PDA

View Full Version : What Material Might Be Floating Around In Limited Collector Circles?

Herman Cherusken
12-22-09, 02:03 PM
Besides the speculation about what material EH and others has in its vaults, I'm curious if anybody know what possible non-released material that floats around among hardcore private collectors?

And I am equally curious to know the rationale behind the thinking among the people who keep things to themselves, instead of having it seep out among bootleggers? I mean, most stuff I have found I did put up on the youtube channel I had, because what can be more fun and rewarding than to share and have other Jimi lovers out there enjoy material they have never heard before, since they're not into bootlegging. To keep the stuff just to myself would be just as dead energies as if saving piles of money for its own sake, instead of putting it to good use. If anyone can give an explanation of the psychological make-up of such people, I would be intrigued to hear it...

purple jim
12-22-09, 03:39 PM
Besides the speculation about what material EH and others has in its vaults, I'm curious if anybody know what possible non-released material that floats around among hardcore private collectors?

I only know of the Hansen Karlsson jam thingy. I was once on the phone with Steven Carr of Radioactive Records and he told me about his trip to Germany to meet the guy who has the tape (H&K's old manager if I'm not wrong). He was at the time negociating a deal to release the jam on Radioactive. He listened to the whole tape and told me that he found it very interesting and that he could feel that Jimi's playing was very humble and respectful rather than leading. The deal never materialised of course.
There are excerpts of the jam in circulation but is Jimi on there ?

stplsd
12-22-09, 03:39 PM

And I am equally curious to know the rationale behind the thinking among the people who keep things to themselves, instead of having it seep out among bootleggers? I mean, most stuff I have found I did put up on the youtube channel I had, because what can be more fun and rewarding than to share and have other Jimi lovers out there enjoy material they have never heard before, since they're not into bootlegging. To keep the stuff just to myself would be just as dead energies as saving piles of money for its own sake. If anyone can give an explanation of the psychological make-up of such people, I would be intrigued to hear it...

Anything could be out there. People hang onto rare stuff hoping they will find somone with other unreleased stuff, in the hope they will get them to trade, possibly?

There are several European/UK radio shows that the tapes are missing from, so someone may have taped some of them. There's a Saville show allegedly, a Dans in from 67, the Watchtower session, the Come on session, three short bits of songs from Copenhagen 69.

Herman Cherusken
12-22-09, 03:54 PM
I only know of the Hansen Karlsson jam thingy.

I meant material people hang on to not because they face legal difficulties if they would give it an official release, as in the case of the Hansson-Karlsson jam. I have spoken to both the drummer (Karlsson) and the manager (can't remeber his name right now), and as things look right now there's no intention to release anything on their part for fear of being dragged to court.

But besides material not being released due to legal obstacles, what material might private collectors sit on? Anyone heard any substantial grapevine rumors floating around, if "substantial" can be used in the context, lmao...

Like myself, I heard talk about the second Stockholm Jan 9, 1969 show also having being filmed just as the first, not being in general circulation but existing among private collectors.

longjam
12-22-09, 04:36 PM
HO! you touched the very MAIN QUESTION , and main important feeling,that every Hendrix collettors had...( one time or another) in his life.
I started collection tapes in .....early 1983, i growed up with i-give-you-4blanks-you give me 2 recorded, (From Dave B., England) after i year i was OK to trade by myself, at that time NO LISTING of jimi recordings was available, i did mine, and so others guys...it was a really funny game...but at a certain point..
I was asked for big money sometimes, like 2000 pounds for the RAH VHS...i just waited and got it anyway.
But now things are changed, money are involved, and i tell you, it cost a fortune sometimes to dug tapes, ( good people knows that) . and now, with this internet thing, stuff so rare and unheard from 30 year can be around the globe in a couple of hours!! pretty amanzing!!
and i think we are at the end of find new unedited tapes ( from private collection, people dies and tapes get screwed up, and we all know family vault is full of stuff!!)..
So this is the reason (?) i really dont know,....i know , this can be sad
but maybe it's only because...we are scrapping the botton!

ho well.. and the ill-fated BW 1970 video-s.....???

Olvator
12-22-09, 04:38 PM
Well, I think stplsd gave a pretty good explanation of the whole thing. Another motivation might be money. Woburn was such an uncirculated item for example. And honestly, if Caesar had ever made copies of this and it would have leaked, he would never have been able to sell it for that amount. I am not saying that to sell it was his motivation from the start, in fact he wanted to release it but EH turned him down.

I know two more people who have 8mm from Fehmarn, but both are very hesitating to share any of it. One apparently thinks that 3 min. film would be worth enough to make his latter life sweet with lots of money (which of course it won´t) and another one is a policeman nowadays and is scared like shit that something legal might happen to him because he illegally taped a show 40 years ago LOL.

I think in about 20 years, when most of the original holders of any items will have died, lots of things might still surface, and we will eventually get to hear / see them. If their children don´t dump that stuff in the dust bin that is.

Olvator
12-22-09, 04:40 PM
hey marco!!!! buena sera!

btw...I think that 1969 Jan 9th 2nd show video rumour is just that: a rumour. I cannot imagine Swedish TV having filmed the second show and there being nothing on file or reported which would still be unknow today. They only filmed the first, that´s it. Nice idea though!

Herman Cherusken
12-22-09, 05:59 PM
...I think that 1969 Jan 9th 2nd show video rumour is just that: a rumour. I cannot imagine Swedish TV having filmed the second show and there being nothing on file or reported which would still be unknow today. They only filmed the first, that´s it. Nice idea though!

Yeah at a first glance it would sound unlikely that if they filmed also the second show it wouldnt have surfaced by now - or at least have been known to have been filmed. But it should be remembered that even national TV can screw up and also have material disapear in huge archives. It was not too long ago some Jimi material thought to have been long lost - if it was known to have existed at all - was found in the Swedish TV/Radio archives, so no one really knows for sure as there's no exact index over what is stored or having been filmed. Not saying a filmed second show just is a rumor, but I hold all eventualities open until a definitive say can be established. Also, I kinda like the idea that it actually was filmed, as there's some really kick ass versions performed there...

Herman Cherusken
12-22-09, 06:11 PM
I know two more people who have 8mm from Fehmarn, but both are very hesitating to share any of it. One apparently thinks that 3 min. film would be worth enough to make his latter life sweet with lots of money (which of course it won´t) and another one is a policeman nowadays and is scared like shit that something legal might happen to him because he illegally taped a show 40 years ago LOL.

LMAO at both...

Olvator
12-22-09, 06:21 PM
Yeah at a first glance it would sound unlikely that if they filmed also the second show it wouldnt have surfaced by now - or at least have been known to have been filmed. But it should be remembered that even national TV can screw up and also have material disapear in huge archives. It was not too long ago some Jimi material thought to have been long lost - if it was known to have existed at all - was found in the Swedish TV/Radio archives, so no one really knows for sure as there's no exact index over what is stored or having been filmed. Not saying a filmed second show just is a rumor, but I hold all eventualities open until a definitive say can be established. Also, I kinda like the idea that it actually was filmed, as there's some really kick ass versions performed there...

but it was not in the way that they found those tapes and said: oh, we found some Jimi Hendrix stuff here we totally forgot! No, they knew they had taped it, but the masters were lost, and what they found was a safety copy I think. SO they now have again in reasonale quality. We had that show long before. And that was a damn good copy as well already....
I think they did not film the second. Sad, but true...

purple jim
12-23-09, 01:58 AM
Yes, it has always been reported that the crew packed up and left BEFORE the second show.

longjam
12-23-09, 12:17 PM
BTW talking about "unreleased" tapes...take this!

1969 Forum L.A Soundcheck 8 track tape ( listed on a Alan Douglas list of tapes)
1968 May (?) Winterland Soundcheck ( sampler-s floating around)
1967 August Saville complete tape
1970 the b/w videotapes mentioned on internet some years ago ( fake?)
1968 Roma Italy audience tape on possession by Hendrix family
1967.11. 9 Stockholm second show ( it was recorded? or the reel is badly damaged)
1967 Soundcheck at Monterey ( fake?)
1968 Zurich different show audience tape starting with "tax free"

More suggestion?

I remember a really funny story, a reel to reel recorder purchased in fair, from a english painter, not a Jimi fan,OK this recorder had a reel inside, and what's is inside? You guess??a 1966 JHE live recording, ....an italian livin' in England named Marco ( i'm talkin about late 1990) actually meet the guy, but he refused to seel or made copy of the reel.......and now?

But as some serious Hendrix collettor said .( he's actualy living in my country now).."until i touch it, i never believe it. i dont want to hear storyes... i want facts!"..............and i agree with him!:-)

come'on folks, let's talk abot more tape-trivia, open your mind!

Ciao e Buon natale a Tutti! (TRANS.. happy Xmas to all!!)

Longjam

backfromthestorm
12-23-09, 12:44 PM
Yes, it has always been reported that the crew packed up and left BEFORE the second show.

Theres a Swedish member on here (was in one of the image forums)who was at that show, he was 13 at the time and said something about having to leave early as he had a train to catch and missed the end of the gig.

He`s the man to ask anyway. He was there, think he would of spotted cameras there if there were any. No cameras appear in any of his photos he posted. Safe to say it wasnt filmed I think...

ap0llo
12-23-09, 06:24 PM
Feb. 18th RAH show sb/multitrack, anyone?
That and a lot of the stuff from that Dutch radio broadcast that was posted here a while ago (complete Tears of Rage, complete McLaughlin jam?). I guess EH has the Feb. 18th RAH show, but it sounds like someone else does too...

Jimi_Uchihaeyez
12-23-09, 08:38 PM
The Mainstream kids in US are not interested in bootleg, horrible sounding (to them ;)) Jimi Hendrix recordings. To them, It's a piece of garbage and they couldn't care less that they're throwing it away. Even if it's Treasure to us, it means nothing to them and I wouldn't doubt for a moment that they'd just throw it in the dumpster and walk away from it. Luckily, there are a few people of the Teenage age (including myself) that would see that throwing all that away is complete idiocy. But let's face it, that scenario will happen atleast once. My only hope is that someone stops that kid and says, "Wait don't do that!"

Stuff's out there, just gotta wait. (We're accustomed to that though aren't we ;))

snybbe
12-24-09, 01:41 AM
Hi folks! Sorry but there were no camera men on the second show Stockholm 69, but what I have had is 3 min silent 8 mm from Sandviken 5 jan 1968 , shot by my brother.
I got a box from my sister who have kept all our 8 mm films from the sixties, but the Jimi reel was gone. I remember it was quite dark and since there are no audio captured from the show a resync would not have been possible.

Makkinen
12-24-09, 12:31 PM
Probably the most interesting tape that exists, but isn't in any kind of circulation, is Jimi playing with Little Richard's band in 1965 somewhere in the New England area (can't remember the exact town or venue but it's described in detail in Steven Roby's book). The guy, a DJ, who owns and recorded the tape allegedly promised Richard not to circulate the tape without his permission. Three years ago, a friend of mine made several attempts to persuade him to at least digitaze the tape or send us a sample but without results. I also made an attempt to reach Richard personally but without success.
Regarding the other circulating material it's lot's of ELectric Ladyiand outtakes (including previously mentioned parts of AATW and CO sessions), more Crash Landing and Midnight Lightning Douglas' outtakes, also previously mentioned complete H&K 4-hout jam (but I doubt Jimi plays on it at all and THAT'S the main reason why they aren't circulating it, NOT legal issues), RAH 18th February soundboard tape (only HMT leaked out), Saville August '67 complete tape (we have only samples of the songs), MSG '69 3rd audience source (we have it only as a part of the merge done by anonymous collector), Maui Hawaii complete audience recording (only Hey Baby leaked out) etc...

Olvator
12-24-09, 01:52 PM
To take this whole thing a step further, I think it would be even more interesting to focus not on what some people might have, but on what still needs to be relocated and is supposedly still existing. Here is an old list of "Missing Hendrix" compiled by Kees de Lange and Tony Brown in the Nineties.
As you will see, many entries are outdated nowadays, cause some of that stuff has already surfaced and is circulating, or has in the meantime been confirmed to have been just rumours and is not existing. But still there is an awesome lot in there to be researched.

Let me add to that list the following items that I know do exist, but never could get my hands on:

a 4th audience source from Fehmarn 70

at least three more silent 8mm sources from Fehmarn 70

scoutship
12-24-09, 02:52 PM
...Maui Hawaii complete audience recording (only Hey Baby leaked out) etc..Yeah, "etc."

And yeah kids today don't care unless they know it's worth good money, I know personally of twice when collectible JH tapes were recorded over without a thought by younger sibs.

Re the "etc," here's what one private collector said: "What, there are how many people who really, I mean really care about this stuff, ten? Maybe twenty?" With a comment added about those who can't, or won't, keep their ****ed mouth shut about it--from personal past experience on this person's part--or have a secret agenda. Don't forget even Al got ripped off by "fans" he graced by inviting them into his own home. More than once.

I am familiar with anonymous private collectors of many things besides Hendrix photos and recordings, a comic book collector for instance who simply wants to enjoy what he has, and has spent a LOT of hard earned cash in acquiring, anonymously, so that he can enjoy it without being bugged by the fanatics or any legal people who for some reason feel it should "belong" to all.

Some here know, others would be shocked to know what exists, in some cases undocumented by any of the documenters.

Just a few different viewpoints, not necessarily my own or anyone else I know.

New discoveries continue to be made, many with items simply don't know what they have until they sort through old boxes stored for decades in an attic or the top of a garage, and as noted above, sometimes these are items that had been in the possession of a relative who passed. Hendrix to a lot, in fact the larger majority by far, of people of that "era" was just another concert, not particularly of any more import than the Doors or Stones or Beatles or Joplin or even the Dead...Etc.

