PDA

View Full Version : 67-07-18, NEW YORK CITY, WARWICK HOTEL, INTERVIEW

stplsd
01-20-18, 01:45 PM
Tuesday 18 July 1967
New York City, Warwick Hotel, 65 W. 54th Street, New York, USA
The end of Jimi's brief tour with the Monkees. Following the 5 days of devastating rioting that broke out in nearby Newark on the 12th (House Burning Down?)

Dan Poulson interview for (probably) Hitparade. Possibly others?.

Jimi: …means you can always hear the guitar of the group
Dan: What do… they call it?
Jimi: They’re called, you know, they’re Marshall’s
Dan: A group?
Jimi: Yeah, been practicin’ the group about four hours, playin’ and just jammin’, you know
Dan: A-ha… I had heard that-uh, while you were here in New York, uh-you carried a guitar
around with you quite often, just in case you ran into a jam session
Jimi: Yeah, hah-I always do that, don’t I
Dan: Uh-did you find any?
Jimi: Oh, you mean since I’ve been here?
Dan: Yeah
Jimi: Yeah, the police came and broke it up
Dan: Oh, shit
Jimi: It was down on twenty sss.. where was it? Down on twenty ninth. Oh, no it’s down on
twenty sixth stree’, ah, twenty sixth street. The police came later on
Dan: Ah…
Jimi: It was…
Dan: Any musicians trying for reputation, or just guys who’d known you before?
Jimi: Or with some friends, you know. Apart from little Charlie ha-ha no, he was always
welcome, but…
Dan: Yeah, ahmm. Do you think if you had, sort of, presented the same kind of act that you
did in England, over here in America, it would have had as much impact?
Jimi: Probably so. What we was doin’ in ‘The Village’, like-uh, we was just-uh, you know, we
was just-uh, like, playing just to survive, you know, we didn’t have time to look around
an’, you know, try to get nice little gigs an’ whatever, and before that I was playin’
behind other people, so I wasn’t really tryin’ an’, you know, an’ t-to do anything…you
know
Dan: O-oh, what sort of, you know, gave you the idea for going out on your own the way you
did?
Jimi: Well, I don’t know, you just get tired after a while an’, you know, [cough] you just get
tired of playin’ in the background all the time
Dan: What’s the reaction been so far? An’ have you, have you uh-done The Monkees
concerts yet? Were you doin’ any…
Jimi: Yeah, we did about f-five of them on the bus..
Dan: uh-mmm
Jimi: … I guess about seven of them now, I guess
Dan: Uh-huh, what kind of reaction has there been?
Jimi: Oh, it’s just, you know…jus’…sometimes they don’t wanna know, sometimes they do,
it’s, it’s all right though, you know, it’s just, we’re just being exposed right now
Jimi: The only thing of, of that is, is they-they don’t advertise nobody but The Monkees…
Dan: I Don’…
Jimi…an-uh, like, they don’t even know that you’re gonna be on the show unless-ah…
Dan: Uh-huh
Jmi: …you know, they come to the gig right then and see you
Dan: Oh
Jimi: Which is a very, very bad scene I think, you know
Dan: Yeah…then it’s
Jim: How are they ever to see us, unless you’re on, you know
Jimi: Regardless of who, whose tour it is, you know
Dan: Oh, right, yeah, I think the other people on the bill deserve some credit too.
Jimi: Yeah, they should just at least even mention the names of, you know, it only takes about
a third of second to say somebody’s name
Dan: Right…Well, uh, I know you-your performance at Monterey, uh, with setting the guitar on
fire and everything, uh, what, what is it, is that, sort of, sh’, use that as sort of
showmanship, or is it-uh, something that you’re trying to express, that you can’t deal
with the music, or..
Jimi: No, no, not necessarily, no we’re just, I just happened to do it then, I did it twice, you
know, so fuckin’ what
Dan: The first time it happened, wasn’t it accidentally...
Jimi: Hmmm
Dan: …the guitar goin’ on fire?
Jimi: Yeah
Dan: That doesn’t sound, those things of age, there’s a, an account uh, you know, aah
Jimi: What have you done
Dan: Jim, I’m [cut]…
Jimi: …Girl
Dan: Short hair, you know, runs around a lot on the Pop scene
Jimi: She’s, she’s my sweet girl
Jimi: She did [….?], uh, she’s a virgin, like
Dan: Right
Jimi: Want some of that?
Jimi: She wanted to hit the gravy train?
Dan: That’s right, she quoted you with guitar, you know….but it still wasn’t [cut] …

