PDA

View Full Version : Hendrix songs covered by other

thunderbaas
12-29-09, 06:29 PM
Hi there CTTers,recently made a compilation of Hendrix Songs covered by some of my favorit other Artists,though there are several Hendrix Tribute Albums,and great guitar players like Steve Ray Vaughan & Poppa Chubby who covered Jimi quite a lot.I just wanted to make a kind of Tribute Album that somehow had a different angle on some of his songs.
My Compilation consists of the following tracks :

1.Who Knows--by Mike Stern (From his Album "Give & Take")

2.Born under a Bad Sign--by Paul Rodgers & Neil Schon on Guitar (From the Album "Muddy Water Blues" a Muddy Waters Tribute album by Paul Rodgers & lots of other well known musicians)

3.Manic Depression--by Michael Lee Firkins (From his Album "Decomposition)

4.The Boy from Seatle--by Steve Vai(In fact this is not a Hendrix song,but a brilliant Steve Vai composition in which he plays Hendrix style,From his Album "Alien Love Secrets'')

5.Well,I have--by Steve Morse(also not an excisting Hendrix song,but a Steve Morse composition in Hendrix Style(incl. backward guitar)From his Album "Major Impacts 1")

6.Little Wing/Third Stone--by Steve Ray Vaughan(An awsum SRV intrepetation of Little Wing which evolves into Third Stone from the Sun,From Steve's Ray's concert at the Lorelei (last song of the concert),which torrent can be found on a.o. Pirate Bay)

7.Purple Haze--by Bootsy Collins & Buddy Miles (From the excellent Tribute Album "Purple Haze" which combines such greats as a.o. Carlos Santana,Steve Lukather,Brian May,Steve Vai with the London Symphonic Orchestra.(An Idea Jimi would have liked probably verry much))

8.Foxey Lady--by ZZ Top(from a bootleg recording from ZZ Top's 2009 concert in Brussel (Belgium) found on the Traders Den,another version also can be found on the official "ZZ Top Live in Texas" DVD,but I love the raw guitar solo of "Brussel" more.

9.All along the WatchTower--by Frank Marino & Mahogony Rush(From The Album "Tales of the Unexpected")

10.In From the Storm--by Corey Glover & Billy Cox(From the before mentioned Tribute Album "Purple Haze")

Of course I can not upload this here on CTT due to the official material they contain,but if someone has a sugestion I could upload it somewhere else of course.I remixed the SRV song (it was mono & taken from Video) & the ZZ Top song (a mediocre sounding audience tape) and those remixes turned out quite well.Even made some artwork for a sleeve.

My question however is,which other Hendrix covers do you CTTers know of??? I'm specially interested in the more unorthodox covers and not for instance the nummerous "Hey Joe" covers that excist.(I've been playing a lot of sessions in my Home Town,which usually ended with 15 minute versions of "Hey Joe" ,so I developped a certain allergy for this one)

Well I'm verry curious for your sugestions
All the best,
Thunderbaas.

hawkfan369
12-29-09, 07:57 PM
Hey Baby done by Soundgarden on a b-side bootleg.

let me know if you want a lossless version.

dino77
12-30-09, 05:19 AM
Hey Baby done by Soundgarden on a b-side bootleg.

let me know if you want a lossless version.

That version is actually by M.A.C.C. - Mike McCready and Jeff Ament from Pearl Jam and Chris Cornell and Matt Cameron from Soundgarden, from the 90's Stone Free tribute.

The Earth Blues
12-30-09, 06:21 AM
Foxy Lady by Eric Gales
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuUIUjz4sCs

thunderbaas
12-30-09, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Hawkfan,Dino & Earth Blues.Really like this "Hey Baby" version,a losless version would be nice,if it ain't too much trouble.
Read about Eric Gales as being a great guitar player,indeed his Foxey Lady rocks.
Also thought the "Are you experienced" by Belly was quite funny.
Still any other suggestions are verry welcome.

All the best,
Thunderbaas.

cleanuponaisle76
12-30-09, 03:49 PM
I'm specially interested in the more unorthodox covers

The Pretenders - Room Full Of Mirrors
RHCP - Little Miss Lover

Papi
12-30-09, 05:42 PM
For starters few "not so orthodox versions" :homer1:

Purple Haze by Frank Zappa from "The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life"

Gil Evans Orchestra:

"Gil Evans' Orchestra Plays the Music of Jimi Hendrix":
Angel; Crosstown Traffic/ Little Miss Lover; Castles Made of Sand/Foxey Lady; Up From the Skies; Up From The Skies; 1983 - A Merman I Should Turn to Be; Voodoo Child (Slight Return); Gypsy Eyes

"At the Royal Festival Hall":
Angel; Stone Free

"The British Orchestra":
Little Wing

Are You Experienced? by Patti Smith from "Twelve"

Angel, Stepping Stone, Wind Cries Mary, Can You See Me, Manic Depression and May This Be Love by Avanti Chamber Orchestra with Veeti Kallio, Anna Kuoppamäki, Hannu Leiden and Maria Hänninen from "Rockover" (this might be very difficult to find)

manfree
12-30-09, 08:39 PM
This has got me really curious, any chance you could share this? The Demon might be a good place to start,or maybe The P Bay? Thanks for Info. anyway, sounds more interesting than Jimi`s tribute albums.

purple jim
12-31-09, 05:33 AM
I made myself a compilation of cover versions a few months ago. I tried to collect things which were "listenable" without making me cringe too much.