Roland Stone
12-24-09, 07:51 PM
I still don't know whether to believe this or not, but Vince Flaherty claims he's hoarding it because he's afraid of Janie. Do you guys call BS or not? He did post a whole lot of previously unknown Love related material. ----THE CERTIFICATE(V. Flaherty) Recorded at Conway Recorders, Van Nuys, CA (1968) Vince Flaherty: vocals, harmonica - Jimi Hendrix: guitar - Ken Forssi: bass - Bobbie Clarke: drums - Wes Avedon: electric violin - The Elves Themselves: percussion, guitar, sax -- LEGALIZE(V. Flaherty) - Recorded at Conway Recorders, Van Nuys, CA (1968) - Vince Flaherty: vocals, Hammond organ - Jimi Hendrix: guitar - Ken Forssi: bass - Bobbie Clarke: drums - Wes Avedon: electric violin - The Elves Themselves: percussion, guitar, sax -

stplsd
12-27-09, 07:27 AM
Probably the most interesting tape that exists, but isn't in any kind of circulation, is Jimi playing with Little Richard's band in 1965 somewhere in the New England area (can't remember the exact town or venue but it's described in detail in Steven Roby's book). The guy, a DJ, ....

I'm sure there's stuff up here, in JP & UV that say this tape is bogus.

complete H&K 4-hout jam (but I doubt Jimi plays on it at all and THAT'S the main reason why they aren't circulating it, NOT legal issues), ....

Much of it is in circulation and JP & others think it's genuine Hendrix on it although tedious.

Saville August '67 complete tape (we have only samples of the songs)....

What's the evidence that the tape has anymore on it?

johanincr
12-27-09, 08:01 AM
(about LR tape)

I'm sure there's stuff up here, in JP & UV that say this tape is bogus.

That may be, but that doesnt make the tape bogus.
All we have to go on, is word of mouth, whichever way we look at it.

People claiming the tape is bogus based on???
Based on hearing the tape - that didnt happen.
Based on Jimi's when- and where-abouts. This could be, but then whatever date the owner thinks it was recorded could be off too.

I emailed with the owner of said tape some years ago, and personally, i think he has what he claims, and that it really is his promise to (a nowadays very paranoid) little richard to not make copies of it without his approval.

(about Saville tape)

What's the evidence that the tape has anymore on it?

Again, word of mouth. The guys that originally got the tape we have.
No real reason to doubt their account of what happened.

thunderbaas
12-27-09, 11:32 AM
Thanks Olvator for the link to Hendrix in Germany,nice intervieuws,you must only be able to read german(no problem for me as dutchy)
About unseen/unheard footage,as dutchman I'd love to see the televisionfootage from the dutch vpro show "Hoepla",but rumours vary from the Ampeg tape being erased to being stolen by an unknown vpro employee(in which case they might still apear some day) Luckilly we have the audio from this performance,on which the phrase "Loopt de Ampeg band nog" (which means : Is the Ampeg tape still running) is quite hilarious.But the greatest gem would be the recordings from his concert later that day in the Ahoy Hall in Rotterdam.But I tend to believe it's the same here as with the filmfootage of the second 9-1-'69 show in sweden,if it would excist,it would have surfaced in the 42 years since then.Annyhow to me the complete Hendrix/Burdon/War jam & the Love/Blue Thumb acetate were some great discoverys in 2009,let's hope there will be some like these as well in 2010.
Well to all you CTTers have a great Christmas (don't eat too much)
And I raise my glass to a great Hendrix 2010!!!

Cheers
Thunderbaas.

MourningStar
12-27-09, 01:21 PM
(about LR tape)

People claiming the tape is bogus based on???
Based on hearing the tape - that didnt happen.
Based on Jimi's when- and where-abouts. This could be, but then whatever date the owner thinks it was recorded could be off too.

I emailed with the owner of said tape some years ago, and personally, i think he has what he claims, and that it really is his promise to (a nowadays very paranoid) little richard to not make copies of it without his approval.

(about Saville tape)

No real reason to doubt their account of what happened.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/XiKano/VIDEO/applause.gif

Roland Stone
12-27-09, 09:45 PM
You guys have no comment on the Vince Flaherty claims? Flaherty is living and somewhat accessible. Maybe we should pool our $$$ again and dangle that in front of him for some hard evidence? What intrigues me is that the details of his other sessions do seem to pan out. His vintage sessions with Love sans Arthur Lee were unknown until he published them online, but they are genuine.

I used to know some of the musicians he lists on his other sessions -- but not the ones on the alleged Hendrix sessions. I couldn't find hide nor hair of violinist "Wes Avedon" on the internet. The drummer "Bobbie Clarke" does have a Wiki which seems to be entirely self-promotion, much like Flaherty's Wiki.

dino77
12-28-09, 04:45 AM
You guys have no comment on the Vince Flaherty claims? Flaherty is living and somewhat accessible. Maybe we should pool our $$$ again and dangle that in front of him for some hard evidence? What intrigues me is that the details of his other sessions do seem to pan out. His vintage sessions with Love sans Arthur Lee were unknown until he published them online, but they are genuine.

I used to know some of the musicians he lists on his other sessions -- but not the ones on the alleged Hendrix sessions. I couldn't find hide nor hair of violinist "Wes Avedon" on the internet. The drummer "Bobbie Clarke" does have a Wiki which seems to be entirely self-promotion, much like Flaherty's Wiki.

I'm also confounded by the lack of discussion on this subject. The Love connection does appear to be real, Johhny Echols also plays on his new recordings. But - why wait 40 years with this info when everbody else has sold/bragged about rare Hendrix tapes since 1971, and why did the self-promoting Wiki entry appear at the same time as his statement?

stplsd
12-28-09, 05:26 AM
(about LR tape)

I emailed with the owner of said tape some years ago, and personally, i think he has what he claims, and that it really is his promise to (a nowadays very paranoid) little richard to not make copies of it without his approval. .

Thanks for your very interesting reply
earlyhendrix has some info on it http://www.earlyhendrix.com/little-richard-the-live-tape.html

(about Saville tape)

No real reason to doubt their account of what happened

Sounds like another H&K scenario, I'm afraid. Would be geat to hear it complete though.

karsten
12-30-09, 10:03 AM
I think copies of Noel's 8 mm films must excist to a greater extend than what was used for e.g. the Southbank show.

Copies of the tapes Exp Hendrix has accuired the pasts years would also be a possibility..

ilovejimi
01-05-10, 09:15 PM
Im still hoping we will one day hear the entire Aug 37 1967 Concert Saville Theatre London. We currently have a sample of each of the songs performed but whom has the entire tape (if anybody) and when might the decide to share it with the rest of us.

Excerpt taken from Just Ask the Axis:

1. Summertime Blues
2. Fire
3. The Wind Cries Mary
4. Foxy Lady
5. Catfish Blues
6. I Don't Live Today
7. Red House
8. Hey Joe
9. Purple Haze
The available tape is one of the best quality audience tapes in the archives, IMO. The instrumental sound and mix is near soundboard quality though the vocals suffer from a typically inadequate PA system. The bad news is that the long-circulating tape has every song cut severely! Story goes that some German "collector" has the complete original and has only let out this chopped-up sample, apparently prefering to enjoy the original in some darkened room like an art thief alone with his stolen Picasso...not illegal, but a shame

Voodoo Kush
01-05-10, 09:34 PM
How about the Record Plant Studio Session 05-15-1970? (Peter Gunn, Freedom, Lover Man, Catastrophe, Hey Baby) We have everything but Hey Baby which is said to be an exceptional performance... So who's the clown that left that one out?! what a tease! so far we have Gypsy boy and the Traffic Jam, but no other real outtakes. how about it..

ilovejimi
01-05-10, 09:54 PM
<TABLE cellPadding=2 width="98%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>anybody know if this concert exist, 10 February 1968 The Experience Shrine Auditorium ?</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>1. Are You Experienced
2. The Wind Cries Mary
3. Up From The Skies (i would really like to hear this one)
4. Red House
5. Wild Thing
6. Purple Haze
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

ilovejimi
01-05-10, 09:57 PM
<TABLE cellPadding=2 width="98%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Sunday, 3 March 1968 The Experience Vets Memorial Auditorium </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>? Purple Haze
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>At least one audience tape exists for this show, but is not in circulation. The owner allegedly offered the tape to Experience Hendrix, sending a snippet of "Purple Haze" as proof.

ilovejimi
01-05-10, 10:01 PM
<TABLE cellPadding=2 width="98%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Additional information for Saturday, 18 May 1968 The Experience Miami Pop Festival (Underground Pop Festival), Gulf Stream Race Track, Hallandale
Review (http://www.digitalhighway.co.uk/axis/reviews/1059.asp)
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>Update Experience Hendrix LLC has apparently acquired good quality video and 4 track audio from this show. (this info is from 2003)

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>1. Foxy Lady
2. Fire
3. Hear My Train A Comin'
4. Purple Haze

Herman Cherusken
01-05-10, 10:33 PM
How about the Record Plant Studio Session 05-15-1970? (Peter Gunn, Freedom, Lover Man, Catastrophe, Hey Baby) We have everything but Hey Baby which is said to be an exceptional performance... So who's the clown that left that one out?! what a tease! so far we have Gypsy boy and the Traffic Jam, but no other real outtakes. how about it..

Using Jimi Hendrix - The Studio Log (2007 ed) as reference, you also have an unreleased Hey Baby (New Rising Sun) from the day before, 14 May 1970. Sifting through its pages reveals a tremendous amount of unreleased studio material, if still in existance. Just as an example, unreleased versions of Valleys Of Neptune from 15 and 16 June 1970. I could go on listing a good while, mentioning a whole bunch of unreleased Red House's, 20 takes of Bold As Love, Hear My Train A-Comin', Lover Man, Midnight Lightning, Valleys Of Neptune (both instrumental and with vocal), Villanova Junction, Long Hot Summer Night, 1983, A Merman I should, 24 takes of All Along the Watchtower (21 Jan 1968 Olympic), plus a large amount of various untitled jams, etc etc. If just a fraction of this would find its way out in the open, it sure would be recieved with open arms....

ilovejimi
01-06-10, 06:58 PM
<TABLE cellPadding=2 width="98%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Monday, 4 May 1970 Hendrix/ Cox/ Mitchell 'Holding Together', Village Gate </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>Film footage with sound allegedly exists for this Timothy Leary Benefit. Locked away in a vault somewhere?
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>Getting My Heart Back Together Again
Freedom
Red House
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>20 minute black and white video recording. Uncirculated.
Video quality: very good/excellent but slightly dark.
Audio quality: very good/excellent but vocals weak

Olvator
01-06-10, 07:13 PM
<TABLE cellPadding=2 width="98%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Sunday, 3 March 1968 The Experience Vets Memorial Auditorium </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>? Purple Haze
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>At least one audience tape exists for this show, but is not in circulation. The owner allegedly offered the tape to Experience Hendrix, sending a snippet of "Purple Haze" as proof.

I don´t know which specific source this might be pointing too, but there is material from Vets Memorial circulating (Tax Free & Fire) but the tapes suffers badly from speed problems and is almost unlistenable.

it´s here as well:

http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?t=1830&highlight=vets

ilovejimi
01-06-10, 09:50 PM
<TABLE cellPadding=2 width="98%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Additional information for Thursday, 30 May 1968 The Experience 'Monsterkonzert', Hallenstadion </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>An audio recording often thought to be from this show is, in fact, from the following night's show on 31st May 1968.
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>No recorded set list details on file. </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>Two audio recordings from the first night (30th May 1968) allegedly exist, stored in a collector's archive. They are not in circulation.

longjam
01-08-10, 05:09 AM
[QUOTE=ilovejimi;26103]<table width="98%" border="0" cellpadding="2"><tbody><tr><td valign="top">Additional information for Thursday, 30 May 1968 The Experience 'Monsterkonzert', Hallenstadion </td></tr><tr><td valign="top">An audio recording often thought to be from this show is, in fact, from the following night's show on 31st May 1968.
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">No recorded set list details on file.

</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">tax free
fire
hey joe
foxy lady
red house
purple haze

audience..reasonable quality g+

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Fenders Fingers
02-12-10, 12:01 PM

And I am equally curious to know the rationale behind the thinking among the people who keep things to themselves, instead of having it seep out among bootleggers? I mean, most stuff I have found I did put up on the youtube channel I had, because what can be more fun and rewarding than to share and have other Jimi lovers out there enjoy material they have never heard before, since they're not into bootlegging. To keep the stuff just to myself would be just as dead energies as if saving piles of money for its own sake, instead of putting it to good use. If anyone can give an explanation of the psychological make-up of such people, I would be intrigued to hear it...

As good and emotive question as I have found, nice one Herman. Just want to know why any collector would want to see any of his / her collection in the hands of bootleggers! I do get the point of the question here. Also like to say that this is the best way to raise this question and not in a forward of a book Mr Rodham !
As a collector I have “suffered” like the rest of you in knowing that certain material is known to exist but frustrated at my inability to obtain said material. Well that was so last century was it not? Back in the tape days certain collectors just shut up shop and would not circulate or trade. Some of it was down to individual (poor) attitudes and others I think thought that as it had taken them so long to obtain a show (some times years of searching) and at some considerable cost then they would not make the recording available to you for nothing less than your granny and a bit more if they could screw you enough !
Fast forward to 2009/10 and we have a great community now linked by electronic means (not the be all and end all of collecting in my opinion). This has brought the problem of some collectors being able to get near instant results in building a great collection and why not. Not least that this puts some older collectors’ noses out of joint but it has made for some newer collectors to be unable to show a degree of patience.
Collectors, or at least some of them, do feel that a hierarchy exists and that maybe their place is threatened by this seemingly easy access to material. But that's not a reason for attitudes of 10 years ago.
In defence I will ask this. Does anyone here expect any given collector to circulate something that they have either traded for or been sent gratis, to the masses when they have been asked to hold onto the recording? What standing would this leave the lucky recipient in the collector’s community? It’s not for them to make this call though some do either after a lengthy period of ownership or from good judgment and / or depending on circumstance.
Some of the material listed in the posts are not in the hands of collectors and what is will make it into circulation soon enough though the Dans In recording remains a thorn in the side to many collectors and is a clear reminder to many of us “old farts” of the anal attitude of some collectors. I can say from experience and a knowledgeable background that no reasonable excuse is available for the non-circulation of this show. It has had a limited circulation but exactly who has it you would have to ask for some honesty from those amongst you reading this. Maybe you want to excuse your reasoning for not sharing while you’re at it ? Again some of you have it and have been asked to “hold it at all cost” so I can’t complain can I? Some of you haven’t !
Yes Herman, it is a much cooler and better thing to give than receive but sometimes that can only happen in time. Sadly some of us may not get to hear some material that’s been around for years due to nothing more than mean spiritness.
Anyway I’m off to listen to the Dans In show ……………………... !!!!!!!!!!!!! or am I? Who knows, who cares:wave:

scoutship
02-12-10, 01:58 PM
I think copies of Noel's 8 mm films must excist to a greater extend than what was used for e.g. the Southbank show.