NOEL INTERVIEW:

Dan : …an’-uh, are you Noel?
Noel: Yeah…
Dan : Right
Noel: …[I was fakin’ though?]
Dan : Ah, briefly, just, could you give a little bit about your background? an’-uh music as far
as-um, what you, sort of, grew up listening to and what impressed you
Noel: Well, I thought we were professional when I was sixteen, I was always playing guitar
before this group …
Dan : Mh-hmm
Noel: … and-um, I was in Germany a lot, working on the continent, I was just playing, I
suppose you would call it Pop, ours was a pop group an’ I was in another group, we
made three records, we never made it and I was very broke last year huh
Dan : Yeah
Noel: And-um I got the job with Jimi
Dan : How did you-ah meet Jimi an-uh you get the job
Noel: Well, I was wandering around London and I heard there was an audition for the New
Animals you see an’ I went down there an’ I had my guitar with me an’ about ten
shillings ha-ha-ha and-um I was sittin’ plunkin’ around an’ Chas the manager said to me
“Can you play bass” I said ”No” ha-ha He said ”Do want to have a go” I said “Yeah,
well, I’ll try” So I tried it and it worked out
Dan : Did you have any trouble switching over from guitar to bass
Noel: No, none at all, nothing at all, no
Dan : Do you find that being a guitar player makes you a better bass player
Noel: Oh it’s much easier, I think, ‘cause you’re thinking of guitar and bass, aren’t you? that
way. It’s just much easier
Dan : Do you find yourself playing melody with the bass, at all?
Noel: Yeah, I find I play more guitar like, I think, everybody tells me so, only you-you’ve got a
better feeling of rhythms and things…
Dan : Umh-hmm
Noel: …if you come from the guitar. So, wahoo

BACK TO JIMI:

Dan: One thing’s [encouraging that LP’s?]. Do you have any idea what the, kind of, group’s
goin’ in?
Jimi: Just about a year, we have an m’, reason why I wouldn’t, like, couldn’t-body else, you
know, like
Dan: Hmm
Jimi: Didn’t have too much feeling for workin’ on a toon like that, you know
Dan: Mh
Jimi: ‘Cause all the organ players, to me, just, they all do the same things, you know
Jimi: And so
Dan: Ha-have you heard the-the-g’-uh guy who plays for The Doors?
Jimi: Yeah, I heard him, I don’t know what everybody’s s-screamin’ about, you know huh-
huh…
Dan: No heh-heh
Jimi: …kind o’ sounds like an organ player to me, just like any
Dan: Mh-hmm
Jimi: They got some organ players in England, you know, that’s really good, they got a cat
named Brian Auger, who’s just out o’ sight, you know, when it comes to organ
Dan: Ah-mm, go ahead, you dec’-ahm, decided on a trio, or was it just, sort of, the musicians
that were available this year,…
Jimi: Well, yeah, that’s…
Dan: …the best combination?
Jimi: No, it was more like, I want, you know, it was more like a trio thing, because-uh, you
know, ‘cause, in that case we would have brought the other cat’s over, you know
Dan: Mh-hm
Jimi: But
Dan: What, [low design?] maybe
Jimi: Yeah, but it was, we just wanted, like, a trio, the smallest number possible
Dan: Mh-hm…Why-why the smallest number of..?
Jimi: I don’t know, you know, so you won’t get in each others way
Noel?: Ha-ha-ha
Dan: Relax, yeah
Jimi: ‘Cause as loud as we play, you know, we play very, very loud
Jimi: And if you had any more instruments and you didn’t add ‘em up for right, you know, they
would have been distorted, but this was solid for this ordinary loud band

