PDA

View Full Version : Interview w/ Noel Redding for ROCKSTARS by Richard Robinson 1969 (?)

Olvator
06-29-08, 12:32 PM
Interview with Noel by Richard Robinson at an unknown radio station.
Broadcast on "Rock Stars" 29.8.69.

total time: 2:44 min.

Lineage: my cassette (no gen info) > Edirol > wav > flac

I have never been able to really verify the date and background of this interview. But it is not included in the „Seeping up...." compilation, so I thought some might grab this.

My tape says this interview is from October 2nd 1969, not saying whether it should be the recording or broadcasting date. I actually doubt both of those possibilities.

I donīt know where I got that info from, but in my notes, it says that Jimi and Noel were interviewed by Richard Robinson for Hullaboo on Jan 23rd 1968. Maybe this is from those sessions and was broadcast the following year?

If anyone can shed more light onto this, please go ahead.

olvator

douchebagsden
06-29-08, 01:01 PM
I'd love to hear that studio session he talks about at the end

orcanaoftime
06-29-08, 04:19 PM
This may be from May 01, 1969.

The only other interview with Noel I know of is:

October 01, 1969
Interview with Noel by Klas Burling (6.13)

Anybody have that one by the way?

Olvator
06-29-08, 04:41 PM
This may be from May 01, 1969.

The only other interview with Noel I know of is:

October 01, 1969
Interview with Noel by Klas Burling (6.13)

Anybody have that one by the way?

the Klas Burling interview is included in the "Sweeping up..." compilation, which is still on the tracker...
and why exactly May 1st? any background info (source of info?)

douchebagsden
06-29-08, 04:52 PM
may or june would make sense, he refers to a studio session in london 4 months ago, which would be around the time he was in london for the royal albert hall shows.

orcanaoftime
06-29-08, 04:57 PM
Olvatore,

I have no other info except:

May 01, 1969 Interview at an unknown radio station. Broadcast on Rock Stars 29.8.69

I keep a list of all the Hendrix recordings in a word document so I know which ones I have or need. I'm not sure where I got that info from. Maybe the internet, a book, who knows.

Olvator
06-30-08, 02:07 AM
ok thanks, orcanoftime!
johan, hp or kees. any further info from you?

johanincr
06-30-08, 08:39 AM
01-23-68: Jimi and Noel Redding are interviewed by Richard Robinson for Hullabaloo at Upper Berkeley Street
according to http://www.nii.net/~obie/jimi_hendrix_live.htm#1968

Noel mentions a jam in London about 4 months ago, which would be possible if the interview is from jan 68. (21-30 august 67 and 13sep-8oct 1967 were periods the JHE were in the UK)

If the interview is from may 1969 its ALSO possible to have had a jam in London about 4 months previous. (RAH shows period)

EG mentions a jam at the Speakeasy with 'Rocky' on Bongos and others on 28 feb 1969.

So, i am pretty damn inconclusive. Noel talks about his own recordings too, and generally to me sounds more down like he would be in early 69 than early 68, but that may even be the pitch/speed of the tape that is too low.

Olvator
06-30-08, 03:47 PM
So, i am pretty damn inconclusive. Noel talks about his own recordings too, and generally to me sounds more down like he would be in early 69 than early 68, but that may even be the pitch/speed of the tape that is too low.

i also think that 1969 is more likely. the way he talks about his or Jimiīs style to work in the studio, sounds pretty frustrated, and tired of all the hundreds of takes they did, but not while chandler was still producing. "I donīt mess around...." or "then I leave and let Jimi do his dozens of overdubs" would probably not have been the tenor in Sept. 1967 (if this was from Jan 68). I think those frustrations developed around mid 68...so yes, 1969 semms to make sense. so May 1st might actually be the date.

firstrays
07-09-08, 03:45 AM
This interview is on Sweeping Up The Pieces Of Yesterday's Life 3rd Edition.
Dated as 02.11.69, interview by Klas Burling for Swedish radio.
(Disc 6, Track 7)

This CTT vesion has a 'lead in and out' making it longer but also there is some speed difference.
firstrays

Olvator
07-09-08, 08:48 AM
This interview is on Sweeping Up The Pieces Of Yesterday's Life 3rd Edition.
Dated as 02.11.69, interview by Klas Burling for Swedish radio.
(Disc 6, Track 7)

This CTT vesion has a 'lead in and out' making it longer but also there is some speed difference.
firstrays

hmmm....that seems strange. i have not compared it to the Burling interview, but this is definetely NOT Klas Burling conducting the interview, is it?
I seem to remember the Burling interview as I have it on some cassette still, need to find it, and that one was longer....will check and let you all know

kees1954
08-02-08, 02:58 AM
ok thanks, orcanoftime!
johan, hp or kees. any further info from you?

The info about the possible recording date came from Noel Redding's biography manuscript. He lists May 1, 1969 as a date on which he did a radio interview. Note!!! After all these years I just noticed Noel doesnīt list a radio interview on May 1, but May 29 1969 instead. We still have to find out whether Richard Robinson was on Hawaii during that period. I always liked Noel's description of the change of style the Experience underwent. He said they were playing much more "rock 'n' rolly." I never could comprehend what Noel exactly meant by that. The Experience played much longer versions of their songs by that time with elongated improvisations ... Myself I have the feeling that Jimi was inspired to do so by his visit to Cream's farewell concert in LA. I also liked Noel's description of a jam they played at the Olympic Studios with horns and conga. Hope that's going to be on the CD box announced for the 40th anniversary of Jimi's death.

Kees