PDA

View Full Version : Jimi's Opening Acts

kcox5342
05-10-08, 06:42 AM
Just a collection of recordings I picked up over the past few years of bands opening up for the Experience... two from Madison Square Garden '69 and a third from Portland 9/9/68. All the original FLAC files, probably all from Dime. The original text files follow.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

CAT MOTHER & THE ALL NIGHT NEWSBOYS
MADISON SQUARE GARDEN, NEW YORK,
MAY 18TH 1969.

1. BAD NEWS
2. FAVORS
3. MARIE
4. GOOD OLD ROCK 'N' ROLL
5. TRACK IN "A"

ROY MICHAELS
MICHAEL EQUINE
LARRY PACKER
BOB SMITH
CHARLIE CHIN

DECENT ULTRA RARE AUDIENCE RECORDING,
WITH SOME CROWD TALKS HERE AND THERE.

1st generation tape > equalizer > cd > eac > wav > flac

Ok this is an ultra rare historical recording, sound quality
is acceptable, performance is stunning, so you know what
you get downloading this. If you like this band, this is
something you must have, otherwhise pass over it. Cat
Mother 1st lp had a little echo in the sixties cause it
was produced but mr. Jimi Hendrix himself, but all
their 4 albums are great rock-psychedelic stuffs with a
country flavor in some songs and they worth to be checked.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

BUDDY MILES EXPRESS

madison square garden NY may 18 1969

trade cdr> eac> wav>flac

1. intro/ soul searchin
2. miss lady

transferred and art worked by yours truly pgl

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

VANILLA FUDGE
Portland, Oregon,
September 9, 1968

Very good audience recording remastered by Pink Robert

1. People Get Ready (8:24)
2. You Keep Me Hangin' On (6:27)
3. Jam (25:10)

Chris Stein - organ, Vince Martell - guitar, Tim Bogert - bass, Carmine Appice - drums

There is no artwork! Sorry!

Borndead
05-10-08, 01:20 PM
No interest! :confused:

kcox5342
05-10-08, 03:05 PM
No interest! :confused:

Yeah, I kind of knew this wasn't going to be top-of-the-charts material, but haven't you ever been at least slightly interested to know what these bands sounded like? I was born in 1972 - anything and everything that can get me closer to the feel of what it was like to see Jimi live is appreciated, even though I've probably listened to each of these once. Although I wish the Portland taper had just saved his whole tape for Jimi...

Apart from Woodstock and Monterey, are there any other recordings of bands opening for Jimi? And who is that band in the black and white footage of Zurich on the Flight Into 1968 DVD?

mike1061
05-10-08, 11:10 PM
I think there will be some intrest in this.
Thanks Mike

MourningStar
05-11-08, 12:15 AM
OMG! Vanilla Fudge! Yes!

Alleged to have blown Hendrix off the stage, they would soon have Jimmy Page's new band open for them. Now if someone can find CTA's opening, that would be 'gold'!

http://www.vanillafudge.com/gallery/bkgroup.jpg

gconIII
05-11-08, 06:34 AM
Thank you for this. I was actually at this concert, my only opportunity to see Jimi. I remember the opening acts well. I was familiar with Buddy Miles but Cat Mother was new to me. Thanks again.

heyyo
05-11-08, 07:08 AM
Nice, always wondered what Jimis opening acts sounded like :)

MourningStar
05-11-08, 10:05 PM
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

VANILLA FUDGE
Portland, Oregon,
September 9, 1968

Very good audience recording remastered by Pink Robert

1. People Get Ready (8:24)
2. You Keep Me Hangin' On (6:27)
3. Jam (25:10)

Chris Stein - organ, Vince Martell - guitar, Tim Bogert - bass, Carmine Appice - drums

Uh, that should be Mark Stein, fwiw ...

http://www.mark-stein.com/gallery/hammond_fudge.gif

The VF were on fire! BTW, is Jimi's set from this gig floating around?

kcox5342
05-12-08, 04:47 AM
BTW, is Jimi's set from this gig floating around?

It's right here:

http://www.crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?t=229

And I forgot that Portland is the complete tape and Spokane from the night before is the fragment, that's what I meant earlier by I wish the taper had saved his tape, I got it confused with the previous evening.

MourningStar
05-12-08, 10:33 AM
^
Thnx! I'm on it.

acidfrank
05-12-08, 12:20 PM
anyone have any soft machine opening sets?
i have some mp3 from some US date - possibly midwest gig i don't remember at the moment.

Da' Buffalo
06-26-08, 11:20 AM
I remember Cat Mother playing benefits at Alternate U. up on the corner of 14th and 6th years ago.

This link (http://rapidshare.com/files/10708190/cat_mother_-_1969_-_the_street_giveth_and_the_street_taketh_away.rar) is to RapidShare and a Rar file of their first album. I found it through YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRQRZeUMBd4)

The audio quality is good, with just a couple of minuscule digital glitches.

Now, about the torrent. My client is showing 3 seeds and one peer but I'm getting an unregistered torrent pass error message.

Any help?