OVER TO MITCH:

Dan : Mh-hm. Ah, when you first started playing together, what was some of the numbers,
ah, you did?
Noel : I just can’t think
Mitch: Well, they were all, all mainly original material, you know, it’s some time when we were,
sort of, rehearsing, you know
Dan : Mh-hm
Mitch: I’m not doing most of the writing, Jimi was apparently though, uh, we sort of as well,
but, like, through, through, through working together and Noel’s writes, Noel’s got a
song, maybe for the next eh, piece from us, next album and I’ve started writing now as
well, you know
Dan : Uh-hm
Mitch: We did a few Dylan things, but it was mainly original stuff, you know
Mitch: And now we find that [wall?] is…let’s see, ninety nine percent is original material
Dan : Mh-hm. Did you find that you all, sort of, had the same feeling for music, when you got
together? that-uh…
Mitch: Well, it takes…
Dan : Were there any conflicting ideas that you had to work out?
Mitch: Oh, yeah, but, like, not a much as we thought, because, like, when Jimi arrived in
England he was very hung up in his own bag, he liked [our sound?]... blues singing
Mitch: An’ I wasn’t, I wasn’t prepared for that, ‘cause that didn’t happen in my original stuff, as
you said
Dan : What was your background in music before you joined Jimi?
Mitch: Ah, I was working with a band in England called Georgie Fame And The Blue Flames
Dan : Oh, yeah, I-uh
Mitch: And-uh, I was getting very out of the sort of the jazz, pseudo jazz
Dan : Yeah, I saw him at the, The Marquee when he did things with a jazz band
Mitch: Oh, and Larry South
Dan : Right, yeah
Mitch: All right, yeah, you know, I just wrote stuff for the LP
Mitch: But, like, an’ I’ve got like, you know, I-I liked that, but it was sort off, even though I like
that sort of music, it’s-i-it’s not doing anything that hasn’t been done before
Mitch: You know…an’ I always thought it was time to sort of find a new, something new to do
Mitch: And I’d always worked with, sort of, brass as well, you know
Mitch: All right, when Ji-when we got together with Jimi, working as a three piece I was
prejudiced, I didn’t, I didn’t want it to be a [(cut) three pi]ece, you know
Mitch: My immediate thing was, sort of…
Dan : What, did you feel loud?...
Mitch: …oh, get a Hammond, get a Hammond organ in
Dan : A-ask you about…
Mitch: …an’ then maybe something’d happen, but really now, you know, I-I couldn’t possibly
think of adding anybody else, you know, really
Dan : What would you say - a-as the drummer - your function in the group is?
Mitch: Well it’s not as a time keeper anymore
Dan : Ah-ha
Mitch: It’s like, it’s, it’s a very free thing, it’s like, on the, sort of, free form jazz thing, it’s, this is
the only comparison I can make
Dan : Mh-hm…yeah
Mitch: Like, the bass player plays, is-is the anchor man, more so than the drummer, like
they’ve reversed roles and the drummer’s got to, got to have time, but, like, working
with a three piece group you’ve got to over-play to a certain extent
Mitch: Really, possibly, I don’t play with as much taste as I should do, but you find when you
go and work with another band, after working with a three piece, because you’ve got to
play so much in a three piece, you quieten down
Mitch: Like, if I go and play with brass now, you quieten down and you listen to other people,
more so
Mitch: Whereas working, you know, with Jimi and especially with the volume
Dan : Yeah I think you play…
Mitch: You’ve got to play SO loud, man
Dan : Yeah. uh-Is anybody coming out with anything to amplify drums? You know
Mitch: Yeah, I-I’ve, I’ve tried. I-in England there’s a few cat’s that have tried it. It’s very difficult
man, because, I-I, there’s people that say if you shove contact mic’s inside drums an’
this thing. I don’t believe in all this, you know
Mitch: I mean, you, apparently I’m loud anyway
Mitch: I’d like to amplify them if I could get, you know, a decent sound
Mitch: But, man, every time I try it, I’ve tried it a few times, you know, the old, with mic’s and
it’s always been, you know, very tinny an’-and the reproduction…
Mitch:… hasn’t been anything like drums…
Mitch: … sort of, like a lot of old tin cans
Dan : Mh-hm. Uh are you doing any kind of Jazz drumming in the group now
Mitch: Well, no, man, you-you play what you feel, really, see, even now on stage Jimi’s still
playing his bag and Noel’s still playing his little Rock and Roll bit there
Dan : Ah-hah
Mitch: An’-an’ maybe I’m still playing what I feel, you know
Mitch: But really it’s three kinds of music, this is why we don’t wanna be, you know,
categorised
Mitch: It’s three kinds of music and it makes, it makes the sound that we’ve got
Dan : Ah-hah, yeah.

