PDA

View Full Version : Brian Auger

purple jim
12-25-09, 06:10 PM
Hey everyone, I will have the opportunity to talk to Brian Auger on the phone tomorrow night ! He has agreed to let me question him about the September 66 jam (s) and the subsequent mini French tour! I am putting together my list of question so let me know what you would like me to ask him also.

firstrays
12-26-09, 04:35 AM
purple jim,
on your list I'm sure - does brian have any photo's of the Jam (or Jimi in general)?
thanks in advance.
mick

purple jim
12-26-09, 04:39 AM
Yeah, don't worry, I'll be asking for photos, (a tape ??!!), what they played, their reactions, Halliday, the works.

backfromthestorm
12-26-09, 06:03 AM
How cool... I had pics of that oct 66` paris olympia gig with Jimi, Driscoll, Hallyday etc.. looked like an end of show jam or something..

Could ask him if he can remember what they were jammin to when they all shared the stage that evening (long shot), and was it a regular thing for the nights acts to finish the evening with a jam on that tour?
(or in general). Thanks.

Oh the pics I`m on about are here - http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?p=22525#post22525

stplsd
12-27-09, 07:37 AM
^
I'll 2nd that request (1966 show though;-)

Can he remember any of the songs played by JHE in the other four? cinema dates on the 1966 French "tour", audience reaction, accomodation

Any info about the 66 pre-experience London club jam with Jimi would be great.

stplsd
12-27-09, 08:04 AM
What were the other musicians reaction to the JHE, did they have "tour" roadies, or did Jimi & co set up their own gear? What's the story about having to spend the night in the coach as it had broken down? Any photos/ film/ tape from the other cinema dates?

purple jim
12-27-09, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I now have a few pages of questions ready to ask him.
I'll put up a transcript as soon as possible after the interview.

purple jim
12-31-09, 09:38 AM
I interviewed Brian early in the week and it went very well. What a nice chap he is.
I'm busy making it all presentable but already I can tell you few interesting details.
- The Trinity did NOT accompany Halliday for the three dates leading up to l'Olympia.
- Concerning the London club jams, Brian can only remember that they played "Hey Joe" as an instrumental and some other standard blues themes. No singing from Jimi.
- Brian was a very good friend Johnny Halliday (they had already recorded together) and he has no memory whatsoever that Johnny visited one of the London club jams.

I will be talking to him again next Monday to clear up the latter and other details.

Herman Cherusken
12-31-09, 10:20 AM
Thumbs up pj...

stplsd
12-31-09, 10:21 AM
Looking forward to it. Any info on the rumour that Jimi features on Halliday's Hey Joe?

purple jim
12-31-09, 01:49 PM
I did ask him, seeing as he had done sessions with Halliday in 1966, but he knew nothing about it. It is more than a rumour. it was an outtake that cropped up on a CD that was included in a luxury book about Johnny. The old 60s single didn't feature the take with Jimi.

stplsd
12-31-09, 03:14 PM
I did ask him, seeing as he had done sessions with Halliday in 1966, but he knew nothing about it. It is more than a rumour. it was an outtake that cropped up on a CD that was included in a luxury book about Johnny. The old 60s single didn't feature the take with Jimi.

Thanks for that info, but I'm sure it's still doubtful that Hendrix is actually on this out-take?

purple jim
01-01-10, 03:43 AM
Happy New Year First of all to everyone at Crosstown!

Thanks for that info, but I'm sure it's still doubtful that Hendrix is actually on this out-take?

When I heard about the outtake, I was very sceptical, I thought, oh yeah, Johnny Hallyday wants to build up his image by saying that Hendrix played on one of his sessions. French artists do often have a hang-up about their lack of importance on the international scene and always heavily underline the fact that they sell well abroad for example (well, to French speaking countries of course and Russia for some artists curiously). Johnny always liked to say that Jimmy Page and Mickey Jones of Foreigner played on his albums.
So, I listened to the outtake. The intro certainly doesn't sound like Jimi but once the rhythm kicks in, for me it is unmistakably him. Just the little rhytmic chops, that's Jimi, his signature is all over it. You can compare it to his rhythmic playing on that acoustic "Hound Dog" (Gold & Goldstein 1969 footage), it's identical. Nobody was playing funky chops like that in November 1966 but Jimi.
Now look at the possibility. Jimi befriended Halliday while on tour with him (for 4 dates) in October 66. Immediately after the tour, Halliday goes to London to record a new album (he had already been there the previous summer in the company of Brian Auger, Vic Briggs and Mickey Jones to record the album "La Génération Perdu").
At this session he decided to record a song that he had discovered a month earlier, thanks to Jimi (!), "Hey Joe". Jimi, discovering that Johnny is in town (or invited to pop down) visits the session to say hello to his new friend(s). Jimi would value this sort of contact, having only been in Europe for two months and hell, Johnny was recording "Hey Joe" at about the same time that Jimi recorded his version!
So, you can imagine Jimi pops in and is asked if he'd like to join in. He hasn't brought an electric guitar so he strums along on a borrowed acoustic. The take is left aside (or Jimi is mixed out), to avoid contractual hassles and because Jimi was still unknown (his presence was no big deal at the time, he was just a mate dropping by to say hello).
There is a scan of the page in the book "Johnny: le livre" (in which the rarities CD was packaged) here:
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/hendrix.guide/halliday.htm

See the foot of this page also:
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/hendrix.guide/guest.htm

thefrenchowl
01-01-10, 05:58 AM
Purple Jim: Johnny always liked to say that Jimmy Page...

