PDA

View Full Version : Leeching and Share Ratios

hawkfan369
04-10-08, 03:50 PM
Many users are expressing the need for some sort of enforcement.

Would you like to see some form of share ratio enforcement?

I was really hoping to not have to, but i will do whatever the consensus is.

Please discuss...

Pat

johanincr
04-10-08, 04:05 PM
sadly, it seems that its needed.

i propose :

<5GB downloaded - SR min. 0.25
5-10GB downloaded - SR min. 0.35
10-25GB downloaded - SR min. 0.5
>25GB downloaded - SR 0.75 or above

other ideas anyone??

pancho1111
04-10-08, 04:59 PM
Seconding Paul56, I like the Zomb table, a bit indulgent at the beginning..
sometimes you are new into the site, and you like all the torrents that don't have any more leechers, so your ratio will be near zero..
I have ADSL, the ratio of my U/D speeds is +- 0.20, so is difficult to rise it, specially if you don't have new material to share, ... so:

5 GB downloaded with a ratio less than or equal to 0.10
10 GB downloaded with a ratio less than or equal to 0.15
20 GB downloaded with a ratio less than or equal to 0.20
40 GB downloaded with a ratio less than or equal to 0.30
80 GB downloaded with a ratio less than or equal to 0.40
100 GB downloaded with a ratio less than or equal to 0.50
200 GB downloaded with a ratio less than or equal to 0.60
500 GB downloaded with a ratio less than or equal to 0.75

opib
04-10-08, 05:29 PM
i just thought of a slightly different aproach:

a little harder on the ratio side
<5GB downloaded - SR min. 0.25
5-10GB downloaded - SR min. 0.5
10-25GB downloaded - SR min. 0.75
>25GB downloaded - SR 1 or above

but exceptions for those who really can't get it to work in a good way but are trying hard or have other problems with equipment, isp or other things.

Emilovious
04-10-08, 05:43 PM
My first impulse was of course - "get the ba....ds, hit 'em hard" but after some thought I must say that I wouldn't oblige anyone to have the ratio above 0.35. First, we are a small community. Every member counts. Second, at the moment, I have a fast connection and to have a good ratio isn't at all a problem for me. But I do remember well the days when I had much slower speed and wanted to download much more than I would today. Don't forget that we offer new torrents nearly every day - sometimes 2 or even three a day. For Jimi collector that's hard to resist. If you have slow Internet upload speed you're in trouble!. I would ban only shameless people. Those with ratios 0.0x and those bellow the 0.35 who don't improve it after repeated warrnings.
Let's be generous people!
MHO.

BBB
04-10-08, 07:53 PM
i think this is a bummer, but in fairness to those who are doing their part to share.....it does appear to me that something needs to be done. IMO, the torrent thing does not work well if everyone who participates does not give back to the community. I realize that when a new member jumps on an old torrent, it is very hard to get a good ratio on that particular torrent....for this reason, i think the sliding scale would be a good thing...something similar to what has already been suggested......ie.

< 5gig => .25
5 - 10gig => .35
10 + => .50

however, imo, there should be no reason why you could not maintain at least a .50 ratio over time. if a community is based on sharing....and you are only taking and not giving back...you are doing more harm that good for the community.

if you have a slow upload speed...or your connection is capped....maybe offer up some snail mail trades... i am sure we can come up with something that is fair for everybody.

paul56
04-10-08, 08:28 PM
Another interesting point that HC uses on their site and may help slower speed users ~ the karma point system, I'm not too familiar with it as I've not used it yet, although I have over 700 points.

How do I get these karma points?
1 bonus point per hour (if you seeding above 10KB/s)
+1.0GB upload credit for 100 karma points
+2.5GB upload credit for 200 karma points
+6GB upload credit for 400 karma points

This may be too involved as it requires additional database programming and we may not have enough users to make it feasible. Just an idea.

