Zawinul and John Coltrane, although Coltrane died before Jimi made it big.

A jam with interstellar space era coltrane would've been insane. they are actually pretty similar, in terms of what they were trying to do with their instrument

purple jim
12-20-09, 03:34 AM

When the Scene Club recordings first found their way into the shops (apart from the bootleg "Sky High") as the album "Woke Up This Morning And Found Myself Dead" (Red Lighning 1980), Miles is credited as drummer on side 2 ("Morrison's Lament" to "Sunshine Of Your Love". Note however that the sleeve also names Johnny Winter as a participant (this was of course later proved to be incorrect).
> The sleevenotes on that release were by Tony Brown

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3546/wokeup.jpg (http://img97.imageshack.us/i/wokeup.jpg/)

purplehazechild
01-04-10, 05:11 PM
Jimmy Page, Tony Iommi, Ace Frehley, John Frusticane or Angus Young!

DevilsAvocado
01-04-10, 07:31 PM
Funkadelic.

Also, albeit in probably a different direction, it would have been interesting if the H.E.L.P. (Hendrix, Emerson, Lake & Palmer) thing had happened.

Pink Floyd.

Brian Eno.

King Crimson.

MourningStar
01-04-10, 09:11 PM
... Also, albeit in probably a different direction, it would have been interesting if the H.E.L.P. (Hendrix, Emerson, Lake & Palmer) thing had happened...My understanding (from past Emerson/Lake interviews) is that Mitch met with Keith and Greg in England when these two were in the initial stages of selecting/deciding on a drummer prior to Palmer being considered (around the Jan-Feb 1970 time frame). The encounter with Mitch involved an idea to include Hendrix in the mix. This would have had the acronym as being HELM. According to Greg, Mitch showed up with one (or was it two?) surly-looking bodyguard types that did not sit well with him. If anyone has info regarding a later encounter, after ELP had formed regarding an inclusion of Hendrix, hence HELP, I would be most interested. Either situation would have made a most interesting collaboration nonetheless.

:minipersonen065:

Roland Stone
01-04-10, 11:23 PM
I spend more thought wishing that among those Jimi DID jam with, he'd picked better songs to explore. And that he'd let his collaborators play songs from their own repertoires.I wish he'd done "Highway 61 Revisited" with Johnny Winter. I wish he'd done "Sunshine of Your Love" with Jack Bruce. I wish he'd done "Dear Mr Fantasy" with Traffic. I wish he'd done "For What It's Worth" with Stills. I wish he'd done "Signed DC" with Arthur Lee. Its still hard for me to believe that he DIDN'T play any of those songs with those guys. But at least he DID do "Mockingbird" with Dusty Springfield! LOL!

DevilsAvocado
01-05-10, 07:33 AM
My understanding (from past Emerson/Lake interviews) is that Mitch met with Keith and Greg in England when these two were in the initial stages of selecting/deciding on a drummer prior to Palmer being considered (around the Jan-Feb 1970 time frame). The encounter with Mitch involved an idea to include Hendrix in the mix. This would have had the acronym as being HELM. According to Greg, Mitch showed up with one (or was it two?) surly-looking bodyguard types that did not sit well with him. If anyone has info regarding a later encounter, after ELP had formed regarding an inclusion of Hendrix, hence HELP, I would be most interested. Either situation would have made a most interesting collaboration nonetheless.

:minipersonen065:

Yeah, well personally, i have no idea what's true and what's not, on this particular matter. Here's what i was able to find on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerson_lake_palmer#1970_to_1979

At least, there's a quote from Greg Lake on the matter.

MourningStar
01-05-10, 04:28 PM
Yeah, well personally, i have no idea what's true and what's not, on this particular matter. Here's what i was able to find on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerson_lake_palmer#1970_to_1979

At least, there's a quote from Greg Lake on the matter.

It appears true to me that a Hendrix/Emerson & Lake connection existed. And judging from our info that a HELM or HELP collaboration could have been a possibility. However, as fate would have it ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/XiKano/AVATAR/peace5.gif

kees1954
01-05-10, 05:55 PM
I spend more thought wishing that among those Jimi DID jam with, he'd picked better songs to explore. And that he'd let his collaborators play songs from their own repertoires.I wish he'd done "Highway 61 Revisited" with Johnny Winter. I wish he'd done "Sunshine of Your Love" with Jack Bruce. I wish he'd done "Dear Mr Fantasy" with Traffic. I wish he'd done "For What It's Worth" with Stills. I wish he'd done "Signed DC" with Arthur Lee. Its still hard for me to believe that he DIDN'T play any of those songs with those guys. But at least he DID do "Mockingbird" with Dusty Springfield! LOL!

I recently read that Jimi once sat in with Leonard Cohen playing Suzanne. Amazing!!!!

dino77
01-05-10, 07:19 PM
I recently read that Jimi once sat in with Leonard Cohen playing Suzanne. Amazing!!!!

Amazing indeed! Where did you read this???

Voodoo Kush
01-05-10, 10:28 PM
Hendrix and Curtis Mayfield would gell well i think... Coltrane and Davis, maybe Thelonius monk? I think Miles and Jim would have made it happen eventually, it would have been unique and stronger than the John Lee Hooker - Davis combo. Grover Washington Jr. forsure!.... and Wes Montgomerey.

