I swear The Moon turned a fire re-ed, Lord, have mercy
Well, my poor mother cried out, “Lord, the Gypsy was right”
And I seen her fell down right dea-ead, have mercy on me Jesus

Well, mountain-lions found me there waiting
And set me on a eagle’s ba-ack, oh, Lord, have mercy
Well, mountain lions found me there
And set me on a eagle’s wi-ing, (Yeah)
It’s the eagle’s wing, baby, what’d I say
Well-ah, he took me past to the outskirts of infinity (Go ahead on)
And when he brought me back
He gave me Venus’ witch’s ri-ing
Hey!
And he said fly-y o-on, fly on
‘Cause I’m a, Voodoo chi-ile, baby, Voodoo chi-ile, hey yeah

Yeah…Well I, make love to you-ou
And, Lord knows, you’ll feel no pai-ain, yea-eah
‘Said I make love to you in your slee-eep1
And, Lord knows, you felt no pai-ain, have mercy
‘Cause I’m a million miles awa-ay1
And at the same time I’m right here in your picture frame1
Yeah-eah, what’d I say now
‘Cause I’m a Voodoo chi-ile, Lord kno-ows, I’m a, Voodoo chi-ile...yeah

[Solo]

(Hey-ey)...yeah, (yeah all right), yeah, turn on mama, turn on...yeah all right (Excellent, I’m not insane, man) Yeah, don’t they all feel the same to you ha...yea-eah

Yeah, ha-ha-ha, well, my arrows are made of desire-re
From far away as Jupiter’s sulphur mi-ines
Said my arrows are made of desire (desire)
From far away as Jupiter sulphur mi-ine
Way down by the methane sea, ha-ha, yeah (methane sea)
I have a humming bird and it hums so lou-oud
You’d think you were-uh losing your mi-ind, hmm......

Yeah, yeah...
(Jimi, by fuck)

[Drum solo]

…that’s nice. Ooh-yeah, all right, far out, yeah, ooh...let’s get a drink wooh!
Ask him if he’s gettin’ some…)
(yeah, more, more, more)
We don’t need a witness it was good
(Turn it off)
Turn that down, gettin’ her down
(Ha-ha-ha, hee-hee-hee, ha-ha-ha, see if you can sort something out here. F++kin’ hell man...yeah, yeah)
(Here we go, here we go...meet me inside ‘cause I don’t know what’s happening, sing it, whatever, yak-yak-yak)

Well, I float in liquid gardens
In Arizona new red sa-a-ands
Yeah
I float in liquid garde-ens
Way down in Arizona new red sa-a-and
I heard about you, baby (What you heard….?)
Well, I taste the honey from a flower2 named Blue
Way down in California
And-uh New York drowns as we held hands3, yeah
Hey, ‘cause I’m a Voodoo chi-ile
Lord knows, I’m a Voodoo chi-ile (child rage) Yeah...oh
...Yeah, hey, yeah, hey!...hey...

1Jimi having fun here with the teenage girl fan’s poster of him on her wall and her dreaming of him making
love to her;-)
2Girl
3 Yet another of Jimi’s apocalyptic, Book of the Hopi /Age of Aquarius images

CHAT AT THE END (Jimi in italics, having a laugh with the stoned, ie ‘short term memory loss’, guy)

Yeah. Woo, wow, yeah, Yeah, Come on Eric. come on Eric. Economy, Hey man you all was really out-a-site. That was really out-a-sight. Yeah, it’s beautiful. Where’s everybody goin’. That’s it? What time is it There’s a house up the street. Absolutely so discreet. (Just don’t have the time anymore. What time is it, Did you get your pipe man, did you get your pipe. Yeah I got it, I got it) Did you get that address, man. Come on man you don’t have it, you’re so stoned man. (Wait a minute, wait a minute where’s my coat, where’s my coat, now where’s my...I can’t find my pipe, where are my matches.) I’m completely out of my mind. F++kin’ hippy, I’m hung up, man, I can’t make it (Wait a minute where’s my briefcase, just a minute where’s the, where’s the briefcase, there it is, it’s over there, I got it, I got it, it’s okay, I got it) Let’s take a taxi. Ha-ha-ha. Oh I know that, I’m inspired ayee-eee. (Where’s my coat, I got my coat, okay). I think it’s about that time, come on, come on y’all, it’s about that time. Got the bleach. You got a dollar man? You mean there’s no more drinks, man. Oh that’s to bad, get me a drink baby. Oh the bars closed. Hey.