BACK TO JIMI:

Dan: Okay Jimi has your playing changed as it [does?] with Noel and Mitch?
Jimi: Not exactly so, you know, but it, it was about the same, ‘cause, you know, I like Blues
and all that, I don’t necessarily-uh, you know, always play that with your groups. It’s all
right it change every time you write a new song though, you know
Dan: Yeah, uh. Do you feel that being, you know, living in England and being over there has
had any change on ah, on you music, on the-uh, the way you write, or the way you play,
or just your attitude
Jimi: I don’t know, I don’t think so, I’m, I’m not sure if we, you know, like, as I said before, you
change every time you write a new song, if you want it to be regardless of where you
are, you know, do want it to sound differently, you just change, all depends on how you
feel at a particular time
Dan: Yeah, ah. Out of the songs you have written which is your favourite?
Jimi: Oh I don’t know, it’s hard to say ‘cause you have different feelings for different songs,
you know, I like to play Purple Stage on ah, I like…
Dan: Which one? Pardon.
Jimi: Tuh, I don’ know. I said I like to play Purple S-uh
Dan: Purple Haze
Jimi: Purple Haze on stage
Jimi: But I like the new one, it’s one we just wrote for our next single [Burning of The Midnight
Lamp] I think I like that now, you know
Dan: Oh, what’s the title?
Jimi: Oh, we’re not allowed to say it yet, no.
Dan: Ah, okay, all right
Jimi: [no time apart?]
Dan: Ah. Is there any plans to go south [of the waist?] of this country
Noel?: Yeah everyone was [calling us criminals?]
Jimi: In July we’re gonna be there for like [judge?]
? : [Coke gone?]

MITCH AGAIN:

Mitch: No, I’m sorry, couldn’t…You change so much man, like, y-you know, you different
rooms every day an’ each time you go on stage, even if you might play the same
numbers, for heaven’s sake, at least you might feel different
Dan : Uh, you know, so there’s a lot of improvisation then, right
Mitch: You know, this is three different people, man, an’ you play what you feel that night, it’s
not a planned thing
Mitch: It’s like when we go to record, you know, there’s loads of groups that, sort of, go away
and they get a little number and they rehearse it for weeks and weeks and they look
forward to going to the recording studio and it, they might put it down further than we
can, man, but there’s no feeling to that, you know, it’s not natural…
Mitch: … it’s too perfect, whereas we go in the studio and we, we get together what we can
and often, quite often, man, there’s goofs on that record
Mitch: But look, it’s a natural thing isn’t it?
Mitch: Because you make, you make goofs on stage
Mitch: So, you know, why shouldn’t you do it on record
Mitch: Providing it’s a natural feeling
Dan : Right, ah. Do you think this is a-there’s a lot more of this improvisation coming into Pop
music now, that-uh it’s no longer, you know, a rigid thing the way it used to be, that-uh
somebody writes a little song and once it’s, you know, they write the song and that’s
the way it is and it never changes
Mitch: Don’ know about improvisation, I suppose you could call it that, you know
Dan : Creative hmm
Mitch: I think it’s just that people are being more aware, people are opening their ears a lot
actually. They’re using their imaginations, you know, instead of ah, before there was so
many people, like, they used to wri’-do it exactly as the writer had originally put it down,
when they’ve got no imagination of their own
Mitch: Now at last there’s a few people
Mitch: There still is a few people
Dan : Yeah. Okay Jimi, ahm. When you took feedback to America for the Monterey festival
was there anything about the music the American groups were doing that had
surprised you since you’ve been away, either a surprise or impressed you