Definitely. And some others besides.

jeffhmason
02-12-10, 03:31 PM
<table border="0" cellpadding="2" width="98%"><tbody><tr><td valign="top">Additional information for Thursday, 30 May 1968 The Experience 'Monsterkonzert', Hallenstadion </td></tr><tr><td valign="top">An audio recording often thought to be from this show is, in fact, from the following night's show on 31st May 1968.
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">No recorded set list details on file. </td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Two audio recordings from the first night (30th May 1968) allegedly exist, stored in a collector's archive. They are not in circulation.

One tape is in circulation now (of course).

jeffhmason
02-12-10, 03:33 PM
<table border="0" cellpadding="2" width="98%"><tbody><tr><td valign="top">Additional information for Saturday, 18 May 1968 The Experience Miami Pop Festival (Underground Pop Festival), Gulf Stream Race Track, Hallandale
Review (http://www.digitalhighway.co.uk/axis/reviews/1059.asp)
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Update Experience Hendrix LLC has apparently acquired good quality video and 4 track audio from this show. (this info is from 2003)

</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">1. Foxy Lady
2. Fire
3. Hear My Train A Comin'
4. Purple Haze

According to "Ultimate Hendrix" this is actually five songs (with the opener being "Tax Free"). I'm guessing EH has these tapes now as they list full tracks for both sets in the UH book.

stplsd
02-12-10, 04:21 PM
I think copies of Noel's 8 mm films must exist to a greater extend than what was used for e.g. the Southbank show.

Copies of the tapes Exp Hendrix has accuired the pasts years would also be a possibility..

That brings up the question of what has happened to the films of Mitch & Jimi? All three bought video cams at the same time and there are several photos showing Jimi & Mitch with theirs.

Fenders Fingers
02-13-10, 05:23 AM
I've seen bits of Noels 8mm but how much does exist I don't know. lsdstp, great point ut didn't Jimi "loose" his camara at some point? Probably stolen if we are to be honest ! So I can't really see this coming out for quite a long time yet....... if ever. No ida about Mitch's footage.

Olvator
02-13-10, 05:57 AM
(about LR tape)
(about the Little Richard live tape)

What I don´t quite understand is that if it was publicly broadcast on local radio, what specific rights does Little Richard have to hold this back? I don´t know what the deals were like back then , but in Europe you would have to negotiate with the radio stations, as they should hold the rights to the recording. Hopefully someone else taped the show too, maybe one day we will se it. After all, it is just good to know that there is such a tape!!

Herman Cherusken
02-15-10, 04:13 AM
As good and emotive question as I have found, nice one Herman. Just want to know why any collector would want to see any of his / her collection in the hands of bootleggers! I do get the point of the question here. Also like to say that this is the best way to raise this question and not in a forward of a book Mr Rodham !
As a collector I have “suffered” like the rest of you in knowing that certain material is known to exist but frustrated at my inability to obtain said material. Well that was so last century was it not? Back in the tape days certain collectors just shut up shop and would not circulate or trade. Some of it was down to individual (poor) attitudes and others I think thought that as it had taken them so long to obtain a show (some times years of searching) and at some considerable cost then they would not make the recording available to you for nothing less than your granny and a bit more if they could screw you enough !
Fast forward to 2009/10 and we have a great community now linked by electronic means (not the be all and end all of collecting in my opinion). This has brought the problem of some collectors being able to get near instant results in building a great collection and why not. Not least that this puts some older collectors’ noses out of joint but it has made for some newer collectors to be unable to show a degree of patience.
Collectors, or at least some of them, do feel that a hierarchy exists and that maybe their place is threatened by this seemingly easy access to material. But that's not a reason for attitudes of 10 years ago.
In defence I will ask this. Does anyone here expect any given collector to circulate something that they have either traded for or been sent gratis, to the masses when they have been asked to hold onto the recording? What standing would this leave the lucky recipient in the collector’s community? It’s not for them to make this call though some do either after a lengthy period of ownership or from good judgment and / or depending on circumstance.
Some of the material listed in the posts are not in the hands of collectors and what is will make it into circulation soon enough though the Dans In recording remains a thorn in the side to many collectors and is a clear reminder to many of us “old farts” of the anal attitude of some collectors. I can say from experience and a knowledgeable background that no reasonable excuse is available for the non-circulation of this show. It has had a limited circulation but exactly who has it you would have to ask for some honesty from those amongst you reading this. Maybe you want to excuse your reasoning for not sharing while you’re at it ? Again some of you have it and have been asked to “hold it at all cost” so I can’t complain can I? Some of you haven’t !
Yes Herman, it is a much cooler and better thing to give than receive but sometimes that can only happen in time. Sadly some of us may not get to hear some material that’s been around for years due to nothing more than mean spiritness.
Anyway I’m off to listen to the Dans In show ……………………... !!!!!!!!!!!!! or am I? Who knows, who cares:wave:

Thanks for a detailed and thorough reply.

Yeah, my post was written in the spur of the moment, and at that being emotive, as you put it. As you can tell, it wasn't much thought put in to it, more of an immediate reflection over people greedily holding on to things rather than sharing. I didnt necessarily have big things in mind (material equalent to RAH or Miami Pop and such), more like stuff that might not generate big money and therefore not having the chance of being officially released (like various kinds of unreleased studio material, perhaps not in the best audio quality, or audience tapes from whatever venue).

Personally, I have not been into botlegging until I stumbled across this place, and from then onward found a lot of other places that shares both officially and unofficially (bootlegs) released material. But I have been collecting officially released Jimi material since the 70's, with the exception of any of the material released by the EH estate. Janie probably has her pros, but she pop's all my fuses and in defiance I refuse to benefit her in any shape or form, I get it from elsewhere.

But, if I would have been into bootlegging and trading from early on, I don't care if it would have taken me a long time to get an item or that it cost me money. In the pre electronic day and age I would have used it as a trading commodity in getting other hard to get material, but now with internet and shit and sharing opportunities like never before, I would have uploaded anything I had with the hope other people would do too, so to have a chance to improve whatever material that floats around out there by merging various audio tapes and what not - all in the name of the beautiful individual Jimi Hendrix and his awesome music, that gives joy to so many people.

If I alone had come across a big piece, like a copy of (lets say) an unknown filmed sequence - or the whole set - of the second show at Stockholm in Jan '69, would I be an ass trying to squeese out as money from it as I possibly could, or be tight assed enough to sit on it on my own? Nah, if you knew me as a person, you would know that it's not how I function. Money is not everything in the world, and rather to have to deal with the bullshit Janie et co, I would upload it for free on the internet, just for the heck of it. But that's me...

All the hierarchy's and big ego's you mention exist among collectors et al can blow their asses, as that was not what Jimi was about, as he was trying to promote new ways of thinking and oposing big egos and greedy mentality people. There would naturally be a problem if I had gotten something that I was told to hold on to, but after I had gotten what I wanted I would probably say 'screw them' and be regarded as an unreliable traitor by leaking it out among people. But then again, that's me...

Herman Cherusken
02-15-10, 07:55 AM
Some of the material listed in the posts are not in the hands of collectors and what is will make it into circulation soon enough though the Dans In recording remains a thorn in the side to many collectors and is a clear reminder to many of us “old farts” of the anal attitude of some collectors.

Would you care to elaborate on that, as I am a novice to all this...

scoutship
02-15-10, 01:03 PM
I've also heard guys make a distinction between serious collectors and mere "accumulators," whom the more serious private collectors look down on somewhat, lol. Also collectors are not necessarily traders, in terms of mentality.

It isn't just music some of the "serious collectors" have & look for, sometimes it's documents or personal video that might be of a "controversial" nature or whatever, one example might be a couple of the military documents that are still quite tightly held for reasons I would think should be clear (note that someone like Roby, who apparently has dozens, has never published all of them, either; nor afaik has he had access to all of them).

Also what Kathy E said, critically, about some of the fanzine editors could, in my experience, apply to some of the collectors as well but for different reasons depending on the person, the part about how some of them seem to want to censor and control what info gets out (legal considerations aside, esp with whatever Sony might have in mind coming up).

And some private collectors don't focus on just Hendrix material but look for rock related memorabilia of a more general nature, including Jimi's, so don't see what all the fuss is about to keep it in their own "family," as with certain comic book art or old precious letters or manuscripts.

My older brother has pics & such of Jimi from the Sicks Stadium show, partly by way of helping out backstage. He isn't interested in sharing them round or their monetary worth or any of that, they're simply precious mementoes to him and screw what any of the "fans" want or think, in fact he's more suspicious of most of the "fans" (from fanatics) and their motives than of others of a more 'seriously casual' interest in general (say, visitors to the EMP exhibits).

Just saying, for whatever it may add to an understanding.

manfree
02-15-10, 02:05 PM
And then you Die, an it all gets thrown away

backfromthestorm
02-15-10, 02:27 PM
Said `Serious Collectors` of Jimi, please cut & paste into your last will and testiment the following -

`In the event of my passing, i wish to have all my dusty old tapes converted to flac and uploaded to CTT..`

go on now.. it`ll do you no harm...

scoutship
02-15-10, 02:30 PM
And if Hendrix hadn't, so soon....Eh, as with a number of others. & anyway, out of sight, out of mind.

Experiencereunited
02-15-10, 03:00 PM
Does any of 5-10-1968 Early Show exist? I have seen some people claim to have Wild Thing from the early show.

Fenders Fingers
02-15-10, 03:01 PM
Would you care to elaborate on that, as I am a novice to all this...

Only to say that, if a collector of Jmi Hendrix audio has something it will at some stage be made available to all. Dans In it seems is the exception to this rule :-) What bugs me about this audio is that I have never had any explanation as to why it's not been circulated generally.
I like the thoughts and comments from scoutship. Bringing the wider perspective is interesting as we do as collectors get anal about things, sad but true.
When I die it'll take a skip for this lot !!! I doubt any of my familly will take this collection lightly.Anyway, what do I care when I am dead ? As long as the vinyl finds a good home, one in which it's played and enjoyed I coudn't give a toss !
Herman, try this. You receive an audio "tape" as a trade or free as a gift from a long standing trading friend. The audio in question is MEGA RARE. Would you still circulate it if asked not to once you had it? Would you break that confidence with a friend? In doing so it would mean you no longer had "access" to other rear material.

scoutship
02-15-10, 03:29 PM
One guy I know put it this way, paraphrasing the old poet:

"A collector's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a Rock 'n Roll heaven for?"

Nobody will ever have it all.

lsdmofro
02-15-10, 04:37 PM
A questions to the experts, archivists, and historians here: Would Bill Graham's (Wolfgang's) be hoarding something nice? It does appear "new things", not necessarily Hendrix, surface. I also wonder about Radio broadcasts? Working at a radio station in 1980's, some old radio station store room with reel to reel stuff surely got thrown out...stuff like that could be in someone's closet/cloak room...but no reel to reel machine to check it...hence, ends up in the trash can...

Herman Cherusken
02-15-10, 09:23 PM
Herman, try this. You receive an audio "tape" as a trade or free as a gift from a long standing trading friend. The audio in question is MEGA RARE. Would you still circulate it if asked not to once you had it? Would you break that confidence with a friend? In doing so it would mean you no longer had "access" to other rear material.

Hmm, that does pose a problem naturally, if I would have made contacts in the trading process that also turned out to be really close friends, people I actually value for who they are and don't wanna let down or be without. My hypothetical perspective was more of a detached attitude and being in the trading environment just for the sake of getting hold of as much unreleased - or uncirculated - material as I possibly could, and not be emotionally involved on a personal level. On the other hand, I usually don't develop close friendships with people that display traits that I deem greedy, or any of the caracteristics that seem to typify the people we are talking about, who hold on to - or rather withhold - material that would be greatly appreciated among people who truly love Jimi and his music. Personally, I simply don't understand or comprehend such a mentality.

What scoutship mentions is completely different, and I would do the same as his brother. Certain things are personal and private and should not be shared with others, with the exception of possibly letting close friends have a peek every once in awhile...

stplsd
02-16-10, 04:35 AM
Yes, I found the original reel with the Wild Thing cut on it.

Is this available anywhere?

Olvator
02-16-10, 04:51 AM
Hmm, that does pose a problem naturally, if I would have made contacts in the trading process that also turned out to be really close friends, people I actually value for who they are and don't wanna let down or be without. My hypothetical perspective was more of a detached attitude and being in the trading environment just for the sake of getting hold of as much unreleased - or uncirculated - material as I possibly could, and not be emotionally involved on a personal level. On the other hand, I usually don't develop close friendships with people that display traits that I deem greedy, or any of the caracteristics that seem to typify the people we are talking about, who hold on to - or rather withhold - material that would be greatly appreciated among people who truly love Jimi and his music. Personally, I simply don't understand or comprehend such a mentality.

What scoutship mentions is completely different, and I would do the same as his brother. Certain things are personal and private and should not be shared with others, with the exception of possibly letting close friends have a peek every once in awhile...

HMM? that´s something I don´t understand...on one hand you cannot understand why people are holding onto certain items, on the other hand you say you would do the same as scoutsip´s brother? What if you recorded a Hendrix show yourself, and still have it in you basement, would that be personal enough to qualify for not being put into circulation?

I do understand your emotion about the "greedy" and possessive type of collectors, but I think they are really a minority among those who have uncirculated material. I am pretty sure in most cases it is friendship and promises and certain surroundings about the character of a tape. For example the Jagger /Jimi jam tape. The guy who taped it had to promise to Mick Jagger not to share it. Now what would you do? I believe in most cases it is only a matter of time and waiting till someday it is in fact going to be shared. No big deal for me, just more to happily wait for.

We should never stop to also try to imagine the situation of the guys who taped the shows...I know some, and the biggest problems always seem to be:

- those guys are 60 now, and have a totally different mind-set about trading. They actually never traded at all. They did tape some shows back then and still have them lying in their basement for 40 years, that´s all.

