PDA

View Full Version : THE TIME IS NOW! (Farewell 2009)

Olvator
12-18-09, 04:53 AM
Dear fellow CTT members and colleages....

It is just a few days before Christmas and the new decade is in sight. Before most of us will vanish from their computers to hang out with their families, or maybe boycott the whole bloody thing :-) I would like to adress some things that have been on my mind recently ( and while visiting our friend Johan aka johanincr, I found out that he keeps the same thoughts in his head)....

Let me tell you a true story, which just happened to me this week.

About 2 years ago, when I started doing more serious research about the Fehmarn Festival, and created my website, I was lucky to get in touch with a lot of people who were part of the scene here in Germany during the 60/70ties. One of them was german journalist Joerg Guelden. Joerg was a wonderful guy, and he promised to get back to me, when he would have finished his then recent project which was a book about Woodstock, and he also told me that he had retracked an old friend of his during his own research, who was german, but had been to Woodstock and IOW and many many festivals and concerts, and also had taped many shows. It did not really click with me back then, because we were engaged in other topics , and anyway Joerg did not want to tell me too much before the book was finished, which I understood.

Anyway, yesterday I bought the book. I found it by coincidence when I had to accompany my girlfriend for shopping. I thought to myself, oh great, he finished the book, I should call him again, maybe he has some time for me now.

On my way back in the metro, I read some of the book and found some really exciting passages of interviews with that "taper dude"(whose name has been changed for the book), and I freaked out completely, when he said that he had taped many many bands at Woodstock and among them also the entire Hendrix set. What a sensation! A guy from Germany, reportedly still living just 70 miles from me, on a farm growing weed and biological food (yes, that´s what the book says) who has hundreds of reels in his home among them the full uncut Woodstock set.....a dream come true. All I would have to do to find out who he is was to call Joerg Guelden, and get back in touch with him.

Well, so I did call, and what do I find out? Joerg Guelden died two months ago. FUCK!!!!

I am trying to find people that Joerg knew in the 70ties, cause maybe they could remember anything about that infamous guy. If that does not succeed, we have lost another valuable contact to someone who sits on a goldmine.

So what does this story tell you?

The time to act out, get active and do some research of your own is NOW!

We have another 10-15 years maybe, then most of the people who where back there back then will have died. This is no joke. After that, their children often just throw away anything there is, without knowing that it might be a genuine Jimi Hendrix recording, 8mm footage, or pictures. I think it is the duty of our generation of Hendrix nuts to try to save as much as possible. For the next 10 years, we still have the possibility to discover more stuff that surely must be out there.

It is amazing, by looking back, what load of material has come my way since I have been working on my website. All I did was put it up, and let things happen. Maybe a bit of announcing about its existence to friends and on a few forums, and within 3 months, I had 2 never before heard audience recordings, a new 8mm film, about 50 new pictures. It is so easy.

Why don´t some of you (the more advanced and fanatic members of CTT) set up blogs on the topic "JIMI in my Hometown" be it New York, LA, Chicago, Paris, etc, etc...setting up a blog is really easy nowadays. I am sure that we have many people here who would contribute all necessary material to pep those blogs up with photos and articles, they are actually already on the website. It takes one day of your life to do this, not more. Then tell a local newspaper, or anyone interested about the existence of that blog and sit back for a while. I am absolutely convinced that something good would turn out.

Another really useful thing that I developed to do is to simply ask almost everyone I meet who is above 55-60 if they ever saw Jimi, or knew of anyone seeing him. Or if they ever recorded any concerts or knew someone back then who did. You will be amazed at what some people (which you would expect the least to do so) will tell you.

With this in mind, I wish all of you a happy switch into 2010, let the good times roll.
:thayou219bl:

olvator

DoctorGero
12-18-09, 06:52 AM
My bet is that the tape he owns is already circulating and is known as the Eddy Kramer tape.