JIMI AGAIN:

Jimi: Well, like, as far as I think, it’s goin’ more on history now, you know an’-uh all the groups
that was, that I Iike, I used to like, man, you know. I didn’t, never did hear too much
about ‘em anymore, in other words it’s a different scene, like, I used to like groups like
The Young Rascals, you know.
Jimi: And-uh hard hitting groups like that, but the West Coast groups here are very, very
sweet type, you know
Jimi: And that surprised me ‘cause coming from that area, seem like they’d be-ah a g-gettin’
harder and funky
Dan: Even like, say The Grateful Dead?
Jimi: Ah, yes, you know-uh, after hearin’ their-uh, album, you know, it sounds very-uh, it’s all
on the same level, like, you know
Jimi: Like the, whose? whose? what’s this say? Holding Company’s very groovy, I like them
Dan: Yes
Jimi: There’s-uh good ol’ Ja’…
Dan: Janice Joplin
Jimi: Like to hear her sing…see, they can get nice and pretty if they want, then they can
really, ah, you know, bring it out really, ah, loud if they want it to, but the average group
mess. There’s one girl group I heard out there named The ‘Daisy’ [sic, 'Dixie'] Cups
or something like that and they is really goof, no, they is really good, I like them [some
one starts very loud repeated coughing]. That’s really nice.
Dan: Did you do much jamming out at Monterey?
Jimi: Well, not necessarily Monterey, it was more like around Los Angeles
Dan:
Jimi: I only jammed about two times in Monterey
Dan: Did you jam with any people from any of the top groups?
Jimi: Yeah, we, it was-uh after the festival closed, we-uh, it was with some of The Grateful
Dead and-uh, I can remember now, you know, so, ha-a lot of cats and we jammed for
about four hours straight ha-ha-ha…
Dan: Yeah all right
Jimi: … without stoppin’ at all, you know, just changing instruments…
Dan: Ah-ha
Jimi:… as the song kept on going, without stopping
Dan: Hm, ah. Do you think that, you know, that this is, a lot of this is happening now,
obviously, sort of, musicians getting together and jam, like they used to do in jazz
Jimi: Yeah, it’s gettin’ a little better, yeah, it’s gettin’ as a thing like this, right, you know, like
The Beatles on the-uh Stones session…
Jimi: …everybody listens to-ah, you know, The Stones on The Beatles session
Jimi: ‘Cause like it, in Malibu, you know we-uh, we was goin’ out playin’ a jam sometimes,
like-uh, with Buddy Miles, The Electric Flag, you know
Jimi: And David Crosby and Steve Stills, Steve Stills is down here now, he came-huh over,
way over here just to jam ha-ha-huh
Dan: Ah-huh
Jimi: He brought about a thousand guitars with him
Dan: Ha-ha-ha
Jimi: And-uh, he’s runnin’ around with, probably this very minute lookin’ for some, some place
to-ha-ha jam at now
Dan: Ha-ha
Jimi: Yeah, man, it’s really out of sight, dig it
Dan: Yeah, I think it-it’s, it’s a good thing when, you know, musicians can together and, sort
of…
Dan: …exchange ideas and things… duh …uh-Do you see any direction that the, the music
scene in England is, is heading toward
Jimi: Well, it’s, it’s definitely, you know, it’s getting’ very, it’s getting’ better and better quality,
you know.
Jimi: Than what it used to be, you know, like and-uh, I-I, I don’t know, man, I think I’ve, some
of the bands over there I like better than-uh some of the West Coast bands, well…
