PDA

View Full Version : "Jimi Hendrix and France" - Jukebox Magazine 1993

purple jim
01-15-10, 04:25 AM
http://www.noob.fr/upload/1332d_jbmjp.jpg (http://www.noob.fr)
http://www.noob.fr/upload/83fd8_jbm2j.jpg (http://www.noob.fr)
http://www.noob.fr/upload/8ed0e_jbm3j.jpg (http://www.noob.fr)
http://www.noob.fr/upload/b96aa_jbm4j.jpg (http://www.noob.fr)
http://www.noob.fr/upload/4020a_jbm5j.jpg (http://www.noob.fr)

A big thank you to Bernard Eyl for the scans of this interesting article from Juke Box Magazine (N°121 - October 1997).

Here is a translation of some key points for those who don't master French.

…From then on (after the release of "Hey Joe"), France cultivated a special and privileged relationship with the Hendrix phenomenan. Eddie Mitchell's producer Jean Fernandez, who worked on sessions at Pye Studios in London, was the first to act. He was in contact with Chas Chandler and his associate Mike Jeffrey, and jumped at the chance to represent The Jimi Hendrix Experience…

Hendrix's presence was variably appreciated by Johnny Halliday fans during the four shows in october 1966.

If the only songs preserved in the tape archives of Europe 1 were "Killing Floor", "Hey Joe" and "Wild Thing", during this (Olympia) show, The Experience certainly also performed the R&B standards "In The Midnight Hour", "Respect" and "Land Of A Thousand Danses".

In fact The Experience arrived at Bourget Airport on October 12 to participate in the mini Johnny Hallyday tour which passed through Evreux (Cinéma Novelty, 13 october), Nancy (Cinéma Rio, on the 14th), Reims (Salle des Fêtes, on the 15th) and Luxembourg (on the 16th). At Plessis-Robinson, near Paris, Johnny Halliday inaugurated Robinson Village, a leisure complex where, in the Tchoo Tchoo Club, Jimi Hendrix performed an impromptu jam. After the concert at l'Olympia on October 18, Johnny, Mickey Jones, Chas Chandler and Jimi spent the night together at the Whiskey-A-Go-Go, rue de Seine, which later became the Rock 'n' Roll Circus in 1969.
Mickey Jones (the guitarist with Hallyday's group The Blackburds and future leader of Foreigner) rmembers: "In London, it was when we went to to a club to hear Brian Auger & Julie Driscoll (who Georgio Gomelsky had presented to us) that we met Jimi Hendrix at the end of September 1966.
I don't remember if it was really Jimi who plays on the slightly different take of "Hey Joe" by Johnny Halliday, which appeared in 1993. However, it was he who showed me the chord structures to play "Hey Joe".
Back in Paris, I went to jam at the Bilboquet and I played "Hey Joe". Dave Gilmour, who was playing there with his group Flowers (two years before he joined Pink Floyd) was blown away. After that he had "Hey Joe", "Purple Haze" and "Stone Free" in the Flowers repertoire (they played at Club Radio London, Elizabethville on the 14th and 15th May 1967.

Talking about this epic week Johnny Halliday said: "Jimi Hendrix, dressed in white, finishing his show by smashing his guitar. The Experience were fantastic but the French public didn't really get it. It was too new, too out of the ordinary. At the Bilboquet, with Carlos, Hubert and Sam Bernett, Jimi was a sensation. The girls really liked him."
Hubert Wayaffe, the Europe 1 DJ, also rubbed shoulders with Jimi: "I was with Johnny Hallyday in London at the end of September 1966. We went to Blaises to meet Otis Redding. Johnny was looking for a new guitarist (for his Musicorama at l'Olympia on October 18, 1966) when Jimi Hendrix got up on stage to jam. We had such a shock and as Chas Chandler was there, Johnny offered to let Jimi Hendrix be one of the supporting artists, even though he was completely unknown. He hadn't yet made a record."
Long Chris, Johnny's best friend, who was also on that visit: "In the club, we discovered an unknown guitarist, Jimi Hendrix. For us, it was like a flash! It had been a long time since an artist made us jump out of our seats. This big black guy, a guitar wizard, a sort of Chuck Berry but harder. He swung his guitar in all directions, behind his head, and he plays it upside down. His big thing was to take a solo by picking it with his teeth! When he went into "Hey Joe", it made us shiver. Johnny jumped up saying "I've got to record that, it's brilliant!" Contact was made with Jimi and he was really nice. Johnny made friends with and offered him the support spot on his next tour."