Olvator
12-18-09, 07:01 AM
My bet is that the tape he owns is already circulating and is known as the Eddy Kramer tape.

no way....it is an audience tape (there must still be actually more of those somewhere). look at this picture....it is highly possible that that actually is the guy we are looking for....as Johan pointed out, this guy with his portable reel can´t possibly have been a part of the film crew.

purple jim
12-18-09, 07:48 AM
Great initiative Olvator. I'll put a notice up on my site and see if anything comes in.

thefrenchowl
12-18-09, 08:03 AM
Heu, the new decade is still a year away, it won't start until the 01/01/2011.. (count on your fingers if you don't believe me...

Patrick

karsten
12-18-09, 08:29 AM
Guess you missed the point..

I talked to a guy yesterday, who confirmed that the Exp did indeed did perform for 40 minutes at "Star Club" in Copenhagen on the 6th of January 1968.
It was on this ocassion Jimi's hat was stolen (Smash hits, Electric Ladyland part2).
Imagine Jimi and Exp performed unannounced for 40 minutes for free and then a guy ran of with his hat!
The guy actually sold the hat at Christies about 20-years ago..

purple jim
12-18-09, 12:17 PM
Heu, the new decade is still a year away, it won't start until the 01/01/2011.. (count on your fingers if you don't believe me...
Patrick

For me, for example, the 60's ran from 1960 to 1969. That's ten years (count it on yer fingers). I wouldn't say that 1970 was part of the 60s decade.
So 2000 to 2009 was the decade of the noughties.

stplsd
12-18-09, 08:50 PM
I talked to a guy yesterday, who confirmed that the Exp did indeed did perform for 40 minutes at "Star Club" in Copenhagen on the 6th of January 1968.

"I talked to a guy" So, it must be true then! ha-ha-ha;-)

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:date Year="1968" Day="6" Month="1">Saturday 06 January 1968</st1:date> <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
København, Star <st1:place><st1:City>Club</st1:City>, <st1:country-region>Denmark</st1:country-region></st1:place><o:p></o:p>
The JHE jammed with the house-band.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t202 path="m,l,21600r21600,l21600,xe" o:spt="202" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t"></v:path></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_s1026 style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; Z-INDEX: 1; MARGIN-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 87.15pt; POSITION: absolute; HEIGHT: 19.95pt; mso-wrap-style: none; mso-position-horizontal-relative: char; mso-position-vertical-relative: line" strokecolor="silver" fillcolor="silver" type="#_x0000_t202"><v:textbox style="mso-fit-shape-to-text: t"></v:textbox></v:shape><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Songs: unknown<o:p></o:p>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600" stroked="f" filled="f" o:preferrelative="t"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 87pt; HEIGHT: 20.25pt" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata cropbottom="65520f" croptop="-65520f"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o:p></o:p>
Ole ‘Frø’ Alstrup: “After that Jimi wanted to be left alone, which I respected as a fellow musician. So I took Mitch and Noel to a private party…<o:p></o:p>
Jimi stayed behind at the ‘Star Club’, in the company of journalist Helle Hellmann.<o:p></o:p>
Steen Lang Utche: “On the ground floor of the ‘Star Club’ there was a special bar reserved for musicians and selected guests, a kind of closed section. I talked with Jimi there, while Jimi was enjoying his meal [of chicken], his hat was stolen. This was a great loss to Jimi as it wasn’t just a hat. Jimi’s hands were trembling so much after the theft that it took four matches to light his next Benson & Hedges cigarette. Jimi was feeling devastated about it. I remember Jimi holding onto Ole because he said that he would help Jimi get back his hat, by finding out who had been in the bar that night...”<o:p></o:p>
[On <st1:date Year="1991" Day="22" Month="8">22 August 1991</st1:date> Jimi’s hat was sold as <st1:place>Lot</st1:place> 415 at Sotheby’s in <st1:City><st1:place>London</st1:place></st1:City> for £13,000 by the thief who had kept the hat at his home for twenty-three years]<o:p></o:p>

stplsd
12-18-09, 08:55 PM
For me, for example, the 60's ran from 1960 to 1969. That's ten years (count it on yer fingers). I wouldn't say that 1970 was part of the 60s decade.
So 2000 to 2009 was the decade of the noughties.