- but they know about internet blogs, file sharing and such and they also know that if they put their shows into circulation, all the world is gonna have them right away through the internet.

- some of them are afraid that they might face legal problems by letting it out (that is really a big factor!), despite what you tell them.

- AND some of them want to keep their credit for the recording and would hate to see it go on youtube, or as a boot CD on ebay (which is definitely going to happen after some time, there are always idiots who do that)....

NOW, when you are in the process of dealing with such a person, and you are already as far as ..."ok, I can give you a copy, just in case something happens to me"..., or ..."can you please transfer the tape for me, keep a copy and return it"....would you then start a discussion about why they must share their tape freely and all that, and convince them that they are wrong and you are right??
They will most likely say..."hey kid...my tape has been lying in my attic for 40 years, you did not even know it existed, and now you want to put pressure on me? Who are you??? Those other collectors have waited for 40 years, now they can wait another 2 years for me to make up my mind and think about what i want to do with this tape."

Is there anything you could say against that? NO, nothing, dude.

As I said before, time will eventually solve all these problems...

Herman Cherusken
02-16-10, 05:19 AM
I do understand your emotion about the "greedy" and possessive type of collectors...

Lol, so why then are you upset? I spoke about those "greedy" individuals (who doesnt keep it for any other reason than to keep it to themselves, not because it has any personal or sentimental value), and not of any of the other reasons you gave plenty examples of (which merely seems as misunderstandings on their part, that they would get legal hassles, etc). And I gave one example where, in my opinion, there's a valid reason to keep an item (photos or what not) to him/herself and not share it with the wider public. There's a difference, again in my opinion, between having taped a show, or (as in scoutship's brothers case) having pics in conjunction with working backstage on one of Jimi's shows. Pictures exist in an abundance, the music is the essence, and whitholding that is "greedy" as far as I am concerned.

And I don't think time eventually will solve all these problems, as I bet we have been cheated on lots of Jimi stuff because of "greedy" reasons.

There you go, dude.

Olvator
02-16-10, 06:20 AM
Lol?

Upset?

I wasn´t upset at all...did I sound like I was?

I just said that I believe there are not many of those collectors who keep it to themselves JUST because they want to keep it to themselves and for no other reason, in fact I have never heard about a single collector of Hendrix stuff that would give that as the sole reason for hanging onto a tape. It was reported that Anders Lind (Kansson & Karlsson tape) once said: "It is quite enjoyable to have it all to myself"...but I think the main reason is of course money. EH would not allow them to put it out themselves, and if they did, they would get sued til the rest of their lives. Maybe then, they develop the thought of "ok, then I will just keep it to myself". Same for Caesar and the Woburn tape. Of course I was among those who desperatley wanted that tape as long as I knew it had been found, but at the same time I could understand why he would want to keep it. I might have done the same. Sell it for lots of money and then see it being issued, instead of giving it away for free. Same outcome, but more money in the bank.

And I do believe that time will solve most cases. Ok, maybe it will take 20 years, but when those older cats will have died, then stuff will surface, I am pretty sure.

Herman Cherusken
02-16-10, 06:40 AM
Lol?

Upset?

I wasn´t upset at all...did I sound like I was?

Lol, a bit. Perhaps a misinterpretation on my part...

And I do believe that time will solve most cases. Ok, maybe it will take 20 years, but when those older cats will have died, then stuff will surface, I am pretty sure.

I hope you're right...

Fenders Fingers
02-16-10, 08:04 AM
A very emotive issue indeed. Olve is correct, most items will come out in the end. As for stuff being thrown away it will always happen.
Take the BBC. Did they retain all the original tapes, nope.
They did in Jimi's case transfer down some of the recorded material to other tapes, a sub master say. They would then reuse the original tape and at the end of it's life or for storage reasons bin it regardless as to who was last recorded on it.
Losing stuff to the trash is not something solely to JH circles and is never done in a deliberate way (yes I know one exception like the rest of you), and that's life.
Life as a trader has been a positive for me even though some missunderstandings have lead to me wanting to pack it all in, glad I didn't as I would not got to have heard the more recently circulated aud recorings or Woburn etc.
Hermans original point being about collectors witholding material is sadly valid but in the positve it is in the minority compared to say only 10 years ago. We have seen a major "sea change" in that time with attitudes, resulting in collectors being able to offer up more material on a regular basis. The hard nosed collector has become a more friendly animal and is now cooler to deal with. Though great care is still required for material that was obtained many years ago for it to be circulated freely.

stplsd
02-16-10, 08:48 AM
Paris olympia 1967 colour film, all I have seen is the freely available Wild thing clip, is there more out there?

Herman Cherusken
02-24-10, 04:43 AM
So we can conclude there's a collector in New York sitting on rare Jimi b/w video material from 1970. Recorded in similar fashion as his performance at Dick Cavett Show, this time playing HMT, Red House, and Freedom. I know a person having seen the video, and as a die hard Jimi guitarist himself, he described it as nothing less than awesome. Colour photos from the occasion can be seen here: http://theartistshowcase.org/hendrix.htm

Olvator
02-24-10, 05:25 AM
yes, the b/w video footage with sound from Village Gate exists....didn´t EH buy that? That is an item to look for indeed...

I still find it unbevievable sometimes, how photographers want to charge something like 700(!!!) dollars per shot....dude. What happened to prices for photographs? they must have increased as of 1000% during the last 20 years.

backfromthestorm
02-24-10, 05:57 AM
yes, the b/w video footage with sound from Village Gate exists....didn´t EH buy that? That is an item to look for indeed...

I still find it unbevievable sometimes, how photographers want to charge something like 700(!!!) dollars per shot....dude. What happened to prices for photographs? they must have increased as of 1000% during the last 20 years.

Thats crazy, I`d want the originals for that. Thats like £400. If dudes are charging that much for just a photo print, cant imagine what would they`d want for their audio/footage....

jaywho
03-01-10, 03:10 AM
I know of at least one copy of Hendrix on Johnny Carson that was destroyed during Hurricane Katrina.

Sharpstat
03-01-10, 01:13 PM
700 dollars! That's just unreasonable. I remember buying 4 8x10 colour photos of Jimi at Woodstock from Allan Koss for a much more reasonable and affordable price.

staygroovy
03-01-10, 04:50 PM
Does the 'Black Gold' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Gold_%28Jimi_Hendrix_recordings%29) cassette tape that was given to Mitch by Hendrix himself qualify as something that's likely to surface, especially after his passing away?

It was not until 1992 that Tony Brown (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Brown), the avid Hendrix collector and biographer, interviewed Mitchell and learnt that the mythical Black Gold tapes, thought to have been stolen from Jimi's apartment by vandals who ransacked it for collectibles soon after his death, were lying in Mitchell's home in England. Mitchell also possessed the Martin guitar that was used to create the material. Brown was invited to review the tapes and published a summary of his account, but to date the material has not been released and is not available to Hendrix collectors.

Fenders Fingers
03-01-10, 05:13 PM
Don't think the BG tapes ever made "limited circulation". So on that basis I for one hold out little hope of ever hearing these. I'd like to be proved wrong though :bananasmile:

Voodoo Kush
03-01-10, 07:26 PM
I know of at least one copy of Hendrix on Johnny Carson that was destroyed during Hurricane Katrina.

ouch

jaywho
03-02-10, 12:53 AM
ouch
Apperantly, it was a VHS of the full show, in color.

dino77
03-02-10, 04:06 AM
Apperantly, it was a VHS of the full show, in color.

Ouch! People, better start sharing those Jimi jewels...

jaywho
03-03-10, 11:08 PM
Ouch! People, better start sharing those Jimi jewels...The wrost part about it is that the guy had no idea what he had, and he would have been very willing to share it. He MAY have recorded it on 8mm in front of the tv screen, but he has no idea where it would be, if it even still exists.

Horizon
04-23-10, 02:31 AM
Apparently 10 minutes of Jimi's concert in Berlin in September 1970 was filmed along with an interview. I wonder was it 'Machine Gun' as it was a 10 minute version. Will the footage ever see the light of day after 40 years?

Olvator
04-23-10, 04:30 AM
Apparently 10 minutes of Jimi's concert in Berlin in September 1970 was filmed along with an interview. I wonder was it 'Machine Gun' as it was a 10 minute version. Will the footage ever see the light of day after 40 years?

The Chris Bromberg Interview....well, I doubt that much of the concert was filmed. Maybe some scenes from around the event, but not actual straight concert footag. The most part of it is the interview filmed backstage. We tried to get it through different channels, the most promising try was that we had Ray Dorsett (aka Mungo Jerry) ask around for it in various TV stations and vaults. His name appears in that intervierw, as you know, and he said he wanted to use it for his own doc. But he was not succesfull. I don´t know if EH might have that stuff maybe by now??

Ezy Rider
04-29-10, 09:33 AM
There was this reel (7.5 hourse?) of the Ezy Rider sessions of June 15, 1970. Somebody seems to have bought it. Maybe it is a fake. Does anybody more know about this reel?

http://www.gottahaverockandroll.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=3883&searchby=3&searchvalue=hendrix&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=25&category=1

This is Jimi Hendrix's personal reel to reel tape of studio outtakes that he has signed and inscribed in white pencil in very large lettering on the front of the box, "7 1/2 Stereo Rough Mix, Jimi Hendrix, Easy Ryder or (Ezee Ryeder)." He has also dated the back of the box, again in white pencil, "15th June 1970." The recording was most likely made at Electric Lady Studios, which Hendrix had built in New York City in 1970. The tape measures approximately 7" diameter.
Estimate: 10000-12000
<SCRIPT language=javascript type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>http://www.gottahaverockandroll.com/LotImages/5/gottahaveit-353_mid.jpeghttp://www.gottahaverockandroll.com/LotImages/5/gottahaveit-354_mid.jpeg
<TABLE id=ImageControl_landingZone class=landingZone><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Click on a thumbnail above to display a larger image below
Hold down the mouse button and slide side to side to see more thumbnails (if available).

http://www.gottahaverockandroll.com/LotImages/5/gottahaveit-353_med.jpeg (http://www.gottahaverockandroll.com/LotImages/5/gottahaveit-353_lg.jpeg)

Click thumbnail for larger image.

<TABLE id=FooterTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR id=FooterTableRow><TD id=FooterTableColumn1>Bidding
<TABLE id=BiddingSummaryTable cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1><TBODY><TR id=CurrentBidRow><TH id=CurrentBiddingTag colSpan=2>Current Bidding </TH></TR><TR id=MinimumBidRow><TD id=MinimumBiddingTag>Minimum Bid:</TD><TD id=MinimumBidding>$8,000.00</TD></TR><TR style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap" id=FinalBidRow><TD id=FinalBidTag>Final Bid(Includes Buyers Premium):</TD><TD id=FinalBid>$9,600.00</TD></TR><TR id=NumBidsRow><TD id=NumberOfBidsTag>Number of Bids:</TD><TD id=NumberOfBids>1</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD><TD id=FooterTableColumn2 vAlign=top>Lot is closed.
This auction is closed. Bidding ended on: 3/11/2010
<TABLE id=BiddingCellTable><TBODY><TR><TD id=BiddingCell></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Ezy Rider
04-29-10, 09:36 AM
And there was also another reel on offer:

http://www.gottahaverockandroll.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=3882&searchby=3&searchvalue=hendrix&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=25&category=1

This is Jimi Hendrix's personal reel to reel tape of studio outtakes that he has signed and inscribed on the Olympic Sound Studios box label, "1. Room Full of Mirrors, 2. Crying Blue Rain - Jimi Hendrix" in blue ballpoint pen. He has also handwritten the date "22/2/69," the speed "7 1/2," the client, "Polydor" and "Rough Mix." The Olympic studios in Barnes, England was host to many of the great bands of this era including the Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, among others. An incredible rock artifact from the genius himself! The reel measures approximate 7 inches in diameter.
Estimate: 10000-12000
<SCRIPT language=javascript type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>http://www.gottahaverockandroll.com/LotImages/5/gottahaveit-352_mid.jpeg
<TABLE id=ImageControl_landingZone class=landingZone><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Hold down the mouse button and slide side to side to see more thumbnails (if available).

http://www.gottahaverockandroll.com/LotImages/5/gottahaveit-352_med.jpeg (http://www.gottahaverockandroll.com/LotImages/5/gottahaveit-352_lg.jpeg)

<TABLE id=FooterTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR id=FooterTableRow><TD id=FooterTableColumn1>Bidding
<TABLE id=BiddingSummaryTable cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1><TBODY><TR id=CurrentBidRow><TH id=CurrentBiddingTag colSpan=2>Current Bidding </TH></TR><TR id=MinimumBidRow><TD id=MinimumBiddingTag>Minimum Bid:</TD><TD id=MinimumBidding>$8,000.00</TD></TR><TR style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap" id=FinalBidRow><TD id=FinalBidTag>Final Bid(Includes Buyers Premium):</TD><TD id=FinalBid>$9,600.00</TD></TR><TR id=NumBidsRow><TD id=NumberOfBidsTag>Number of Bids:</TD><TD id=NumberOfBids>1</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE id=BiddingCellTable><TBODY><TR><TD id=BiddingCell></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Ezy Rider
04-29-10, 09:38 AM
And yet another one:

http://www.gottahaverockandroll.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=3880&searchby=3&searchvalue=hendrix&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=25&category=1

Jimi Hendrix's original 7 inch acetate for "Burning Of The Midnight Lamp." The Regent Sound studios label is titled "The Jim Hendrix Experience." Jimi has written on one side of the acetate seven lines of lyrics to his song "Burning Of The Midnight Lamp," and on the other side of the acetate Jimi has hand drawn a psychedelic picture. Both written in black ink. An incredible example of Jimi's handwritten lyrics and drawings on a single item. Good condition.
Estimate: 25000-30000
<SCRIPT language=javascript type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>http://www.gottahaverockandroll.com/LotImages/5/3880a_mid.jpeghttp://www.gottahaverockandroll.com/LotImages/5/gottahaveit-407_mid.jpeghttp://www.gottahaverockandroll.com/LotImages/5/gottahaveit-408_mid.jpeg

http://www.gottahaverockandroll.com/LotImages/5/3880a_med.jpeg (http://www.gottahaverockandroll.com/LotImages/5/3880a_lg.jpeg)

<TABLE id=BiddingSummaryTable cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1><TBODY><TR id=CurrentBidRow><TH id=CurrentBiddingTag colSpan=2>Current Bidding </TH></TR><TR id=MinimumBidRow><TD id=MinimumBiddingTag>Minimum Bid:</TD><TD id=MinimumBidding>$20,000.00</TD></TR><TR style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap" id=FinalBidRow><TD id=FinalBidTag>Final Bid(Includes Buyers Premium):</TD><TD id=FinalBid>$24,000.00</TD></TR><TR id=NumBidsRow><TD id=NumberOfBidsTag>Number of Bids:</TD><TD id=NumberOfBids>1</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Ezy Rider
04-30-10, 11:22 PM
Does maybe anyone know something about these reels (of the previous three posts)? Are they reel? Or who bought them? Do we have these already?