The Top 20 under 0.21 Ratio with Downloads over 10 GB

Name Upload Download Ratio
jana 361.14 mb 20.79 gb 0.02
Europa 622.50 mb 16.51 gb 0.04
thingfish 613.44 mb 13.15 gb 0.05
jimiforever 1.29 gb 22.25 gb 0.06
lafaro 1.24 gb 19.40 gb 0.06
Xheight 1.37 gb 17.40 gb 0.08
weavzy 1.81 gb 20.30 gb 0.09
ruud 1.24 gb 13.33 gb 0.09
rafaelbordini85 3.29 gb 29.14 gb 0.11
soyojp 1.76 gb 13.50 gb 0.13
illusioniste 3.20 gb 24.26 gb 0.13
johnnyallenhendrix 0 2.24 gb 16.66 gb 0.13
jonteich 2.98 gb 20.11 gb 0.15
purpleclouds 6.01 gb 35.57 gb 0.17
carlygtr56 3.57 gb 20.66 gb 0.17
Claudio90210 2.71 gb 14.48 gb 0.19
Tabby 2.08 gb 10.54 gb 0.20
hezekiahx2 2.57 gb 12.75 gb 0.20
PunkyP 5.27 gb 25.46 gb 0.21
modifiedsoul 2.78 gb 13.02 gb 0.21

MourningStar
04-11-08, 12:08 AM
Many users are expressing the need for some sort of enforcement.

Would you like to see some form of share ratio enforcement?

I was really hoping to not have to, but i will do whatever the consensus is.

I support anything that improves the website experience. Correct me if I'm wrong but the primary purpose here is to share & download Hendrix performances. Period. The faster the better, obviously. One of the factors that helps achieve the 'faster' aspect is the number of seeders (the more the better). When I am downloading, I am seeding at the same time (when other leechers are present - if none are present I will only download if I have a ratio 'surplus'). Also, it is my assumption that this process is in no way affected by one's ratio. Therefore, reducing the number of potential seeders via low ratio enforcement would 'potentially' reduce download speeds. Yes? To some this is a bad thing. To me (and possibly others) it is a non-issue because it's all free anyways.

However, if one has their client configured to disable uploading while downloading, this I would take violent objection to. Is there a justifiable reason for someone to purposely do this? If not, then my objection remains valid and my next question would be can this deplorable act be monitored?

Finally, IF, in the end, the only thing that ratio enforcement accomplishes is the relief of some people's frustrations, anger, etc. my position would become neutral.
"If you can play, you can play anything. I don't like classifications." - Buddy Rich

paul56
04-11-08, 01:13 AM
There are people who don't have the bandwidth to seed and achieve a high ratio and there are people who take off soon after they complete. If there is an attempt to seed at least they are trying to share, and I agree with MorningStar that more seeders are better, however I do take exception to the leechers who upon completion disconnect from seeding and have no intention to share.

Like Polipus, I recall when I had slow speeds and it was always a struggle to keep up close to a 1.0. I now have a faster connection and average about a 5.0 - 6.0 ratio on most sites, I purposely reduce my speed on this site and get off seeding to allow others to seed and help their ratio.

HF and the admin/mods have done a great job promoting the site, each torrent now has about 25-50 completes. I remember the old-site when 15 completes was about what we could expect.

I'm all for what johanincr and BBB mentioned. I'm also for giving everyone a chance to get acquainted with what is expected of them on the site and for helping with tech questions and solutions.

It's no fun policing and monitoring and it's no fun when leechers take advantage of a good thing. I'm sure there is a compromise here.

MourningStar
04-11-08, 01:53 AM
Here's a twist to consider. I personally have experienced my uploading exceeding my downloading on more than a few occasions. It used to freak me out. Anyways, in these instances I actually gave back more than I got. And even if I gave back exactly what I got there would be no change in my ratio! Just food for thought.

Emilovious
04-11-08, 07:21 AM
"...One of the factors that helps achieve the 'faster' aspect is the number of seeders (the more the better). When I am downloading, I am seeding at the same time (when other leechers are present - if none are present I will only download if I have a ratio 'surplus'). Also, it is my assumption that this process is in no way affected by one's ratio.."

You forget that these people who has low ratios operate like this:
They jump on a torrent with many seeders (no leechers or very few), finish their download fast and then dissapear . What kind of an effect can they have on torrent general speed or efficiency? NONE! You already finished your torent and you're seeding MourningStar - you give - they take

"...in these instances I actually gave back more than I got. And even if I gave back exactly what I got there would be no change in my ratio! Just food for thought."

Sorry, the above situation you described didn't happen. It's simply not possible.
I'll give you an example - you can actually upload EXACTLY the same amount you downloaded and your ratio can go DOWN (it's pur mathematics) here's proof:

You start with folowing situation:
You downloaded 10 GBs and uploaded 20 GBs - your ratio is 2.0.
Then you download a torrent that is 5GBs large and upload additional 5 GBs
after that your situation is:
uploaded 25 GBs
downloaded 15 GBs
RATIO: 1.66

Conclusion: you downloaded 5 GBs and uploaded 5 GBs (the same amount)
and your ratio fell from 2.0 to 1.66.
MATHEMATICS!!!!