ElectricWing
01-09-10, 12:07 PM
I would have liked to hear him jam with Duane Allman.

soccertackle14
02-25-11, 02:06 PM
Has anyone heard an unedited, complete tape of the Morrison jam? I really enjoy the "set changes" and commotion between songs that are so often cut out.

stplsd
02-25-11, 04:14 PM
Has anyone heard an unedited, complete tape of the Morrison jam? I really enjoy the "set changes" and commotion between songs that are so often cut out.

Now that would be very interesting. Someone should get in touch with Mick Cox;-) Would be great to get a mix that didn't have the other guitarists turned down to almost inaudible, thereby ruining the dynamics of what was going down in this "drunken" (drugged;-)? but very interesting "jam" would be nice to knoww who played on it too, apart from Lester Chambers & Morrison? (my suspicion is the members of Eire Apprent after whose gig it happened;-). Jimi is completely controlling and directing it, including Jimbo's pornographic display. Apparently, judging by the feminine shouts of protest, not appreciated by several women there;-), surely one reason why he kept this embarrassing display by his main rival at the time;-) But of course another probable reason for him keeping it was his try outs for various songs during it:

1st live recording of Bleeding Heart (Elmore James)<?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
1st live recording of Sunshine Of Your Love ((John) "Jack" Bruce, Pete Brown & Eric Clapton)
1st live recording of Outside Woman Blues (as the Cream version, but by "Blind" Joe (aka Willie) "Reynolds" (real name Sheppard;-)? - he reportedly lost (most of) his sight due to a bullet injury, he apparently was more or less on the run hence his various names. One of the rarest of all surviving "Blues" 78's;-)
1st live recording of Tomorrow Never Knows (Lennon & McCartney) <o:p></o:p>
1st live recording of Everything's Gonna Be Alright ((Marion) "Little" Walter (Jacobs))<o:p></o:p>
1st recording of What A Shame (Jagger & Richards)
Only recording of Tail Dragger (Willie Dixon - for Howlin' Wolf)<o:p></o:p>
Only recording of Five To One (The Doors)<o:p></o:p>
Only quote of Crossroads (Robert Johnson)

First live recording of a version of his Getting My Heart Back Together Again, mistitled by the bootlegger/s as "I'm Gonna Leave This Town" but he/they wouldn't know any better anyway at that time - no need for us to continue with his mistake though? (just a few lines - ie still working on it):

Gotta find me some air
Leave this town
Buy me a suitcase, baby
Got a whole lot o’ money around, here girl

From the film See My Music Talking (1st version of this song) :

Gonna leave this town, I got to leave this town
Gonna make a whole lot o’ money
Gonna be big, yeah. Gonna be big, yeah

dino77
02-25-11, 05:33 PM
Now that would be very interesting. Someone should get in touch with Mick Cox;-) Would be great to get a mix that didn't have the other guitarists turned down to almost inaudible, thereby ruining the dynamics of what was going down in this "drunken" (drugged;-)? but very interesting "jam" would be nice to knoww who played on it too, apart from Lester Chambers & Morrison? (my suspicion is the members of Eire Apprent after whose gig it happened;-). Jimi is completely controlling and directing it, including Jimbo's pornographic display. Apparently, judging by the feminine shouts of protest, not appreciated by several women there;-), surely one reason why he kept this embarrassing display by his main rival at the time;-) But of course another probable reason for him keeping it was his try outs for various songs during it:

1st live recording of Bleeding Heart (Elmore James)<?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
1st live recording of Sunshine Of Your Love ((John) "Jack" Bruce, Pete Brown & Eric Clapton)
1st live recording of Outside Woman Blues (as the Cream version, but by "Blind" Joe (aka Willie) "Reynolds" (real name Sheppard;-)? - he reportedly lost (most of) his sight due to a bullet injury, he apparently was more or less on the run hence his various names. One of the rarest of all surviving "Blues" 78's;-)
1st live recording of Tomorrow Never Knows (Lennon & McCartney) <o:p></o:p>
1st live recording of Everything's Gonna Be Alright ((Marion) "Little" Walter (Jacobs))<o:p></o:p>
1st recording of What A Shame (Jagger & Richards)
Only recording of Tail Dragger (Willie Dixon - for Howlin' Wolf)<o:p></o:p>
Only recording of Five To One (The Doors)<o:p></o:p>
Only quote of Crossroads (Robert Johnson)

First live recording of a version of his Getting My Heart Back Together Again, mistitled by the bootlegger/s as "I'm Gonna Leave This Town" but he/they wouldn't know any better anyway at that time - no need for us to continue with his mistake though? (just a few lines - ie still working on it):

Gotta find me some air
Leave this town
Buy me a suitcase, baby
Got a whole lot o’ money around, here girl

From the film See My Music Talking (1st version of this song) :

Gonna leave this town, I got to leave this town
Gonna make a whole lot o’ money
Gonna be big, yeah. Gonna be big, yeah

But here we have it again, Mick Cox wasn't in Eire Apparent and probably not in New York in March 1968...though it's always possible Jimi gave him the tape in late 1968, just like he gave him his Gibson.

Most likely it's not a multi-track tape, just a quick dub with Jimi's cassette deck hooked up to the club's mixing board, so sadly we wont
be able to get any remixes. Also find it frustrating with the mix...Jimi did favor his guitar on his "personal" mixes; witness also the Cafe Au Go Go tape - no vocals, guitar way up in the mix.