My "cultural" 60's ran from 64/65 until 73/74

stplsd
12-18-09, 09:02 PM

Don't be a pathetic dead person - pass it on into the eternal! ie other Jimi fans

Olvator
12-19-09, 04:17 AM
Don't be a pathetic dead person - pass it on into the eternal! ie other Jimi fans

that´s right! And I think all others should be grateful! Let´s start with you , stlsp, right away. Thank you for sharing so much valuable infos on Jimi, all your press clippings and quotes, are really out of sight! You are a MAJOR contributor to this site, even if you sometimes come along like a little bitch :-) JUST KIDDING...THANK YOU!

Thanks to relliott for his everlasting help with photo infos and rare photos themselves.

And thanks to people like crazymike for putting up his NorthEastsite, and finding new stuff that way.

You are all heroes to me! Including everyone I forgot right now...

and you all know what?

I will lead with a good example and just create a blog called JIMI HENDRIX IN HAMBURG right now.....

Olompali
12-19-09, 05:53 AM
It's always now
And nothing ever
Goes away
Everything
Is here to stay
And it's always now

It's always now
There never
Was a used to be
Everything
Is still with me
And it's alawys now

So brace your heart
Save yourself
Some sanity
It's more
Than just a memory
And it's always now
And here's your part
Sing it like a melody
There's really
Only you and me
And it's always now

There's really
Only you and me
And it's always now

/Willie Nelson

Olvator
12-19-09, 05:56 AM
there you go.....took one hour (and is still far from being complete or really cleverly arranged, gimme 1-2 more days).....

if any of you would like to do this for your hometown, just get in touch, and I will help as good as I can do supply you with material for you blog....

http://hendrix-in-hamburg.blogspot.com/

purple jim
12-19-09, 06:20 AM
More pictures of Hamburg gigs can be found easily on Ayler's forum:
http://hendrix.aceboard.fr/264448-2563-326-0-Sommaire-Chronologie-concerts.htm

karsten
12-19-09, 06:59 AM
[QUOTE=stplsd;25621]"I talked to a guy" So, it must be true then! ha-ha-ha;-)

I think it's strange that you start by questioning my research and then go on to cite my work. The two statements you refer to is from interviews conducted by me..

The guy I talked to was in fact the bass player of the house band. And the JHE did not jam with the house band, but played as the JHE trio.

TwoAlpha
12-19-09, 09:39 AM
Greetings Karsten, do a little search for all the posts from stplsd, you'll have a lot of reading ahead of you!. While he may come across as having a bit of an "attitude" at times, he is a major contributor here who knows his Jimi stuff.
Looking forward to more of your posts as well, sounds like you may have some excellent information to share.

karsten
12-19-09, 11:44 AM
The thing is that his whole post in this case is based on information first published in the booklet for the cd Jimi In Denmark, which was authored by Caesar Glebbeek and myself.

My point was that I find it strange that he first put doubt the credibility of my post and then cites MY research to claim his "superiority".

Herman Cherusken
12-19-09, 12:06 PM
Yeah thx all for all the tremendous work and info input made here on the site, very much appreciated...

And damn that the guy died on you Olve, hope the mans material isnt entirely lost or thrown out by his relatives. Might be someone musically enclined that took care of it all, lets at least pray that is what happened...

Lord Summerisle
12-19-09, 01:07 PM
The thing is that his whole post in this case is based on information first published in the booklet for the cd Jimi In Denmark, which was authored by Caesar Glebbeek and myself.

My point was that I find it strange that he first put doubt the credibility of my post and then cites MY research to claim his "superiority".