Thanks!

vahurka
05-03-10, 08:47 AM
I only know of the Hansen Karlsson jam thingy. I was once on the phone with Steven Carr of Radioactive Records and he told me about his trip to Germany to meet the guy who has the tape (H&K's old manager if I'm not wrong). He was at the time negociating a deal to release the jam on Radioactive. He listened to the whole tape and told me that he found it very interesting and that he could feel that Jimi's playing was very humble and respectful rather than leading. The deal never materialised of course.
There are excerpts of the jam in circulation but is Jimi on there ?

Hi!

Was he Anders Lind, Hansson & Karlsson's old engineer, that talked with Radioactive Records?

According to my Swedish friend, it was Anders Lind (Silence Records) who recorded these Hansson & Karsson & Hendrix tapes with soundboard. In 2007 my Swedish friend wrote this to me:

Anders Lind can't release the jam tapes according to the contract rules, when Hendrix had contract on Track and Hansson & Karlsson on Polydor's Swedish branchI don't know what exactly prevents to release these 4 hours tape, whether it is legal reason or not, but one is for sure: we would gladly see it! :D

bandit
05-03-10, 09:03 AM
http://books.google.se/books?id=JEdeJ6TcNM8C&pg=PA272&lpg=PA272&dq=Anders+Lind+hendrix&source=bl&ots=ldvKooCf0y&sig=IrF12jC2Le9zZe6hy-ctbvtm8aI&hl=sv&ei=v9XeS__6BI2OOIODkLcH&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CCQQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=Anders%20Lind%20hendrix&f=false
exerpt from a book about the four hours.

ilovejimi
05-03-10, 07:17 PM

I remember years ago-- maybe 8 or so-- I read in the paper that a video had been discovered in the archives at the Sweedish TV station. I contacted EH whom told me it was not the second show-rather just another copy of the first show.

ilovejimi
05-03-10, 07:23 PM
April 2010 check out the new Rolling Stone Magazine: The Last Days and Lost Music of Jimi Hendrix - http://www.amazon.com/Rollling-Stone...2932421&sr=1-1 (http://www.amazon.com/Rollling-Stone-April-Music-Hendrix/dp/B003D87HUW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272932421&sr=1-1)

ilovejimi
05-03-10, 07:30 PM
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo279/detroitlionssuck/51NQlXgC3fL.jpg

purplehazechild
05-03-10, 07:42 PM
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo279/detroitlionssuck/51NQlXgC3fL.jpg

I got that magazine. My parents bought it in New york. Very interesting reading!

ilovejimi
05-03-10, 08:27 PM
I got that magazine. My parents bought it in New york. Very interesting reading!

anything good you can share--- I just got back from the bookstore, unfort the Jimi issue is no longer avail:(

ilovejimi
05-03-10, 08:36 PM
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=228955723&blogId=531610841

ilovejimi
05-03-10, 08:39 PM
http://underthegunreview.net/2010/03/19/jimi-hendrix%E2%80%99s-last-days-and-lost-music-new-issue-of-rolling-stone/

purple jim
05-04-10, 12:55 AM
Was he Anders Lind, Hansson & Karlsson's old engineer, that talked with Radioactive Records?

Yes.

Herman Cherusken
05-04-10, 01:29 PM
I don't know what exactly prevents to release these 4 hours tape, whether it is legal reason or not, but one is for sure: we would gladly see it! :D

I spoke with the drummer, Janne Karlsson (or Carlsson rather), and the manager awhile back and as far as they're concerned there are no plans to release anything because of the threat of being sued on alot of money if going international with it. They have been in contact with EH and have apparently not been able to come to any agreement. So EH wont let H and K's people release it, but are not ready to pay adequate money to come in the possession of it...

Crdx
05-04-10, 08:02 PM
So EH wont let H and K's people release it, but are not ready to pay adequate money to come in the possession of it...

Hmm.. Familiar scenario by now, don't you think? Wonder if we'll hear it some day.

Chris M
05-05-10, 02:43 AM
So EH wont let H and K's people release it, but are not ready to pay adequate money to come in the possession of it...

Hmm.. Familiar scenario by now, don't you think? Wonder if we'll hear it some day.

Crdx,

Do you have any evidence of EH not willing to pay for rare recordings? I'm frequently baffled by some of the things they do but if there is one thing they do right it's aggressively go after new recordings and photos. All evidence points to EH being far more willing to open up their checkbook for tapes compared to the Doors, The Who, The Beatles, Janis, the Beach Boys, et al.

Shit, The Who turned down a pro-shot 1975 show. The Doors turned down the Matrix masters because they had copies sourced from poor cassette dubs. The Beach Boys have known about Smile acetates with unique material not on the surviving tapes for decades and they haven't bought them. On the other hand EH has bought many poor aud tapes for well into the 5 figure range. I don't agree with much of what they do but they absolutely plunk down serious money for tapes.

BTW, Mr. Lind has highly sought Floyd live tape that the PF hasn't obtained.

Crdx
05-05-10, 05:41 AM
Crdx,

Do you have any evidence of EH not willing to pay for rare recordings [...]

Hi Chris,

Well what came to my mind were primarily the examples of the Woodstock black and white footage and the Woburn tape. Cases that could have been resolved a lot faster and easier. That's what I meant with my comment, not necessarily a stab against EH. Because I agree with you, EH seems to be doing nice work looking for material though much of their operations do go past my radar. I also belong to the half of this board that enjoys VoN, so I'm anticipating what they've got up their sleeve for us next...

Interesting how you draw a comparison with the management of Jimi's contemporaries. The Doors archive management doesn't seem that bad, they have released a lot of live recordings the last couple of years. But yeah, that Matrix tape thing is pretty silly. I think most of their releases were around in bootleg form anyway.

The band that really has things sorted out the best has to be The Grateful Dead. Just such an insane amount of their shows is recorded in great quality and freely available AND on top of that their management keeps releasing/packaging shows. I sometimes dream that more groups, like Hendrix and Canned Heat, had made such arrangements early on in their career!

karsten
05-05-10, 01:57 PM

Was there any new info in the Rolling Stone mag or was it just the usual summer of 1970 stories?

tallboy333
05-05-10, 05:44 PM
So does anybody have any idea what is on the H & K tape as far as songs, jam sessions, etc.? Maybe multiple takes on "Tax Free"? Jimi obviously learned that song from jamming with those guys so those sessions must have occurred, any chance that "Tax Free" might be part of the tape? If it is good stuff I would hope EH would do what is necessary to obtain the tape, if they consider it releasable. If not, they should let it be released to the collector's market (US!).
If it sounds like the other tape that is circulating as the H & K tape, then forget it. I have a real hard time believing that is Jimi on those jams. I've heard fake Jimi I knew was fake sound better than whatever is on those jams. I'm not gonna call it crap but I don't have enough drugs in the house to sedate my brain enough to listen to that stuff.

Chris M
05-05-10, 10:17 PM
Well what came to my mind were primarily the examples of the Woodstock black and white footage and the Woburn tape. Cases that could have been resolved a lot faster and easier. That's what I meant with my comment, not necessarily a stab against EH.

I spoke to someone that was privy to the negotiation of the b&w Woodstock footage and by all account the taper was paid handsomely for the footage. Releasing that b&w video on a bonus disc for $11.99 was the coolest thing EH has done to date. Of course, like everyone else I'm bummed about Gypsy Woman but there is a decent reason it wasn't included. Said reason is not performance or royalty concearns either.

Interesting how you draw a comparison with the management of Jimi's contemporaries. The Doors archive management doesn't seem that bad, they have released a lot of live recordings the last couple of years.

That have released a lot of shows but that's pretty much all they have. All they have in their archive is the handful of '69-'70 shows recorded for the Absolutley Live LP. There are several unbooted 2 track SB recordings from 1967 they have passed on and just about everyone considers the '67/'68 period far better than the 1970 tour. They only have 1 pre '69 show and that's already out (Hollywood Bowl). Actually, they do have 1 '67 4 track but it is missing the drums so it isn't really usable.

Fenders Fingers
05-06-10, 06:33 AM
Regards the H&K jams. Anyone here give me the venue and date for these jams. Also did Jimi play guitar or bass guitar on these jams, or maybe both?

dino77
05-06-10, 07:08 AM
Regards the H&K jams. Anyone here give me the venue and date for these jams. Also did Jimi play guitar or bass guitar on these jams, or maybe both?

The venue was a Stockholm club called Filips. The jam took place after a concert at the Gröna Lund tivoli, so the likely date is September 11, 1967.
There are different accounts as to whether Jimi played guitar or bass (or indeed both). I just read an account from a Swedish musician who says Jimi played bass at the jam at Filips. Also that he jammed with HK on guitar at a jam at the club Golden Circle (May 25). Likely they jammed several times, but maybe only the Filps jam was recorded (by Anders Lind, who was the DJ at the club).

karsten
05-06-10, 07:31 AM
Jimi told a reporter on January 6 1968 in Copenhagen that "I like to listen to free-form beat like e.g. the Swedes Hansson and Karlsson- they are really great. We - Noel, Mitch and I - played with them for 5 hours straight in Sweden".
Wether he is refering to the earlier visit in September 1967 or January 1968 is not stated..

Fenders Fingers
05-06-10, 07:44 AM
From what I hear on the tape, no Mitch or Noel so if Jimi says he jammed five hours etc he was not talking about this recorded Jam. So maybe another recording also exists?
I don't hear any bass guitar on this, can anyone who has listened to this recording confirm this?

dino77
05-06-10, 10:43 AM
Yeah, there's only guitar, drums and organ audible on the excerpts.

manfree
05-06-10, 11:02 AM
Thats IF the excerpts are the Real Thing, which I`m not to sure, to be the case, Either way, they`re pretty dire!

MourningStar
05-06-10, 11:28 AM
Does audio or video from the Timothy Leary benefit qualify for this topic?

Fenders Fingers
05-06-10, 11:32 AM
Does audio or video from the Timothy Leary benefit qualify for this topic?
Yes, get it all out MS.

Fenders Fingers
05-06-10, 11:35 AM
Thats IF the excerpts are the Real Thing, which I`m not to sure, to be the case, Either way, they`re pretty dire!

Not sure what your listening to but what I listen to are genuine, be it excerpts or otherwise. Just the finer details I wanted, venue date etc.
Sso what else is out in(limited) circulation. The H&K jams are not really worth the amount of posts they are getting imho.

johanincr
05-06-10, 11:58 AM
Sso what else is out in(limited) circulation.

What about all those audience tapes of shows that happened but no tape has been found yet? Much more interesting/rewarding than chasing a handful of items you know a handful of guys have no?

There are about 200 JHE shows in 1967 that happened that we have no tape of, over 100 in 1968, about 20 in 1969 and only about 5 from 1970.

1967 tapes/shows are always good :bang:

dino77
05-06-10, 12:16 PM
What about all those audience tapes of shows that happened but no tape has been found yet? Much more interesting/rewarding than chasing a handful of items you know a handful of guys have no?

There are about 200 JHE shows in 1967 that happened that we have no tape of, over 100 in 1968, about 20 in 1969 and only about 5 from 1970.

It feels a bit like all the experts/collectors have already been there looking... Although new recordings still turn up occasionally. In Sweden Jimi is a huge legend, so it feels inconceivable that anyone is hoarding an unknown tape. A co-worker of mine mentioned he attended the Karlstad concert on 20 May 1967...though I never asked if he recorded it, it seemed a bit nerdy ;).

thunderbaas
05-06-10, 12:19 PM
Hi Johan,
Right on the nose,your remark,I'd say that the guy (or girl) who has the tape of the 11-10-'67 Ahoy Rotterdam concert,should report imediately overhere at CTT!!!!!!!

Thunderbaas.
(Tot woensdag)

Fenders Fingers
05-06-10, 02:04 PM

If the tapes have yet to be found (note the positive spin ) how can they be included here in the what is in (limited) circles post?
Thanks for the totals for unearthed material though.
I do hope your promt Johan will encorage some of the readers here to do a bit of research. As it is with streaming, Hard drives etc it's not as if Jimi collectors have the excuse they are too busy collecting to do a little research.
Back to thread. Dans In may not be in general circulation (I don't know why) but should be and is worth hearing, H&K is not in general circulation (I don't know why) and is not worth the effort finding a copy in my opinion but collectors are collectors. It will never get an official release or even a Dagger outing. Both have been around long enough for the material to be built up into maybe something they are not. Anyone going to circulate this stuff soon?
So what else is knocking about that not all of us have access to?

dino77
05-06-10, 02:16 PM
Hm, it does seem a number of people have the 2 hours or so of circulating Hansson and Karlsson jams - they're described in Benjamin Franklin. So why not let the cat out of the bag? Let us hear how crap the stuff is, so we can get over it!

:pimp:

Fenders Fingers
05-06-10, 02:18 PM
Hi Johan,
Right on the nose,your remark,I'd say that the guy (or girl) who has the tape of the 11-10-'67 Ahoy Rotterdam concert,should report imediately overhere at CTT!!!!!!!

Thunderbaas.
(Tot woensdag)

Who, what, when thunderbaas? Please expand on this.

Fenders Fingers
05-06-10, 02:43 PM
What about the aud' recordings from Maui. Anyone got details?
What about the new Hamburg show, opinions and why isn't this in general circulation?