Ratio mathematcs is very tricky. For example, if you want to keep ratio around 2.0, you ALWAYS have to upload twice as much you downloaded.
If you want to keep only 0.50 ratio, you can ALWAYS download twice as much you uploaded. If you have 2.0 ratio, you can't upload as much as you download and keep the 2.0 ratio. With 2.0 ratio, if you upload as much as you downloaded your ratio will eventually fall to 1.0 (slowly but surely).

paul56
04-11-08, 09:34 AM
In uTorrent I set the ratio to 400%
I can usually end up at a 1.0 - 1.5 ratio when complete.
Then continue to seed usually until the first swarm 10-15 people are complete.
At that point my ratio is about 2.0, based on the amount of traffic, I either get off to allow others to seed or keep going.

Pugs
04-11-08, 09:54 AM
People come here because they love Jimi. You guys have a lot of material these people want, so they download. If you are unfortunate to be one of the last downloaders, your ratio will suffer. I have seen stuff hit the tracker and get downloaded by most members and by the time I log on there's just seeders. The people who join the site to get shows have little or nothing, in all probability, to upload so they are on a hiding to nothing. Don't get me wrong, I dislike those who download and run but that may not necessarily be the reason why there's a lot of low ratios.

MourningStar
04-11-08, 10:11 AM
Ratio mathematcs is very tricky.
I guess I just had a ratio of 1.0 in mind when I stated that scenario. I never really thought it out that far. Now you have me seriously thinking. I think I will lower my ratio to 0.5. Thnx! - :woohoo:

( ;) )

heyyo
04-11-08, 12:02 PM
IMO, just leave it as it is now and ban people if its an extreme case, like the LSD7 user, if people hit and runt they don't even make an effort to seed.
This is a pretty small tracker and some users upload way more than they should upload so some people with a slow connection will have a hard time to keep a decent ratio.
Its all about the music and spreading jimi's love in the end anyway :)

Ganoosh
04-11-08, 12:15 PM
The people who join the site to get shows have little or nothing
These people need to take advantage of the B&P service offered by most sites, I'm not positive but I believe you can take these shows you receive in the mail and upload them here. Basically there is an option for people who suffer from upload caps, slow connections or lack of material to share, It may not be as easy but we're not the one's who selected your ISP.

I myself wish I took that route, Instead I bought a 1tb HD and just started downloading everything I wanted, sometimes setting my download speeds to whatever the speed I was uploading at, and sometimes there wold be no other leechers and my ratios did suffer but if you can hang on long enough you will find you have items to start sharing.

Comcast used to cap my upload speed at 30kbs so I know it can be frustrating.

Pugs
04-11-08, 12:31 PM
I'm not sure the ratios are correct. If you click on your username you can get a breakdown of your uploads and downloads. I have one show (Lorensburg) appearing as downloaded, yet it wasn't downloaded and for the 4th Source LA Forum which I downloaded, 0 bytes is displayed as being downloaded. I'm confused!!

MourningStar
04-11-08, 01:00 PM
I'm not sure the ratios are correct. If you click on your username you can get a breakdown of your uploads and downloads. I have one show (Lorensburg) appearing as downloaded, yet it wasn't downloaded and for the 4th Source LA Forum which I downloaded, 0 bytes is displayed as being downloaded. I'm confused!!
Well, I guess that throws 'ratio mathematics' out the window! ;)

tWreCK
04-11-08, 01:30 PM
I'm with heyyo - in extreme cases a ban may be warranted otherwise just leave it. As others have pointed out, by the time a lot of users find the shows they want to download it's already too late to improve their ratios since most of the active members have downloaded them already and are seeding. I don't have time to check the site everyday (have a real life to deal with) so when I do log on there are 10-15 new shows with only seeders - how are you going to improve your ratio in those situations? You can't unfortunately. Whenever I'm fortunate to see a show posted I don't have I get on it as early as possible but it's usually hit and miss most of the time.

Regarding B&P - a good idea in theory if you can get on one the vines. For example, I've been a member over @ JPIO for almost a year now and not once have I ever been able to get on any of th vines and believe me, I've tried! I eventually just stopped trying. Anyway, I'll eventually get my ratio back up to 1:1..........

