PDA

View Full Version : 67-09-11, STOCKHOLM, MAIN STAGE, GREEN GROVE (funfair), DJURGÅRDEN (island)

stplsd
01-21-18, 09:49 AM
Monday 11 September 1967
Stockholm, Stora Scenen [Main Stage], Gröna Lund* [Green Grove] (tivoli = fun-fair), Djurgården1 [‘Gamepark’ (an island)], Sweden.
1Thanks to Herman Cherusken for this info.
*Note: Not, 'Tivoli Gardens' - which is in Denmark
Many, if not most, young Swedes could speak, or at least understand most English by this time.
Jimi is wearing: ‘B&W fancy’ jacket?; ‘Indian’ waistcoat?; no shirt?; choker necklace; balls necklace;
blue crystal necklace; ‘cigarette-lighter?’ necklace; R. oblong ring & gem ring; L. giant ring; black trousers;
moccasin boots?; white/rose strat with cloth ‘0’s & X’s’ strap & painted flying V? w. ‘floral roundels’ strap.

1. Foxy Lady (11), 2. Burning Of The Midnight Lamp (7), 3. Fire (9), 4. Catfish Blues (7), 4. Hey Joe (65)
5. Purple Haze (19)

JImi’s first live mention of Moms Mabely

[Aud = Audience]

MC : [Swedish chat] The ‘Jimi Hendrix Experience’
Jimi : Yeah thank you very much, anyway, hooray, all thirteen of you, thank you. We’d like to do a song
called ‘Foxy Lady’, if you don’t mind…

1. FOXY LADY*

Now, you know you’re a cute little heart breaker
(Foxy)
And you know you’re a sweet little love maker
(Foxy)
I’m gonna take you home
oh-I won’t do you no ha-arm, no
You’ve got to be all mine, all mine
Ooh! foxy lady

I see you, I’m down on the scene
(Foxy)
You make me, wanna get up and scream!.
(Foxy)
The pussy cat
I’ve made up my mind
I’m tired of wastin’ all my, precioust ti-ime
Ooh! foxy lady

[Solo]

I’m gonna take you home
oh-I won’t do you no harm, no
Ooh! foxy lady

Here I come baby ha
Gonna do it till I’m…

Foxy lady, yeah, yeah

(Foxy)
(Foxy)

*Interestingly Jimi played guitar on a 1966 recording ‘(My Girl) She’s A Fox’ by The Icemen

Noel : Thank you very much, it’s off our LP, ‘Foxy Lady’, nice to be back.
Jimi : Yeah thank you... I’d like to sa’ - what is that - well any way um, er, a-huh, I’d like to say,
I want to do this toon now for a girl name-uh Eva*, she sent us some-uh flowers and stuff like that
and it was really out o’ sight and-uh we’d like to do our new single now, if you don’t mind, okay?,
it has a name ‘The Burning Of The Midnight Lamp’ dedicated to Eva*. Okay, hit a ‘C’ now hah [tuning] ho-ho-ho
man-uh, this guitar is so out of toon, man, boy, here we go ‘The Burning Of The Midnight Lamp’, you’d better go…

*Eva Sundqvist – She sent Jimi roses each time he played in Stockholm, and they had several sexual
liasons from 1967. She met him again after the show in 1969 and conceived his only known son - Daniel

2. BURNING OF THE MIDNIGHT LAMP*

The morning is dead and the day is too
There’s nothing left here to leave me, but the velvet Moo-oon
All my loneliness I have felt today
It’s a little more than enough, to make a man, throw himself away, an’
And I continue, to burn the midnight lamp, alo-one

The smiling portrait of you
Is still hanging on my frowning wa-all
It really doesn’t, really doesn’t bother me too much at a-all
It’s just the, ever falling dust, that makes it so hard for me to see
That forgotten earring laying on the floor
Facing coldly toward the door
And I continue, to burn the midnight lamp, all alo-o-one
Burn

Yeah, yeah

Lonely, lonely

Loneliness is such a drag

Now, here I sit to face, that same old fireplace
Gettin’ ready for that same old explosion
Goin’ through my mind
And soon enough time will tell
About the circus in the wishing well1
And someone who will buy and sell for me
Someone to toll my bell2

And I continue, to burn the same old lamp, alo-o-one
Yeah, …..blow my mind
Lonely, so lonely