Hey Jon, you sure you don't have things under the floor boards up in the attic?

tallboy333
05-06-10, 05:38 PM
These are the 2 torrents on the site purporting to be the jams with Hansson and Karlsson. I'm not saying they're not real, but if it is Jimi it's some of the most uninteresting stuff I've ever heard him do. Maybe the Mandies in Sweden at the time were just over the top but you really don't hear him playing his signature stuff. Admittedly I've only listened to it maybe a couple of times but that was all I could take.

Is there another, as yet unheard or uncirculated tape that contains other, more interesting things we have not heard? Jimi's familiarity with "Tax Free" certainly did not come out of what is on these sources. We may be comparing apples to oranges here, this may not be the tape Karlsson was talking about.

http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?t=905&highlight=hansson+karlsson

http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?t=101&highlight=hansson+karlsson

MourningStar
05-06-10, 07:43 PM
The H&K jams are not really worth the amount of posts they are getting imho.I agree. However, as I am not much familiar w/these jams there must be a reason, and I am more interested in that. What gives?

thunderbaas
05-07-10, 04:55 AM
Hey Fender Fingers,
This was just a hypothetical plea,as far as we know there has not surfaced anny recording of 11-10-'67 Rotterdam yet. But we keep hoping it will some day...............
It was the only complete gig Jimi ever did in Holland,except for the "Hoepla" recordings of that same day,which were for dutch television,and can be found on CTT in several threadsHendrix - 1967-11-10 - Bussum, Netherlands.torrent. (http://crosstowntorrents.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=158&d=1205508354)
Some more info on this concert can be found herehttp://www.univibes.com/JimiPlaysRotterdam.html

Thundrbaas.

Fenders Fingers
05-07-10, 05:18 AM
Hey Fender Fingers,
This was just a hypothetical plea,as far as we know there has not surfaced anny recording of 11-10-'67 Rotterdam yet. But we keep hoping it will some day...............
It was the only complete gig Jimi ever did in Holland,except for the "Hoepla" recordings of that same day,which were for dutch television,and can be found on CTT in several threadsHendrix - 1967-11-10 - Bussum, Netherlands.torrent. (http://crosstowntorrents.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=158&d=1205508354)
Some more info on this concert can be found herehttp://www.univibes.com/JimiPlaysRotterdam.html

Thundrbaas.

Oh right, hprothetical ...................................... you don't want a copy of the recording I have then ?

Only joking chaps.:superg9lp:

thunderbaas
05-08-10, 12:48 AM
At first glance,my heart skipped a beat,but then I scroled down...............
Well no problem Blender Fingers,I can take a joke.

all the best
Thunderbaas.

Fenders Fingers
05-08-10, 04:57 AM
At first glance,my heart skipped a beat,but then I scroled down...............
Well no problem Blender Fingers,I can take a joke.

all the best
Thunderbaas.
Life would be too dull without Jimi and some humour.
Stay cool my friend.
FF

ranasakawa
05-08-10, 06:56 PM
I thought Experience Hendrix has a SBD of a London Jimi show he performed early in 1967. Now that would be exciting.

Also is there really a Studio recording of 'Like a Rolling Stone' ???

Chris M
05-08-10, 07:59 PM
yes in deed- its on the album: brilliant outtakes demos and other specials

http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?t=2656 (link is for artwork only-as posted by Firstrays (thanks Mick).

:rimshot:
That isn't a studio version. A studio version was recorded but the tapes have never turned up. The track annotations of that disc you liked to are filled with errors.

purple jim
05-09-10, 03:19 AM

I remember reading a Chandler quote in which he said that he had studio renditions of "Wild Thing" and "Like A Rolling Stone". I'm not making this up. I must try and find the source.

univibs
05-09-10, 04:21 AM
I remember reading a Chandler quote in which he said that he had studio renditions of "Wild Thing" and "Like A Rolling Stone". I'm not making this up. I must try and find the source.
I think I read that too, if I remember right it was on the "straight ahead" magazine in the early 90's I think there were a few more songs, recorded late 66 and early 67. but that's only my memory. sometimes a memoery only sees what he wants to belive.

Olvator
05-09-10, 04:39 AM
yes, they did try to record Rolling Stone, but never went past the basic track attempts. According to Chas, Mitch kept speeding up during the takes and the abandonoed the idea. I talked to Michael Fairchild a few years ago, and asked whether he had ever come across those takes while he was able to acces EH´s vault, but he reported he did not find them (but he did look!)...

Chris M
05-09-10, 05:25 AM
A lot of the AYE session tapes are MIA. What hurts the most is the CBS session tapes from 12/66 that contained early versions of 3rd Stone and Love Or Confusion among others. This is why the UK version of Red House (on the Track LP and :Blues) has never been remixed to stereo..

karsten
05-09-10, 05:46 AM
Does anybody know where the Out Of The Studio material is source from? Are they mixdowns from back then or were they done later on?

kees1954
05-09-10, 07:01 AM
Does anybody know where the Out Of The Studio material is source from? Are they mixdowns from back then or were they done later on?
As far as I know they are all Kingsway recordings. Wasn't Dave Siddle the engineer, and didn't he live in Munich recently? I once had a farfetched theory that this bootleg appeared in Germany because somebody got in touch with one of the engineers at the sessions. Probably the story is completely different. The tapes must have been in storage somewhere, and were not handed over to Chas like the Olympic tapes.

ilovejimi
05-09-10, 12:24 PM
That isn't a studio version. A studio version was recorded but the tapes have never turned up. The track annotations of that disc you liked to are filled with errors.

thank you :cheese:

kees1954
05-09-10, 04:38 PM

Noel Redding wrote in his diary that 'Like a Rolling Stone' was recorded at Kingsway on 1 March 1967 (if memory serves me well)

jeffhmason
05-10-10, 09:10 AM
Good memory, although Ultimate Experience states it was De Lane Lea, not Kingsway. The book also confirms the story that, per Chas, they were unable to complete a finished master because Mitch "could never keep the time right". Apparently this bugged Chas because when he first saw Jimi playing at the Cafe Wha? in New York, the two songs he saw him perform were "Hey Joe" and "Like A Rolling Stone", so he always wanted to have Jimi complete a studio recording of LARS.

dino77
05-10-10, 10:11 AM
Good memory, although Ultimate Experience states it was De Lane Lea, not Kingsway. The book also confirms the story that, per Chas, they were unable to complete a finished master because Mitch "could never keep the time right". Apparently this bugged Chas because when he first saw Jimi playing at the Cafe Wha? in New York, the two songs he saw him perform were "Hey Joe" and "Like A Rolling Stone", so he always wanted to have Jimi complete a studio recording of LARS.

De Lane Lea was also known as Kingsway (from the street adress); it's the same studio.
Anyway, LARS is one of those Hendrix numbers that was meant for live performance, he's telling a story. Not unlike Machine Gun in that respect.

jeffhmason
05-10-10, 03:37 PM
De Lane Lea was also known as Kingsway (from the street adress); it's the same studio.
Anyway, LARS is one of those Hendrix numbers that was meant for live performance, he's telling a story. Not unlike Machine Gun in that respect.

Thanks for that. I'd always though they were different facilities.

Bodhi
05-10-10, 05:23 PM
In the interview everyone keeps talking about, Chas said that he had enough unreleased material in his possession to create an entire album, including a studio recording of Like A Rolling Stone, so it's not lost, Chas had it.

MourningStar
05-10-10, 05:27 PM
... so it's not lost, Chas had it.where would it be now? where is Chas' estate?

Chris M
05-10-10, 05:40 PM
In the interview everyone keeps talking about, Chas said that he had enough unreleased material in his possession to create an entire album, including a studio recording of Like A Rolling Stone, so it's not lost, Chas had it.

Can you post the quote for that? I had thought Chas and Noel simply said it was recorded, not that he had it.

EH bought Chas' tapes and they don't have LARS. Also, AFAIK Chas' tapes were all from Olympic, not De Lane Lea (aka Kingsway). The so called Chandler Tapes were 64 four track reels from Olympic.

Chris M
05-10-10, 05:42 PM
I've been trying to track down Dave Siddle for some non-Jimi research I'm doing for a magazine feature. If anyone know how to contact I'd very much appreciate it.

Bodhi
05-10-10, 08:23 PM
I don't remember the interview it was from, but I read it very recently, in the past week or so (I've been reading and listening to a lot of Jimi interviews). He was talking about how he had enough material for an entire album, and he mentioned a studio recording of LARS, and another song, but I don't remember the title. Maybe it was Wild Thing or Sgt Pepper?

stplsd
05-10-10, 09:19 PM
There is no record of a studio recording of 'Rolling Stone' (Jimi had already recorded his arrangement of the music to this with Curtis Knight on their civil rights anthem single 'How Would You Feel'. Chas (& Jimi) did like to "talk", they chatted about this and several other songs of which there is no recorded trace to the press, while making AYE or whatever ("Oh, we've had to record the 1st album all over again, so there will be a delay". "Oh Jimi just left half of Axis in a taxi so ...blah blah"). They were not into releasing covers. 'Hey Joe' was an exception their big 'chart breakthrough' song (complete with girl background singers). Most of Jimi's live act at the time was covers [billed almost as a "R&B"/"Soul" act - the audience wasn't quite, ready, yet], but they (Most likely Jimi, but Chas at least) were determined to release all "originals" - original as the World had seen!
All Along The Watchtower obviously moved Jimi to a similar extent that Rolling Stone did, but was more open to interpretation and was a new release. It was his most popular single release, but he very seldom played it in concert.

Chris M
05-11-10, 12:47 AM
There is no record of a studio recording of 'Rolling Stone'

Well, nothing firm but Chas said they did and Noel put in his diary entry on 3/1 "recorded LARS at Kingsway, hard to get good bass sound.". I think it's likely they did make a stab at it.

purple jim
05-11-10, 01:33 AM
where would it be now? where is Chas' estate?

Didn't Experience Hendrix purchase what was in Chas's estate a short while back?
That's how the 1967 & 1969 Olympic recordings (with his 1987 overdubs) ended up on "Valleys Of Neptune".

Bodhi
05-11-10, 06:37 AM
Didn't Experience Hendrix purchase what was in Chas's estate a short while back?
That's how the 1967 & 1969 Olympic recordings (with his 1987 overdubs) ended up on "Valleys Of Neptune".
Then we should get to hear it eventually. Maybe it will be on the anthology box set?

karsten
05-11-10, 07:07 AM
As Kees pointed out earlier in this thread, the De Lane Lea tapes were not handed over to Chas as the Olympic tapes since the Olympic tapes were recovered when Olympic Studios cleaned out their vaults prior to 1987..

stplsd
05-11-10, 04:10 PM
Well, nothing firm but Chas said they did and Noel put in his diary entry on 3/1 "recorded LARS at Kingsway, hard to get good bass sound.". I think it's likely they did make a stab at it.

I should have added "existing" to my post.

ranasakawa
05-15-10, 01:43 AM
I am far from convinced that we have seen the last of some great un-heard/unreleased Jimi Hendrix studio recordings from 1967 to 1970.

It's one of those things that make Jimi Hendrix an exciting musician to collect and listen to.

karsten
05-30-10, 08:55 AM
Is the Denver 1969 colour 16 mm film from Ben's auction in circulation? Looks very exciting

johanincr
05-30-10, 10:03 AM
http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?p=3926

but i thought it was 8mm film.

karsten
06-01-10, 04:58 AM
Thanx a lot

jeffhmason
06-01-10, 10:08 AM
http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?p=3926

but i thought it was 8mm film.

It is indeed 8mm film shot by Lance Romance.

karsten
06-03-10, 10:59 AM
Does anybody know how much Rainbow Bridge footage exists (not the concert)?
Is there any unseen footage left or did it end up on the cutting room floor?
Would love to see any less spaced out moments of Jimi in Hawaii than what was in the film..

Horizon
06-03-10, 02:24 PM
Does anybody know how much Rainbow Bridge footage exists (not the concert)?
Is there any unseen footage left or did it end up on the cutting room floor?
Would love to see any less spaced out moments of Jimi in Hawaii than what was in the film..
I would love to see the full footage of Jimi near the sea with the sun setting, which you can see a bit of during Jimi's conversation with Chuck Wein and Pat Hartley in the attic. You can see Jimi talking and he seems lucid so hopefully he'd make more sense than he did in the attic...

ranasakawa
06-04-10, 02:20 AM
There is a collectors DVD with quite a bit of concert footage from Rainbow Bridge concert Hawaii 1970 available.
It's not bad at all.

stplsd
06-04-10, 11:34 PM
he seems lucid
He's almost a silhouette, it's silent, who knows what he was saying.

hopefully he'd make more sense than he did in the attic...

I think he made perfect sense in the "attic", after he stopped talking to Pat & Wien, when he went into his rap - ie he was having a "cosmic" laugh in his unique, very visual way. (interesting hint foretelling of his demise - choking on a grape in Queen Cleo's vinyard [around the time of his "Drown in wine" lyric/poem])

dino77
06-05-10, 01:10 AM
He's almost a silhouette, it's silent, who knows what he was saying.

I think he made perfect sense in the "attic", after he stopped talking to Pat & Wien, when he went into his rap - ie he was having a "cosmic" laugh in his unique, very visual way. (interesting hint foretelling of his demise - choking on a grape in Queen Cleo's vinyard [around the time of his "Drown in wine" lyric/poem])

Agreed. Doesn't sound like stoned gibberish to me; he got forced into taping a scene for Jeffery's worthless movie and is having a laugh, perhaps subtly poking fun at Wein et al who are so far out, man. Wein claims they weren't stoned, just a little bit of wine, though who knows.

Chris M
06-05-10, 04:22 AM
That's how I've heard it too. Jimi poking fun at Wein's "far out, man" vibe.

karsten
06-05-10, 05:33 AM
The question is - with Jimi being the entry to getting the film released - if Wein was wise enough to leave cameras running...

Douglas once said about the concert tapes, that they were found on somebody's porch and they had already been copied once.

Was this bullshit, or does anybody have info on this?

Chas J.
06-05-10, 09:52 AM
I'd like to see more May June and July of 1970 gigs pop up. From listening to the existing tapes of that period I think Jimi was never better.

There has GOT to be some of these out there. Some dweeb hiding it under his bed for 40 years?