Purple Haze - The Cure
You Got Me Floatin' - PM Dawn
Power Of Soul - Bootsy Collins
Who Knows - Devoted Spirits
Purple House (live) - Prince
Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - Earth Wind & Fire
Third Stone From The Sun - Pat Matheny
Castles Made OF Sand - Sounds Of Blackness
(Have You Ever Been To) Electric Ladyland - Lenny Kravitz
Red House - Buddy Guy
Spanish Castle Magic - Spin Doctors
Manic Depression - Jeff Beck & Seal
Little Wing/Third Stone (live) - Stevie Ray Vaughan
Red House - John Lee Hooker, Randy California, etc.

There are three pages of research about the cover versions on my site here:
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/hendrix.guide/tributes.htm

thunderbaas
12-31-09, 04:09 PM
Thanks a lot guys,there's a whole lot to investigate here.

Papi,I know the Gil Evans album & Zappa's "Purple Haze",which is quite unorthodox indeed(Scuse me while I kiss this guy......!?!?) But who are those? :"Ät the Royal Festival Hall" & "The British Orchestra"

Manfree,I presume you mean with Demon,the former demonoid,but unfortunately I'm not a member of this site,and you only can become one by inviation.But another possibillity could be FTP which is a kind of direct transport protocol in which you can send & receive direct from computer to computer.I've used this allready with another CTT member,and it works great.Don't know if you use Firefox,but if you do,you need to download & install the following aplication : http://fireftp.mozdev.org/ Just let me know in a personal message if you do,so I can send these to you (have some other goodies too)

Purple Jim,didn't check your tribute section until now,but,as might been expected,it's just as thorough & well documentated as the rest of your site!!!! Do you know where I can find this 4 CD set "Mad about Hendrix",it looks quite interesting?
I also might have a tribute album you could ad to your tribute section,it's called "Reexperience" by a dutch guitarist called "Teko Molo" He's a friend with whom I've played a lot,and his album is quite interesting,several intrepetations of hendrix songs with a powertrio line up (He claims he even played with Mitch Mitchel a couple of years ago at the "Paradiso" in Amsterdam)So if you're interested just let me know,than I'll find a way to send you this (FTP maybe)

And about other suggestions,Keep 'm comming CTTers.

Thanks,
Thunderbaas.

Papi
01-02-10, 02:57 PM
Both "At the Royal Festival Hall" and "The British Orchestra" are live albums by Gil Evans.

Thanks a lot guys,there's a whole lot to investigate here.

Papi,I know the Gil Evans album & Zappa's "Purple Haze",which is quite unorthodox indeed(Scuse me while I kiss this guy......!?!?) But who are those? :"Ät the Royal Festival Hall" & "The British Orchestra"

Manfree,I presume you mean with Demon,the former demonoid,but unfortunately I'm not a member of this site,and you only can become one by inviation.But another possibillity could be FTP which is a kind of direct transport protocol in which you can send & receive direct from computer to computer.I've used this allready with another CTT member,and it works great.Don't know if you use Firefox,but if you do,you need to download & install the following aplication : http://fireftp.mozdev.org/ Just let me know in a personal message if you do,so I can send these to you (have some other goodies too)

Purple Jim,didn't check your tribute section until now,but,as might been expected,it's just as thorough & well documentated as the rest of your site!!!! Do you know where I can find this 4 CD set "Mad about Hendrix",it looks quite interesting?
I also might have a tribute album you could ad to your tribute section,it's called "Reexperience" by a dutch guitarist called "Teko Molo" He's a friend with whom I've played a lot,and his album is quite interesting,several intrepetations of hendrix songs with a powertrio line up (He claims he even played with Mitch Mitchel a couple of years ago at the "Paradiso" in Amsterdam)So if you're interested just let me know,than I'll find a way to send you this (FTP maybe)

And about other suggestions,Keep 'm comming CTTers.

Thanks,
Thunderbaas.

purple jim
01-02-10, 03:19 PM
Purple Jim,didn't check your tribute section until now,but,as might been expected,it's just as thorough & well documentated as the rest of your site!!!!
Muchas gracias amigo !

Do you know where I can find this 4 CD set "Mad about Hendrix",it looks quite interesting?
Contact the guy who put the project together, Kurt Max.
Hey, Ayler played some guitar on that album!

I also might have a tribute album you could ad to your tribute section,it's called "Reexperience" by a dutch guitarist called "Teko Molo"

Yes, I'd like to review that one. You can contact me by MP.

thunderbaas
01-02-10, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the info about "Gil Evans" Papi ,do you know where I could find these?

Thunderbaas.