PDA

View Full Version : Woburn

johanincr
06-24-08, 06:10 AM
http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?from=searchresults&intObjectID=5101162

If we all (i mean we all) contribute 40-60 british pounds we can buy this !

That wont happen obviously.....(collecting is an egocentric hobby when it comes down to it)

Anyway, i'm gonna start a JH fan magazine too, and make some money off it so that i can buy a rare tape which in ten years i'll auction off to the highest bidder so that i can afford my house in the sun! (that wasnt very nice Johan! No, it wasnt!)

Steev
06-24-08, 07:44 AM
I am sooo in :D How much US is 60 BP's? I stopped keeping track sometime around '75. This is an obvious "Bank Loan" item. :)
Put that new house with a beautiful countryside view . . . .

orcanaoftime
06-24-08, 07:48 AM
I hope EH gets ahold of this tape so they can release it, so it FINALLY can be heard by all. Probly on the Dagger Label?

firstrays
06-24-08, 08:59 AM
Johan
thanks for the heads up on this, I'm just going to break open my grandson's piggy-bank!
firstrays

douchebagsden
06-24-08, 12:14 PM
very sad...

RamesesII
06-24-08, 01:22 PM
I am sooo in :D How much US is 60 BP's? I stopped keeping track sometime around '75. This is an obvious "Bank Loan" item. :)
Put that new house with a beautiful countryside view . . . .

Hi Steev - At the moment each BP is worth around 1.96 USD although sterling is so weak anything could happen.

Maybe some kind soul will buy this tape and post it as a torrent ...........

voodoo_child58
06-24-08, 03:10 PM
http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?from=searchresults&intObjectID=5101162

If we all (i mean we all) contribute 40-60 british pounds we can buy this !

Why not, we can ask also to other friends which aren't crosstown members.
I can give my part of 20 or 30 Euros and some of my friends also if we have enough time ...... why don't we try?
:rasta::rasta::rasta::rasta:

stylus
06-25-08, 03:16 PM
The deal fell through between Ceasar and EH.

douchebagsden
06-25-08, 03:52 PM
I wonder if eh only wanted to buy the jimi portion but the owner of the tape didn't want to seperate any of it. People and their money greed, especially when it's music they didn't create.

sessionsman
06-25-08, 04:38 PM
Anyway, i'm gonna start a JH fan magazine too, and make some money off it so that i can buy a rare tape which in ten years i'll auction off to the highest bidder so that i can afford my house in the sun! (that wasnt very nice Johan! No, it wasnt!)

I remember a long time ago when Mr C.G. "offered" to share his tape for "free" like "Calling Long Distance", "Exp over Sweden", "Jimi in Denmark"...then stated that EH won't allow him to liberate the tape at his own conditions...do you remember the golden days UV readers?..."To the Highest Bidder - Christies's Plus" (ATM 666)...I take bids...and the WINNER is...!!!(that wasn't very nice HB! No it wasn't!) :docd:

HB

johanincr
06-27-08, 03:37 PM
I hope EH gets ahold of this tape so they can release it, so it FINALLY can be heard by all. Probly on the Dagger Label?

the estimate at the Christies site is $79,000 - $120,000, lets assume its sold for $120.000.

dagger cds were $15 each.

$120.000 divided by $15 is 8000 copies would have to be sold to even make back the investment, not counting the price of going from a reel tape to a CD cased with a nice booklet, and the wages the people who have to do all that to make a living. how many copies were sold of the most succesfull Dagger release this far?

IMHO, the asking price is too high, $5000 is more realistic for a mono tape, maybe even when its the only recorded concert from 1968 in the UK:cool:

orcanaoftime
06-27-08, 07:28 PM
Good point there johanincr, that price is a little high. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully it does not end up stored away somewhere never to be released.

You make me wonder now how many Dagger cd's EH has sold. Of course I like them all, but I think my fav one is Hear My Music. Which one do you think is the most popular?

tWreCK
06-27-08, 11:16 PM
Now that you mention it - $15.00 is way too friggin' much to pay for a CD of questionable audio quality and bootleg nature such as the Dagger releases. Who's greedy again? :rolleyes:

On another note - I'll bet some rich collector geek will buy it and store it alongside their $30000 Fender/Hendrix Custom Shop Monterey strat.........

johanincr
06-28-08, 09:27 AM
i think Morning Symphony Ideas is the most popular, but thats just a guess.

i can think of one possible scenario that would get almost everybody happy, which would require the tape to be sold and the sellers' safety copy (you know it exists, be realistic!) circulated openly or otherwise.

a potential buyer would want assurances that this scenario wont happen, which IMHO cant be given.

and the number of Dagger discs sold......is unknown except to the people at EH, and since they do not communicate at any scale with collectors its anyones guess. considering they have admitted having the black gold tapes and dont have plans to release that why would it be any different with Woburn?!

