PDA

View Full Version : Stora Scenen, Stockholm 1970-08-31 1st Source Remaster

RamesesII
06-25-08, 04:04 PM
This is another must I got from JPIO although from the notes this was originally torrented three years ago. There are two other sources of this show and a video already on the tracker. This is a remaster of the first source which is not on the tracker.

Enjoy :D

Original Notes Below

Jimi Hendrix Stockholm 1970-08-31
1st Source , 1st Gen
Complete Show + Interview
1970-08-31 (Monday): Stora Scenen, Grona Lund, Stockholm, Sweden
tracks:
1. Lover Man
2. Catfish Blues »
3. Race With The Devil
4. Ezy Ryder
5. Red House
6. Come On (Part I)
7. Room Full Of Mirrors
8. Hey Baby (The Land Of The New Rising Sun) »drum solo »
9. Message To Love
10. Machine Gun »
11. Voodoo Child (slight return) »
12. In From The Storm »
13. Purple Haze
14. Foxy Lady « Star Spangled Banner

Sourced from:
Primitive Voices (JPIO-II 065-066 / 04.04.2004 / 2CDR)
(Stora Scenen, Gröna Lund, Stockholm 31.08.70 [Complete Show - 1st Source]; 49:18 / 45:36) Aud; 1st Gen ? - Digitally Restored & Pitch corrected (-9%) *
[* Based on Segments 1 and 3 from "Stockholm 31.08.1970 - The Tony Brown Tape", with short splice at the very end of "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)" (84) from segment 2. Normalized segment by segment and indexed. A Tape recorder (?) noise during dropout at approx. 5:15 in "Machine Gun" (29) has been removed, and so have the majority of pops / clicks and glitches throughout. Some minor clicks / pops are however still present, and an edit (2 sec.music missing) in "Hey Baby (New Rising Sun)" (10) has also been left as is. Pitch adjusted to Eb.]
notes:
- Upgrade of the Stockholm recordings from "Stockholm 31.08.1970 - The Tony Brown Tape".
- This version of the Stockholm 1st Source is superior to both the incomplete version released on the bootleg "Free Concert" (ftbfs: B430) and the complete version released on the bootleg "Live in Sweden Vol.7" (Rover 007).

And the interview is as featured on
Sweeping Up The Pieces Of Yesterday's Life - 2nd Edition (JPIO-II 070-076 / 11.06.2004 / 7CDR)
All info taken from http://home.online.no/~hpjohnse/hendrix.html

This is probably the best transfer of the best known best sounding single source from this show (there are at least 3)
Original seed by Johanirc @ DAD , Mon 05th Sep, 2005 03:39 GMT

paul56
06-25-08, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the upgrade RamesesII !

Emilovious
07-03-08, 12:18 PM
PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE TITLES OF ALREADY CIRCULATING TORRENTS.
Most collectors know this particular re-master as "Primitive Voices" and if not out of convenience you shouldn't change it out of respect towards the guy who did the re-master in the first place.
It's not enough to mention the original title in the text file. If I'd seen the "Primitive Voices" in the torrent's title I wouldn't open this page at all.
I'm sure it would never cross your mind to torrent vinyl transfer of the "Are You Experienced" album under "De Lane Lea and Olympic 66-67 vinyl transfer"
and then in torrent-info mention that it's in fact "Are You Experienced".
It's the same thing.
Thank you.

DoctorGero
07-03-08, 01:13 PM
Hey thanx, I was looking for this.

RamesesII
07-03-08, 03:55 PM
PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE TITLES OF ALREADY CIRCULATING TORRENTS.
Most collectors know this particular re-master as "Primitive Voices" and if not out of convenience you shouldn't change it out of respect towards the guy who did the re-master in the first place.
It's not enough to mention the original title in the text file. If I'd seen the "Primitive Voices" in the torrent's title I wouldn't open this page at all.
I'm sure it would never cross your mind to torrent vinyl transfer of the "Are You Experienced" album under "De Lane Lea and Olympic 66-67 vinyl transfer"
and then in torrent-info mention that it's in fact "Are You Experienced".
It's the same thing.
Thank you.

In the first place I have not downloaded a torrent, changed its title and then uploaded it under a different name.

In the second place this is ***sourced*** from Primitive Voices and has been digitally restored and pitch corrected - my reading of the description if that this is not Primitive Voices as it was originally released - if you have an issue with that I suggest you take it up the content of the description supplied with the original vine with JPIO. As I don't have Primitive Voices I can't compare the two to see if there are any noticeable differences.

In the third place the notes are very specific and I have included all of them so nobody can be deceived about the content of the torrent.

In the fourth place how sad that you opened the page - that would cause you such a huge amount of inconvenience that it must have tied up your bandwidth for all of two seconds - but it did give you an opportunity to sound off which is a pastime from which you appear to gain a great deal of satisfaction.

