PDA

View Full Version : 67-08-24, LONDON, BBC TV, 'TOP OF THE POPS'

stplsd
01-20-18, 01:54 PM
Thursday 24 August 1967
London, BBC Studios (now demolished), Lime Grove, Hammersmith, England
For the BBC 1 TV program ‘Top Of The Pops’ Live vocal over backing track. JHE last ‘in person’ appearance on the show. Only this audio recording is known to exist, no film. Introduced by Pete Murray [BBC Radio 1 DJ].
Jimi is wearing a long, white, floral embossed pattern smock with lace work around the neck opening, and long fringes, w. dark leather belt; choker necklace w. pendant; red beads; chandalier necklace; balls necklace; R. oblong ring; L. oblong ring & gem ring; light (yellow?/ orange?) velvet trousers; Dk. green? Fender Jaguar (strung & strapped right handed, unplugged), w. black? leather strap.

[Aud = Audience]

PM : Burning The Midnight Lamp. Let us meet Mister Jimi Hendrix Experience’”
Aud: Cheers & applause
[The backing track for ‘The House That Jack Built’ by Alan Price plays]
Aud: [Laughter]
JH : Hah... Oh, man, I don’t know the words to this one
PM : Ladis and gentlemen we-ha-ha, eh. That is what is called a slight technical hitch
Aud: Cheers & applause]
PM : Right. Let’s have the right one! That’s more like ‘The House That Jill Built’ I think, isn’t
it? Ha-ha-ha. Now I think we might have, you know, if we feel like it ‘Burning The Midnight-eh, Lamp’-eh. Jimi Hendrix do you think you’d like to work yourself up to that now?
Ladies and gentlemen here we go, right, ha-ha-ha.

1. THE BURNING OF THE MIDNIGHT LAMP*

The morning is dead and the day is too
There’s nothing left here to leave me, but the velvet Moo-oon
All my loneliness I have felt today
It’s a little more than enough, to make a man, throw himself away, an’
And I continue, to burn the midnight la-amp, alo-o-o-one, yeah

Now the smiling portrait of you
Is still hanging on my frowning wa-all
It really doesn’t, really doesn’t bother me too much at a-all
It’s just the ah, ever falling dust, that makes it so hard for me to see
That forgotten earring laying on the floor
Facing coldly towards the door
And I continue, to burn the same old la-amp, Lord, alo-o-o-one
Burn

Yeah, yeah
Lonely, lonely, lonely

Loneliness is such a drag

Yeah

So here I sit to face, that same old fireplace
Gettin’ ready for the same old explosion
Goin’ through my mi-ind
And soon enough time will tell
About the circus in the wishing well1
And someone who will buy and sell for me
Someone who’ll toll my bell2

I continue, to burn the same old la-amp, alo-o-one
Yeah, yeah

And I continue
Can you hear me calling?
So-o lonely, yeah
Blow my mind
Yeah, yeah

Yeah

*Jimi wrote the lyrics to this on 2/3 July on the flight from LA to NY after Monterey. It is a sombre reflection
on the effect the travelling life of the musician has on relationships. As a contrast to his lighthearted take on
the initial flight from London to New York and Monterey – STPLSD – the ‘B’ side of the single
1The music business & fame?
2This would appear to be a reference to John Donne’s poem “Devotions upon Emergent Occasions”, eg ”No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is a peece of the Continent, a part of the maine; if a Clod bee washed away by the Sea, Europe is the lesse, as well as if a Promontorie were, as well as if a Mannor of thy friends or of thine owne were; any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee.”
Jimi appeared to disagree strongly that no man was an island: “One of the worst statements people are making is ‘no man is an island.’ Every man is an island and music is about the only way we can really communicate.” If he was referring to the poem in this case, I feel he may have misinterpreted it.

Aud: [Cheers and applause]
PM : James Hendrix Experience with ’The Burning Of The Midnight Lamp’ if’n’ if nothing
else it does prove, and I’m quite often asked, “Is it a live show?” It’s very-hah much a live show.