Emilovious
04-11-08, 04:01 PM
There's a lot of sites offering nice Jimi's music for free - meaning no ratio policy is enforced.
Yesterday I posted a link for the "Box Of Gypsys RevA" torrent. Someone with low ratio can download that torrent and upload it here.
If you try, there's always a way of improving your ratio.
For example, even this site regularly accepts new members. These members start downloading old torrents. If you have them active - that's the way to improve your ratio.
Since not many torrents on this site are active (only the latest-newest ones)
keeping 20 or 30 torrents alive in your torrent-client list is not a problem at all even if you have low Intenet speed. Inactive torrents are not a burden for your bandwidth. However, when a new member registers, with these old torrents on offer you have a good chance to improve your ratio. Policy is simple. For example, I have 20 open torrents solely on this torrent site at the moment. Only one or two are active. Some of them are a month or two old. Nevertheless I keep them open. Sooner or later someone will jump on it. He'll be grateful to me for keeping an old torrent alive and I'll be grateful to him for helping me improve my ratio. It's possible to have a fine ratio - it's not a fantasy, believe me. Even if it doesn't sound very matematically logical, EVERY MEMBER of this site can have acceptable ratio - it's possible - I've seen it on many small or large torrent sites.

hawkfan369
04-11-08, 04:40 PM
I have added a poll at the top of the thread, please vote.

:beer:

MourningStar
04-11-08, 04:40 PM
... by the time a lot of users find the shows they want to download it's already too late to improve their ratios since most of the active members have downloaded them already and are seeding. I don't have time to check the site everyday (have a real life to deal with) so when I do log on there are 10-15 new shows with only seeders - how are you going to improve your ratio in those situations? You can't unfortunately. ...
Oh yes you can. You CAN take a break 'from your real life' on occasion. I also suffered as you describe and I had to do without for quite awhile and just keep what I did have available for others until my numbers improved. I didn't whine about it. I just had to suck it up! Others can do same. As far as I can tell these shows are not going to disappear. They will still be here when your numbers improve.

Pugs
04-11-08, 05:13 PM
I'm pretty happy with my Jimi collection so am not a "hit & run" merchant and try to keep my ratio up out of respect but I want to play Devil's advocate so please don't flame me.

This is how it sounds to me "Come to our site to download Jimi stuff but if you continue to do it we'll kick you out!" Lets consider the suggestion of holding 20 or 30 torrents open. Well, firstly, you have to download them first which won't do your ratio any favours and secondly if only a handful of later joiners jump on some of these, you ratio will still suck. But the longer they are left open the more your ratio would improve, however, time needs to pass before that can happen so I suggest it is too early to have a membership cull.

Emilovious
04-11-08, 05:20 PM
"...so when I do log on there are 10-15 new shows with only seeders - how are you going to improve your ratio in those situations? "

Let me explain you how:
Let's go to the last page of the audio torrents list. That's the page consisting only of torrents posted 3 or 4 months ago in early January:

Studio 67 Highlights - 2 seeders - 1 leecher (384 MB large - chance of improving your ratio for 384/2 = 192 MBs

Germany '70 ATM 128-129 - 1 seeder - 1 leecher (686 MBs large torrent - chance of improving your ratio for 686/1 = 686 MBs

Mad About Hendrix - 1 seeder - 1 leecher ( 1.5 GBs large torrent - chance of improving your ratio for 1.5/1 = 1.5 GBs

On the last page there's 11 more torrents. Most of them have 2 or 3 seeders (ONLY ONE HAVE 4) without leechers at the moment. However, with a new member joining the site that can change in a second.
If you happen to have these torrents open in your torrent client that's a chance to improve your ratio. If you'd happened to have opened the above mentioned 3 torrents you could improve your ratio today by adding 192MB+686MB+1.5GBs=2.278 MB (2 GBs + 228 MBs) to your upload ratio!!
Is it possible? Yes, of course it is....

paul56
04-11-08, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the poll HF ~ I think when people realize what is expected they will work towards the goal.

I agree with Polipus, there is opportunity every day to improve your ratio, there are currently 4 shows with leechers and no seeders. If you had these shows you can jump on and seed these to improve your ratio. I think many of us go around weekly to see if we can help out anyone needing it. There are a number of shows with few seeders, if you have the show jump on and help seed, there is opportunity here every day to improve your ratio, and not only on new postings.

It's great to have more users and we all welcome them, come and take the shows ~ free ~ just try to give back a little is what everyone is saying. I think there were about ten or so of us who answered most of the requests that were asked, we like having new users around.