In the fifth place I do not need instructions from you on how to name torrents.

In the sixth place it is very rude to shout and until you learn not to I have no intention of paying any attention to you.

Emilovious
07-03-08, 04:14 PM
OK, the interview is added that's why the original torrent wasn't uploaded as "Primitive Voices".
However, Johanincr did torrented on DIME (three years ago) original Primitive Voices set, not a remaster of the remaster you're suggesting.
Read your own info - Primitive Voices set is ALREADY RE-MASTERED.
Why would anyone do a re-master of the re-master?
Maybe someone like you, but I seriously doubt Johan would.
Johan changed the title because he added the interview originally not present on the Primitive Voices set.
Considering your "no intention of paying attention" I'm writing this for those who do pay attention. If you don't, I really can't care less.
Here's scan of the original DIME's page (read it "cum grano salis"):
http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/9792/scan10091et2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
By emilovius (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/emilovius)

RamesesII
07-03-08, 04:42 PM
You don't know what you're talking about.
Johanincr torrented on DIME (three years ago) original Primitive Voices set, not a remaster of the remaster you're suggesting.
Read your own info - Primitive Voices set is ALREADY RE-MASTERED.
Why would anyone do a re-master of the re-master?
Maybe someone like you, but I seriously doubt Johan would.
Johan changed the title because he added the interview originally not present on the Primitive Voices set.
Considering your "no intention of paying attention" I'm writing this for those who do pay attention. If you don't, I really can't care less.
Here's scan of the original DIME's page (read it "cum grano salis"):

By emilovius (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/emilovius)

Gosh - what a terrible crime - not to know that Primitive Voices was torrented on Dime three years ago. Whatever can the world be coming to. Nothing torrented on Dime should ever see the light of day anywhere else and certainly not here - it might get to some Hendrix fans and that would never do.

In fact I've checked with In From The Storm and it appears that the vine was Primitive Voices with an interview, video and pictures. As I don't know the name of every single boot every released the notes seemed to suggest that this was a remaster of an orignal release called Primitive Voices.

Emilovious
07-03-08, 04:51 PM
OK, I admit I maybe assumed a bit too much when I posted my first message. However, it's not about superiority but accuracy. Even if I'm wrong, I still want to know if this is original Primitive Voices or re-master of the re-master.
You seemed to be absolutely sure it's the re-master of the re-master.
Since we're on the site SPECIALIZING on Jimi Hendrix, I think we all have the right to be sure.
So far all I've heard from you is some angry reactions and "big head" metaphors.
I'm not an English speaking person and I really do not necessary have to understand them (although I do)
Is this Primitive Voices or not? That's all I really care about.
Until your info stays the same, me or anybody else don't know for sure.

RamesesII
07-03-08, 05:04 PM
OK, I admit I maybe assumed a bit too much when I posted my first message. However, it's not about superiority but accuracy. Even if I'm wrong, I still want to know if this is original Primitive Voices or re-master of the re-master.
You seemed to be absolutely sure it's the re-master of the re-master.
Since we're on the site SPECIALIZING on Jimi Hendrix, I think we all have the right to be sure.
So far all I've heard from you is some angry reactions and "big head" metaphors.
I'm not an English speaking person and I really do not necessary have to understand them (although I do)
Is this Primitive Voices or not? That's all I really care about.
Until your info stays the same, me or anybody else don't know for sure.

Yes it is. I thought it was Primitive Voices remastered. That's what the notes seemed to say because they said it was "sourced" from Primitive Voices and I thought that Primitive Voices was used as the source to create the remaster - I didn't realise that Primitive Voices was the remaster. You are right of course.

tWreCK
07-03-08, 06:43 PM
Ok so now you've all got me confused! So, IS this the original 'Primitive Voices' + an additional interview?

Emilovious
07-03-08, 06:50 PM
Yes, this is original "Primitive Voices" plus Interview.

RamesesII
07-04-08, 12:42 AM
The original post on Dime was also confusing - it says the interview was "taken from" and the show was "sourced from" which implies that the show is an upgrade of the original Primitive Voices. Only In From The Storm states clearly that they are the same.

It is possible to raise the question without being so damn rude whatever your native language.

