PDA

View Full Version : "JH Guest Exp" = Fake?

Ganoosh
06-02-08, 12:17 PM
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j20/Mesden/GuestExp_b.jpg

Also while we're at it, The Richie Haven sessions? fake?

johanincr
06-02-08, 01:32 PM
what makes you think there are fakes on these?

officially released material (by other artists) yes, fake no!

Ganoosh
06-02-08, 02:04 PM
Well I was already pretty sure that Hendrix was involved with the Irish band and certain on the stills song, Wasn't sure about the others. thanks just trying to organize my collection.

as for the "rumored richie havens session"?

Roland Stone
06-06-08, 10:20 PM
Every one of those tracks is legit and essential. I have enjoyed the Eire Apparent tracks for many years. Wore out my vinyl copy of Sunrise and I believe I have it on CD somewhere. If you want to stump a Hendrix trivia buff, ask him to name the only recording of Jimi backed by an orchestra with real strings and horns! If he asks for a clue tell him it was an official major label release and was not posthumous! You can win money betting on that answer!

The Tim Leary track is also legit, but Hendrix only plays bass. It's the same riff as "Sending My Love to Linda". "Slow Walkin' Talk" also features Jimi on bass.

The ending of "Ex-Art Student" is awesome - Jimi on guitar, Dave Mason on sitar and Jack Bruce on bass! It reminds me of "Little One" with Brian Jones on sitar but with better production values courtesy of Sir Paul!

johanincr
06-07-08, 01:39 AM
name the only recording of Jimi backed by an orchestra with real strings and horns!You can win money betting on that answer!

'Toy Symphony' a.k.a. 'Oh to be a child'.

what did i win? :)

Roland Stone
06-07-08, 08:06 PM
Close but no cigar.

(1) I don't hear any horns on "Toy Symphony". It really doesn't sound like a "full orchestra" to me. I hear a string ensemble. Violins, harp, possibly a cello, but no horns. I hear a pennywhistle but no real wind section.

(2) I said Jimi "backed by" a full orchestra. I should have been even more specific and said Jimi "playing guitar while backed by a full orchestra". I think Jimi is just playing percussion on "Toy Symphony" so you really can't say he's "backed" - he's just part of the percussion section.

Nice try, but try again!

Roland Stone
06-08-08, 11:43 PM
Judging my the deafening silence I'll assume you are all stumped?

This is NOT a trick question. I'm talking about Jimi Hendrix playing guitar on top of an orchestral arrangement of strings and horns etc. The guitar is right out soloing with wah-wah pedal.

opib
06-09-08, 12:32 AM
Hm, 'Auld Lang Syne'?

Roland Stone
06-09-08, 12:44 AM
Auld Lang Syne?!

Not even close. Ok, enough is enough. The answer is

CAPTIVE IN THE SUN

Jimi plays a wah-wah solo on top of a real orchestra arrangement with strings and horns. The only asterisk on this is that its a pretty safe bet that the orchestra was recorded first and Jimi overdubbed his solo on top of it without ever being in the same room with them.

But wouldn't you rather have it that way than the opposite (like in "Takin Care of No Business" where the horns were overdubbed posthumously?)

"Captive in the Sun" was a legit, official label release (on Buddha Records) during Jimi's lifetime with his full consent and active participation, (although he doesn't get producer credit on this particular track.)

By the way, its pretty clear to me that the lyric is "The Captive AND the Sun" but the song was somehow mistitled on the lp.

dino77
06-10-08, 05:08 AM
Auld Lang Syne?!

Not even close. Ok, enough is enough. The answer is

CAPTIVE IN THE SUN

Jimi plays a wah-wah solo on top of a real orchestra arrangement with strings and horns. The only asterisk on this is that its a pretty safe bet that the orchestra was recorded first and Jimi overdubbed his solo on top of it without ever being in the same room with them.

But wouldn't you rather have it that way than the opposite (like in "Takin Care of No Business" where the horns were overdubbed posthumously?)

"Captive in the Sun" was a legit, official label release (on Buddha Records) during Jimi's lifetime with his full consent and active participation, (although he doesn't get producer credit on this particular track.)

By the way, its pretty clear to me that the lyric is "The Captive AND the Sun" but the song was somehow mistitled on the lp.

Jimi did produce "Captive in the sun".
You're right, it's the only chance to hear Jimi
solo over a full orchestra.
He produced the whole lp except for "Got to get away" and the last track, an instrumental.
Aditionally, "Mr Guy Fawkes" has a full orchestra and Jimi. And he takes over completely on the last part.
The horns and strings were arranged by Vic Briggs,
guitar player for Eric Burdon.
A shame the band isn't that great, though.

Roland Stone
06-10-08, 11:26 PM
The lead singer is kind of annoying. If I could, I'd wipe his voice off all the tracks. Pretty cool to hear Jimi among the background singers though.