I wouldn't take notice of him mate, he has a major chip on his shoulder or something. Keep up the good work.

stplsd
12-19-09, 02:53 PM
, hope the mans material isnt entirely lost or thrown out by his relatives.

Kathy Etchingham says she threw a lot of Jimi's stuff in the bin, but retreived the tapes [only] after a friend said they might be worth something, that was a close shave.

stplsd
12-19-09, 03:09 PM
I talked to a guy yesterday
"I talked to a guy" is just not good enough, I don't know who you are, any old Tom, Dick or Harry, could say anything about anyone (and they do), I mean, come on;-)

I think it's strange that you start by questioning my research and then go on to cite my work. The two statements you refer to is from interviews conducted by me..

Thanks very much for your earlier stuff, but it has detail and is published by reputable people, plus I think I know who you are now.

The guy I talked to was in fact the bass player of the house band. And the JHE did not jam with the house band, but played as the JHE trio.

Now we're getting somewhere, but still: "bass player" no name? "houseband" do they not have a name? Thanks for the new info though, it was earlier published that they jammed.

I find it strange that he first put doubt the credibility of my post and then cites MY research to claim his "superiority".

I don't know who you are. There is nowhere in my post that I claim "superiority" I have merely quoted the details that have been previously published. And questioned trusting unsupported, anonymous assertion.

Herman Cherusken
12-19-09, 03:18 PM
Kathy Etchingham says she threw a lot of Jimi's stuff in the bin, but retreived the tapes [only] after a friend said they might be worth something, that was a close shave.

I always found that chick weird in that regard, even contemplating thowing Jimi's stuff away borders on immense stupidity. Can't remember what that is said she threw away (other than what stplsd mentioned), except paintings and clothes and what not. So easy to just store away...

johanincr
12-19-09, 06:27 PM
Look, friends,

at the EXCELLENT first post in this thread by Olve

and think about that for some time

if its within your powers, find us some new photos, recordings, eye-witness-accounts, newspaper articles, everyone enjoys it if you share it!

so, please keep the original topic in mind.

good evening

purple jim
12-20-09, 03:37 AM
no threats please

When stplsd said "I'll scratch your eyes out" it is in fact an old English gag/cliché which is not at all a threat. It comes from "Carry On" films or Dick Emery or perhaps prior to that. If someone (a male) effeminately says "You Bitch!" the other male would traditionally reply "Oooh, I'll scratch your eyes out!".

karsten
12-20-09, 06:52 AM
how do we get the topic back to 'creating a Jimi-in-my-hometown-blog to find more material' ???

will it really require deleting offtopic stuff - i'm asking guys almost twice my age?

It's quite easy to buy a domain and hosting suitable for country/region.
Then download a blog application like wordpress or blogspot.
You can easily find a theme template of your choice to make your blog look decent and then start writing!

Then after some weeks when Google registers the existence of your blog/site you will appear if somebody searches for "jimi" and your keywords of your local area (depends if you use those words on your blog/site).

purple jim
12-20-09, 07:21 AM
Has anyone used Wordpress to build a multiple page website ? I will eventually need to reconstruct mine with a new program I imagine (I built it with Claris Home Page way back).

Olvator
12-20-09, 09:44 AM
It's quite easy to buy a domain and hosting suitable for country/region.
Then download a blog application like wordpress or blogspot.
You can easily find a theme template of your choice to make your blog look decent and then start writing!

karsten, you don´t even have to buy a domain, google let´s you register a blog for free,which is totaly sufficient. And to start with a good example, here is my new blog about "Jimi in Deutschland"...in german of course...:-)
Let´s seee if something happens with this.

http://hendrix-in-deutschland.blogspot.com/

I will keep on working on it in the future and add some more text, but the basic theme is finished. Hope this will attract some of the older germans who were there.

stpls....you don´t happen to have old german press clipping scans maybe? would be delighted if anyone could help me out with some stuff i don´t have.

I spent one day of my life doing this....you can do it too...
I would fancy a "Jimi in Holland" blog in dutch for example. That´s only a few shows anyway, not too much work.

