PDA

View Full Version : Hendrix Encyclopedia at the Official Site - Where is it?

vahurka
09-13-10, 04:56 PM
Hi!

For many years there was that day-to-day encyclopedia at the official Hendrix Estate website.

Now I search it there, and couldn't find it!
Was it removed? Or am I dumb not to find the link there?

Thanks a lot!

jhendrixfanatic
09-13-10, 06:35 PM
I wrote EH about that and they directed me to an obscure link on the new site that nobody could ever find. When they reworked the site recently for the Valleys of Neptune release they yanked even that. I always thought that that section was one of the best things about jimihendrix.com . It was quite incomplete, but could have evolved into something that would warrant the moniker "Encyclopedia" In short, I think we should hound them again.

jerry1970
09-14-10, 02:13 AM
Can't we make our own database for a Hendrix timeline?

vahurka
09-14-10, 03:29 AM
Yes, it would be a definitely good idea!

I saved a web local copy of the official Encyclopedia around 2006 or 2007, but later it was extended so for sure I don't have the latest updated infos. Did anybody saved it?

kees1954
09-14-10, 09:35 AM

Splendid idea!!!!!

Fenders Fingers
09-14-10, 09:42 AM
Does anyone have a base from which we can start.
It should be an easy layout format to set out. If anyone can supply a base it would go a long way to getting this up and running.
To add to it we need to ensure any information is accurate so we need an area to put forward what we think needs to be included before it's excepted on the data base.

kees1954
09-14-10, 10:33 AM
It should be an easy layout format to set out. If anyone can supply a base it would go a long way to getting this up and running.
To add to it we need to ensure any information is accurate so we need an area to put forward what we think needs to be included before it's excepted on the data base.

Maybe Wikipedia is the right place to set it up? As far as I know it offers the possibility to store discussions and changes.

vahurka
09-14-10, 10:36 AM

There is for example "Just ask the Axis" which is more or less similar format as the official Encyclopedia:
http://www.digitalhighway.co.uk/axis/index.htm

A Wikipedia would be a good platform for this?

I definitely agree that editing rights should be strongly limited to only authored persons, to avoid the include false infos. I agree that a "temporary editing area" or something like that, would be needed where new infos could be put by anybody. Then the experts or the community itself decides whether the info is correct, then it will be included in database. Hmm?

I think it should not be hard to setup a Wikipedia or something. The most work is collect and build the content itself.
We would need to decide a structure also. For example:
- Date: 1970 january 23
- Place: Record Plant, NY
- Villanova Junction Blues , Cherokee Mist, .... never-ending jam :D
- Personnel: Jimi, Buddy Miles, Biily Cox, harmonica player
- Various takes.
- Song time lengths
- What is released and where?
- What are the differences between releases, which is edited, the sound quality etc......

huh, now that I though about it, it seems a very hard work! Maybe not as good idea as at first look. Also there are already useful sites such as In From The Storm (hpjohnse) and Purple Jim's site.....

Also we need to be careful not to run into rights problems. (Janie...)

Fenders Fingers
09-14-10, 10:49 AM
Maybe Wikipedia is the right place to set it up? As far as I know it offers the possibility to store discussions and changes.

I don't like this idea Kees. Too easy to access and change by anyone who want's to. I also hold this site at arms length, and I'm not alone. Sure it has it use but not I feel for something like this.

There is for example "Just ask the Axis" which is more or less similar format as the official Encyclopedia:
http://www.digitalhighway.co.uk/axis/index.htm

A Wikipedia would be a good platform for this?

I definitely agree that editing rights should be strongly limited to only authored persons, to avoid the include false infos. I agree that a "temporary editing area" or something like that, would be needed where new infos could be put by anybody. Then the experts or the community itself decides whether the info is correct, then it will be included in database. Hmm?

I think it should not be hard to setup a Wikipedia or something. The most work is collect and build the content itself.
We would need to decide a structure also. For example:
- Date: 1970 january 23
- Place: Record Plant, NY
- Villanova Junction Blues , Cherokee Mist, .... never-ending jam :D
- Personnel: Jimi, Buddy Miles, Biily Cox, harmonica player
- Various takes.
- Song time lengths
- What is released and where?
- What are the differences between releases, which is edited, the sound quality etc......

huh, now that I though about it, it seems a very hard work! Maybe not as good idea as at first look. Also there are already useful sites such as In From The Storm (hpjohnse) and Purple Jim's site.....

Also we need to be careful not to run into rights problems. (Janie...)

Yep, Big job but we have lots of members. I don't think we need too much info per set list either.
Maybe more like this:
Date and what occured.
EG. Date. L.A.Forum No need for a set list but more importantly what the band did pre and post concert. Interviews, photo shots, party, jam etc
I liked this idea ............ What is released and where?
But I guess your right, too big a job.

vahurka
09-14-10, 11:05 AM
Yep, Big job but we have lots of members. I don't think we need too much info per set list either.
Maybe more like this:
Date and what occured.
EG. Date. L.A.Forum No need for a set list but more importantly what the band did pre and post concert. Interviews, photo shots, party, jam etc
I liked this idea ............ What is released and where?
But I guess your right, too big a job.

Yes, I agree that maybe it's worth to limit this database only to basic info, e.g the date, place, personnel, and set list. A comparison between various bootlegs are too much work and it is also not exact info, it is always a personal taste so it would be just make trouble.

Basicly the format that the official Encyclopedia had, should be enough.

kees1954
09-14-10, 02:37 PM
Yes, I agree that maybe it's worth to limit this database only to basic info, e.g the date, place, personnel, and set list. A comparison between various bootlegs are too much work and it is also not exact info, it is always a personal taste so it would be just make trouble.

Basicly the format that the official Encyclopedia had, should be enough.

I'm all for it!!!! Who wants to be the moderator? I would love to do another version of PYE, for instance, but it is such a lot of work. I can't even get started with all the new things that come in big floods of (un)official Hendrix recordings :-(

Dolly Dagger
12-22-10, 03:42 PM
The CTT Jimi Hendrix Encyclopedia.. Sounds nice. Maybe just a section set aside on the website with a search feature just like "Just Ask The Axis", with when the show came up it'd have the show info, link to get the show, and maybe a picture of two. :wave:

zombywoof57
12-23-10, 12:14 AM
its a great idea