Dan: Who were some of the groups in England that, that have impressed you?
Jimi: Oh, let’s see, they got The Family – this is my own opinions, right, you know…
Dan: Right, yeah
Jimi: …they got this group The Family; I like the Procul Harum…
Jimi: … ‘cause I’ve seen a lot of their gigs, you know, I don’t go by, for what, how they move
around, I just go by the sound I hear, you know
Jimi: And Denny Lane has a very good group together, what is it, Brian Auger, they play
ecllixent…
Dan: Excellent
Jimi: … you know, sort of, top forty R&B group, but they is, you know, they’re really together
though
Dan: Mh-hmm. I-I was at the-um, at the, Procul Harum [noise] …
Jimi: You just pay to sit down and relax and dig the song and the set, it’s like Donovan, let’s
get something changed
Jimi: Nobody has complained about that. Everybody don’t have to do a circus act, you know,
you have, you should take a person’s act for what it is right then, you know
Jimi: Not comparin’ it, everybody always wants to compare all the time, which is-uh nothin’ but
the fattest drag in this whole scene…
Jimi:… besides this word ‘Pop’ huh
Jimi?: This rug’s a mess […?]
Dan : You know, it’s not my rug, it’s the ash that’s been dropped all over the place
Mitch?: Hey, what’s the drag man?
Dan: Oh, ah, oh-hah…um. Now what to yourself, with your own, kind of, plans now
Jimi: Ahm
Dan: Would you like eventually come back to America, are you quite happy…
Jimi: Oh, but definitely
Dan:…with living in boring England
Jimi: Come on, not necessarily, I like, man, I like for us to happen all over the world, but-uh
not necessarily livin’ in England though, you know, ‘cause I get very, very restless
wherever I might visit, you know, very, very restless, you know, an’ I, I don’t like to stay
in one place too long, I don’t want to live in one place too long, or else it really bugs me,
or drags me down, regardless of, you know what’s, what’s happenin’ there, like, I like,
like England’s one of the longest, one of the-uh, you know, I-I lived there for a very long
time
Dan: Much longer than you have-uh than any place else, correct?
Jimi: Yeah, almost, except New York, you know, I
Dan: How does London compare with New York City?
Jimi: I don’t know, it’s so, the traffic is a boom, slightly more confused, you know, freak out
Dan: Here in New York, or in London?
Jimi: In ah, in London, but, but the styles, the clothes over there is a little more, better, you
know, it’s better, everybody has a better sense of dressing and things and-uh …
Dan: Sure
Jimi: … they have a little more open minds, they’re more, and they’re more friendlier than
here in New York, New York is a very, one of the coldest cities in The World, but, that
I’ve seen, New York and Paris an’ I hated Paris huh
Noel : No
Don?: No?
Noel?: No
Don?: Hope it’s not trouble
? : It’s nothin’
Don : How about, do the kids over in Europe pretty much like the same kind of music
though?
Mitch: Eh, sorry, I, I haven’t catched the question
Don : Yeah, did the kids all over in Europe like pretty much the same kind of music?
Mitch: Oh, yeah, it varies for ‘em, like, you know, you, you get, like the little Monkees fans…
Don : Yeah
Mitch: … little eight year old kids all over The World, you know…
Don : Mh-hm
Mitch: It was Sweden’s been good for us, you know
Don : Yeah
Mitch: We. Well, we got a very good seat in Scandinavia. But ..and, you know