Yeah

*Jimi wrote the lyrics to this on 2/3 July on the flight from LA to NY after Monterey. It is a sombre reflection
on the effect the travelling life of the musician has on relationships. As a contrast to his light-hearted take on
the initial flight from London to New York and Monterey – STPLSD – the ‘B’ side of the single
1The music business & fame?
2This would appear to be a reference to John Donne’s poem “Devotions upon Emergent Occasions”, eg
”No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is a peece of the Continent, a part of the maine; if a Clod bee washed away by the Sea, Europe is the lesse, as well as if a Promontorie were, as well as if a Mannor of thy friends or of thine owne were; any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee.”
Jimi appeared to disagree strongly that no man was an island: “One of the worst statements people are making is ‘no man is an island.’ Every man is an island and music is about the only way we can really communicate.”
If he was referring to the poem in this case, I feel he may have misinterpreted it?

Noel : Thank you very much. Bloody awful...A quick tune up.
Jimi : B...Yeah, we’d like to continue on with a song named ‘Let Me Stand Next To Your Old Lady’.
I mean ‘Let Me Stand Next To Your Fire’ I’m sorry. One, two. One, two, three...

3. FIRE

Yeah, [… ? big ugly feet?], yeah

You don’t care for me, I don’t-uh care about that
You’ve got a new fool hah, I like to laugh at
I have only one-uh, burnin’ desire
Let me stand next to your fire [plays riff]
Let me stand next to your fire
(Let me stand next to your fire) Oh, let me stand, baby
(Let me stand next to your fire) Whoa-oa, let me stand
(Let me stand next to your fire) I’ll do no harm
(Let me stand next to your fire)

Yeah dig this, baby, and stop actin’ so crazy
You say your mom ain’t home, it ain’t my concern
Just don’t play with me and you won’t get burned1
I have only one-uh, itchin’ desire
Let me stand next to your… [plays whammy bend]
(Let me stand next to your fire) Oh, let me sta-and, baby
(Let me stand next to your fire) Whoa-oa, let me stand
(Let me stand next to your fire) Yeah
(Let me stand next to your fire)

…Let Jimi take over
You know what I’m talkin’ about, yeah

Yeah

That’s what I’m talkin’ about, today

Only money
You’d better save it, babe
Save it for your rainy day
I have only one-uh burnin’ desire
Let me stand next to your… [plays trill]
(Let me stand next to your fire) Yeah, let me stand
(Let me stand next to your fire) Whoa-oa let me stand
(Let me stand next to your fire) I won’t do no harm
(Let me stand next to your fire) Yeah

1“Don’t play with me ’cause you’re playin’ with fire” - ‘Play With Fire’ (Mick Jagger & Keith Richards (1965);).
*From ‘Two Old Maids’ (Trad. arr. Jimmy/Jimi Hendrix 1965-70;)) [mistakenly aka ‘Stoop Down Baby’ from
Chick Willis titles Pt..1 only recorded in 1972; Pt. 2 only in 1974]: “Old Mother Hubbard went to the cupboard…
But when she bent over Rover took over. ‘Cause you know he had a bone of his own”;) Ha-ha-ha.
Jimi recorded versions of this at least five times from 1965 to 1970 and also references Mother Hubbard & boneduring his Maui rap. Rover also gets a mention in ‘Highway of Broken Hearts’ ‘Keep On Groovin’ & ‘Hound Dog’. This, coupled with the story of Jimi asking Noel’s mother Margaret if he could warm himself at the fire, in her house at New Year’s eve 1966/67, (when, according to Chas, the band were all tripping;)) would appear to be the inspiration.

Jimi : Thank you
Noel: I just said...very quiet, D’you.
? : Far out! Jimi!
Noel: [whistles:] ‘Whyoo, whyoo’ it’s very cold isn’t it, coh.
? : ‘Hey You’!
Noel: Like to do an old blues number now - wa-hoa ghroa [Makes strange noises!] - which we arranged ourselves...
It’s an old Muddy Waters number or something...Cool...Far
out...it features Mitch I think.
Jimi : We’d like to have Mitch Mitchell do a drum solo on this next blues, it’s a very clean
type of blues, written by Muddy Waters and um, we’d like to do it our own clean way y’know
Aud : [Laughter]
Jimi : What’s w’, man I mean, I’ve been hearin’ bad things about us, [in silly voice:] that’s not true.
Noel: We don’t take our trousers off on stage either
Jimi : [tuning] Damn…Go back ‘E’… Here we go with a thing called ‘Cat’, we’ll call it ‘Catfish Blues’ [strums]
It’ll go like that, that’s right
Aud : [Laughter]…