Realize that nothing was said here for the first several months, or until many of the new users had 10 to 50+GB and extremely low ratios (below .15). Many people here who have been doing this for quite a while realize that if you have a very slow connection and not a great deal of time to monitor it and downloaded 10GB you would still have close to .25 if you shared back. We can help you set-up your client to maximize your ratio.

Emilovious
04-12-08, 05:37 AM
Paul summarized it all excellently. Nothing to add.

P.S.
By the way, I'm really very happy to see the results of the poll. So many good and generous people around. Wonderful. Guys you're beautiful!

The-Gypsy
04-13-08, 02:08 AM
Hi fellows,

For me, it's hard to have a good ratio like I had on the ESC tracker, because at the moment, I'm not often at home during the week (and I can download only at home), so when I come back, there are a lot of new Jimi's stuffs that I want to download for my collection, that's why my ratio is so low.

The fact I'm late to download add a problem: because of I'm often the last to download, there's no more lechers, so i don't seed a lot!

But depsite my lack of time, I'm going to do my best to increase my ratio, because this tracker is wonderful to Jimi's fans and collectors like me.

The Earth Blues
04-13-08, 09:35 AM
My ratio is so low cause I just got here. I've downloaded 4 torrents, and are seeding them. Nobody has downloaded anything yet from those same torrent.

I voted to have no enforcement, but only until we get more members. Right now it's tough to judge if they have no awareness of the ratios or if they just don't care all.

ltte
04-15-08, 11:19 AM
Unfortunetly sooner or latter this issue come on every tracker.
If you are not in the first few that downloaded a show since we are a
small community there is not any chance to reach 1.00 ratio.
I would sugest that the users that already have ratio > 1.00 do not
start downloading promptly but wait that few other members finish first and help them improve their ratio.
The ratio of complete community is exaclty 1.00 and if the fastest
members here do not help others we will forever have this discution.

MourningStar
04-15-08, 11:49 AM
If you are not in the first few that downloaded a show since we are a
small community there is not any chance to reach 1.00 ratio.
This is just not true and it drives me crazy that this same excuse keeps surfacing. Many great suggestions have been provided. Just to re-suggest one : You can UPLOAD a show (now THAT would really be 'sharing'!).

pancho1111
04-15-08, 12:42 PM
The true color depends on the color of the crystal you are looking thru,
is not the same living in NY that living in Irak,
is not the same to win 3000 bucks a month than nothing,
is not the same a super broadband connection that a lousy 3rd world connection,
is not the same to be 15 years old than 60, etc, but... keep sharing..!

Hey, Gypsy boy, where do you plan to go to?
I’m gonna spread a lotta love-o-o-ove and-uh peace of mind too-oo

Emilovious
04-15-08, 01:40 PM
"...Many great suggestions have been provided. Just to re-suggest one : You can UPLOAD a show (now THAT would really be 'sharing'!)."

Hahaha, so true!

kcox5342
04-15-08, 02:26 PM
One of the people I've met through Hendrix-trading lives in Australia, and he tells me what the internet is like down there... for a while he was on dial-up and he'd occasionally grab torrents that way ("Yay! Only 24 hours left to go!")... but even with broadband, they have a maximum transfer limit (upload+download) per month (10-15GB if I remember right) and once you pass that your speeds get "shaped", IE you're going only a little faster than dial-up. So he's not the biggest fan of uploading a lot of data back...

So I think we should only ban people who abuse the system, people who hit and run and have no excuse when asked, people who don't understand the other rules, and who don't heed warnings. Other than that, tolerance is encouraged.

ltte
04-16-08, 10:46 AM
This is just not true and it drives me crazy that this same excuse keeps surfacing. Many great suggestions have been provided. Just to re-suggest one : You can UPLOAD a show (now THAT would really be 'sharing'!).
It is not an excuse it's reality.
If you are expecting that somebody stay open for months you are not
fair. You will not change my opinion since I stop uploading after two weeks of inactivity (0 byte upload). If somebody need a seed I'm always at disposal but suggesting users to be open for months just to reach something that you call decent ratio is not fair.
I repeat my call to the highest ratio owners to let us others become seeders before them and everything will be OK.

MourningStar
04-16-08, 11:16 AM
It is not an excuse it's reality.
If you are expecting that somebody stay open for months you are not
fair.You will not change my opinion since I stop uploading after two weeks of inactivity (0 byte upload). If somebody need a seed I'm always at disposal but suggesting users to be open for months just to reach something that you call decent ratio is not fair.
I repeat my call to the highest ratio owners to let us others become seeders before them and everything will be OK.
Are we having a communication breakdown? I repeat: UPLOAD A SHOW!

