PDA

View Full Version : Jimi's birthdate.

Purplz
01-20-10, 08:30 PM
I know that Jimi's birthdate is 27/11/1942 but I've came across this document which states that he was born the 27/11/1945

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/5470/munichhotel67.jpg

Here's a close-up: http://ioj.com/v/6hvdd .

Is it just the person who wrote it down that made a mistake (even tho it really looks like Jimi's spelling) or what?

PS: does anyone have a copy of his birth certificate?

RobbieRadio
01-20-10, 10:52 PM
The date has to be wrong. If you add up the years of his music career, time on the Chitlin Circuit, plus Army Time it comes to about 7 plus years. That would make Jimi about 16 when he joined the Army.

stplsd
01-21-10, 04:10 AM
It's not a mistake, just Jimi's publicity date, they thought it looked better knocking a couple of years off his age. The initial 1966 press handout has this date as well, and his 1967 NME 'Lifelines' bio etc. etc..

Purplz
01-21-10, 02:26 PM
It's not a mistake, just Jimi's publicity date, they thought it looked better knocking a couple of years off his age. The initial 1966 press handout has this date as well, and his 1967 NME 'Lifelines' bio etc. etc..

Man, they had some shady techniques back then :p

Nowaday, if a superstar would do that, this would be all over the headlines.

buffalorattle
01-22-10, 05:45 PM
Dont forget Jimi's birth certificate was altered on 11th September 1946, From Johnny Allen to James Marshall

stplsd
01-23-10, 03:50 AM
Dont forget Jimi's birth certificate was altered on 11th September 1946, From Johnny Allen to James Marshall

What would that have to do with his age?
Where's the evidence his certificate was changed?
According to the bio's it was hard to get a copy of his bith certificate to get him a passport as he was still registered as Johnny Alan, and they had been looking for James Marshall.

buffalorattle
01-23-10, 05:34 AM
What would that have to do with his age?
Where's the evidence his certificate was changed?
According to the bio's it was hard to get a copy of his bith certificate to get him a passport as he was still registered as Johnny Alan, and they had been looking for James Marshall.

Al Hendrix alledgedly ? obtained an affidavit on 11/09/46 for the purpose of the name change, The evidence ? Having not seen either document myself I have to rely ( as I imagine you do), On what is written in books,That particular piece of info is mentioned in Electric Gypsy & Eyewitness Hendrix to name just two,As you mention Jimi's birth certificate was difficult to locate, Perhaps somebody saw the affidavit & used that date,It's just an idea.Dont take it as gospel.. Peace/out

stplsd
01-24-10, 05:10 AM
Al Hendrix alledgedly ? obtained an affidavit on 11/09/46 for the purpose of the name change, The evidence ? Having not seen either document myself I have to rely ( as I imagine you do), On what is written in books,That particular piece of info is mentioned in Electric Gypsy & Eyewitness Hendrix to name just two,As you mention Jimi's birth certificate was difficult to locate, Perhaps somebody saw the affidavit & used that date,It's just an idea.Dont take it as gospel.. Peace/out

Thanks for the info buffalorattle. But can you not change your name in the US (as you can in England, Scotland etc.) without having to change your birth certificate? His PR birthdate was clear as in the original printing they had his real date and then crossed out the last two digits and added the PR one! I believe slightly later they knocked another year or two off! (some publications) It's got nada to do with officialdom is what I'm saying;-)

buffalorattle
01-24-10, 06:31 AM
Thanks stplsd,Basically I agree with your post,In that the PR machine knocked a few years off Jimi's age,Probably to appeal to younger fans,The same way they hid the fact Jimi had a girlfriend,As you suggest I dont think a name change involves changing/altering the birth certificate,Perhaps on reflection, my "Affidavit" remark was irrelevant