3. [B]CATFISH BLUES* (McKinley ‘Muddy Waters’ Morganfield, medley)
[remarkably similar to Butterfield Blues Band's 'Two Trains Running' (C. June 1966);)

Well, I wish, I was a catfish1
Swimmin’ i-in Lo-ord the deep blue sea
I’d have-uh all you pretty women
Fishin’ after me, fishin’ after me

Oh, Lo-ord, oh yeah, sure ‘nough, whoa yeah
Well, there’s two to my girlfriend’s house
And I sat down, Lo-ord, on her front step
And she said-uh “Come in now Jimi
My husband just now le-eft
Lord, he’d just now left”
An’ I said “Oh yeah”
She say, “Whoa yeah, whoa yeah
Oh yea-eah, whoa yeah, whoa yea-eah”

[Solo]

Well, there’s two, two trains a runnin’, yeah
But there’s now none, Lo-ord, is goin’ my way
You know there’s-uh one train runnin’ at midnight
The other one, leave just ‘fore da-ay, leave just ‘fore day
Oh, Lo-o-ord, sure ‘nough do
Oh, Lo-ord, sure ‘nough

[Drum solo]

[B]*Introduced by Tommy Vance at some point as ‘Experiencing the Blues’, from a posthumous broadcast, I am sure, this was the only time this title was ever used, but has been posthumously, almost religiously, clung to by a few Brit fans; apart from them, universally (including JHE’s own stage introductions and all contemporary
articles) it is titled ‘Catfish Blues’. Although this is just a digression, as it is clearly, basically Jimi’s take on
Paul Butterfield’s “Two Trains Running”. He just reversed the verse order.
Butterfield took the verses from Muddy Waters’ ‘Still A Fool & ‘Rolling Stone’. Both Muddy’s songs
are themselves variations of other older ‘blues’ songs, eg:
1Huddie ‘Lead Belly’ Ledbetter, “Easy Rider” (1948 – See Jimi’s song title, “Ezy Ryder”):
If I was a catfish swmmin’ in the deep blue sea
I would start all you women divin’ after me..

Butterfield (and Muddy) played in ‘The Village’ regularly when Jimi was based there and no doubt where he would
have heard Butterfield’s TTR. Jimi, twice, claimed to have played with Butterfield’s band - a jam?
Bloomfield said he 1st heard of Jimi at that time when PBBB were playing there and went to see Jimi play at the ‘Cafe Wha?’ – and was blown away;)
Interestingly, when Jimi had recently arrived in London, Butterfield’s band was on a package tour of cinemas in
the UK with Eric Burdon’s Animals etc. Chas was noted in the press as attending the London gig, very likely Jimi
(who was unknown to most of the press and even if so was not a comment worth celeb at the time)
accompanied him;).

Noel: Thank you very much. Mitch there on drums.
? : Huh?. Good luck. Should play ‘Hey’. ‘Hey You’! Come on.
? : Hey. Hey Jim, it’s ‘Hey Joe’ ha-ha.
Jimi : Hey, somebody asked us to play ‘Hey Yoe’.
? : Whoa-hoe! ‘Hey You’!
Jimi : I tell you what, we won’t, I don’t know the words to that song man, but I tell you what,
we’ll try to play ‘Hey Joe’ for you though, okay?
Jimi : We’ll do that together-ha
Jimi : ‘Hey Yoe’ that’s out o’ sight ‘Hey Yoe’
Jimi : I’m very groovy, I’m very, that’s really rocking [tuning] You know when your playin’
outside it’s very hard to keep the guitar in toon. So in between the numbers, you see
us toonin’ up all the time, understand? toon up? you know guitar, outside? Well
anyway heh, it’s very cold out here, so just gi’ me one check-uh chance to toon up.
Gi’ me a ‘A’ [tuning] Anyway we’d like to do ‘Hey Joe’ for you and Eva*…

*Eva Sundqvist, again – She sent Jimi roses each time he played in Stockholm, and they had several sexual
liasons from 1967. She met him again after the show in 1969 and conceived his only known son – Daniel

5. HEY JOE* (William) ‘Billy’ Roberts)

Hey-ey Joe, where you goin’ with that gun in your hand?
Hey-ey Joe, said where you goin’ with that gun in your hand?