Gypsy Eyes
02-25-11, 05:37 PM
Marc Bolan

stplsd
02-25-11, 05:49 PM
Marc Bolan
For sure that would have been Marc's dream:-)

stplsd
02-25-11, 05:54 PM
But here we have it again, Mick Cox wasn't in Eire Apparent and probably not in New York in March 1968...though it's always possible Jimi gave him the tape in late 1968, just like he gave him his Gibson..

That's what I'm beginning to question, according to Cox he was taken straight to the Record Plant and that he was also (later) at Red Rocks on 1st sept? A very memorable 'Experience' because he says it was the first time he took acid, describing the early morning sun coming up over the red rocks ('First Rays Of The New Rising Sun';-). But then I didn't say he was playing at this jam only that they, members of Eire Apparent at that time, quite likely played.

Is that your only interest in my analysis?

dino77
02-25-11, 06:03 PM
That's what I'm beginning to question, according to Cox he was taken straight to the Record Plant and that he was also (later) at Red Rocks on 1st sept? A very memorable 'Experience' because he says it was the first time he took acid, descrbing the early morning sun coming up over the red rocks.

Is that your only interest in my analysis?

No, no it's a nice analysis :). Also find this show very interesting. To be pedantic it's his 2nd recorded Bleeding Heart if we count the Curtis Knight version.
What A Shame, that's quite an obscure song, can't remember the A-side to this Stones single? Ah, Heart of Stone.

For a moment I thought the most audible non-Jimi guitarist sounded like Rick Derringer, but if that's the case he'd probably not want to admit it.

Gypsy Eyes
02-25-11, 06:06 PM
For sure that would have been Marc's dream:-)

:-) It'd have been so epic!

stplsd
02-25-11, 06:09 PM
^
I, of course, would dispute that any of the Curtis-K "live" recordings are such. I contend that they are all very obviously on close listening (however tortuous that may be) recorded in a studio, of some sort. So therefore it is the 1st live recording of Bleeding Heart?

dino77
02-25-11, 06:14 PM
^
I, of course, would dispute that any of the Curtis-K "live" recordings are such. I contend that they are all very obviously on close listening (however tortuous that may be) recorded in a studio, of some sort. So therefore it is the 1st live recording of Bleeding Heart?

I heartily disagree! Without any real evidence, yes. Some of those recordings seem to have "natural" audience noises. Damn, someone must know the real story of those tapes, but isn't speaking because of legal BS.

Speaking of CK, Niko of earlyhendrix.com recently unearthed this tidbit:

"Welcome Home

The original RSVP single label gives composer credit for "Welcome Home" solely to Curtis Knight, but the bmi.com database gives co-credit to Dick Glass. Who actually wrote this track is open to discussion, the track is musically a practically direct copy of a song called "You Messed up a Good Thing".

"You Messed up a Good Thing" was composed by Oliver Sain, the original recording by Fontella Bass and Bobby McClure was released in January 1965 on Checker 1097 coupled with "Baby What You Want Me to Do" (the same Jimmy Reed song that the Squires played live). The 45 was advertised in the 23 January 1965 issue of Billboard and reviewed in the "Singles Reviews" -section in the category "Rhythm & Blues Spotlights". The exact recording date of the Curtis Knight version is unknown but the RSVP single "How Would You Feel" (with "Welcome Home" on the b-side) was released in April 1966, circa 15 months later.

Listen to "You Messed up a Good Thing" on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbYhsoOnmBA)."

stplsd
02-25-11, 06:19 PM

For sure in the UK, at least, Marc was seen as being in the same "spirit" as Jimi, but not really musically quite on his plane, it would have been fun though, and tantalisingly possible as they had common musical near brushes/aquaintances/lovers from RSG 1966 onwards, although they never appear to have actually met:-)

stplsd
02-25-11, 06:28 PM
I heartily disagree! Without any real evidence, yes. Some of those recordings seem to have "natural" audience noises.

Exactly "seem to have" I suggest you listen more closely. They all have no more than a couple of voices, mostly the band shouting insults at each other and for the rest just a couple of guys and women squabbling. All the intros are very obviously dubbed.

dino77
02-25-11, 06:30 PM
They all have no more than a couple of voices, mostly the band shouting insults at each other and for the rest just a couple of guys and women squabbling.

Maybe the total audience in a New Jersey club on a snowy night? ;)

stplsd
02-25-11, 06:38 PM
Maybe the total audience in a New Jersey club on a snowy night? ;)

A great "band" (all Jimi + "whoever") playing (singing ~ 50% Jimi (no evidence of an intrumental contribution by Curtis on anything) + several instrumentals with obviously no Curtis) great tunes (basically/obviously Jimi recording his influences/faves at this time. With, possibly Lonnie & on his James Brown songs, and, okay, Curtis on a couple of crap choice ballads only), unlikely response a couple band members, or four/five max people only, no background sound of audience hubbub, or any response at all. This band played the top nightspots in NY at this time, Ondines & the Cheetah and were appreciated by the Stones etc.! The intros are obviously dubbed on as well. They (Jimi) had accsess to free studio time at PPX. It's in your face!

dino77
02-25-11, 06:45 PM
A great band playing great tunes, unlikely response four/five max people only, no background sound of audience hubbub, or any responce at all, this band played the top nightspots in NY at this time Ondines & the Cheetah. The intros are obviously dubbed on as well. It's in your face!