Olvator
07-04-08, 04:16 AM
emil,
please believe me, i do respect you as a very serious collector, and I still love you for making the UV diary available to me, and you always have all the info handy if someone needs any, but why do you always (or at least most of the time) have to bash people if they upload stuff that is not conform with your approach to torrenting?
did you ever realize that you sometimes really hurt people with your comments?
it always seems to be the same: first you bash them, then two messages later, you apologize. why don´t you wait a day and think about it first, and then you post a message. i think it annoys quite a few people, sometimes including myself. and that is a real pity, as you are a very dedicated ESC member.

myself for example, I would have had to open the torrent, as I would not have been able to know the show just from the title "Primitive Voices", what is so bad about having to open a torrent description to find out what show it is? come on....
please try not to stop new members from uploading their stuff. i think some people are scared to upload any more because they feel like they will be getting shit from you, and that is not what it should be like!
and speaking of Rameses.....all of his uploads were pretty interesting if you ask me, although i did not grab them.

take this as a friendly advice. it is not meant to bring you down. but sometimes you sound like the guard of ESC, which you are not.

according to the info file, PV was a remaster already, and even Johan upped it as 1970-08-31 1st source.

i believe the best way to upload is the date, venue, source and / or gen in the title and the rest in the info file. just as Rameses did it. To have just Primitive Voices in the title would NOT be appropriate for me.
have a nice day; olve

Pugs
07-04-08, 10:35 AM
Ok, it has to be said. I don't participate much and have certainly not torrented anything here due to this hostile attitude. There's only a handful of regular contributors but many members haven't been here in a long time. I dare say they feel the same as me.

There are nicer places to be and after this last outburst, this is my "Goodbye" to the site. I have been collecting Jimi for years, love the man and his music and I do not want that love tarnished by visiting a site which make Colditz look like a holiday camp.

RamesesII
07-04-08, 11:33 AM
I must say Pugs has made a good point and it is hurtful that two of the torrents I have upped here recently have degenerated into a row. I've come across this on the newsgroups where I used to post an awful lot but stopped because of all the flaming. I've never noticed it on any of the other torrent sites where I've been posting other artists without any problems whatsoever.

The only way not to get involved is not to respond to negative comments about the torrents you have taken the trouble to up here because you want to share them with other fans. Just ignore what's been said. But why should you have to put up with it in the first place? It's a great shame if Jimi fans don't feel comfortable here as this should be the first place they head for.

There are far more positive comments of course and I am very grateful for them as they mean as awful lot but the negative comments do stand out. And, of course, I'm now left feeling very guilty for having responded to the negative comments in the first place and making matters worse. Instead of feeling really happy to be able to share with other fans I'm left wondering where the next onslaught is going to come from if I up anything else. From the comments that Pugs has made maybe I'm not the only one.

hawkfan369
07-04-08, 01:05 PM
you know, there is an ignore feature here...if there is a member(s) that you don't really want to hear from, you can click on their profile and click add to your ignore list.

I don't want to see anybody go...but everybody is entitled to their opinion, whether or not you choose to listen is up to you.

It is a shame that we all can't get along...but this is the internet and it takes all kinds I guess.

Pat

I'm going to go drink a lot of beer now....:beer:

It's way too nice outside for this.

tWreCK
07-04-08, 01:06 PM
You guys are blowing this whole thing way out of porportion :rolleyes:

First of all, I agree that sometimes Emil might come across as the ESC police and a little brash in his postings but I don't think that's his intention. He's just very passionate (and knowledgable) about his Jimi as we all are and wants this community to be the premiere Hendrix place-to-go.

I for one welcome a certain amount of scrutinazation when posting material/shows because I think there should be a "standard" we all try to uphold and sometimes that's not an easy task. If we don't make the effort to try and meet certain standards then we risk 'watering-down' the quality of the Hendrix trading pool which would be a shame in the long run. There are several good resources to dig information from on the internet and magazines (as well as knowledgable members & collectors) so I say we use them as best we can to maintain a high standard that a dedicated Hendrix community like this should have.

In the end - we should always remember to treat each other with respect and be polite. After all, we're all doing this because we're passionate about Jimi and his music and to have fun!

BTW, all those other "nicer" 'places Pugs is referring to has problems as well - be it flaming, negative posts, the list goes on! There are no perfect trading/torrent sites as they all come with their share of positives and negatives. There are no more 'hostile' attitudes here than anywhere else - it's all in the eyes and ears of the beholder..............

MourningStar
07-04-08, 01:35 PM
You guys are blowing this whole thing way out of porportion :rolleyes: ....

Nice post tWreCK (http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?t=590#17)

dino77
07-04-08, 01:56 PM
I must say Pugs has made a good point

I agree. It's good to try and keep things accurate,
but any advice should come in a friendly way.
You do not YELL at people online. LIKE THIS. IT IS CONSIDERED VERY RUDE INDEED!!!! Feel that?