BBB
04-16-08, 05:04 PM
there have been some good suggestions here.....and personally, I think it sucks that we even have to address this.....to me, it kind of seems like the actions of a few are causing us to set rules for everybody....whatever they end up being.

however, IMO, if you are not contributing to the community in some way...ie..making an effort to give back....you are doing more harm than good. This whole torrent thing does not work very well unless everyone makes an effort to contribute.

I realize you can't leave torrents open for months.....i know i don't have the bandwidth for that....actually, I only keep a couple open at a time. But I do try to keep an eye on stuff that i have either seeded or downloaded and if I notice someone trying to download.....I go to the thread...open the torrent file up again and kick the seed back in. I also realize that if you jump on an older torrent, it can be very hard to get to a 1.0 on that torrent. Maybe you could make up the difference on another torrent.....whatever way admin decides to go....based on what the community wants....it will be your average ratio that will count...not the individual torrents.

Keep in mind folks that if you are making an effort to share, it will show in the stats. Once again, this community is based on sharing.....if you have limited bandwidth, you could always go old school and do the snail mail trading....we offer that here as well.

There have been some good suggestions here and I am sure everyone will be taken into consideration, should some kind of plan be put into place.

Bill

douchebagsden
04-18-08, 08:26 AM
I am in the process of putting togethar an ftp site so I can contribute back. I always leave my seeds open and I can never upload beyond 30kbps. I tried opening ports with the aid of a friend and still no luck.

But since the active portion of this commnunity is very small I am going to create this ftp server so more people can download these shows without having to worry about giving back right now. The important thing is to get the community to a position in which people have a nice network of people so the torrents can be uploaded after downloading. I leave for the day and the new torrent alread has 10 people completed with 1 leecher, pretty hard to contribute after that phase is done.

I never have uploading problems at dime or the traders den, but they have extensive communities where over a 100 people will jump on the same seed for the first day.

Emilovious
04-18-08, 12:22 PM
"...If you are expecting that somebody stay open for months you are not
fair..."

Ok, you say old torrents are inactive. First, that's not true. It's obvious that you never tried to keep a torrent active longer than a few days.
Second, let's say it's true. Torrent is inactive for one month. Why not keep it on your client's torrent list? Why you're removing it? It's not eating your bandwidth. Only active torrents do that. Consequently you can have 100 or more inactive torrents waiting in your client. Why not?
At the moment I have open 35 torrents ONLY in Crosstown torrents site (more than 100 counting other sites I participate in). Out of these 35, only 7 are active at the moment (uploading) and that's a lot!!. Not a single one is downloading (0). There are moments when NOT A SINGLE TORRENT IS ACTIVE. That's why you must have more torrents on hold. If you do what I've just described, if you ALWAYS have at least 20 or 30 torrents on hold (doesn't matter how old they are - many of my torrents were started in January and February), you MUST have a good ratio. If you seed only last 2 or 3 torrents you've downloaded, and nobody is downloading from you for two or three days - you do what? You remove them and you download another three and you wait again two or three days for a miracle to happen - then of course you must have 0.30 ratio.
Sorry, to have a good ratio it's not impossible task - it's your own responsibility. You're simply not trying hard enough.

Oh yes, one more thing. EVERYBODY have faster download speed than upload speed. Download is at least 3 times (in my case 8 times) faster than upload. I can't say exactly why is that so but that's how Internet works. What is the conclusion? YOU CAN'T BE DOWNLOADING THE SAME AMOUNT OF TIME AS YOU UPLOAD. That way you'd at least download 3 times as much you've uploaded and you will not be able to have better ratio than 0.33 (does this remind you of someone???). Anyway, you can't be downloading all the time and expect to have a good ratio. Don't be greedy. Upload a little. Try a little that feeling when you're giving something back. Believe me, it's a good feeling.

tWreCK
04-18-08, 12:40 PM
I could keep "old" torrents available but due to space constraints I have to eventually remove them and store on DVD or whatever. When I do that I check the filesets so they're complete and rename/organize them according to my own scheme and I also redo the txt files + make a new md5. After this is done I can't just jump back and seed an old torrent because the filesets aren't the same anymore and it's way too much work renaming etc just for the sake of seeding. I generally keep 'em going for a couple of days until most members have had the chance to dl and then I move them. In any case for me I just try to get on the new torrents as early as possible and seed whatever i can until they settle down.........