Some of these tracks are continous on the ATM edition, i.e. no cut between tracks and with intros. On most of the lp's the intros are cut-and-pasted from other places on the tape, but not "dubbed on" . I dunno, there's no way you can prove most of tracks aren't live (only 4 have no audience noise at all), so it's in yo face too! ;)

As an aside, Curtis dedicates a couple of songs to "you baby, Carol", surely Carol Shiroky...Jimi stole her in May, so those songs at least pre-date May 1966.

stplsd
02-25-11, 06:56 PM
Some of these tracks are continous on the ATM edition, i.e. no cut between tracks and with intros. .

So? that's just how they chose to present them, back to back, there is no way that this is a continuous live performance, get real. You're just embarrassing yourself.

First "live" recording of Jimi Nashville, USA June/July 65, next Paris (Texas?) Olympia 66.

Dream on, as many appear to want to do in face of the 'in your face' evidence for some obscure (that's the way it was in my day?) reason;-)

Of course I had, initially, 'clutched at straws' hoping I had heard the 'live' r&b Jimi beginnings, but you just have to face up to the fact that it's a different thing:-)

Gypsy Eyes
02-25-11, 10:03 PM
For sure in the UK, at least, Marc was seen as being in the same "spirit" as Jimi, but not really musically quite on his plane, it would have been fun though, and tantalisingly possible as they had common musical near brushes/aquaintances/lovers from RSG 1966 onwards, although they never appear to have actually met:-)

Yes, Ready Steady Go, I read that recently. 1966... woah, both in their pre-positions there, if that makes sense. It really woulda been something if they had met!

Roland Stone
02-26-11, 01:40 AM
In her autobiography Janis Ian writes that she jammed extensively with Jimi. Usually she played keys - as I recall it was just the two of them and the jams would last for hours.

As for fantasy jams - how about an acoustic jam with Jimi and Jose Feliciano on acoustic guitars?

Actually my fantasy revolves around the people Jimi DID jam with and wishing they'd played better songs than they did. For instance, Jimi and Johnny Winter doing "Highway 61 Revisited." Or Jimi and John McLaughlin doing "Marbles" or "Don't Let the Dragon Eat your Mother". Or Jimi and Morrison doing "Break on Through". Or Jimi and Jack Bruce doing "Sunshine of Your Love". Too many of Jimi's colloborative jams seem like wasted opportunities.

dino77
02-26-11, 03:33 AM
So? that's just how they chose to present them, back to back, there is no way that this is a continuous live performance, get real. You're just embarrassing yourself.

First "live" recording of Jimi Nashville, USA June/July 65, next Paris (Texas?) Olympia 66.

Dream on, as many appear to want to do in face of the 'in your face' evidence for some obscure (that's the way it was in my day?) reason;-)

Of course I had, initially, 'clutched at straws' hoping I had heard the 'live' r&b Jimi beginnings, but you just have to face up to the fact that it's a different thing:-)

If you had bothered to listen, you'll note there are a number of real transitions between tracks. Not saying all tracks are a continuos performance, that's your claim.

But for some, winning an argument is more important than everythyng...pathetic! Get real! (See I know how to format my text to put emphasis on EVERYTHING too so people will believe me!)

stplsd
02-26-11, 07:08 AM
there are a number of real transitions between tracks

ie the fake "live" intros and "bar conversations" (or whatever it is, it's certainly not an "audience";-)

thefrenchowl
02-26-11, 09:10 PM
... Back on track...

Tony Williams... Might have had an ego the size of a country, but gawd, could he play...

Patrick

Bodhi
02-26-11, 10:37 PM
Funkadelic, Pink Floyd, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Beatles, Santana, Bob Dylan, Miles Davis, Ravi Shankar, David Bowie, Van Morrison, Jeff Beck

billo528
02-26-11, 11:17 PM
Dylan

electric or acoustic

ranasakawa
02-26-11, 11:55 PM
Clapton, Duane Allman, Deep Purple, Mountain, Led Zeppelin, Traffic and Miles Davis.

Experiencereunited
02-27-11, 12:10 AM
In contrast to this thread which is only inspired by our imaginations and wishes what are your favorite collaborations of what we do have.

Mine are:

Jack Casady both 10-10-1968 late show and 4-27-69
Buddy Miles 2-4-1968 (He was only a guest at this show)
All the jams w/various musicians of 6-22-1969
Virgil Gonzalez 10-11-1968 Early Show
Most of the Larry Young jams I have heard
Steve Winwood and Jack Casady (the official Voodoo Chile)
The jams with Love and Arthur Lee I have heard
The Hanson and Karlson jams (sorry haters of these. I think they are beautiful)

Other opinions/favorites

MourningStar
02-27-11, 12:52 AM
In contrast to this thread which is only inspired by our imaginations and wishes what are your favorite collaborations of what we do have. ...Hmmmmmmm, let me think ..... ok:

Billy Cox
Buddy Miles
Mitch Mitchell
Noel Redding

... now back to topic

MourningStar
02-27-11, 12:52 AM
Robert Johnson

Ezy Rider
02-27-11, 01:57 AM
^But, but, but, but . . . Jimi was not even born yet! :-)

BobJahBob
02-27-11, 08:17 AM
I wish he had played/recorded with Albert Ayler during his lifetime & had he lived projects with Zappa, Roland Kirk, Miles Davis, Beefheart & maybe even Tom Waits down the track.
I'm less chuffed with any notion he would of hooked up with unimaginative dolts like Clapton & Angus Young or heaven forbid dueling guitar elevator drones with Dave Gilmour.