Edit: Nevermind... The torrent started without the tracker

Olvator
06-26-08, 11:38 AM
anyone have any soft machine opening sets?
i have some mp3 from some US date - possibly midwest gig i don't remember at the moment.
interesting...can you find out which show exactly? possibly someone who taped Soft Machine would have taped Jimi´s set as well and it is still rottibng in his attic :-))

douchebagsden
06-26-08, 12:25 PM
edit: the question was asked a few posts above me...never mind :)

Mystic Man
09-11-08, 08:20 PM
Any one willing to re-seed this set? Thanks in advance.

soccertackle14
02-18-10, 05:57 PM
Can I get some clarification on this post "OMG! Vanilla Fudge! Yes!

Alleged to have blown Hendrix off the stage, they would soon have Jimmy Page's new band open for them. Now if someone can find CTA's opening, that would be 'gold'!"

Unfamiliar with the "blown hendrix" comment and with this band entirely. Thanks!

MourningStar
02-18-10, 06:49 PM
Can I get some clarification on this post "OMG! Vanilla Fudge! Yes!

Alleged to have blown Hendrix off the stage, they would soon have Jimmy Page's new band open for them. Now if someone can find CTA's opening, that would be 'gold'!"

Unfamiliar with the "blown hendrix" comment and with this band entirely. Thanks!oh, where to begin ... well there's so much but you're response informs me it was eons before your time. Having Led Zeppelin as your opening act ... and uh ... their rhythym section picked up by Jeff Beck (and if you say 'Jeff who?' I'll scream) for a year or so after the VF breakup ... my my ...

(refer to allmusic.com and enter Vanilla Fudge in search box)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/XiKano/EMOTSMILEY/bligar.gif

lsdmofro
02-18-10, 09:10 PM
Thank you...I took the CAT MOTHER & THE ALL NIGHT NEWSBOYS...that looks extremely interesting...again, thank YOU!!!!

MourningStar
02-18-10, 09:53 PM
Clarification : the 'blown away' comment is attributed to Carmine Appice referring to one of the gigs where they opened for the JHE. It obviously had to be an off-night for Jimi (or not, as it is documented somewhere that they were forced to tour w/the JHE and were eventually taken off the tour). Vanilla Fudge were on fire in their day. For me, only the JHE were better.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/XiKano/AVATAR/peace5.gif

Papi
02-19-10, 09:08 AM
I have Soft Machine set recorded in Col Ballroom, Davenport, Iowa, Usa, 11 August 1968. JHE set is floating here somewhere already. Anyway if someones interested, I could upload the Soft Machine set here.

interesting...can you find out which show exactly? possibly someone who taped Soft Machine would have taped Jimi´s set as well and it is still rottibng in his attic :-))

Mystic Man
02-20-10, 11:50 PM
An upload of the Soft Machine set would be most appreciated.

jamesbender
01-30-15, 03:21 AM
Can anyone re-seed this? Thanks!

Tomahawk Kid
01-30-15, 03:33 AM
Done!

okla70homa
01-30-15, 04:56 AM
Here is another on DIME:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=427221
Opening for Jimi Hendrix
Soft Machine
Royal Albert Hall, London, UK
18 February 1969

Roland Stone
02-02-15, 06:09 PM
Ok, this has really piqued my interest. Not that I care all that much about Soft Machine's Davenport set, but this is probably the first clue I've ever seen that may lead to some information about where my mysterious red vinyl boot of Jimi at Davenport originated. Can you tell us anything at all about how you came by Soft Machine's set? Please understand that I don't give a hoot about the name or identity of any taper or anyone you traded with. I'm just trying to glean whether there's any possibility that a non-vinyl source of Jimi's Davenport might still exist. Obviously your Soft Machine set did not come from vinyl. (or did it?) And it might be a logical assumption that whoever taped Soft Machine was the same person that taped Jimi. (or maybe not and its a completely different taper.) But do you see what I'm getting at? Jimi's Davenport set is like a holy grail for me because it contains one of the best live "Are You Experienced" renditions I've heard. Maybe the best. To find that in even marginally better sound quality from a non-vinyl source would be fantastic. Hell maybe there's even a source that doesn't fade out before the song ends like the vinyl does!

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Rainflower
02-02-15, 07:55 PM
As for the taper, I thought Davenport (like Ottawa) was recorded by Jimi himself. So I would assume the Soft Machine set is a different source. But maybe that means there could be a second source for Jimi's set, if the taper got both?

Roland Stone
02-02-15, 11:38 PM
First time I'm ever hearing that Jimi taped Davenport himself. Who knows? But the Ottawa tape sounds much clearer to me.

woof
02-02-15, 11:48 PM
Jimi's Davenport set is like a holy grail for me because it contains one of the best live "Are You Experienced" renditions I've heard. Maybe the best. To find that in even marginally better sound quality from a non-vinyl source would be fantastic. Hell maybe there's even a source that doesn't fade out before the song ends like the vinyl does!

-agreed. this AYE is truly one of his best renditions (its in stereo -alt source from the rest of it?). His noodling around in an open "A" chord intro is one of those phenomenal genius moments he was so good at.