Albuquerque - 6/19
Ventura - 6/21
Denver, Red Rocks - 6/23
Miami, Hai-Alai Fronton - 7/5
San Diego, (Balboa Stadium?) - 7/25

I know 1970 is the prehistoric days but didn't the sound guys record off the board for Mike Jeffery?

jeffhmason
06-07-10, 09:47 AM
The 23-June-1970 show was not scheduled for Red Rocks, but for Mammoth Gardens (now a branch of the Fillmore franchise). This gig was supposedly canceled and never took place, so we can scratch that off the list.

Roland Stone
06-07-10, 08:03 PM
I was thinking about unreleased recordings of Jimi with other celebs. Now that the long-lost Arthur Lee/Love collaboration with Jimi has finally been freed, and the Steven Stills collab is reportedly coming soon, there still remains one tape that's long been discussed but still remains heard only by a privileged few.

The TAJ MAHAL jam!

I want it! And when I get it, I'm going to give a copy to Taj myself!

Unfortunately the last I heard, Janie had it. :< Is that right?

Roland Stone
06-07-10, 08:11 PM
I'd like to see more May June and July of 1970 gigs pop up. From listening to the existing tapes of that period I think Jimi was never better.

There has GOT to be some of these out there. Some dweeb hiding it under his bed for 40 years?

Albuquerque - 6/19
Ventura - 6/21
Denver, Red Rocks - 6/23

I know 1970 is the prehistoric days but didn't the sound guys record off the board for Mike Jeffery?

And while you're at it, what about Anaheim 68? I've got a vintage AM radio spot advertising that show on 93 KHJ, so there must have been many thousands of fans in attendance. So how come "Just Ask the Axis" doesn't even have a set list or a review, much less a recording?

Anybody here know ANYTHING else about that show? Tickets were only $3!

DIZWALTNEY
06-09-10, 02:37 AM
what about the reel that contained the raw Are you you experienced, left in the back of a cab by Jimi, The ghetto Fighters have a tune they wont release, and what about Hendrix with cream playing killing floor,.....Steven Roby talks about a 25 minute Jam that hendrix played in the dark, and Santana claimes he was in the studio when Hendrix had to be physically removed from the guitar...also, what about
'all gods children" as mentioned in rolling stone...
How about the sound board 0f Hendrix @ MSG 1968 playing "s.c.m." aka The Symphony. so brilliantly shown in my youtube video of the same name
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_egTdGnar0:82cfc67d3dd9b9c3ad1

johanincr
06-09-10, 04:58 AM
Jimi left half of Axis in the back of a cab, not AYE.
The Jam w/Cream wasnt recorded.
Soundboard of MSG68 - Jimi didnt play there in 1968....

Herman Cherusken
01-25-11, 07:17 AM
So we can conclude there's a collector in New York sitting on rare Jimi b/w video material from 1970. Recorded in similar fashion as his performance at Dick Cavett Show, this time playing HMT, Red House, and Freedom. I know a person having seen the video, and as a die hard Jimi guitarist himself, he described it as nothing less than awesome. Colour photos from the occasion can be seen here: http://theartistshowcase.org/hendrix.htm

Anyone keeping a tab on this one, like any news on when - and if - this piece will see the light of the day, either as a EH release or by any other means?

Gypsy Eyes
01-25-11, 09:34 AM
a Fehmarn SB I hope :D

Sharpstat
01-25-11, 11:54 AM

Albuquerque - 6/19
Ventura - 6/21
Denver, Red Rocks - 6/23

Speaking of Balboa stadium years ago my buddy and I decide to visit the local guitar shop in San Diego around 1975. The owner had pics of Jimi and stated it was from Balboa park! I asked him if he wanted to sell any or have prints made. This fool idiot copped an attitude and we left! Dumb shit, I had colour pics from Hawaii to trade along with B&W prints from 1969 LA Forum concert.Just shows the "I've got mine" mentality of some Jimi fans. Sad thing is when you die it usually gets tossed into the garbage by unknowing family cleaning out your belongings, and is lost forever.In these photos he was wearing the blue dashiki that he wore at Newport Pop festival(Northridge,CA) and Dick Cavett.Anyone on here able to confirm this concert at all?

manfree
01-25-11, 11:56 AM
What Material Might be Floating Around in Limited Collector Circles?
Not a Fuggin Lot!!
Otherwise We`d have it!!!!!!!!

johanincr
01-25-11, 11:57 AM
thats very interesting Sharpstat!

my gut feeling says those were pictures of 24 may 1969, when the JHE played San Diego too.
Jimi was wearing the 'IOW/Butterfly' outfit at the 1970 show.
afaik, not a single photo from the 24 may 69 show has surfaced.
odd, because we do have a soundboard recording of it (Stages).

kdion11
01-25-11, 02:28 PM
Anyone keeping a tab on this one, like any news on when - and if - this piece will see the light of the day, either as a EH release or by any other means?

KD: Must be the Timothy Leary benefit from NYC in early May 1970. I've seen that one too, and it's killer quality.

LE-20
01-25-11, 08:01 PM
(http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?p=45842#post45842)

KD: Must be the Timothy Leary benefit from NYC in early May 1970. I've seen that one too, and it's killer quality.

Janie chills in her office watching the B&W video and color film...I heard that story almost 10 years ago. As was stated by Sharpstat, it is the "I've got mine" mentality.
The doc for Blue wild angel shows about 2 seconds from the color film. KD is a lucky person. Most of us won't be around when it is released.

Chris M
01-25-11, 08:31 PM

I've talked to a couple collectors over the years that saw the Village Gate footage and IIRC they reported that Jimi plays ok but seems really down and depressed. Would you agree with that? In any event another pro shot Red House and Hear My Train needs a home on DVD pronto.

Dolly Dagger
01-25-11, 09:35 PM
KD you gotta sneak a little pocket recorder in sometimes!

stplsd
01-26-11, 03:49 AM
Apparently, the vibes in that place were pretty weird from the get-go.

As Wavy Gravy tells it in Rolling Stone (August 69):
"[...] we’re in this cement apple [ie New York] and this cat set up a benefit for Tim Leary and the Holding Together stuff and it was in the basement of the Village Gate and they carried me in on a stretcher and it was the debut for my all star cast [ie he was in an upper body and head plaster cast due to a back injury with stars painted on it], which, thank God. I was wearing, be­cause North Beach Marvin — do you know him? he's the heir to Green Stamps — he's really totally insane, totally, totally insane, man — he has these sheep that he follows around and they kept galloping back and forth across my chest, I was laying on the floor, I was laying down there because, you know, and it was really a nice little sound, click, click, click, of the little hooves across the top of the plaster and I'm blasting 'em with my water pistol, you know, and screaming for Louis to get his — Louis really is anti-meat and screams like the best flesh is newborn babies, why don't you eat newborn babies. It would be right in the middle of Allen Ginsberg reading a poem and he lets out a scream — he wants a love-in Easter Sunday in the park. He tore my mind to the sky, just ripped out here and stuck in clouds. It was so odd, he had us going, cooking, and he runs up on the stage and dribbling sperm from his fingers "You've just seen a living orgasm.
He has this mountain — yeah, yeah, he's there and everybody's there, and Abbie Hoffman helped set this benefit up for Tim; Jimi Hendrix is gonna play, and Johnny Winters is gonna play, but nobody really knows that because it's all mysterious and ultra-hip and you know, there's a few people there, Allen Gins­berg is there and Alan Watts and every­body, Louis is screaming and doing his thing, and one of these limp chicks doing their thing, and everybody is zonked and it's a real hodgepodge, and it was rich. So they laid me down there and then suddenly it became a lawyer's lec­ture for Tim and what's going on in his jam till Allen Ginsberg gave me the mike and I said well, you know, there's a lot of people in the revolution that say I'm not serious, you know, the Hog Farm is not serious. Panthers in Chicago when I was wandering around the streets with a three-foot inflatable banana and I found it to be a good tactic because the police would ask me where I was going, I'd say I was walking my banana and they'd just keep driving, man, they didn't want to talk about nothing. And that's the only way I can handle any of this, is if I can giggle at it and laugh at it "cause it's so horrible, it's like a valve on a pressure cooker and when you can laugh that's just like, otherwise you're just going to wind up with beans all over the ceiling which in other words is bands in the sky and like McMurphy after Cuckoo's Nest, like your eyes are full of cement.
JB: Something like the scenes the Indians are going through are kind of hard to laugh at or laugh with even.
<O:pBonnie Jean: It's not laugh at. Just doing it with joy.
Wavy: We had a great time, we had a great time. We paid certain dues. It's like — sometimes I really go too far — like when Bobby Seale was gagged, I was going to put a gag on — everybody was walking around in front of the big Chicago Picasso with gags on and I was going to gag the banana, too. but it's really good, but it was really bad, and I can dig it and I censored, right? [...]

thunderbaas
01-26-11, 05:35 AM
Nice story STPLSD, guess these were some wild times,spiked with a lot of LSD etc. LOL
All the best,
Thunderbaas.

purple jim
01-26-11, 06:26 AM
And while you're at it, what about Anaheim 68?
Anybody here know ANYTHING else about that show?

http://jimihendrix.forumactif.net/t887-anaheim-convention-center-9-fevrier-1968

dino77
01-26-11, 12:08 PM
the Amboy Dukes (?) drummer is really, really good.

Might be Dave Palmer, who was assistant engineer at Electric Lady summer 1970.

kdion11
01-26-11, 12:55 PM
(http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?p=45842#post45842)

Janie chills in her office watching the B&W video and color film...I heard that story almost 10 years ago. As was stated by Sharpstat, it is the "I've got mine" mentality.
The doc for Blue wild angel shows about 2 seconds from the color film. KD is a lucky person. Most of us won't be around when it is released.

KD: Hey LE ! Not that lucky - just know a few cool collectors, and know when and
where to keep my big mouth shut ! hahahahahaha. Love that photo of your showing
the "Broadcast" Bootleg. That was one of my first JH boots in the early '70's. Got them in Kings Cross in Sydney Australia along with "Incident at Rainbow Bridge" and LA Forum '70.

kdion11
01-26-11, 12:58 PM
I've talked to a couple collectors over the years that saw the Village Gate footage and IIRC they reported that Jimi plays ok but seems really down and depressed. Would you agree with that? In any event another pro shot Red House and Hear My Train needs a home on DVD pronto.

KD: Hey Chris. No, not down or depressed, but remember that they were playing in a Jazz Club - The Village Gate,
so no burning guitars or playing with the teeth here. Just solid playing, a quick 3 song set and Billy and Jimi were limited
to a single Marshall Stack each. Killer performance.

Fenders Fingers
01-27-11, 02:38 AM
KD:
the "Broadcast" Bootleg. That was one of my first JH boots in the early '70's. Got them in Kings Cross in Sydney Australia along with "Incident at Rainbow Bridge" and LA Forum '70.

Kings Cross, Sydney, now that's a blast from the past .......................... onder why I never did any record shopping her way back in the early 70's :-)

Lord Summerisle
01-27-11, 05:00 AM
Kings Cross, Sydney, now that's a blast from the past .......................... onder why I never did any record shopping her way back in the early 70's :-)

Haha, I wonder why indeed.

Fenders Fingers
01-27-11, 11:23 AM
Hey, I was only 17/18 at the time :-)

yelapavision
01-28-11, 01:43 AM
There's two different films of the village gate, one is silent 8mm (owned by EH), the other is B&W videotape with sound, owned by David Kramer.

I agree Chris M.
I originally made that comment sometime back about Jimi looking a bit down and out in the b/w Village Gate footage. You can't miss it. I had the unique opportunity to view the film some years back. The footage of Noel jamming with Johnny Winter and the Amboy Dukes (?) drummer is really, really good. Apparently, the vibes in that place were pretty weird from the get-go. Noel, Alan Douglas and a bunch of other known names all combined with the usual intake of artificial stimulation probably didn't help out much either. Tension and conflicts? Probably.

By the way, EH may have a viewing copy but it's not confirmed that they currently own it. It's someone else with the ownership the last I heard.

Yazid Manou
01-31-11, 09:52 AM
I tried to check to the all posts here : do we have some news about the Hendrix/Zappa jam ? A friend from Rock & Folk magazine interviewed Dweezil who claimed the Zappa family owns a tape. I suppose all we have to do is to wait !

Another crazy rumour I wrote last week on the Ayler french forum : a guy from the french TV crew who followed Johnny Hallyday tour back in october 1966 confirmed they filmed 10 minutes of The Experience live and gave the footage to Jimi....Quite difficult to believe headscratch1. Of course, he never tell me what concert, what city.

I'm also still thinking of Deering Howe who said to me he's got somewhere in his vaults a tape of the jam he did with Jimi and Mick Jagger on "Let It Bleed" in his room on 27 november 1969...

YM

wallybag
03-01-11, 01:16 AM
here is the jimi hendrix Oct 1966 footage on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVb7xuASjlw

dino77
03-01-11, 11:43 AM
here is the jimi hendrix Oct 1966 footage on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVb7xuASjlw

Nice! Did not know that much was available.

zombywoof57
03-03-11, 10:53 PM
Feb. 18th RAH show sb/multitrack, anyone?
That and a lot of the stuff from that Dutch radio broadcast that was posted here a while ago (complete Tears of Rage, complete McLaughlin jam?). I guess EH has the Feb. 18th RAH show, but it sounds like someone else does too...
in the 1990's i did some trading with a guy named Bob terry, whom had the RAH 18th show in SBD,i still kick myself in the ass, for not wanting it, when he offered it to me! he has lotza unheard audio that he bought from a Sotheby's auction in NY, like a live jam with the Buddy Miles Express at (if my memory serves me right), Fillmore West? as well as un-heard versions of valley's of Neptune(rare lyrics), and a truck load of "i'm a man"(mannish boy) rehersals, and unheard Cry of Love material

Bodhi
03-04-11, 05:40 AM
in the 1990's i did some trading with a guy named Bob terry, whom had the RAH 18th show in SBD,i still kick myself in the ass, for not wanting it, when he offered it to me! he has lotza unheard audio that he bought from a Sotheby's auction in NY, like a live jam with the Buddy Miles Express at (if my memory serves me right), Fillmore West? as well as un-heard versions of valley's of Neptune(rare lyrics), and a truck load of "i'm a man"(mannish boy) rehersals, and unheard Cry of Love material
Why would he keep all that to himself and not share it?