Fenders Fingers
02-27-11, 11:36 AM
Robert Johnson

I'll ask him as he works with me ! Oh not that Rob Johnson, sorry lol
But this thought is a good one and I'd like to add Mr Hopkins who I still have a mind that these two chaps our as close as close when it comes to impovising the blues.

MourningStar
02-27-11, 12:06 PM
Walter Carlos

MourningStar
02-27-11, 12:09 PM
Ennio Morricone

MourningStar
02-27-11, 12:11 PM
Aaron Copland

MourningStar
02-27-11, 12:12 PM
Lalo Shifrin

Experiencereunited
02-27-11, 05:08 PM
The rumored jam with Zappa that the Zappa estate supposedly owns is something I would love to hear. This is one collaboration that actually happened that very few have heard.

susep73
02-27-11, 06:04 PM
In terms of his contemporaries:

James Brown
Bob Marley, Jimi's leads w/ have beautifully augmented Bob's arrangements
Grateful Dead, arguably the 2 alpha's of the late sixties jam band scene, Hendrix may have jammed w/ GD members at Monterey but not in a full band setting. Pigpen and Jimi? Holy f***!
Buddy Guy, I'm sure you would have seen Jimi link up w/ a whole cross section of musicians/bands
Santana/Carlos,
Miles Davis, outside of Jimi's bedroom apartment.
Mingus
Allman Brothers

Experiencereunited
02-27-11, 06:18 PM
Finally Bowing to the fantasy jam topic at hand as opposed to my previous posts about existing jams.

Grateful Dead or just jams with the rhythm section of GD (Phil, Billy and Mickey)
Duane Allman or ABB proper
Santana
Cream (this actually happened but no known recordings thumbdown1jerk1)
HELM might just have been ultra cool
Les Paul
Widespread Panic
Mountain or maybe just with Felix Papillardi
A more formal jam with the Doors as opposed to the Drunken revelry at the Scene Club with Jim Morrison that we have
More jams with Steve Winwood or perhaps the rumored band with Mitch, Winwood and Casady
Quicksilver Messenger Service
More jams with horn sections

Feels like tons of other possibilities but thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Experiencereunited
02-27-11, 06:23 PM
Pigpen and Jimi? Holy f***!

That would definately be something. A few others occured to me.

Papa John Creach, How about Jimi, Pigpen, Papa John Creach, Winwood and Mitch for a band????

John Lennon

stplsd
02-27-11, 06:41 PM
Jimi

Roland Stone
02-27-11, 07:39 PM
This thread is getting out of control. Just to bring it a little closer back to reality - the Jimi/Taj Mahal jam remains uncirculated - if Janie's got it, I wonder if we'll ever hear it? Ditto for the Stephen Stills material.

MourningStar
02-27-11, 08:21 PM
This thread is getting out of control. Just to bring it a little closer back to reality -...'Wishing' is not reality?

zombywoof57
02-27-11, 09:33 PM
Lawrence Welk

Bodhi
03-02-11, 11:40 AM
Mountain

I thought this happened?

billo528
03-02-11, 02:42 PM
who living or dead would you wanted to hear Jimi jam with, that he hasnt already?

Sounds strange since their styles or so radically different, but I would've loved to hear an acoustic jam between Bob marley and Jimi. That would've been cool

OK suspend all time and space restrictions right?? Living or dead?

As pure fantasy I'd like to see the following impossible JH Blues Deluxe boxed set released by EH

Disc 1 Acoustic: recordings done at Sun Studios Memphis with:
Charly Patton
Blind Lemon Jefferson
Son House
Peetie Wheatstraw (original Voodoo Child)?

Disc 2 Electric : recordings done at Chess Studios Chicago with
Muddy Waters
Willie Dixon
Otis Spann
Elmore James
Howlin' Wolf

disc 3 With the Ladies recorded at Atlantic Studios NYC

Ma Rainey
Bessie Smith
Etta James

disc 4 Jazztime recorded anywhere

Charlie Parker
John Coltrane

BONUS DVD

"Cutting Contest" with T. Bone Walker ( Memphis Chicago Harlem any streetcorner )

see the 2 try out do each other.........
behind the back
between the legs . etc.

MourningStar
03-02-11, 09:31 PM
OK suspend all time and space restrictions right?? Living or dead?

As pure fantasy I'd like to see the following impossible JH Blues Deluxe boxed set released by EH

Disc 1 Acoustic: recordings done at Sun Studios Memphis with:
Charly Patton
Blind Lemon Jefferson
Son House
Peetie Wheatstraw (original Voodoo Child)?

Disc 2 Electric : recordings done at Chess Studios Chicago with
Muddy Waters
Willie Dixon
Otis Spann
Elmore James
Howlin' Wolf

disc 3 With the Ladies recorded at Atlantic Studios NYC

Ma Rainey
Bessie Smith
Etta James

disc 4 Jazztime recorded anywhere

Charlie Parker
John Coltrane

BONUS DVD

"Cutting Contest" with T. Bone Walker ( Memphis Chicago Harlem any streetcorner )

see the 2 try out do each other.........
behind the back
between the legs . etc.Nice list, but clash of styles makes for a bummer fantasy.

;)

MourningStar
03-02-11, 10:27 PM
me.Honestly? Me too.
weavzy and morelmusic

peace1

Roland Stone
03-02-11, 11:08 PM
Ok, this one is not as far from reality as you might think:

Jimi Hendrix meets Mrs. Miller!

