PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the right book

canaQ
12-26-09, 08:06 AM
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a book about Jimi's studio recordings. I want it to list the songs (alphabetical and/or chronological), and it would be cool if there's some info about (some) songs too.
Now, I did some googling myself, and I found a couple of books that might be the one I'm looking for.

- Jimi Hendrix, Experience the Music
- From The Benjamin Franklin Studios 3rd Edition Part 1/2/3
- The Studio Log

I read the descriptions of the books, but I'm not sure what the big differences are between the books. Could anybody give me a little help with it? :)

peace!

Ayler
12-26-09, 02:22 PM
Do you know that link?
http://home.earthlink.net/~ldouglasbell/jimi.htm

canaQ
12-26-09, 03:38 PM
Do you know that link?
http://home.earthlink.net/~ldouglasbell/jimi.htm

Yeah, I know that site, but I really would love to have a book, so I can carry it around ;) Also, it would be cool to have some more info about the songs (which instruments/objects are used, what the song is about, who played along, etc.).
Anyway, thanks for the reply ;)

stplsd
12-26-09, 04:37 PM
Ultimate has nearly all the studio songs (update of the info contained in Studio Log) and gives quite a lot of background to many of the studio sessions, aside from this it merely lists the live songs played at most of the concerts with not too much detail, it's chronological, not alphabetical. This would seem to suit your purpose best. It would have been better without the live stuff, but it's still reasonably compact.
Studio Log is very good, very compact, but aside from studio, engineers, musicians, instruments, dates, doesn't give much extra background info, it's also chronological not alphabetic
Benjamin Franklin Studios 3rd Edition Part 1, is alphabetical, but has all the live songs as well, and other info so is very bulky. doesn't give much extra background info, apart from studio, engineers, musicians, instruments.

Non of these offer much if any interpretation to lyrics/music though.

canaQ
12-26-09, 05:07 PM
Ultimate has nearly all the studio songs (update of the info contained in Studio Log) and gives quite a lot of background to many of the studio sessions, aside from this it merely lists the live songs played at most of the concerts with not too much detail, it's chronological, not alphabetical. This would seem to suit your purpose best. It would have been better without the live stuff, but it's still reasonably compact.
Studio Log is very good, very compact, but aside from studio, engineers, musicians, instruments, dates, doesn't give much extra background info, it's also chronological not alphabetic
Benjamin Franklin Studios 3rd Edition Part 1, is alphabetical, but has all the live songs as well, and other info so is very bulky. doesn't give much extra background info, apart from studio, engineers, musicians, instruments.

Non of these offer much if any interpretation to lyrics/music though.

Alright, thanks for your reply, very helpful. So if I'm correct, Ultimate and Studio Log are basically the same, but Ultimate provides more info?
And Ultimate does list (all?) the live songs and concerts?

stplsd
12-27-09, 07:34 AM
Alright, thanks for your reply, very helpful. So if I'm correct, Ultimate and Studio Log are basically the same, but Ultimate provides more info?

Studio log is basically a condensed form of the info and has more on the pre-experience stuff, some extra studio jams, missing tapes etc.

And Ultimate does list (all?) the live songs and concerts?

as I said earlier "most of", there are quite a few ommisions see: http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?t=1910&highlight=ultimate

canaQ
12-27-09, 12:23 PM
Alright, thanks for all the info! I just ordered the Experience the Music book, it was only about $20 ;)

Thanks again, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the book ;)

peace!

thunderbaas
12-27-09, 01:13 PM
Hey Canaq
I presume you ordered the "Ultimate Hendrix" book by John McDermot,this sure is a great chronologicall survey of his studio material,in fact this is the older issue "Sessions" but now they added his live performances with set lists as well.When you add the excellent updates STPLSD made (he mentioned the thread in his reply) I'd say you are quite complete. A good listen with the book is a.o. "James Marshall The Single Collection" for the pre experience years,"Moonbeams & Fairytales" for 1966 & 1967. And of course the IsItLegal series "Out of the Studio" 1966/1967/1969/1970,these last ones can be found here on CTT. If you don't have "The single Collection" or the "Moonbeams & Fairytales" Box set yet,just let me know in a private message,then I'll see what I can do for you.

All the Best,
Thunderbaas.

Voodoo Kush
12-27-09, 04:31 PM
I just got the Ultimate Experience and it has great detail for everything listed. My only beef is that the Black Gold recordings aren't listed and it's missing the Ronnie Scott performance.... but is overall accurate and worth the purchase! Just remember that he wrote the book from the studio tapes! Meaning he listened and summarized each session - doesn't get much better than that.

canaQ
12-27-09, 08:38 PM
Hey Canaq
I presume you ordered the "Ultimate Hendrix" book by John McDermot,this sure is a great chronologicall survey of his studio material,in fact this is the older issue "Sessions" but now they added his live performances with set lists as well.When you add the excellent updates STPLSD made (he mentioned the thread in his reply) I'd say you are quite complete. A good listen with the book is a.o. "James Marshall The Single Collection" for the pre experience years,"Moonbeams & Fairytales" for 1966 & 1967. And of course the IsItLegal series "Out of the Studio" 1966/1967/1969/1970,these last ones can be found here on CTT. If you don't have "The single Collection" or the "Moonbeams & Fairytales" Box set yet,just let me know in a private message,then I'll see what I can do for you.

All the Best,
Thunderbaas.

Alright, good to know it's worth the $20 ;) And yes, I've got the Moonbeams & Fairytales box, it's a great listen! :D

peace!

stplsd
12-27-09, 09:35 PM
^
Do you have details of: Jimi Hendrix, Experience The Music? I don't see this book listed anywhere

canaQ
12-28-09, 04:50 AM
^
Do you have details of: Jimi Hendrix, Experience The Music? I don't see this book listed anywhere

Yeah, sure!

http://static.bol.com/imgbase0/BOOKCOVER/FC/1/8/9/6/5/1896522459.gif
Title: Jimi Hendrix, Experience the Music
Author: Belmo Loveless & Steve Loveless
<DT hasbox="2">ISBN10: 1896522459</DT><DT hasbox="2">ISBN13: 9781896522456</DT>

peace!