Jean-LouisRancurel: "In October 1966 I was at l'Olympia for Johnny Hallyday's Musicorama and it was by chance that I took those photos without knowing who Jimi Hendrix was, to capture the mood of the jam with Long Chris. Later, I realised that I had taken some historic photos".

March 4, 1967
Jimi Hendrix, who had just arrived on March 3 at Bourget, spent the night at Saint-Germain-des-Prés before going back to his hotel on rue Caumartin. The next day, March 4, il went down to the Saint-Ouen flea market with Noel Redding, Mitch Mitchell, Long Chris and Alain Dister of Rock & Folk magazine, to find some fancy clothes. On a visit to Europe 1 radio station, he was interviewed for the show "Salut Les Copains" and they played him Johnny Hallyday's recording of "Hey Joe". In the evening took his stage show to a Paris suburb, to the Omni-Bus at Colombes. That night, The Experience played two shows in two different venues, as was usual in those days, and so, with The Pretty Things, Jimi Hendrix was also on the bill at the annual law students ball at the Faculté d'Assas, Paris. Jacques Barsamian was there: "…he'd just done a concert in the suburbs at Colombes, at the Omni-Bus…then the group played at Assas in front of a very different public compare to what he was used to, with guys in dinner jackets and girls in long dresses."

On the 5th of March, accompanied by Rock & Folk's Jean-Noel Coghe, The Experience left for Belgium to play the Twenty Club at Mouscron. The gig was in the afternoon followed by a second performance at the Twenty Club at Lens. On the 6th and 7th, the trio recorded "Hey Joe" and "Stone Free" for two TV shows in Brussels, the first for RTBF and the second for BRT, before coming back to Paris. Then on March 14, for the Dutch TV show "Fan Club", he improvised on "La Poupée Qui Fait Non" by Michel Polnareff. This instrumental rendition of "The Doll Who Says No" was recorded March 29 at London's Olympic Studios during the sessions for "Red House", with Jimi on bass and Noel Redding on guitar.

11 May 1967
The Experience played at Issy-les-Moulineaux for the Music Hall de France TV show. On the same bill was Dalida, The Spencer Davis Group, Noël Deschamps, Jacques Dutronc, Paul Jones (ex Manfred Mann) Kinetic, Stella & The Sharks.
The band were filmed by the ORTF cameras and an extract was aired on May 24 on Tilit Magazine presented by Michel Drucker. The Music Hall de France at Issy-les-Moulineaux was transmitted August 13 and the band were seen playing "Foxy Lady", "Hey Joe"; "Stone Free" and "Wild Thing".
A second maxi-single was then published in France (Barclay 071 157) featuring a photo taken at the Saint-Ouen flea market on March 4 where we see Jimi together with Long Chris (in place of Mitch Mitchell!) and Noel Redding.

August 29 and Jean Marcou visited the Nottingham Blues Festival at Sherwood Rooms where The Experience were headlining with other bands Listen (featuring Robert Plant), Jimmy James & The Vagabonds, Jimmy Cliff, Wynder K. Frogg and Long John Baldry with Elton John. Jean remembers: "Like a living jukebox, Jimi played the hits of the time in his own way: "Seargent Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band", The Burning Of The Midnight Lamp" (where he used one of the first wah-wah pedals), "Killing Floor", "Fire", Hey Joe", "I Don't Live Today", "Like A Rolling Stone", and "Purple Haze". From The Beatles, to Dylan, with The Experiences' own music but no "Wild Thing"…