Anybody here know why its closer to the truth than you might imagine?

devilchasnme
11-12-11, 09:35 PM
Well, I'm of the opinion that the blues doesn't really happen until someone blows a harp, so -
James Cotton, Kim Wilson, George Harmonica Smith, William Clarke, Junior Wells, R.J. Mischo

It's something I've always felt that Jimi's blues lacked.

Voodoo Kush
11-12-11, 09:51 PM
Kelly Greer

oh wait, that's me:bang:

All childishness aside, I think JMH would compliment these artists perfectly:

* Grover Washington Jr. (check out "Juffure" off live at the Bijou)
* Jaco Pastorius
* Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
* Lonnie Liston Smith
* Tito Puente
* Billy Cobham
* John Bonham
* Stevie Ray Vaughan and all the other great guitar kings that jammed together in the 80's (B.B. King, Clapton, Buddy Guy)
* War - that was a great combination
* Herbie Hancock
* More horn jams like "South Saturn Delta" and "Blue Window Blues"
* More Traffic jams

In my opinion, all he needed was a strong, Earth like rhythm section so he could fly into space.

ranasakawa
11-13-11, 04:35 AM
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Allman Brothers Band
Pink Floyd
Eric Clapton

stplsd
11-13-11, 07:54 AM
Englebert Humperdinck;)

purple jim
11-13-11, 09:09 AM
Englebert Humperdinck;)

Yeah, he'd already had a hit with "Release Me" so he could've easily got his chops around "Killing Floor" : "I should have quit you baby a looong time agoooo..." :)

manfree
11-13-11, 09:10 AM
I think I may have said this before earlier on in this thread but......
Eddie Hazel

Fenders Fingers
11-13-11, 12:24 PM
Englebert Humperdinck;)
lol

stplsd
11-13-11, 10:32 PM
Okay, he already did jam on it, but I live in hope that a better quality Dusty Springfield jam recording surfaces, film too! Now that would be super-'fab';)

Justin
11-14-11, 02:12 AM
SRV or John Mayer

dino77
11-14-11, 02:58 AM
Okay, he already did jam on it, but I live in hope that a better quality Dusty Springfield jam recording surfaces, film too! Now that would be super-'fab';)

Dusty and Jimi should have done some real project. Unlike Lulu she was the real deal, but maybe Jimi didn't want to go back in that direction...

dino77
11-14-11, 02:59 AM
SRV or John Mayer

I can see it - Jimmy James and His Copycats.

Sharpstat
11-14-11, 10:16 PM
Dusty and Jimi should have done some real project. Unlike Lulu she was the real deal, but maybe Jimi didn't want to go back in that direction...

Or he never had the opportunity to do it again? Dusty with such a soulful voice. It would take some planning to do a "real project" ask Miles Davis!

soccertackle14
11-14-11, 11:59 PM
SRV or John Mayer
I would really love to see Mayer break out and do some of his own work. He's a fantastic player but the material he actually writes is always sappy "get in her pants" genre. Nothing wrong with that motive ;) , but man he could really kill some blues if he tried.

trampledunderfoot
11-15-11, 01:35 AM
Any members of the Beatles. Maybe the rhythm section (Bonham and Jonesy) of Zeppelin.

Just for fun: Bowie. :p

Satorius
12-29-11, 12:10 PM
Jaco Pastorius
Tony Iommi

MourningStar
12-29-11, 12:16 PM
Jaco Pastorius
Tony Iommiwhy?

Satorius
12-29-11, 09:42 PM
why?

Jaco was the greatest bass player of all time. Like Jimi was the greatest guitarist. And Jaco was a fantastic improviser too. He played Purple Haze and Third Stone From The Sun all the time in his career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beUPfUDxYWw Purple Haze
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMIKgQ0HnzE Purple Haze/Third Stone From The Sun/Teen Town
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOBuN2IlevI Star Spangled Banner

I would love to hear Jimi jamming with Tony Iommi! The result would have been some fantastic blues-influenced metal songs.

Sharpstat
12-29-11, 10:12 PM
Jaco was the greatest bass player of all time. Like Jimi was the greatest guitarist. And Jaco was a fantastic improviser too. He played Purple Haze and Third Stone From The Sun all the time in his career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beUPfUDxYWw Purple Haze
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMIKgQ0HnzE Purple Haze/Third Stone From The Sun/Teen Town
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOBuN2IlevI Star Spangled Banner

I would love to hear Jimi jamming with Tony Iommi! The result would have been some fantastic blues-influenced metal songs.

He was one of the greatest bass players ever. I cannot call him the greatest and I love Jaco but also Stanley Clarke, Alfonso Johnson,James Jamerson all of them are unique.Weather Report would rehearse at Joe Zawinul's house which was about 1/4 mile from where I lived.I went to High school with Joe Zawinul's son Anthony.

thunderbaas
12-30-11, 04:50 AM
Englebert Humperdinck;)

Engelbert Pumpernickel, well that would have been a treat,and quite possible as they were on the same tour

thunderbaas
12-30-11, 05:12 AM
Just imagine Jimmy & Billy Cobham on an Album like "Spectrum" (On which the incredible Tommy Bolin tears it up)
And as we're talking about Tommy Bolin,that would have been a great combination,two such inventive players !!!

As we've entered the imaginary stratosphere allready,how about this one :
Jimi taking a stab on "Smoke On The Water" I'm sure he'd let it rip (Blackmore eat your heart out LOL )

Aah well,so much possibillities,
Would have loved to hear some full orchestration versions of for instance some ballads under Jimi's supervision,
or "Burning Of The Midnight Lamp" with a big choir !?!?

