PDA

View Full Version : BBC sessions: original track sequence?

jerry1970
01-29-10, 01:38 AM
Is it known what the original track sequence for the BBC sessions is? I am copying all my audio files to a hard disk and decided to go for the chronological order, so breaking up collections.

I realize I don't even know whether the official BBC Sessions release is complete...

Thanks!
Jerry

purple jim
02-01-10, 10:52 AM
Check out this page on Ayler's forum. Each session is listed in order.
http://hendrix.aceboard.fr/264448-2561-3618-0-Sessions-1998.htm

"BBC Sessions" was complete as far as I know (apart from the loose "Ain't To Proud To Beg" instrumental with Stevie Wonder).

Fenders Fingers
02-01-10, 06:19 PM
Check out the BBC DAT masters material. This is the most complete Radio material and the notes contain dates per session. Just add in any TV broadcast audio from alt' sources.

jerry1970
02-02-10, 07:05 AM
Thanks! Nice list. BBC Sessions might be complete, but out of order. I decided to go chronoligical! ;) Ain't Too Proud To Beg incomplete? Still not complete?! Thanks again, EH...

What's marked with 'chute' on the French forum, those are versions not broadcast?

What's the "BBC DAT masters"?

Thanks!
Jerry

purple jim
02-02-10, 11:54 AM
What's marked with 'chute' on the French forum, those are versions not broadcast?

"Chute" means out-take (the alternate recordings on "BBC Sessions".

Fenders Fingers
02-03-10, 02:34 AM
BBC DAT masters is a set of recordings, including interview material, on a 2 disc set with art circulated a couple of years ago. As it says on the label, from DAT master. Excellent quality, better sonics and as complete as possible from radio b/cast. I think only missing the version of Driving South.

murray451
02-21-10, 01:21 PM
There was also FTO 008/009 - BBC Complete on two disks....,

murray451
02-21-10, 01:28 PM
From the FTO Notes......,

Here's another collection of related material, this one the BBC radio sessions from 1967. This set collects all the material from the five BBC radio sessions for which material exists. It might seem pointless with the official release of "BBC Sessions", but there were some drawbacks to that release (that frankly many people may not care too much about). The 3 major areas that were perceived as weaknesses were:

1) some tracks and other various bits and pieces were omitted from the official release
2) many of the tracks were presented in simulated stereo rather than true mono, or with added effects such as reverb
3) track ordering was not by session

Recording order of each session is not known for certain; a few things are known, but still the track order within each session is semi-random.

Most material is not from official public releases, but from "Hendrix at the Beeb", a Westwood One radio show from Fall 1992. All material here is true mono. The "Beeb" material is all mono to start with, and in addition presents some tracks in a dry mix that the official releases have with reverb.

It's not entirely clear whether all the reverb is a late addition; some of the March 28 tracks, which survive from BBC transcription LP, also have reverb. But having some of this material in a dry mix is nice since it's uncommon (and i also prefer those mixes).

Unfortunately some things weren't on the "Beeb" discs: alternate takes and parts of interviews. These were taken from other sources as shown in the track list. EH material was taken from LP except in cases where clipping wasn't present, and channels were averaged to restore mono.

Since the fake stereo was done by applying different EQ to each channel, averaging was a legitimate way to restore the mono. Overall EQ may still be somewhat affected, but not much by the sound of it.

Fenders Fingers
02-21-10, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE=murray451;27876]From the FTO Notes......,

but there were some drawbacks to that release (that frankly many people may not care too much about). The 3 major areas that were perceived as weaknesses were:

2) many of the tracks were presented in simulated stereo rather than true mono, or with added effects such as reverb
uncommon (and i also prefer those mixes).

QUOTE]

Murry451. Are you saying the BBC sessions were recorded in mono or that some releases were mono? Not quite getting this. Sorry for being a bit slow here. Have you checked the BBC DAT masters for stereo / mono / reverb etc?

MourningStar
02-21-10, 05:34 PM
Is it known what the original track sequence for the BBC sessions is? I am copying all my audio files to a hard disk and decided to go for the chronological order, so breaking up collections.

I realize I don't even know whether the official BBC Sessions release is complete...

Thanks!
JerryHi Jerry - looks like murray451 has answered your question.

Question to the populace : Does the Ben Franklin document shed any additional light on this sequence thing?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/XiKano/AVATAR/peace5.gif

stplsd
02-22-10, 09:28 AM
Question to the populace : Does the Ben Franklin document shed any additional light on this sequence thing?

What is this Ben Franklin document please?

lsdmofro
02-27-10, 01:44 AM

Thanks!
Jerry

Jerry...that's funny and insane and awesome all at the same time! Pretty novel idea! I was chuckling...what an endeavor!

MourningStar
02-27-10, 02:50 AM
What is this Ben Franklin document please?http://www.jimpress.co.uk/ftbfs.html

Trotzkee
02-27-10, 03:50 AM
CD 1:
SATURDAY CLUB, BBC, February 13, 1967
1. Interview
2. Hey Joe
3. Stone Free
4. Love Or Confusion
5. Foxy Lady
6. Foxy Lady
SATURDAY CLUB, BBC, March 28, 1967
7. Killing Floor
8. Fire
9. Purple Haze
TOP GEAR, BBC, October 6, 1967
10. Advert (Little Miss Lover)
11. Interview
12. Burning Of The Midnight Lamp
13. Hound Dog
14. Intro
15. Little Miss Lover
16. Catfish Blues
17. Driving South
18. Driving South #2
19. Driving South #3
20. Jamming

CD 2:
RHYTHM AND BLUES, BBC, October 17, 1967
1. Signature Tune
2. Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window
3. Intro by Alexis Corner
4. Hoochie Coochie Man
5. Intro by Alexis Corner
6. Driving South
TOP GEAR, BBC, December 15, 1967
7. Radio One Theme
8. Interview
9. Spanish Castle Magic
10. Wait Until Tomorrow
11. Day Tripper
12. Getting My Heart Back Together
13. Getting My Heart Back Together - alternate vocal

Source: "BBC Radio" CDs

I could play connect the dots, but I don't really want to. There aren't very many multiples though, so that's good. You should be able to match this to the tracks on the CD easily.