PDA

View Full Version : google blog

douchebagsden
04-17-08, 11:11 PM
someone should create a google blog for the cross town torrents news and uploads so the community can become larger as google is a central highway for lots of internet travel. just a thought, what do you guys think?

maybe some different people from here could submit their own reviews of the tapes and these reviews could be added to the torrent post

douchebagsden
04-18-08, 10:46 AM
can I create something like this for the community here? I don't want to make anyone madd so I want some approval before I take this step, which is why I created this thread

Emilovious
04-18-08, 11:21 AM
Not a bad idea in general. I certainly support it.
However, considering how little people participate in already
well established Hendrix communities like this one
I wouldn't be very optimistic about it.
Blog as a part of this site? Try it, that might work ...

One more thing...
It's always a bad idea to start a post with
"Someone should do this or that..."
There's no lack of good ideas.
The problem is that people aren't willing to put an effort
to get it to work and last.....

douchebagsden
04-18-08, 11:32 AM
I am very willing, I just didn't want to create a blog for the site without the permision of the people who run the site

johanincr
04-18-08, 12:48 PM
someone should create a google blog for the cross town torrents news and uploads so the community can become larger as google is a central highway for lots of internet travel. just a thought, what do you guys think?

a larger community does not equal a better site however.

i'd rather have a small memberbase of completist collectors who upload a genuinely interesting new source every now and then than a huge site where every day there are torrents by noobs who think its a good idea to upload Monterey or Berkeley DVDs....not to mention more hit and runners.

so, i'm all for the quality not quantity approach, but can understand some of the reasonings behind perceived advantages of a bigger memberbase.

you see, another thing to think about, IF the site gets a much bigger memberbase, there quite naturally will be more torrents that require banning, which will take more time from the moderators. The mods are just people with jobs and lifes and dont always have the time to check everything a 100%.

IF we end up in a situation where there are too many torrents every day with official material in them, because of our grown memberbase, the chance of EH making a problem of our humble activities increases too.

As always, the medal has 2 sides :-)

tWreCK
04-18-08, 07:49 PM
Me - I think it'a cozy in here as it is :p

Someone mentioned creating a Crosstown Wiki a while back which I thought sounded cool. Not too keen on blogs myself but if someone is willing to put in the time I don't see any harm done as long as we don't attract too many H & R's etc. Better quality than quantity IMHO............ :rasta:

Emilovious
04-19-08, 08:03 AM
I don't know which purpose would Crosstown Wiki exactly serve but considering the blog, I support it.
To prepare you for what's ahead of you let me give you one example.
Electric Sky Church is after JPIO the largest Hendrix community on the net -
I posted a question there more than two months ago - not yet got a reply.
Imagine posting questions, links, infos, photos, torrents and not getting any feedback. That's what you must prepare yourself for!

I'm not discouraging you (no, never - lol), do it, but be prepared to do 99% yourself and not expect much from others. People have a problem with clicking on "thank you" after they've downloaded the torrent. To expect from them to participate in blog would be "a little" too much.

I can give you the address of my Yahoo-group which worked wonderfully as long as I was active posting (on a daily basis for a year) new links, photos, starting vines etc... The moment I stopped - the group died. It's pot yet dead, and I keep it alive solely because it's a sort of an archive for me. I posted thousands of interesting articles and links there and I like to check them out from time to time when I do some researching.
The destiny of every Hendrix-related project on Internet so far was always very sad.

MourningStar
04-19-08, 11:19 AM
... Electric Sky Church is after JPIO the largest Hendrix community on the net - I posted a question there more than two months ago - not yet got a reply...
What is your username over there? Can I ask what the question was?

Emilovious
04-19-08, 01:02 PM
Emil Vukov
Question about registering on a torrent site, if I remember correctly...

MourningStar
04-19-08, 01:52 PM
^^
Oh yeah, now I recall. That was in the Torrents forum. I also asked about registration problems I had, but I PM'd the admin. I got no reply either. I think the old torrents section is dead. And the admin's presence is scarce most of the time but I do get responses (eventually) in the tech-related "Message To Love" forum. Thnx 4 the reply Emil.

douchebagsden
04-19-08, 02:58 PM
I run a blog that averages over 500 hits a day, I know exactly what it means to save 10 minutes out of everyday to operate a blog.

I feel putting a blog up on google would be great because your not going to get new people who don't know about hendrix.

Also, the great thing about the blog is I plan to make megaupload links for the torrents, break them up into parts so people who don't even know how to torrent can jump in on the fun.

I'm just trying to think of more ways to get fantastic bootlegs out there. The blog wouldn't be for everything that goes into this site, just the stuff that has superior audio quality and a good performance.

I think I will start this blog if the mods don't mind, which seems like it. But if at any time any of the mods want it taken out, I don't have a problem with that.

Emilovious
04-21-08, 04:37 AM
All that sounds great, but for example, if you start putting Mega-upload links there, people with bad ratios on Crosstown will simply go there and download from mega-upload link and never return back.
A week or so ago Regis College never before circulating recording was posted
on this site. All we got was 25 posts (3 of them are mine) out of 131 downloads.
The site has over 600 members (silent majority - have you heard that somewhere before?).

douchebagsden
07-19-08, 08:26 PM
I am going to create this sometime this week. I am going to include all the posts, but slowly go through everything. I'll set everything in chronological order and with esc, I am sure finding pictures for paticular gigs won't be hard. Since most live recordings are from 68 and on I'll just use the descriptions eh has at their library, giving proper citation of course.

I know some of you have worries about how I'll feel if people don't thank me or show interest, but I think a centralized station for finding the boots in their chronological order could even help the members who use this site.

I won't make megaupload links as my time has become extremely limited, but I can make the time to make a really nice site with lots of informative postings and pictures, etc.

Google is the strongest search engine out there, so setting up a blog under google would only strengthen the numbers of people who are aware of this site that would contribute and be good members.

From my experience, people don't really get into these sites unless they are really into the artists, there is just too much to decipher through to start anywhere comfotably if you don't know the artist, so I don't think we have to worry about people not serious about the community joining

voodoo_child58
07-20-08, 11:17 AM
I made a blog for Italians fans.
http://jimihendrixitalia.blogspot.com/
I did it with the intention to create a virtual place where all the Italian fans can join and find or share informations about Jimi.
I also made a discussion group on Facebook inviting all the Hendrix fanatics I knew, this just only to make our acquaintance and then talk together.
Well only a few people but very few, replied to the threads I posted.
So I agree with Emil when he says:
"I'm not discouraging you (no, never - lol), do it, but be prepared to do 99% yourself and not expect much from others."
and anyway I agree with Emil also in this
"Not a bad idea in general. I certainly support it. "

Peace:wave:

Roberto

douchebagsden
07-20-08, 12:52 PM
Like I Said Before, I Have Ran A Blog, I Know I'll Be Contributing 99% Of The Info Already

douchebagsden
09-23-09, 09:11 AM
This is going to be created either today, tomorrow or friday.

The only place I will need help is providing photos for each gig. I know there is a section here with plenty of stuff, but I remember esc had a lot more than I have ever seen anywhere.

If somebody could be of assistance on providing photos for the gigs I am going to post about it, that would be greatly appreciated. let me know if you can help, this is going to be a great thing for Jimi's music.