Well fantasy,what would we do without it..............

dino77
12-30-11, 11:38 AM
I would have no wish to hear Jimi with chops-players. That's not what Jimi was about IMO.
He was a musical messenger, not a wanker like most guitar players.
Some far-out collaboration with Sun Ra, Miles Davis or Roland Kirk would have been cool.
And why not a soulful re-union with the amazing Isley Bros!

Sharpstat
12-30-11, 01:29 PM
Yes the Isley's and Jimi would definitely been funky! Ernie Isley tried to carry the flame. I still believe Jimi would have gone towards a Jazz fusion angle. Miles was trying to get it started at the time Jimi died. For example I love the jam with Jimi, Richie Havens and Eric Oxendine!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULCgwWiW0IM&feature=colike

Yazid Manou
08-01-12, 09:18 AM
the Jimi/Taj Mahal jam remains uncirculated - if Janie's got it, I wonder if we'll ever hear it?
I do not know if it has been seen before but a friend posted an amazing link on her Facebook page today ! Someone gaved on YouTube the legendary jam between Jim & Taj that I never heard before !

http://youtu.be/MJtuKa2X1vU
http://youtu.be/USHsNaK7vy0
http://youtu.be/0qSf1poVRAo

It said it was from Jimi's apartment in NY on January 21st, 1970 but we all know it's from Beverly Rodeo Hyatt House beginning of June 1969 few days before Newport.

I immediately informed Taj Mahal as I promote his albums in France for years. I do wait his comments !

The funny thing is that it has been posted on YouTube on November 22nd, 2011 by 3 different pseudos : Sunvyan, Savutichobe and FMeiLove from Botswana ! I suppose it may be the same person anyway :-)

YM

Horizon
08-01-12, 09:24 AM
I do not know if it has been seen before but a friend posted an amazing link on her Facebook page today ! Someone gaved on YouTube the legendary jam between Jim & Taj that I never heard before !

http://youtu.be/MJtuKa2X1vU
http://youtu.be/USHsNaK7vy0
http://youtu.be/0qSf1poVRAo

It said it was from Jimi's apartment in NY on January 21st, 1970 but we all know it's from Beverly Rodeo Hyatt House beginning of June 1969 few days before Newport.

I immediately informed Taj Mahal as I promote his albums in France for years. I do wait his comments !

The funny thing is that it has been posted on YouTube on November 22nd, 2011 by 3 different pseudos : Sunvyan, Savutichobe and FMeiLove from Botswana ! I suppose it may be the same person anyway :-)

YM
You can download it here:
http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?717-Jimi-s-Private-Reels-Volumes-1-amp-2-(re-seed)

Yazid Manou
08-01-12, 09:52 AM
You can download it here
Thanks a lot ! I'm always late finding new stuff here !! But why no one ever wrote the name of Taj Mahal in the comments ???!!!

YM

carlygtr56
08-01-12, 11:01 AM
Jimi would have killed with Johnny Winter And's band, Rick Derringer, Randy Jo Hobbs, Bobby Caldwell

Yazid Manou
08-01-12, 12:24 PM
But why no one ever wrote the name of Taj Mahal in the comments ???!!!
Maybe no one talked about Taj Mahal 'cos (maybe) they knew it was not Taj playing !!

Here is Taj answer !

"Not even close Yazid!

I always played a National Steel Guitar!

The second guitar is electric and definitely not me!

They keep trying and they keep on missing!!

Taj"

Another french specialist (Régis "Ayler" Canselier) said two names were given for this recording : Taj Mahal and Jim McCarty. Well, for sure, it's definitely not Taj !!

I hope we'll hear the real jam one day !

YM

johanincr
08-01-12, 12:28 PM
Its Jim Mc Carthy, like we've known for 99.000 an one half year.

The 'real' Taj Mahal jam is on one of the Black Gold tapes. Which we'll probably never hear btw.

Luigi
08-01-12, 05:24 PM
http://crosstowntorrents.org/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Roland Stone http://crosstowntorrents.org/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?p=47730#post47730)
the Jimi/Taj Mahal jam remains uncirculated - if Janie's got it, I wonder if we'll ever hear it?

“From The Benjamin Franklin Studios”:
Miscellaneous Apartment Jams
Country Blues (11:47)
Jam 2 (6:05)
Room Full Of Mirrors(9:58)
Astro Man/Valleys Of Neptune (3:34)
Power Of Soul Jam (7:16)
Jam 3 (1:23)
Jam 4 (21:35)
These tracks were recorded by Jimi with an unknown guitarist mid/late 1969 at either his Shokan House or New York apartment. They have appeared on 5 bootlegs so far. Acoustic Jams, Two Sides Of The Same Genius, Apartment Jam '70, the extremely rare Apatment Jams acetate and Session 4.
I do not think this is the Taj Mahal. Also I remember that the book “Scuse me while i kiss the sky – the life of Jimi Hendrix (D. Henderson) or Jimi Hendrix. Electric Gypsy (H. Shapiro – C. Glebbeek) said that the jam with Taj Mahal was recorded at Topanga Canyon outdoors with the singing of crickets in the background .

BlackIrish55
08-01-12, 06:11 PM
I would like to have heard him play with Coltrane circa "A Love Supreme" or "Impressions" era or Parliament his version of "Super Stupid" would kick ass.