The italian blog by Roberto has pushed a lot of things!

johanincr
12-20-09, 10:24 AM
I would fancy a "Jimi in Holland" blog in dutch for example. That´s only a few shows anyway, not too much work.

CTT member Bendrix already has a great page about the November visit of the JHE to Holland. He spent much time on it, and i've helped a bit with photos over the years.
In case you dont read Dutch, we're trying to get into contact with people who were at the Hoepla and especially Rotterdam appearances. For that purpose, there are a few photos of large portions of the audience during the JHE show at the site.

http://users.bart.nl/~basmveck/hendrix%20in%20holland1.htm

That, and a hour-by-hour account of the JHE's whereabouts during their visit to Holland.

A blog about the Fanclub appearance in March67 i could do though, thats an idea!

MourningStar
12-20-09, 02:37 PM
When stplsd said "I'll scratch your eyes out" it is in fact an old English gag/cliché which is not at all a threat. It comes from "Carry On" films or Dick Emery or perhaps prior to that. If someone (a male) effeminately says "You Bitch!" the other male would traditionally reply "Oooh, I'll scratch your eyes out!".However, here in the good ol' USA the meaning is quite literal!

:minipersonen065:

purple jim
12-20-09, 03:21 PM
As stplsd reminded me, it comes from this Monty Python sketch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_iH1GhM2j8

TwoAlpha
01-04-10, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the read stplsd!

purple jim
01-05-10, 12:45 AM
Cool.

Ayler
01-06-10, 02:30 AM
Hallyday was filmed [and possibly JHE] for French TV program ‘Cinque Colonnes a la Une’ (04 November)
There's few images of Jimi smoking with Johnny in this excerpt:
http://www.ina.fr/divertissement/varietes/video/CAF88031129/johnny-hallyday.fr.html

Ayler
01-06-10, 06:46 AM
Maybe Nancy, we talked (in french sorry!) about it here :
http://hendrix.aceboard.fr/264448-2563-8073-0-Nancy-octobre-1966.htm

The whole film is 27 minutes long - never saw it. It could be downloaded on the INA website for 3€. Yazid Manou says that one of the set of the Experience was filmed in that october tour, but he doesn't know which one. He doesn't remember if it was Claude Fléouter (one of the directors) or one of his cameramen who told him that.

purple jim
01-06-10, 01:20 PM
On Ayler's above link, I posted an eye witness account of the Nancy gig that I received by mail today. I will do my best to translate it soon for Crosstown.
I can just say now that the guy confirms that there was a gig at Luxembourg. This was listed in an article in the authorative (and French) Juke Box Magazine. The full article is on Ayler's site in the Ezy Reader section.

Olvator
01-08-10, 08:37 AM
Hello my friends,

I just tried to move the whole (very interesting!) Halliday portion of this thread to another thread on its own, but somehow it doesn´t work....
anyway, I would like to get back to the initial topic of this thread. Which was considering the question of how to find new Jimi stuff, and what each and everyone of us can do in that regard. I told you that I set up a blog about Jimi in Germany, and I am happy to tell you that it has already carried fruits. New (better versions) pics from Stuttgart 69 have turned up. Some new from Hamburg 69 as well! And last but not least: a new recording from Hamburg 69 2nd show has been located! That is in fact a sensation, as this specific recording has the only (so far) known recorded live version (in front of an audience) of Driving South among the tracks performed. The tape is not in circulation yet, and it will probably take a few more months before anything like that happens, but hey, it does exist, it is real, I have heard it with my own ears, and I am very happy I tracked it down! This would NEVER have happened without the blog, as that is how the taper got in touch, and without the blog (as the taper said himself) the tape would most likely have been forgotten about, ultimately ending up in a dustbin after the taper would pass away and vanish into eternity.

I hope this will motivate some of you to start their own projects. So much can be achieved, and so much is still out there, you really never know. All you have to do is hunt them down.