Emilovious
04-18-08, 12:54 PM
I understand twreck but If everyone would do the same as you're doing not a single old torrent would be available for new members. How do you suppose we resolve that? Since you have a respectable ratio I would advise you to choose two or three old torrents and seed them for a few months. You don't need to archive all torrents right away. Two or three can wait a few months don't they?. If every members would keep an eye on two or three old torrents all titles would be available for new members for a long long time.
Guys, don't think only of yourself. Sorry twreck, but your logic is typical.
It's selfish.

tWreCK
04-18-08, 01:10 PM
Of course there will always be members who will do what you are explaining - not everyone is as anal as I am about keeping everything organized and sorting :p If I see a request for a release that's not currently torrented here I'll of course upload it.........

Emilovious
04-18-08, 01:23 PM
TWRECK, I understand you perfectly. I re-name most of the torrents (99.99%),
rewrite the text files as well as make my own MD5 files because I always store music files and covers in separate folders (every folder must contain it's own MD5). I also can't archive the title without a cover. So if a torrent doesn't have a cover I make one. You know very well how time-consuming all that is as well as burning DVDs then properly storing them in dust-jackets, properly labeling them etc... Believe me I REALLY know everything about organizing, archiving and storing. However, as I wrote before, some titles can wait. Especially Jimi's titles
because he occupies a special place in my life. He's worth a few sacrifices, don't you think?

MourningStar
04-18-08, 03:41 PM
^^
I always archive my downloads to dvd w/o any changes asap. On inactive shows I will remove the .flac's for audio and the contents of the video_ts folder for dvds to free up my HD. This way should a request surface I merely drag the data back into the HD from disc and re-start the seed.I leave stuff on my client an average of 1-2 months. In that time frame many shows go inactive then spring to life repeatedly. These I've learned are very popular and most have been in my client over 6 months. I always keep at least one or two popular shows from each torrent site not just to help out but to increase my ratios as well.

As for all that organizing stuff. I burn the discs and print the covers as soon as I can so why should I even bother? I will confess I don't like many of the covers because I prefer mine to have photos from the actual event on them so I will either modify the existing ones or create new ones. These I will store in a separate folder. That is about the extent of my 'organization'.

Ganoosh
04-19-08, 01:06 PM
Hey guys while we're at it I might as well ask a noobish question.

How exactly are you guys archiving your stuff? Can you use imageburn? Do normal dvd'rs work fine?

MourningStar
04-19-08, 01:56 PM
I use Nero for archiving audio & video data to dvd-r and to burn audio cd's. I use Imageburn for dvd burns.

douchebagsden
04-20-08, 01:47 AM
damn, I am actually seeding now! I have no clue why, but before no seeds would come up for me to upload and I'd leave it on for a majority of the day.

Emilovious
04-21-08, 02:34 AM
For archiving I would advise you to use only "archival" grade Verbatim or any "scratch-proof" or "hard-coat protection" DVDs. They are more expensive and seem to be of the higher quality. However it's always wise to use several different brands if you're archiving something really important. Never rely solely on one DVD or brand.

kcox5342
04-25-08, 04:15 PM
I just had to double check my client as I saw seven individuals download the Baltimore upgrade torrent at the same time! That torrent is over three months old, but it just sprang to life this afternoon with only a couple seeds at first.

Also, if you're having trouble with seeding back, perhaps try a different torrent client for a while and see if that helps?

douchebagsden
04-25-08, 11:15 PM
got my ratio up to .24 and I've downloaded a ton of stuff, happy to see it moves up everyday. I am going to seed everything I download for a very long time, something you guys can count on for me.

daviddaniel
04-25-08, 11:55 PM
There's a lot of sites offering nice Jimi's music for free - meaning no ratio policy is enforced.
Yesterday I posted a link for the "Box Of Gypsys RevA" torrent. Someone with low ratio can download that torrent and upload it here.

I'm new here I have this file I'll try to upload it today when I have looked up the way to do it; Meanwhile I ' ll leave what I download alive;

Thanks

ltte
04-26-08, 06:28 AM
"...If you are expecting that somebody stay open for months you are not
fair..."