Dolly Dagger
03-04-11, 07:07 AM

More leverage in trading.

Olompali
03-04-11, 07:49 AM

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/9038/the-jimi-hendrix-re-experience

purple jim
03-04-11, 04:20 PM
Maybe some British members here saw the excellent documentary "The Secret Life Of Bob Monkhouse" on BBC TV. The famous TV presenter and comedian was an obsessive collector of radio and TV shows, films, scripts, comics, tins you name it). He had hundreds of 60s and 70s TV shows in his archive so I sent an email to the company which now manages the archives, to ask if they had any Hendrix in there. Unfortunately there is nothing. :(

Fenders Fingers
03-05-11, 01:21 AM
Maybe some British members here saw the excellent documentary "The Secret Life Of Bob Monkhouse" on BBC TV. The famous TV presenter and comedian was an obsessive collector of radio and TV shows, films, scripts, comics, tins you name it). He had hundreds of 60s and 70s TV shows in his archive so I sent an email to the company which now manages the archives, to ask if they had any Hendrix in there. Unfortunately there is nothing. :(

James, send me the contact details via PM. I'm away for awhile but I'll pick up on this when I'm home. I can target a series of shows he most likely has in the collection and does indeed have Hendrix content. I'm guessing here but did you ask in a general manner for Hendrix?

purple jim
03-05-11, 01:45 AM
^I specifically mentioned "Good Evening With Jonathan King", "It Must Be Dusty", "Late Night Line Up", "Ready Steady Go" and "Top Of The Pops". If these were in Bob's collection, they would be tapes that he recuperated from the the TV stations as home taping didn't exist until the 70s of course. Bob did buy the very fist domestic video recorder (a Sony) which cost more than a car in those early days. Contact details by PM.

Fenders Fingers
03-05-11, 04:18 AM
Thanks again Jim. None of the above would have been sought by Bob as his archive base lay elsewhere.
Worth a shot though and I'll follow this up soon.

Vibratory
03-06-11, 08:09 AM
............ post deleted................

danksquad
03-07-11, 06:17 PM
I would hope that someday, the long lost ABC-TV footage from May 1968 sees the light of day.
It appears that some of it may have been used in the "Making Of Electric Ladyland" documentary, so it may be in the EH vaults.

http://www.rockprophecy.com/abcmiami.html

This is an interesting article regarding the lost ABC-TV footage and I would love to see those clips from the Record Plant & Fillmore East.
The article mentions the possibility that these were stolen out of the library by a former employee.
If so, it would stand to reason that these films could still be out there somewhere...

Chris M
03-07-11, 09:37 PM
I'd love to be wrong but I'm almost positive none of ABC-TV footage has surfaced other than the bits seen in the report on Jimi's passing. Is there any compelling evidence the ABC-TV special even aired? I'm not aware of any. If it didn't air then it is likely ABC junked it which was standard operating procedure at the time.

kdion11
03-08-11, 01:18 PM

OCD ? (obsessive compulsive disorder) Hahahahahahahaha

zombywoof57
03-13-11, 01:04 PM
Bob Terry also told me that he was given some reels to hold and kinda hide for, Alan Douglas, and the reason he will hold thing's w/o giving them up is he paid alot of money for things, and he can get money in times of hardship...the guy who owns the Saville show with "summer time blues" wants to be the only one with the complete show/or sell for alot of money

purple jim
03-13-11, 01:57 PM
...the guy who owns the Saville show with "summer time blues" wants to be the only one with the complete show/or sell for alot of money

The complete show would make a great little Dagger.

Fenders Fingers
03-23-11, 02:26 PM
What isn't floating round is the Dee Time BBC TV footage. The JHE appeared on the first show of this series in 1967. A copy of that show has thus far failed to show up, sadly.

I followed PJ's fine detective work and contacted a nice man who takes care of Bob Monkhouse's archive. I did target this broadcast as I thought if Bob had any of the 60's shows that Jimi did appear on in his extensive archive then this would be the one.

Another negative but at least Chris was most kind in a timely reply, not always the case for enquiries.

stplsd
03-23-11, 03:45 PM
The complete show would make a great little Dagger.

It's so rough no one would dream of releasing it commercially in any form apart from a bootleg. The only thing it's got going for it is he played Summertime Blues - big deal. The guy's a delusional wanker. He'll probably end up peggin' it and it'll wind up in land fill, it's not as if it's some great lost treasure anyway - what a twat

kdion11
03-23-11, 04:28 PM
It's so rough no one would dream of releasing it commercially in any form apart from a bootleg. The only thing it's got going for it is he played Summertime Blues - big deal. The guy's a delusional wanker. He'll probably end up peggin' it and it'll wind up in land fill, it's not as if it's some great lost treasure anyway - what a twat

KD: Hilarious ! I can't say I disagree - I know of at least a few people / companies who've discussed this
tape with the guy who taped it. He won't discuss it, let alone release it regardless of what anyone offers him for it.
Must be a real case of OCD here............

johanincr
03-23-11, 05:18 PM
That Saville tape is long long gone, his dog chewed it to bits.

Dont believe it? Prove me wrong :)

Herman Cherusken
03-14-12, 12:51 PM
That Saville tape is long long gone, his dog chewed it to bits.

Dont believe it? Prove me wrong :)

Ha, he didnt have a dog...

ranasakawa
03-14-12, 04:29 PM
It must be getting close to a new release of ( hopefully unreleased Jimi ). I am sensing the guys here at ctt are getting impatient ( me included ). What do you think may come out next ?
I am hoping for some more unreleased studio stuff including the Miami show. My big want is a decent version of the song ' crash landing ' untouched by AD. I love that track.

We have discussed many times what may still be out there unreleased, I am always optimistic that there is some studio stuff that we have not heard or knew existed. The Electric Ladyland album has not been well represented on any box sets and there is many out takes from thoses late 1967-1968 sessions.

One can only hope.

As a second though, I am wondering if there is a version of burning desire with vocals that was professionally recorded in a multi track studio? The has been at least 2 versions without vocals that are stunning.

Sharpstat
03-14-12, 07:38 PM
It must be getting close to a new release of ( hopefully unreleased Jimi ). I am sensing the guys here at ctt are getting impatient ( me included ). What do you think may come out next ?
I am hoping for some more unreleased studio stuff including the Miami show. My big want is a decent version of the song ' crash landing ' untouched by AD. I love that track.

We have discussed many times what may still be out there unreleased, I am always optimistic that there is some studio stuff that we have not heard or knew existed. The Electric Ladyland album has not been well represented on any box sets and there is many out takes from thoses late 1967-1968 sessions.

One can only hope.

As a second though, I am wondering if there is a version of burning desire with vocals that was professionally recorded in a multi track studio? The has been at least 2 versions without vocals that are stunning.

I've always enjoyed the bootleg version of Crash Landing with the engineer's vocal intro as to where the instuments and vocals are being placed! ;)

smokinchains
03-15-12, 03:29 PM
I've always enjoyed the bootleg version of Crash Landing with the engineer's vocal intro as to where the instuments and vocals are being placed! ;)

I was curious why Crash Landing wasn't on Valleys of Neptune. Seems to fit the time period written in the liner notes and a sort of "bridge" between Jimi's Experience Rock and the more funky-soul-rock stuff he wrote with Billy Cox. Perhaps the masters don't exist anymore.

ranasakawa
03-18-12, 01:33 AM
I was curious why Crash Landing wasn't on Valleys of Neptune. Seems to fit the time period written in the liner notes and a sort of "bridge" between Jimi's Experience Rock and the more funky-soul-rock stuff he wrote with Billy Cox. Perhaps the masters don't exist anymore.

Very good observation, would have given the album a much better flow, removing the Butchered 1967 recording of Mr Bad Luck.

AstroVoodoo
06-06-12, 01:46 AM
Speaking by telephone from London early one recent morning, Douglas explained why, of the roughly 550 concerts Hendrix performed during his career--120 of which were recorded (including a Sept. 3, 1968, date at now-dismantled Balboa Stadium and a second arena gig on July 25, 1970)--the 1969 San Diego show was selected to exemplify "stage three."

There could possibly be multiple unreleased soundboard concerts!

article here(Its really mainly about stages and the san diego gig) :http://articles.latimes.com/1991-10-09/entertainment/ca-37_1_jimi-hendrix-concerts

karsten
06-06-12, 02:29 AM
I think it's noticable that Jimi ask at IOW "There's a microphone in front of the speakers. Are they recording?".
If that was the rule, there were lots of concerts in especially May 1970 that had microphones in front of the amps.

Though, I think if there was a vault of soundboard tapes, it would have resulted in more Dagger releases, and less motivation for EH to obtain audience recordings.
The vault listings that Kees has posted so far did not reveal such tapes either.

BURTCOBAIN
06-28-12, 06:20 PM
I remember long ago that Paul Mc Cartney hinted in an interview that he had in his archive private footage of Jimi, may of been around the time of Linda's death etc . .and of course it may hold some water e.g the well know connection that they both had with him from 1967 onwards . .

Roland Stone
06-28-12, 07:26 PM
Perhaps we should add the Gerry Stickells bagpipes session to this list? Jimi himself confirms that it was recorded and that, in his opinion, it came out quite well. So where is it?

Experiencereunited
06-29-12, 09:45 PM
Speaking by telephone from London early one recent morning, Douglas explained why, of the roughly 550 concerts Hendrix performed during his career--120 of which were recorded (including a Sept. 3, 1968, date at now-dismantled Balboa Stadium and a second arena gig on July 25, 1970)--the 1969 San Diego show was selected to exemplify "stage three."

I really want to believe this and the idea of another unheard 1970 show in the vault is completely mouthwatering but don't you think if EH truly had these we would have at least seen a setlist in their encyclopedia? Another thought is maybe Douglas never turned these 2 shows over to them along with some other items such as the rest of the Berkeley footage.

jaywho
07-07-12, 04:09 AM
I can't remember if I posted this before or not, so apologies if I'm repeating myself. Several years ago, I was in contact with a guy who claimed to be a roadie for Jimi Hendrix in the late 60's, I believe. He claimed to have "inherited" a bunch of items when Jimi died. A few of those items were audio and film footage. He told me that both Newport shows were both professionally recorded and professtionally filmed in their entirety. He offered me a copy of the pro shot footage from both shows. Unfortunately, we ended up having an argument when I(perhaps stupidly) corrected the date of a show we talked about. He freaked out and cut off all contact with me. This was about 15 years ago.

breathe
07-09-12, 12:21 AM
Do you mind if I ask where the photos of the occasion are? The link is now dead. Darn.

breathe
07-09-12, 09:48 AM
I love the material from 1970. I wish I could see or hear it all. If I had material that was rare, I would share it. In fact, I have. I recorded two Dylan shows and sent them out to people. Sharing is the only and best way to go. It gives the material the best chance of survival for future generations to also enjoy. If your copy is lost, you can still get it from someone else. I knew a few people who were hoarding or keeping rare material away from other before. They just do it for a power trip to dangle in front of your face. They'll keep talking to you, but won't let you hear what they brag about. It seems to make them feel better about themselves. Those people get on my nerves. By not sharing, you are only increasing the possibility that the material will not survive into the future. Hendrix is going to be studied for centuries to come, if the world still exists as we know it in centuries to come. Some material is going to be lost forever because of the selfishness of the few.

carlygtr56
07-09-12, 10:23 AM
If A Douglas is sitting on material, what can he do with it? Why not sell it back to the estate? What would be the benifit of hanging on the it?

MourningStar
07-09-12, 10:51 AM
... What would be the benifit of hanging on the it?waitin' for a 'rainy day'?

jeffhmason
07-09-12, 12:14 PM
If A Douglas is sitting on material, what can he do with it? Why not sell it back to the estate? What would be the benifit of hanging on the it?

Greed? Spite? It could just be a case of not knowing where things are. Don't forget that a lot of the songs released on Valleys Of Neptune came from a stash of tapes left in a warehouse around the time Crash Landing was made. Apparently Douglas just neglected to pay the storage bill and the "locker" owner held on to the tapes as collateral. He was apparently able to reach a deal with EH. Also, as the Mike Jeffery logs (torrented here) indicate, he had a lot of outtake film from Berkeley that seems to be missing now (as far as we know). Douglas may never have had this film in his possession to begin with.

danksquad
07-09-12, 01:16 PM
It really breaks my heart to think about all of the material that has been mishandled, lost, stolen, damaged, and destroyed over the last 40 years.
These are precious documents of one of the greatest musical geniuses of the 20th Century. It's a shame that the owners of this material have not treated it with the great care and respect that it deserves!!!

This is why it's so important for us to make sure Jimi's recorded legacy is left intact with the greatest care possible. In addition to being lovers of Jimi's music, we are also detectives, historians, and archeologists striving to complete the puzzle. It's too bad there are so many missing pieces.

Ezy Rider
07-09-12, 10:01 PM
I can't remember if I posted this before or not, so apologies if I'm repeating myself. Several years ago, I was in contact with a guy who claimed to be a roadie for Jimi Hendrix in the late 60's, I believe. He claimed to have "inherited" a bunch of items when Jimi died. A few of those items were audio and film footage. He told me that both Newport shows were both professionally recorded and professtionally filmed in their entirety. He offered me a copy of the pro shot footage from both shows. Unfortunately, we ended up having an argument when I(perhaps stupidly) corrected the date of a show we talked about. He freaked out and cut off all contact with me. This was about 15 years ago.

a name and an indication of adddress should be enough to trace the guy. if he is talking the truth that is (or if EH has not already laid its greedy greasy hands on it).

would love to see the footage of Hendrix and the female singer doing their act though . . .

Mark7
07-09-12, 10:04 PM

article here(Its really mainly about stages and the san diego gig) :http://articles.latimes.com/1991-10-09/entertainment/ca-37_1_jimi-hendrix-concerts

Seems like a load of crap, would be some evidence of this by now if they had been recorded. BTW while that was nice of the chap to film a bit of 8mm from San Diego 1970, he shoulda brought a tape recorder!!!

breathe
07-09-12, 10:13 PM
I wonder why it is that some of these people with a screw loose get possession of such musical treasures. It's just not fair and not right. This guy must have ended up trading with someone?