You would be amazed what can be achied by googling certain concerts by Jimi. There will mostly always be an entry in some music forum (which will be on result page 38 or so :-)) with someone saying "I was there"....now all you have to do is register at whatever forum that might be and try to get in touch with them.

I hear that Johan is now about to start a blog about Jimi in Rotterdam. Rock on mate! That´s what I am talking about. I am sure there must be a tape of the Rotterdam 67 show, and I am hopeful that "it will find you".

Before you send me any PM´s about the Hamburg tape, I do not have it, I cannot make it available, and I will ignore any such request. Just a waste of time, really. It is all in the hands of the taper, and he has to make the decisions about it (and there are several options right now as it seems). Rest assured though, that the taper did get in touch with me, not to make sure that it won´t circulate, but indeed to make it available to all you out there. But things like these take time to do it right. Just think of it like this: You have something to really look forward to, and the time will come that can listen to it for yourselves.

purple jim
01-08-10, 09:51 AM
Nice work Olvator. I also encourage everyone to be bold and get searching before all eye witnesses pass away. I simply put up an appeal on the Hallyday forum and in came that interesting account.
Can't wait to hear that Hamburg show.:bananasmile:

Olvator
01-08-10, 10:21 AM
Nice work Olvator. I also encourage everyone to be bold and get searching before all eye witnesses pass away. I simply put up an appeal on the Hallyday forum and in came that interesting account.
Can't wait to hear that Hamburg show.:bananasmile:

what about audience tapes from Hallyday of those September dates? I mean, Halliday was huge in France, i am sure there must have been some people taping those shows, no? And if they did, maybe there are audience tapes or snippets of the Jimi sets as well....here is one hoping!

purple jim
01-08-10, 12:44 PM
I have suggested that somebody tries to contact Long Chris. He could have some interesting info or photos (or a tape! - just dreaming:))

Olvator
01-08-10, 02:27 PM
I have suggested that somebody tries to contact Long Chris. He could have some interesting info or photos (or a tape! - just dreaming:))

yeah, exactly. You really never know what people have kept in their attics for the last 40 years.

stplsd
01-08-10, 09:58 PM
a new recording from Hamburg 69 2nd show has been located! ....has the only (so far) known recorded live version (in front of an audience) of Driving South .

Fantastic work. Just hope it doesn't end up in someone else's cupboard (ie Janie Inc.;-)

JHE played this (DS is basically 'Thaw Out' by Albert "The Ice-man" Collins ["The master of the telecaster"] from 1965) earlier at Paris Olympia in Jan 68.

Olvator
01-09-10, 03:15 AM
Fantastic work. Just hope it doesn't end up in someone else's cupboard (ie Janie Inc.;-)

JHE played this (DS is basically 'Thaw Out' by Albert "The Ice-man" Collins from 1965) earlier at Paris Olympia in Jan 68.

you´re right!!!! I had completely wiped that one out of my memory!! thanks for pointing that out.

purple jim
01-09-10, 11:12 AM
I'm done!

Experiencereunited
01-24-10, 04:16 PM
Great work Olvator. So many great German shows from 69. Lets hope it sounds better than the Hamburg early show that circulates though as I think that is worst sounding of all the Jan 69 German shows that circulate.

I think there is a lot of interesting stuff from this tour and my favorite are the Vienna shows.

I remember reading a quote from Noel one time referring to the Jan Europe by saying "the sparkle was gone, gone, gone" I can certainly agree based on the early 1-9-69 Stockholm show but there is also a lot of great material from that tour including the 1-9-69 Late show.

ElectricWing
01-25-10, 09:57 AM
Another thing that anyone from the US can do is post a wanted ad in your local Craigslist asking for Hendrix concert photos, tapes, etc. I did it pretty regularly for a while but never got any bites. Think I'm going to start it up again.