Yeah, yeah, Hey man, hey. Yeah what’s happenin’ (Right, right ) Hey thanks a lot, we already have. (More, more, more) Could you play solo. Let’s play another song (More, more, more) Hey man what’s happenin’ later on, what’s happenin’, what’s happenin’, later on I tell you what let’s go up, let’s go up to-uh what you call it, let’s go. ‘Scene’? ‘Generation’ or something? No, no, let’s go s-ask, you know. (Don’t ask me boy) Let’s go to ‘The Grass Roots’. Yeah come on, man, let’s go over there…. Yeah that was out-o’-sight man, that was really out-o‘-sight, you know a total scene man. Anyone enjoyed it? Groovy. See you. Sure enough y’all. Hang loose. Bye-ee. Everybody’s patient Bye-ee… Oh… Ooh… John that’s groovy. Take a cab, take a bus, take a train, take a trip ha-ha.

EXTRA CHAT:

Hey, man, yeah. Psychedelic, man, yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Woo, woa, yeah, Right on. Yeah, Come on, man, come on. Economy, Hey, man, you all was really out-o’-site. That was really out-o’-sight. Yeah it’s
beautiful. Where’s everybody goin’. That’s it? What time is it? There’s a house up the street. Absolutely so discreet. (Just don’t have the time anymore. What time is it, Did you get your pipe man, did you get your pipe. Yeah I got it, I got it) Did you get that address man. Come on man you don’t have it, you’re so stoned man. (Wait a minute, wait a minute where’s my coat, where’s my coat, now where’s my...I can’t find my pipe, where are my matches.) I’m completely out of my mind. F++kin’ hippy, (Wait a minute where’s my briefcase, just a minute where’s the, where’s the briefcase, there it is, it’s over there, I got it, I got it, it’s okay, I got it) Let’s take a taxi. Ha-ha-ha. Oh I know that, I’m inspired ayee-eee. (Where’s my coat, I got my coat, okay). I think it’s about that time, come on, come on y’all, it’s about that time. F++kin’ bleach. You got a dollar man? You mean there’s no more drinks, man. Oh that’s to bad, get me a drink baby. Oh, the bars closed. Hey. Oh, yeah, baby, it already f++king happened. The bar couldn’t be closed, it couldn’t be. On, no, it’s early. Sorry it’s closed. It’s early. Everybody out. Come on everybody he wants to close now. Oh, come on. Everybody out. Come on, everybody out.

VOODOO CHILE

Official lyric as supplied by Bella Godiva (that is as interpreted by Michael Jeffery’s assistant Kathy Eberth) to A. Schroeder Music Publishing Co. Ltd. London for their published ‘Electric Ladyland’ song book.
© 1968 Bella Godiva c/o Arch Music Co. Inc. A division of A. Schroeder Music Publishing Co. Ltd. London

Well, I’m a Voodoo Chile,
Lord, I’m a Voodoo Chile.
Well, the night I was born
Lord I swear the moon turned a fire red.
The night I was born I swear the moon turned a fire red.
My poor mother cried out “Lord the gypsy was right!”
And I see her fell down right dead.

Mountain lions found me there waitin’, they set me on an eagle’s back.
Mountain lions found me there, and set me on an eagle’s wings.
He took me past the outskirts of infinity;
And when he brought me back, he gave me Venus witch’s ring.
And he said “Fly on, fly on!” ‘cause I’m a Voodoo Chile, Voodoo Chile.

Well, I make love to you,
And Lord knows you felt no pain.
Well, I make love to you in your sleep
And God knows, you felt no pain.
‘Cause I’m a million miles away
And at the same time, I’m right there inside your picture frame.
‘Cause I’m a Voodoo Chile, Lord knows, I’m a Voo-doo Chile, Babe…

My arrows are made of desires
From far away as Jupiter sulphur mines.
I say my arrows are made of desires,
Desires from far away as Jupiter sulphur mines.
(Way down by the methane sea)
I have a humming bird that hums so loud
You think you were losing your mind.

In Arizona’s new red sands.
Way down in Arizona’s new red sands.
Well I taste the honey from a flower named Blue way down in California…
And New York drowns as we held hands.
‘Cause I’m a Voodoo Chile,
Lord knows, I’m a Voodoo Chile, Babe.