Well, I'm pretty sure Jimi never played in studio with Johnny, but Jimmy Page did.

There's the song called "A tout casser" (loosely translated as "Whatever I do, I'll do it at breakneck speed") where one might well think for a moment that Jimi played on, it's a near full reprise of the Purple Haze chord sequence and I'm pretty sure that's a Jimmy Page with attitude and plenty of whammy bar on that one, during his session days just prior to Led Zep... It's nice, but just a tad too square and monotonous to be our Jimi...

My sister was a Johnny's fan and had all his records, I can't remember any one of them listing the musicians, either by words of photos... One would have thought it would have been mentionned at the time if Jimi was in there somewhere!!!

As I mentionned on another forum, there's a Johnny album sleeve that shows Jimi in a little cartouche, but can I find it? No...

Patrick

purple jim
01-01-10, 06:47 AM
Well, I'm pretty sure Jimi never played in studio with Johnny…My sister was a Johnny's fan and had all his records, I can't remember any one of them listing the musicians, either by words of photos... One would have thought it would have been mentionned at the time if Jimi was in there somewhere!!!

No, you've not read correctly Patrick, Jimi is only supposed to be on an out-take that appeared in the 90s in that book! He is not on any of the Halliday records at all.

backfromthestorm
01-01-10, 07:45 AM
Purple Jim -

Do you know where I can find that Hey Joe outtake with Jimi? I cant find it anywhere in torrent land, or youtube... where did you hear it?

Thanks. Happy new year!

johanincr
01-01-10, 08:03 AM
track 2 from http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?p=14152

purple jim
01-01-10, 08:49 AM
I sent you a MP with a link to the one song backfromthestorm. We're drifting away from Auger here. How about continuing the subject of Hallyday as a new subject?

purple jim
01-02-10, 02:29 PM
I came across this French site which lists all the 1966 Johnny Halliday sessions with Brian Auger and Jimi at Olympic Studios. I am trying to contact Giorgio Gomelsky for confirmation (he produced the sessions, managed The Trinity and was the stage director for the Olympia 66 shows and the French tour prior to that !).

Hey Joe (n° 437.304 )
Musiciens :
The Blackburds
Guitare acoustique : Jimi Hendrix.
Ingénieur du son : Giorgio Gomelsky.

Source: http://www.hallyday.com.fr/Son/Sessions/ses66.html

thefrenchowl
01-02-10, 06:18 PM
http://www.hallyday.com.fr/Son/Sessions/ses67.html

Studio Blanqui, Studio La Gaïte (Paris)
Olympic Sound Studio,
Chappell Recording Studio (Londres)
les 13, 19, 25 au 28 septembre 1967

Psychedelic* (n° 460.522)
Fleurs d'amour et d'amitié (n° 460.523)
A tout casser** (n° 437.438)
Sau Francisco (n° 460 540)
Mon fils (n° 460.541)

*base orchestre Londres
**bande originale du film A tout casser

Musiciens : the Blackburds.
Guitare solo : Micky Jones.
Basse : Gérard "Papillon" Fournier.
Batterie : Tommy Brown.
Claviers, harmonica : Raymond Donnez.
Saxophone : Jean Tosan.
Trompettes : Gérard Pisani, Pierre Ploquin, Jacques Ploquin, Gilles Pellegrini. Trombone : Luis Fuentes.
Percussions : Sam Kelly.
Guitare solo : Jimmy Page sur Psychedelic et A tout casser

Ingénieur du son : Keith Grant.
Réalisations : Lee Hallyday, Micky Jones, Tommy Brown

Patrick

purple jim
01-03-10, 04:56 AM
If you listen to "A tout Casser" you can hear Jimmy Page practically playing the riff to "Whole Lotta Love" (well before "Led Zep II").

purple jim
01-05-10, 12:06 PM
"A Tout Casser" - 1968 (listen to Pagey's five note riff behind Hallyday's voice).
http://www.deezer.com/listen-922620

Here's Hallyday live in 1966 to give an idea of what those shows were like:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x548yw_johnny-hallyday-si-jetais-un-charpe_music

(Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not a Johnny Hallyday fan, far from it!!)

purple jim
01-07-10, 01:33 AM
In the interesting article from the 1997 edition of Juke Box Magazine, there are some more clues to the Blaises Club mystery. We learn that at Blaises, Johnny was with his friends Long Chris and Mickey Jones and the latter is quoted as saying that it was Brian Auger who was playing. It is bizarre that Brian Auger has no memory of seeing all these people in such a tiny club. He knew Johnny, Mickey and manager Lee hallyday (who was also there) very well, having made an album with them the previous summer ! They were also there with Otis Redding that night!

Two theories:
- Hallyday and company arrived at the back of the club while Brian was already on stage at the packed club and didn't get the chance to say hello to their friend.
or
- At Blaises they saw Jimi with somebody else (Alexis Korner?).

The article is on Ayler"s forum:
http://hendrix.aceboard.fr/264448-2568-8286-0-Jimi-Hendrix-France-Juke-Magazine-N%B0121.htm

purple jim
01-18-10, 02:28 AM
A link to the interview is now up in the "Jimi Hendrix and other interviews" section.