Sharpstat
01-25-10, 10:09 PM
Since we are all Jimi fans and collectors what ever happened to Ken Voss? I know Janie went after him and the others. Thanks Janie for your greed, at least with the underground we were getting RARE recordings and videos then! Through Ken I found a few items back in the day! Quick story I was aquiring and selling Hendrix material and met a guy in 1975 that had a 8mm reel of Jimi at the Tonight show but could not gain access to a 8mm projector! My friends Mom said to bring the tape over and we'd watch it. The guy balked and never committed. Sad thing is how many more people like this are out there "hording" their collections. When I die I'm having my kids give it away to someone who will "cherish it hopefully"?

ilovejimi
01-26-10, 06:15 PM
Another thing that anyone from the US can do is post a wanted ad in your local Craigslist asking for Hendrix concert photos, tapes, etc. I did it pretty regularly for a while but never got any bites. Think I'm going to start it up again.

that is a very good idea-- and it doesnt cost anything. Nice work:wave:

stplsd
01-27-10, 08:17 PM
However, here in the good ol' USA the meaning is quite literal!

So everything is taken literally in the US?, what you say is what you get? No irony, innuendo, etc. how dull;-) (it's a big place, maybe it's just part of where you come from that you think you know?)
Then all these massive amounts of US Monty Python's fans were just pretending to 'Get the joke' - weird

Oh, where's my post gone, sensored (to avoid the sensor looking stupid?) - no sense of humour how sad:-(

MourningStar
01-27-10, 09:03 PM
However, here in the good ol' USA the meaning is quite literal!So everything is taken literally in the US?, ...not everything you little rascal (assuming again, as you typically do), just referring to the quote in question.

What? you bored or drunk again, replying to a 5-week old response? :p

Fenders Fingers
02-04-10, 05:03 PM
Worthwhile picking up on this one, at least the original sentiment from Olvator.
I'd say it's your DUTY to find out as much as you can about Jimi in your local area. I did some research via local newspapers many years ago. Maybe I should should do it again via the electronic sysytems available now.
Just a question, why do you all (well some of you :-))act like children ? I'd have thought the point was to promote Jimi and not an ego !!!!!

Fenders Fingers
07-09-11, 04:38 PM
yes, about time this came back up :-)

"Another really useful thing that I developed to do is to simply ask almost everyone I meet who is above 55-60 if they ever saw Jimi, or knew of anyone seeing him. Or if they ever recorded any concerts or knew someone back then who did. You will be amazed at what some people (which you would expect the least to do so) will tell you."

Yes Olve, I do all the time.
So since this thread was posted has anyone here done anything along these lines?

zombywoof57
07-10-11, 01:15 AM
Dear fellow CTT members and colleages....

It is just a few days before Christmas and the new decade is in sight. Before most of us will vanish from their computers to hang out with their families, or maybe boycott the whole bloody thing :-) I would like to adress some things that have been on my mind recently ( and while visiting our friend Johan aka johanincr, I found out that he keeps the same thoughts in his head)....

Let me tell you a true story, which just happened to me this week.

About 2 years ago, when I started doing more serious research about the Fehmarn Festival, and created my website, I was lucky to get in touch with a lot of people who were part of the scene here in Germany during the 60/70ties. One of them was german journalist Joerg Guelden. Joerg was a wonderful guy, and he promised to get back to me, when he would have finished his then recent project which was a book about Woodstock, and he also told me that he had retracked an old friend of his during his own research, who was german, but had been to Woodstock and IOW and many many festivals and concerts, and also had taped many shows. It did not really click with me back then, because we were engaged in other topics , and anyway Joerg did not want to tell me too much before the book was finished, which I understood.

Anyway, yesterday I bought the book. I found it by coincidence when I had to accompany my girlfriend for shopping. I thought to myself, oh great, he finished the book, I should call him again, maybe he has some time for me now.