Roland Stone
08-01-12, 09:29 PM
For me its not a matter of who else he might have jammed with. He already did plenty of jamming with notables. My regret is that he did not choose better material for those jams! He jams with Jack Bruce and doesn't play "Sunshine of Your Love"? He jams with Johnny Winter and doesn't play "Highway 61"? He jams with Stevie Winwood and doesn't play "Dear Mr. Fantasy"? He jams with Steven Stills and doesn't play "For What it's Worth"? The list of missed opportunities goes on and on.

dino77
08-02-12, 05:58 AM
For me its not a matter of who else he might have jammed with. He already did plenty of jamming with notables. My regret is that he did not choose better material for those jams! He jams with Jack Bruce and doesn't play "Sunshine of Your Love"? He jams with Johnny Winter and doesn't play "Highway 61"? He jams with Stevie Winwood and doesn't play "Dear Mr. Fantasy"? He jams with Steven Stills and doesn't play "For What it's Worth"? The list of missed opportunities goes on and on.

Those jams were for coming up with new material and stretching out musically...wouldn't it have been a bit regressive to play the "hits" of the participants?
Also, consider that all kinds of drugs and drink, groupies and other distracting elements were involved in most of those jams....

MourningStar
08-02-12, 10:27 AM
For me its not a matter of who else he might have jammed with. He already did plenty of jamming with notables. My regret is that he did not choose better material for those jams!Those jams were for coming up with new material and stretching out musically ...
precisely, but more for the camaraderie and just having fun times - why d'ya think they're called 'jams'??!!

jhendrixfanatic
08-02-12, 11:27 AM
The free-flowing river of creativity that is the essence of jamming. Back in the day, jamming was very revered. The amazing thing for me is that they were that creative and that inspirational all at once. I mean, really? You just thought all that shit up off the top of your head!?

MourningStar
08-02-12, 11:49 AM
... I mean, really? You just thought all that shit up off the top of your head!?yep! - total spontaneity. Complete, total and unrehearsed fun at it's finest.

crazee_canuck
03-08-13, 10:02 PM
The rumored jam with Zappa that the Zappa estate supposedly owns is something I would love to hear. This is one collaboration that actually happened that very few have heard.

/me wants!

Zappa + Hendrix = <3

BobJahBob
03-09-13, 12:37 AM
Did he ever Jam with the woodstock era Santana line-up? Without carlos even better haha

BobJahBob
03-09-13, 12:44 AM
Is there any more tapes with Love? The book on arthur lee did mention Jimi/love jams & tape rolling

I'll go dig out the book ermmm

Edit: Just flicked through the book it does mention Jimi jamming with Love at Arthurs house but nothing about tape rolling however Arthur said he was made aware in the early 90s that film was taken during the Hendrix/Love Olympic session hmmm interesting, i dunno I'm sure i read somewhere that jams between the pair may have been recorded

alien
03-09-13, 01:17 PM
Marc Bolan? The glamrock guy ?Really ?There was only one good glamrock band : Slade

MourningStar
03-09-13, 01:49 PM
Did he ever Jam with the woodstock era Santana line-up? Without carlos even better hahapersonally, I believe Santana had an influence on Hendrix. And not just via an expanded line-up, I can hear Carlos' influence in some Hendrix material. However, it is well publicized that Hendrix was an enormous influence on Carlos. How many guitar-slingers out there wear Hendrix t-shirts while performing?

Mystic Man
05-03-13, 08:24 PM
It would have been interesting to hear Jimi jam with the Jefferson Airplane on their version of "Fat Angel" or a collaboration with Randy California and the original lineup of Spirit.

Mystic Man
05-03-13, 08:35 PM
It would have been interesting to hear Jimi jam with the Jefferson Airplane on their version of "Fat Angel" or a collaboration with Randy California and the original lineup of Spirit.

Siciliano
05-06-13, 06:21 PM
I wish he would have recorded with Grover Washington Jr. It appears Jimi was headed that direction in the 1970's. I think they would have crossed paths and would have been great together since there's much guitar work in Grover's music.

Roland Stone
05-06-13, 09:44 PM
In some interview, can't remember which, Jimi talks about playing Mrs. Miller records slowed down and backwards. I think if Jimi had lived to the hip-hop era, we might have heard him DJ'ing his Mrs. Miller collection.

charliedontsurf69
07-11-13, 11:50 AM
Peter Green, Johnny Marr George Harrison Paul Kossoff Jeff Lynne Mick Ronson Danny Kirwan

Dud121
07-11-13, 10:39 PM
I'd like to have heard what Hendrix could have contributed to the band Morphine. Not in your face Hendrix frontman ripping, the ace ensemble Hendrix. Morphine was a trio based on some killing 2 string slide bass riffs, horns, drums. Moody and quirky with some great hooks and room for "sounds" along with straight playing. That scenario intrigues me much more than Hendrix and an endless list of guitar greats.

charliedontsurf69
07-12-13, 06:43 AM
I'd like to have heard what Hendrix could have contributed to the band Morphine. Not in your face Hendrix frontman ripping, the ace ensemble Hendrix. Morphine was a trio based on some killing 2 string slide bass riffs, horns, drums. Moody and quirky with some great hooks and room for "sounds" along with straight playing. That scenario intrigues me much more than Hendrix and an endless list of guitar greats.

If I Close My Eyes I Can See Hendrix Jam On 3 Chords Riff :jimihendrix-jimi-he

R.I.P.- Randy Kaye
10-28-14, 08:34 PM
a power trio of jaco pastorius and tony williams