PDA

View Full Version : AYE 2010 US & UK Reissue Tracks?

fromnabulax
02-02-10, 07:44 PM
Hi Crosstowners,
I'm wondering if any of my European friends know what the track line-up for the Euro AYE reissue (due March 9, 2010 as I recall) will be.
I am presuming the US version (already ordered) will be the original US LP track line-up as released in 1967 plus the Euro tracks added at the end as bonus tracks.
Will the European version (also already ordered) feature the SAME track listing, or will it be the original UK track listing with the addiotional US tracks added at the end as bonus tracks?
Will it possibly be neither?
Has any member here heard any pre-release copies of the new remasters?
Any informed insight is welcomed!

Ayler
02-03-10, 02:38 AM
Here is the answer:

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/images/B00328G4W0/ref=dp_image_text_z_0?ie=UTF8&n=301062&s=music

Same as the 1997 edition.

Fenders Fingers
02-03-10, 04:28 AM
Sony / EH are making a single issue. In other words just one set release worldwide. The vinyl issue of the core catalogue is a US issue only and available as an import only to many of us. The audio is a re-release of the material issued in 1997 and as any re-releases through to Jan 2010. The vinyl is from analog master and mastered at Sterling sound as they were in 1997 and any re-releases, again to Jan 2010.

fromnabulax
02-03-10, 09:36 AM
Thanks to both responders. I had seen the same photo at Amazon France, Germany and UK but was unable to actually read the track listing.
The main product description doesn't list the tracks either.
Although I'm from the US and grew up with the American/Reprise AYE , I discovered the European version of while in Australia in 1972 and have always preferred it to the US release.
Same with Smash Hits.
Thanks again!

MourningStar
02-03-10, 10:45 AM
It will be interesting to learn how the vinyls spec out.

Fenders Fingers
02-03-10, 11:24 AM
It will be interesting to learn how the vinyls spec out.
As they are from Sterling Sound N.Y. as were previous EH issues, I think they will be the same. Difference being the Sony logo. These about to be released pressings will possibly be from the same master lacquer so will sound identical to the 1997 - 2010 pressings from the same facility.

MourningStar
02-03-10, 12:06 PM
As they are from Sterling Sound N.Y. as were previous EH issues, I think they will be the same. Difference being the Sony logo. These about to be released pressings will possibly be from the same master lacquer so will sound identical to the 1997 - 2010 pressings from the same facility.So then, nothing to write home about?

MourningStar
02-03-10, 12:13 PM
Seems like a viscious cycle and a trap for the ignorant. Companies, not just EH, purposely allow stuff to go 'out-of-print' (and thereby bestowing a 'rare status' that will ensnare the 'unaware') in order to put a so-called 'new & improved' product out there, in EH's case prompted by the new corporate relationship, no doubt.

:minipersonen065:

purple jim
02-03-10, 01:08 PM
I discovered the European version of while in Australia in 1972 and have always preferred it to the US release.

The European version is Jimi's own album, the real deal. The US version was just a compilation which he had no control over.

hawkfan369
02-03-10, 03:32 PM
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k187/hawkfan369/WTFSpock.gif

karsten
02-04-10, 11:02 AM
The japanese version P20P Polydor torrent rocks!!!

MourningStar
02-04-10, 03:58 PM
so far, i have yet to come across anything that can give the original vinyls any competion. sure, don't just take my word for it, grab a needledrop and see for yourself.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/XiKano/AVATAR/peace5.gif

Fenders Fingers
02-04-10, 04:06 PM
The original vinyl pressings are not exactly what they seem. I agree that overall the original analog pressings are the best way to listen to Jimi (music). The later all analog pressings from EH / Universal / MCA / Classic Records are probably the best sounding both mono and stereo.

dino77
02-05-10, 03:25 AM
The japanese version P20P Polydor torrent rocks!!!

Thanks for the heads-up! Will be a pleasure listening to those.

Fenders Fingers
02-05-10, 03:36 AM
The Jap release CD's are worth a listen and I hope we all get the chance to listen to them all soon enough. Look forward to hear what Dino77 and others really think of them in due course.

norocker
02-05-10, 12:57 PM
As has been previously mentioned, I found the Axis P20P nice, but You Got Me Floatin' has a stange mix to my ears. The intro backwards guitar is missing and the entire backwards guitar track seems buried in the mix. Thanks to whomever put them up, especially if that person has been known to hang out here.

johanincr
02-05-10, 01:03 PM
there are 2 stereo mixes of Axis!

The last recording by Jimi Hendrix to have a dedicated mono mix, this was only released in the UK and the US. Also released in stereo world wide. The Polydor re-release mysteriously had a different stereo mix from that originally released in UK, France, US and the rest of the world. This mix was more mono-compatible but omitted all the stereo panning of the initial release. It first appeared on a Backtrack budget LP release but before long replaced the original mix on all reissues and re-pressings, including the first UK CD. This may have been a simple confusion over which tape in Polydor's library was sent to the mastering facility. Later CD reissues (without the Vishnu cover) have reverted to the original mix.

Fenders Fingers
02-05-10, 03:50 PM
For sure we have two stereo mixes for You got me Floating. I can only comment on the vinyl issues. The difference really is that one version includes the swirling guitar as an intro’ while other omits this completely. All the Polydor vinyl pressing’s of Axis omit the swirling intro’ while Reprise MCA (Universal) and Barclay include it. Track Records had a problem ! It is included on the AXIS stereo issue from Track but is missing from the later Budget Backtrack pressing. As for the reason, it may not be possible to simply conclude a mix up (confusion) in the tape library but it is as good a reason s I can present. I will say that the original tapes never left the UK until EH took over as AD never made use of them as we know. Was this then a matter of cost. Having sent out the non-swirling guitar stereo mixes to various pressing plants Track / Polydor were not going to the cost of replacing them. Polydor had plants worldwide as you are all aware. Anyone else got a theory for this?
This is the third attempt to post this due to the server being busy. If this message appears elsewhere on the site, sorry !

karsten
02-06-10, 04:54 AM
mmmmmmm swirling, aahrrrhhhh:homer1:

dino77
02-06-10, 11:43 AM
Listened to the P20P versions of "AYE" and "In the West". "In the west" sounds really great; powerful bass, crisp high end, almost like the vinyl. Personally I prefer this mastering to the EH versions on the box set. The sound on "AYE" i found dull first, but now I like it - it's very natural, definitely better than on the Douglas era cds which used noise reduction. I can't compare with the "clipped" EH version, I never bought it!

Really, all the P2OP albums are worth downloading if only for the hilarious Jap transcripts of the lyrics!

"Stepping Stone":
You're a woman, at least you taste like you are
But you take it off in bed
With black tar

"Red House":
Lord, I'm ain't been home to see my pussy headed baby (?)

Fenders Fingers
02-06-10, 02:44 PM
Ah the tanslations :bananasmile::bananasmile:
These truly are worth the "entrance" fee alone.
Dino77 please post this as a new thread (I would if I could but I don't know to do it ). I'll see if I can dig out any Jap LP's for lyric sheets:)