Ok, you say old torrents are inactive. First, that's not true. It's obvious that you never tried to keep a torrent active longer than a few days.
Second, let's say it's true. Torrent is inactive for one month. Why not keep it on your client's torrent list? Why you're removing it? It's not eating your bandwidth. Only active torrents do that. Consequently you can have 100 or more inactive torrents waiting in your client. Why not?
At the moment I have open 35 torrents ONLY in Crosstown torrents site (more than 100 counting other sites I participate in). Out of these 35, only 7 are active at the moment (uploading) and that's a lot!!. Not a single one is downloading (0). There are moments when NOT A SINGLE TORRENT IS ACTIVE. That's why you must have more torrents on hold. If you do what I've just described, if you ALWAYS have at least 20 or 30 torrents on hold (doesn't matter how old they are - many of my torrents were started in January and February), you MUST have a good ratio. If you seed only last 2 or 3 torrents you've downloaded, and nobody is downloading from you for two or three days - you do what? You remove them and you download another three and you wait again two or three days for a miracle to happen - then of course you must have 0.30 ratio.
Sorry, to have a good ratio it's not impossible task - it's your own responsibility. You're simply not trying hard enough.

Oh yes, one more thing. EVERYBODY have faster download speed than upload speed. Download is at least 3 times (in my case 8 times) faster than upload. I can't say exactly why is that so but that's how Internet works. What is the conclusion? YOU CAN'T BE DOWNLOADING THE SAME AMOUNT OF TIME AS YOU UPLOAD. That way you'd at least download 3 times as much you've uploaded and you will not be able to have better ratio than 0.33 (does this remind you of someone???). Anyway, you can't be downloading all the time and expect to have a good ratio. Don't be greedy. Upload a little. Try a little that feeling when you're giving something back. Believe me, it's a good feeling.

No I said that torrent that I downloaded are inactive for weeks. I
downloaded only four torrents till now and every single was active
minimum one month. I very apreciate everything that you are doing for
this community but please let us with the lower ratio becomming seeders
before you with high ratio. That's would give us an oportunity to upgrade
our ratio.

douchebagsden
04-30-08, 06:25 PM
i'm at .31, do you get punished if your ratio goes up all the time but still hasn't reached the desired .50 you guys set? I am leaving everything open and there doesn't seem to be that many seeders, especially with some of the older stuff I grabbed off the tracker.

BBB
04-30-08, 09:02 PM
i'm at .31, do you get punished if your ratio goes up all the time but still hasn't reached the desired .50 you guys set? I am leaving everything open and there doesn't seem to be that many seeders, especially with some of the older stuff I grabbed off the tracker.

i don't think anything has been has been decided for sure at this point....

douchebagsden
05-01-08, 10:17 AM
great, cause I got a good week before I hit the .50 mark, I'm at .33 today, yeah! (I know, sad, but I can't always keep my computer on these days, it's in the overheating stages, but when I get my new comp in a few months things are going to be gravy)

Grapost
10-09-08, 12:37 PM
People come here because they love Jimi. You guys have a lot of material these people want, so they download. If you are unfortunate to be one of the last downloaders, your ratio will suffer. I have seen stuff hit the tracker and get downloaded by most members and by the time I log on there's just seeders. The people who join the site to get shows have little or nothing, in all probability, to upload so they are on a hiding to nothing. Don't get me wrong, I dislike those who download and run but that may not necessarily be the reason why there's a lot of low ratios.

I agree with you. There are alot of NEW YOUNG Hendrix fans who have nothing to share. They come here and it's like a kid in a candy store and they gorge themselves.

And what if all the stuff you have has already been uploaded? Then those people have nothing to share either. So they shouldn't download anything either?

Also uploading is more complex than downloading. Bit rates, uncompatible audio formats, lineage, compression uncompression, seeding, MD5 files, etc. I'm still trying to figure out all this stuff. NOT EVERYBODY is a technical wiz like alot of the members here.

It seems to be that the sites that have share ratios are NOT interested in really sharing as they claim. They're actions are more like RATIONING to those who behavior is according to the standards they set. "Now you've been doing too much of that, so you're a bad member and we'll have to ban you." Nice policy. You can only have as much as we'll allow you to have.

The attitude of the techies is to condemn and find fault with anybody who doesn't follow their "snobby" set of rules. They're like the people you work with, always minding somebody else's business instead of their own. And complain and rat you out to the boss over every little thing you do that they don't like.

You guys need to lighten up a bit and be more user friendly!

MourningStar
10-09-08, 02:25 PM
^ Hmmm, ... interesting.

Some sites have a donation system that reciprocates with the award of GB's and Karma points (although, I have no idea whatsoever just what 'Karma Points' are).