On my way back in the metro, I read some of the book and found some really exciting passages of interviews with that "taper dude"(whose name has been changed for the book), and I freaked out completely, when he said that he had taped many many bands at Woodstock and among them also the entire Hendrix set. What a sensation! A guy from Germany, reportedly still living just 70 miles from me, on a farm growing weed and biological food (yes, that´s what the book says) who has hundreds of reels in his home among them the full uncut Woodstock set.....a dream come true. All I would have to do to find out who he is was to call Joerg Guelden, and get back in touch with him.

Well, so I did call, and what do I find out? Joerg Guelden died two months ago. FUCK!!!!

I am trying to find people that Joerg knew in the 70ties, cause maybe they could remember anything about that infamous guy. If that does not succeed, we have lost another valuable contact to someone who sits on a goldmine.

The time to act out, get active and do some research of your own is NOW!

We have another 10-15 years maybe, then most of the people who where back there back then will have died. This is no joke. After that, their children often just throw away anything there is, without knowing that it might be a genuine Jimi Hendrix recording, 8mm footage, or pictures. I think it is the duty of our generation of Hendrix nuts to try to save as much as possible. For the next 10 years, we still have the possibility to discover more stuff that surely must be out there.

It is amazing, by looking back, what load of material has come my way since I have been working on my website. All I did was put it up, and let things happen. Maybe a bit of announcing about its existence to friends and on a few forums, and within 3 months, I had 2 never before heard audience recordings, a new 8mm film, about 50 new pictures. It is so easy.

Why don´t some of you (the more advanced and fanatic members of CTT) set up blogs on the topic "JIMI in my Hometown" be it New York, LA, Chicago, Paris, etc, etc...setting up a blog is really easy nowadays. I am sure that we have many people here who would contribute all necessary material to pep those blogs up with photos and articles, they are actually already on the website. It takes one day of your life to do this, not more. Then tell a local newspaper, or anyone interested about the existence of that blog and sit back for a while. I am absolutely convinced that something good would turn out.

Another really useful thing that I developed to do is to simply ask almost everyone I meet who is above 55-60 if they ever saw Jimi, or knew of anyone seeing him. Or if they ever recorded any concerts or knew someone back then who did. You will be amazed at what some people (which you would expect the least to do so) will tell you.

With this in mind, I wish all of you a happy switch into 2010, let the good times roll.
:thayou219bl:

olvator
interesting, if he was a journalist maybe you could find out what newsparer he worked for/magazine, find people who worked with him the find leads to whom his best friends were, and just maybe he made tapes to his best friends, like we do in here, it might be possible to find family members, maybe a place exists where journalists are listed but he has to have family, maybe his kids/brother's sisters has these tapes. what part of germany did he work in? you know just ideas

zombywoof57
07-10-11, 01:21 AM
does the woodstock book have any info, about him in it/address to to the publisher might know of someone/ do you have the isbn # i'd like to try to buy it...just like i wonder what Bob terry's gonna do with all his stuff

Olvator
07-10-11, 04:58 AM
hey zomby, of course i have tried to contact (also succesful) friends, editors, etc of the author, but no one could tell me the real name....too bad. never give up though. And yes Morelmusic, your are dead right about the people who devote more time to jimi´s death than trying their luck in research while it is still possible. in ten years we will have time agin for all the other stuff (then again, eric b. might be dead then too, so it is a bit tricky...you see....I know that you are definitely one of the people really out there digging up new things so i salute you for that! respect!!!

Fenders Fingers
07-10-11, 07:28 AM
Yes. Have you so soon forgotten that I'm still at it?...constantly running local ads... reaching out, communicating, following leads and ALWAYS willing to get down and dirty in someone's basement attic or storage bin no matter where on earth it may be. It wouldn't be the 1st time either. Now, if we can only persuade certain death & murder topic devotees to switch their time, energy or brain power over to Olve's initial post then the possibilities of finding new material might be even greater?

No MM i have not. I know full well who does the work and who does bugger all.
Yes, good point about peoples enery and time being put to positve use but some folk even here have little or no interest in Jimi or his legacy.