Barclay recording artist Nicoletta, was close to Jimi for a long time: "I new Jimi Hendrix in London in 1967 thanks to Eric Burdon. He was a true musician but also a very peaceful and tolerant person. He spoke little and listened to others. He was just so nice. He asked me if he could jam with us, and when he played his guitar he stunned everybody. When he came to Paris I took him to meet Jean Bouquin who made him Pakistani style waistcoats. Jimi was a real dandy. He wore hats and frilly shirts. He had varnished shoes with a Louis XI buckle. With him we went dancing at Saint-Germain-des-Près to the Whiskey-A-Go-Go. We finished the evening at the Halles to have some onion soup. The last time that I saw him was two months before his death, in July 1970. Jimi was supposed to write me some songs. I was so sad when he died. He went too soon."

The Experience came back to star at l'Olympia for a Musicorama on October 9, 1967, with Pebbles and Eire Apparent as support…in the audience were P.P. Arnold, Ronnie Bird, Jacques Dutronc, Françoise Hardy and The Small Faces.

Bernard Masanès: "L'Olympia was packed. …It seemed that part of the public had never seen Hendrix, even in a photo, and the curly haired guitarist of Eire Apparent received undue attention."

October 10 and the power trio mime "Burning Of The Midnight Lamp" and "Hey Joe" for the TV programme "Dim Dam Dom" which was transmitted November 12 with Manitas de Plata, Scott Mckenzie and Mireille Mathieu. In the evening, Jimi met The Small Faces and P.P. Arnold at the Emperor Rosko's Parisian club La Tour de Nestlé (Rosko was the star DJ on Radio RTL's MiniMax show). On the 11th a new film was shot on the building site of Montparnasse railway station for the show "Le Petit Dimanche Illustré" and transmitted on the 15 th on Antenne 2, with Stevie Wonder and Dani. This time they played "The Wind Cries Mary" and "Burning Of The Midnight Lamp". Finally, on the 12th, they appeared on the set of Denise Glaser's show "Discorama", to mime to the same two songs. Jimi pretended to play violin and piano (imitating Jerry Lee Lewis).

On January 29, 1968, there were two Musicoramas at l'Olympia, one in the morning and one in the evening, with Eric Burdon & The New Animals on the same bill.
Jacques Barsamian, who interviewed Jimi at the bar, between the two shows: "When I met him he was sort of half there. I told him that The Experience were classed third in the Rock & Folk referendum behind The Beatles and The Stones. This excited him and he said "Fantastic, groovy, man! I'll have to work hard to stay in the same position next year but my music won't necessarily be as commercial. You see, on stage, I forget everything, even pain. Look how my finger is all cut up. When I play, I don't even think about it. I love the Olympia crowd, they're fantastic. I hope I play the second set better than in the first because we has quite a bit of trouble which prevented us from rehearsing."

The Experience were supposed to play the Musicorama of May 13, 1968 but it was cancelled because of the violent outbursts which shook Paris and the whole of the country.

There was a press reception on May 29 at the Mascotte Club with Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell. Jimi arrived the day after from New York.

After the show in Zurich (30 May 1968), The Experience went to the Crazy Girl Club where they had some trouble with the Swiss police. On the 31st, Jimi jammed with his friends Dave Mason, Chris Wood, Stevie Winwood, Trevor Burton, Carl Wayne and Vic Briggs.
Claude Lemoine: "Hendrix was a God in Switzerland. When he went into "Purple Haze", fights broke out, the police got scared which only aggravated the situation. It was really something to see 10 000 people going beserk."

Gérard Feraud (Michel Polnareff's ex-guitariste): "In Spring 1968, I was on tour in Italy with Arthur Conley. On May 24, we played the Titial Club in Rome when all of a sudden the bass player of The Folks points out to me that Jimi Hendrix is in the front row. I felt very intimidated. At the end of the set he came backstage to meet us and asked if he could have a little jam. I offered him my guitar but he said "No, you play very well, I'll pay bass." That's how I came to jam with Jimi Hendrix, it was great".

At Wacken Hall, Strasbourg on January 29, 1969, The Experience were supported by Eire Apparent and the Musicorama, then the Musicorama programmed for 29 January 27 was cancelled.

