PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the Live Shows

Roland Stone
01-25-10, 08:20 PM
I would love to see a list of every Jimi live show ranked for Sound Quality and Performance on a scale of 1 - 100. For instance I would give Monterey a 98SQ/100P. Fillmore East I'd give a 99SQ/100P. Phoenix I might give a 60SQ/90P.

Anybody up for making some kind of a poll listing every available live show where we could all vote on the rankings?

MourningStar
01-25-10, 09:33 PM
Check out the JH Record Guide site in the external links forum. I believe the bootlegs are rated there (as well as official releases).

Roland Stone
01-25-10, 10:13 PM
I looked at the Record Guide. Interesting reading but not really what I had in mind. I just want to see a top to bottom ranking of all Jimi's shows.

Fighting it out for the bottom slots: Madison Square Garden 70 for worst performance? Harlem Block Benefit for worst sound quality?

Chris M
01-25-10, 11:49 PM
Arhus is far worse than MSG '70. Jimi plays some good licks in Who Knows and sounds generally inspired for half of it. Clearly distracted and unwell but the creativity still flowed.

stplsd
01-26-10, 12:14 AM
Arhus is far worse than MSG '70. Jimi plays some good licks in Who Knows and sounds generally inspired for half of it. Clearly distracted and unwell but the creativity still flowed.

I agree to an extent, but would go further in that both tunes he played at MSG, were played well, in completely different improvised ways (furiously), including the lyrics, and to completion. The main reason the songs are not appreciated more and talked about innacurately, is due to his outrageously obnoxious manner at the time (due to?), his cutting the show after only 2 songs, and the usually available recordings until relatively recently being of a poor quality and often incomplete.

As for Aarhus it just doesn't bare comparison with anything. It was the nadir of his career.

Horizon
01-26-10, 09:19 AM
I agree to an extent, but would go further in that both tunes he played at MSG, were played well, in completely different improvised ways (furiously), including the lyrics, and to completion. The main reason the songs are not appreciated more and talked about innacurately, is due to his outrageously obnoxious manner at the time (due to?), his cutting the show after only 2 songs, and the usually available recordings until relatively recently being of a poor quality and often incomplete.

As for Aarhus it just doesn't bare comparison with anything. It was the nadir of his career.
I agree but the next day in Copenhagen was one of the highlights of his career.

backfromthestorm
01-26-10, 11:31 AM
I think its hard enough to get people to agree when we have the facts sometimes.. This would be beyond the realms of possibility. Sound quality may be able to be ranked somewhat objectively but who's to say what performance outshines another? The answers in the ear/eyes of the beholder. Everyone must make there own mind up on that i think....

Roland Stone
01-26-10, 12:40 PM
That's why a poll would be good. No need for agreement and everyone would be entitled to his own opinion. My only concern would be that people should not vote on a show unless they've actually listened to it.

MourningStar
01-26-10, 12:49 PM
^

... Anybody up for making some kind of a poll ...?Why don't you do it?

Roland Stone
01-26-10, 02:11 PM
^

Why don't you do it?

1. I'd need a list of every live show in circulation. I guess that wouldn't be too hard to find.

2. I have no idea whether it's possible to create a poll here where you could actually enter a numeric ranking. Is it possible?

It just occured to me that another possibility would be to create an individual poll for each show available here on CTT where people could enter their numeric ranking.

univibs
01-26-10, 02:52 PM
I would love to see a list of every Jimi live show ranked for Sound Quality and Performance on a scale of 1 - 100. For instance I would give Monterey a 98SQ/100P. Fillmore East I'd give a 99SQ/100P. Phoenix I might give a 60SQ/90P.

Anybody up for making some kind of a poll listing every available live show where we could all vote on the rankings?

ho we are to judge performance ?

Trotzkee
01-27-10, 12:32 AM
Right, who are we to say Jimi performed worse in Arhus than Copenhagen the next day? :confused:

I think it's pretty easy to judge some performances, but I don't like doing it. I began doing it in winamp with my collection and a 5 star rating system, but soon after stopped. I didn't like comparing all these shows, and giving some 3 stars because they weren't as "good" as some other performance. What is "good"? All (almost) Jimi shows were great, they don't need to be assigned a number.

Roland Stone
01-27-10, 10:18 PM
You guys are over-analyzing this! Who are WE to judge Jimi's performances? WE are his biggest fans, and if we don't do it who should? Janie? Alan Douglas?

It's all just personal opinion and nobody twisting anybody's arm. If you want to rate every show he ever gave as 100 out of 100 points for performance, go right ahead. Personally I would probably rate Woodstock higher than Atlanta, and I'd probably rate the Rainbow Bridge shows higher than Sacramento. But that's just me.

Horizon
01-28-10, 04:09 AM
Right, who are we to say Jimi performed worse in Arhus than Copenhagen the next day? :confused:

I think it's pretty easy to judge some performances, but I don't like doing it. I began doing it in winamp with my collection and a 5 star rating system, but soon after stopped. I didn't like comparing all these shows, and giving some 3 stars because they weren't as "good" as some other performance. What is "good"? All (almost) Jimi shows were great, they don't need to be assigned a number.
In Arhus Jimi was in bad shape and left the stage after 3 songs while the next day in Copenhagen he played his heart out for 2 hours including two encores.

Jimian
01-28-10, 04:01 PM
I understand what you're saying but I can't give Monterey top marks for sound quality.... WHERE IS THE BASS DRUM???

MourningStar
01-28-10, 07:40 PM
I understand what you're saying but I can't give Monterey top marks for sound quality.... WHERE IS THE BASS DRUM???Coming thru loud and clear if you listen to the original Reprise vinyl thru awesome vintage amp/turntable and speakers (1973 Sansui/Dual direct-drive w/Bose 501's would rattle your teeth and pierce your heart back in the day).

LE-20
01-28-10, 08:23 PM
Picked up a 74' sansui amp in a pawn shop in 85' that weighed about 200lbs. That was always my best(home)Hendrix listening experience.:rasta:

Jimian
01-28-10, 08:23 PM
Coming thru loud and clear if you listen to the original Reprise vinyl thru awesome vintage amp/turntable and speakers (1973 Sansui/Dual direct-drive w/Bose 501's would rattle your teeth and pierce your heart back in the day).
I wonder why it isn't mixed like that now....

LE-20
01-28-10, 08:26 PM
Hey Mourningstar, I really dig listening to your LA 70 tape.My favorite part is before the music starts! :000-thanx:for sharing it.

MourningStar
01-28-10, 08:32 PM
Hey Mourningstar, I really dig listening to your LA 70 tape.My favorite part is before the music starts! :000-thanx:for sharing it.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/XiKano/EMOTSMILEY/mohawk.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/XiKano/EMOTSMILEY/music-smiley-1306.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/XiKano/EMOTSMILEY/mohawk.gif

Chris M
01-28-10, 09:21 PM

Well said. You're right, parts of Earth Blues are great. The start of the solo is killer. I love when Jimi just gives up singing but plays the EB chords more forcefully than ever.

I used to listen to 1/28/70 Who Knows before going out. You can tell Jimi is really going through some heavy shit and trying to work it out in the music. I think it is some of his most passionate vocals ever. I love the "war is over, in your heart baby, in your mind" bit. I get chills thinking about it. I would do terrible things for the footage.

LE-20
01-28-10, 09:36 PM
Yeah, MSG 70 was always was fun to listen to. There is just something to it..No other recordings have such a vibe. We'll never know why.. Anyway, the sonic upgrade was a treat for sure..