Olvator
06-28-08, 12:16 PM
Now that you mention it - $15.00 is way too friggin' much to pay for a CD of questionable audio quality and bootleg nature such as the Dagger releases. Who's greedy again? :rolleyes:

On another note - I'll bet some rich collector geek will buy it and store it alongside their $30000 Fender/Hendrix Custom Shop Monterey strat.........

yes. i bet my ass that that is exactly how it is going to be. Mr Allen will probably get this, and then you can listen to it if you visit EMP....and no copies will float around. really sad

johanincr
06-28-08, 12:53 PM
Superb! 'Audience' tapes from the EMP!
:avatar39032_3:

toofiedog
06-28-08, 10:36 PM
Here's something else to think about. What kind of condition is the tape in? A 1/4 in. reel to reel tape thats 30 years old may have all types of sound problems, especially drop-outs. Is their any guarantee that the sound quality is top notch? I doubt it. I agree with some of you others that the winner will probably just sit on the tape and not release it. I have also seen that with most auctions that they usually get half of what they think they will get. So let's hope it only goes for around $60,000 and EH will buy it and release it on Dagger. On another note I don't understand with all the material out there why EH doesn't release the material they already have. Like take the material from Crash Landing & Midnight Lightning (before Alan Douglas dupped it) and release all that stuff on a 80 minute CD.........

heyyo
06-29-08, 04:11 AM
Good point there johanincr, that price is a little high. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully it does not end up stored away somewhere never to be released.

You make me wonder now how many Dagger cd's EH has sold. Of course I like them all, but I think my fav one is Hear My Music. Which one do you think is the most popular?
I agree with Johan to, way to overpriced, probally some milionare who whipes his ass with money will buy it... I mean this isnt that rare the songs on it where performed many times and its pretty short to + the soundquality is probally pretty poor since its 40 years old..

Hear My Music is probally my favorite to but closely followed by the Paris/San Fransisco :)

orcanaoftime
06-29-08, 06:53 AM
i think Morning Symphony Ideas is the most popular, but thats just a guess.

i can think of one possible scenario that would get almost everybody happy, which would require the tape to be sold and the sellers' safety copy (you know it exists, be realistic!) circulated openly or otherwise.

a potential buyer would want assurances that this scenario wont happen, which IMHO cant be given.

and the number of Dagger discs sold......is unknown except to the people at EH, and since they do not communicate at any scale with collectors its anyones guess. considering they have admitted having the black gold tapes and dont have plans to release that why would it be any different with Woburn?!

I have emailed EH with some ideas for releases (ha, isn't that a joke), but who knows what and when they will put out. How about the Royal Albert Hall stuff, so the damn bootlegers stop raping it. How about a Dagger DVD? You know they have European tv shows, bits & pieces of footage just gathering dust in their vaults...ohh well. I hate waiting for stuff to come out.

Here's something else to think about. What kind of condition is the tape in? A 1/4 in. reel to reel tape thats 30 years old may have all types of sound problems, especially drop-outs. Is their any guarantee that the sound quality is top notch? I doubt it. I agree with some of you others that the winner will probably just sit on the tape and not release it. I have also seen that with most auctions that they usually get half of what they think they will get. So let's hope it only goes for around $60,000 and EH will buy it and release it on Dagger. On another note I don't understand with all the material out there why EH doesn't release the material they already have. Like take the material from Crash Landing & Midnight Lightning (before Alan Douglas dupped it) and release all that stuff on a 80 minute CD.........

Man I can't wait untill they release the song Crash Landing. What is taking them?

heyyo
06-29-08, 07:07 AM
I have emailed EH with some ideas for releases (ha, isn't that a joke), but who knows what and when they will put out. How about the Royal Albert Hall stuff, so the damn bootlegers stop raping it. How about a Dagger DVD? You know they have European tv shows, bits & pieces of footage just gathering dust in their vaults...ohh well. I hate waiting for stuff to come out.

Man I can't wait untill they release the song Crash Landing. What is taking them?
They probally wont release it if they dont profit alot on it :-/ which is kinda sad since they seem to buy alot of stuff :-/
Hehe maybee we should start a petition and start to gather names :P

firstrays
07-10-08, 05:59 PM
.....just in.....
A rare recording of the Jimi Hendrix Experience performing at the Woburn Music Festival, at Woburn Abbey, Bedfordshire, in July 1968 sold for 48,050.

firstrays

opib
07-10-08, 06:02 PM
And, who's the lucky (rich) one?