François Jouffa: "…in August 1970 I was at the Isle Of Wight for Europe 1. Backstage we were among the groups, hash was passed around. It was under these conditions that Jimi took the stage. He was in another world. He messed around with his guitar for ages as if there was nobody there before he started his show.
Jacques Barsamian concludes: "Like a few people, I was at IOW for his last major concert. Jimi took half an hour to tune up then seemed to wake up and said "Sorry, I was somewhere else".

stplsd
01-15-10, 05:55 AM
Many thanks for the translation. There are many innacuracies in this article, both by the writer and by those interviewed. There are also many claims that appear to be dubious and would need to be verified. Is anyone going to investigate?

purple jim
02-16-10, 03:11 PM
Caesar Glebeek did some research which reveals that Otis Redding was no longer in Britain at the time of the Blaises gig. Hallyday and his friend must have confused the meeting with another occasion.

stplsd
02-18-10, 05:35 AM
I believe the Villerupt gig has been slightly misleadingly titled as being at the 'salle des fetes' this is just the French equivalent of what we would call 'function room/hall' (or something similar) in the 'Hotel de Ville' - ie the Town Hall? - Villerupt Hotel de Ville/Salle des Fetes?

Some nice quotes about Zurich and Titan club jam, etc.

MourningStar
02-18-10, 10:47 AM
:000-thanx: :000-thanx: :000-thanx:

stplsd
02-18-10, 03:31 PM
Interesting quote from Mickey Jones: "Back in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Paris</st1:place></st1:City>, I went to jam at the Bilboquet and I played "Hey Joe". Dave Gilmour, who was playing there with his group Flowers (two years before he joined Pink Floyd) was blown away."

No date but by implication it would be after Johnny's Hey Joe recording session in November (actual day?). He doesn't mention Jimi or Johnny being at the Bilboquet?

Then comes this quote from Hallyday: "At the Bilboquet, with Carlos [?], Hubert [Wayaffe, 'Europe 1' DJ] and Sam Bernett, Jimi was a sensation. The girls really liked him."??

ie Jimi visited Paris in November 66 and hung out with Johnny & Co., at the Bilboquet, strangely no mention of his guitarist Micky? Possibly a confusion with his supposed visit to the Whisky A Go Go with Jimi et al (inc. Hubert Wayaffe) after the October 66 Olympia gig.

And this which appears to be about the October tour (rather than the Bilboquet) Hallyday: "Jimi Hendrix, dressed in white, finishing his show by smashing his guitar. The Experience were fantastic but the French public didn't really get it. It was too new, too out of the ordinary."

Jimi appears in all photos to be dressed in a dark suit, apart from his white silk shirt, which he appeared in, minus his jacket, during the jam just prior to the interval at the Olympia. Maybe he lost the jacket before the end of his performance, no other record of him smashing his guitar, although it may have appeared he did, what with his cab grinding and guitar on the flooor antics during his usual Wild Thing finale. Johnny appears to be getting just a little bit carried away here;-) The audience at Villerupt according to an eye witness were very enthusiastic and the press although disparaging of Johnny's "main-man" Long Chris, were generally neutral about Jimi (a complete unknown to them) apart from one who thought he was a "bad cocktail of James Brown & Chuck Berry" and appeared upset by his outlandish appearance: "bushy hair". . ." "writhed on the stage" The tape of the Olympia show reveals the audience there to have given him a great reception - as Jimi himself acknowledged on the same stage in 1967.

stplsd
02-27-10, 04:19 PM
The Experience came back to star at l'Olympia for a Musicorama on October 9, 1967, with Pebbles [...] as support…in the audience were P.P. Arnold, Ronnie Bird, Jacques Dutronc, Françoise Hardy and The Small Faces.

Ronnie Bird was another artist who appeared on Bouton Rouge. Jaques Dutronc was a French star who shared the bill with Jimi on French TV show

stplsd
04-24-10, 09:27 PM
[correction]
Eire Apparent got signed, and named, by Mke Jeffery shortly before they began working with Jimi in his November 67 tour? Although it may be possible, I've not heard any other mention of them performing at this show?