I’m goin’ down to shoot my lady
You know, I caught her messin’ ‘round with another man
Yeah
I’m going down to shoot my old lady
You know, I caught her messin’ ‘round with another man
That ain’t too cool

Hey-hey Joe, I heard you shot your lady down
You shot her down in the ground
Hey-hey Joe, I heard you shot your lady down
You shot her down
Yes I did, I shot her
You know I caught her messin’ ‘round town
Yes I did, I shot her
You know I caught her messin’ ‘round town
I gave her the gun, I shot her

Hey-ey Joe
Oh, where you gonna run to now, where you gonna go?
Hey-ey Joe, I said
Where you gonna run to now, where you gonna go?
Hey now, well, dig
I’m goin’ way down south, way down to Mexico way
I’m goin’ way down south, way down where I can be free
Ain’t no one gonna find me
Ain’t no hangman gonna
He ain’t puttin’ rope around me
Yeah, you’d better believe it, baby
Hey, hey-ey Joe, you’d better run on down
You’d better, goodbye everybody
Yeah

*Hendrix acknowledged that he used Tim Rose’s [one of "The Village people"] uniquely slower arrangement,
including his lyric changes and the addition of harmony backing vocals. Previous releases by ‘The Leaves’,
‘Love’ and ‘The Byrds’ were very much faster, had slightly different lyrics and didn’t feature harmony vocals.

Noel : Thank you...Ta
Jimi : We got time to do one more song, we only got, we only got, we only got time, the
man just now told us we could only do one more song more
Aud : No, no, no, Purple Haze, Purple Haze!
Jimi : He-he-heh
Noel: Hang on, oh, oh ooh
Jimi : I dreamed I was the-ere in teenybop heaven’ ha-ha-ha, I’m sorry, I just had to say it,
baby, I’m sorry. Okay, here we go, we’re gonna do a song named ‘Purple Haze’ dedicated to all
the, haze makers heh-heh-heh-hum. I’m gonna, oh well, I sank at sea as you know…

6. PURPLE HAZE1 [Backing vocal - Noel]

Purple haze all in my brain
Lately things don’t seem the same
I’m actin’ funny, but I don’t know why
‘Scuse me while I kiss this guy2

Purple haze all around
Don’t know if it’s-uh up or down
Am I happy or in misery?
Whatever it is, that girl put a spell on me

Help, baby
Help, baby, yeah

[Solo]

(Ooh aah, ooh aah, ooh aah, ooh aah)

Purple haze all in my eyes
Don’t know if it’s-uh day or night.
You’ve got me blowin’, blowin’ my mind.
Is it tomorrow or just the end of time?

Hey
Nanny Mabely*, yeah
Yea-eah, purple haze
(Purple haze)
Oh, no, you blow my mind
(Purple haze)

(Purple haze)

(Purple haze)

Jimi : Thank you, thank you very much.
Noel : Thank you very much...Thank you very much.
Mitch: Thank you, great, who the fuck!?

1Very reminiscent of “the Purple Haze” from Philip Farmer’s sci-fi, book ‘Night Of Light’ which also features a
certain “Mary” and is obviously a source for some early lyric imagery, you’d need to read it;). Jimi was a big
fan of Flash Gordon, interestingly the 1940 Flash Gordon serial was compiled in 1966 into a feature film
length package for TV, titled, “The Purple Death From Outerspace.”
2Similar to Lennon’s, cheeky ‘mondegreen’, ‘big teaser’, often heard as ‘prick teaser’; as no doubt the
Beatles sang live on ‘Day Tripper’, on occasion too, eg hear Mitch & Noel’s vocals on ‘Day Tripper’;).
Jimi’s original ‘kiss the sky’, was often heard as - ‘kiss this guy’, which Jimi, sometimes, jokingly, did
actually articulate, gesturing toward Mitch or Noel as heard on tape and seen in film a few times. He later
sometimes pointed towards the sky to make it clear.
Jimi talking about his time in the army Airborne: “...‘cause once you get out there everything is so
quiet, all you hear is the breezes-s-s-s..”. He used this parachuting image in three lyrics: in the first song he
wrote for his ‘Jimi Hendrix Experience’, Stone Free “...ride the breeze”, next was Purple Haze, “. . .kiss the
sky,” and then in Little Wing “..riding with the wind” He also sometimes quoted the tune ‘The Breeze And I’,
another likely reference.
*Moms Mabely a famous Harlem commedienne, obviously a favourite of Jimi’s as he mentions her several
times. Jimi refers to her as ‘Nanny’ as she was an old woman by this time, although at the height of her
career. A later version of Jimi’s earliest post army group the King Kasuals (from 23 December 1962)
featured Raymond Belts as Moms Mabely impersonater (in costume) MC, & dancer . .