I have chosen not to upload anything more due to this,
instead I'll check in and download and help seed
any interesting torrents, that works too.

cosmic
07-04-08, 01:57 PM
Way back I found a site called Easytree, and I thought I was in heaven! That site had so much Hendrix concerts and stuff that my chin reach the floor creating an eight on the richter scale, I have been a Jimi fan since 1970 and my age at that time was 15! What an experience???!!!

well, one day the site wasn't working and my life took a new turn, not because of that though, which caused my interests for Jimimusic a bit low and I didn't bother looking for other sites with his music. I had lots of concerts which crasched at the same time, in a harddrive f**k-up and there I stood, without any of those torrents that I downloaded and a life in a true dire strait.
Now, years from that episod, I found a site called mindwarp and it blew my mind once more! The feeling of finding more Hendrix material was awsome and soon I've found this site, CTt, where i recognize a lot of nicks and cool people and my life is right back on track again!

This little story maybe tell some of you fans and uploaders to stay here and maybe filter some comments, 'cause most of us out in the digital waves really appreciate all the effort you put in this genre and Jimi's music! Some dudes always have to have an opinion and some dudes, like me, just grab what I can and be satisfied with that. That's it.

Anyway, a great THANK YOU for what you do, non menchend and non forgotten, and I hope this heavenly site will remain forever!

by the way, my vacation starts today and four weeks ahead! I'm not going anywhere, just chill with Hendrix music; that's life, right?

DoctorGero
07-05-08, 05:24 PM
While I was listening through the tracks on my computer I went through a sort of déjà vu. Actually what I heard sounded a lot like the screwed tape used in "live in Scandinavia Vol 2".

I burned it to a cdrw and I found it actually contained the same gaps between the tracks. It appears as if the tracks quickly fade out after each track. This must be an obvious error.
My suspicion is that this torrent is used on "live in Scandinavia Vol 2":Christo_pancho2:.

I own the bootleg "Free Concert" (which uses the same tape) also mentioned in this thread and although many parts have been cut out in this bootleg, it doesn't contain these gaps where you expect them to be (actually I mean one gap, because I only checked it between "Catfish Blues/Race With The Devil" and "Ezy Rider":Christo_pancho2:).

And.... in some ways the source used in "Free Concert" seems to be slightly better!!! You don't hear the high sounding clicks...... but it could be that the bootleg-people filtered them out.

Perhaps I'm just overcritical.

I will upload the "free concert" bootleg one day for you to hear and compare.

abbeydabbey
07-06-08, 01:41 AM
Unbelievable all this petty squabbling. Jimi would puke all over again. I used to visit a disabled person on a regular basis and bring soda and chips (among other things) as they were on a fixed income. One day when I arrived I was immediately chastised (repromanded) because I had the audacity to bring the "wrong" flavor of Pringles. I don't visit that person any longer. This metaphor was brought to you in the hopes that we can get back to respecting each other and sharing some great Jimi Hendrix music. Peace.

stonefreelee
09-13-08, 07:00 PM
can someone please seed this for me? I dont care about the bickering, I just want the music!

Voodoo Kush
04-12-09, 08:43 PM
Amen! :D... could someone seed this once again?

Trotzkee
07-14-09, 04:48 PM
Thank you very much!! I was uncertain if I would find this here after discovering my "Free Concert" could be upgraded

purple jim
08-04-09, 10:38 AM
Thanks for this one. It's certainly an improvement on the old fuzzy cassette that I have !
Not a great gig but fascinating as usual. He did take the stage the same day (!) as the IOW gig and was obviously knackered.

terrybarber
09-16-10, 10:45 AM
Thanks a lot!

crazy_cat
03-13-11, 09:04 AM
thanks

edunk
03-15-11, 08:38 PM
Thank You

zoej02
06-19-11, 11:26 AM
Thank you!

zepster
02-03-14, 01:58 PM
I think this is the best source of all 4 available. I did a listening to each over this weekend and have to say even if source #4 is less distorted, it's more distant and muddy and this has bright guitar in the mix, also capturing drums in not baddest way (other sources sometimes completely losing drums in the mix, favors guitar or bass for example).

Anyway, I am much curious of this remaster so if anyone could seed this, I'll bo much pleased.

zepster
02-06-14, 09:56 AM
I just examined this transfer and have to say I'd prefer older one. This has less dynamic to me, it is also more muffled to me. There's a cut just before "Lover Man" and cut in "Machine Gun" is edited while older transfer has tape distorted at the same part. On positive notes, there's no cut between "Come On" and "Room Full of Mirrors" and drum solo after "Hey Baby" isn't cut twice and only in one point. It's matter of choice; however older transfer is so far the best in quality to me. Thx anyway for sharing this version. It's nice to have 2 different transfers. What's worse, on this version there are fade outs after each song. It's a nightmare for someone who wants to keep everything in highest quality and completeness. "Free Concert" bootleg could be best in terms of sound but they've fucked up case and pulled everything into a mono signal what caused of more muffled sound.

zombywoof57
02-07-14, 12:35 AM
THANKS!!!!!!!!ski1

ChrisGoesRock
03-19-14, 10:57 AM
Thank you from Huddinge Hill, Sweden