PDA

View Full Version : The Woodstock "kidnapping"

dino77
12-04-11, 10:24 AM
Seen this?
http://woodstock.ulsterpublishing.com/view/full_story/15291527/article--Are-you-experienced---Parts-I---II---The-kidnapping-of-Jimi-Hendrix--It-happened-in-Shokan%E2%80%A6didn%E2%80%99t-it---?instance=secondary_stories_left_column

stplsd
12-04-11, 12:16 PM
Interesting, but I seem to remember this already being linked at the thread on the Classic Rock magazine article? I could be wrong, don't have time right now

Ezy Rider
12-04-11, 10:00 PM
I haven't seen it before, thanks.

And it seems that everyone is going to publish on Hendrix these days:

according to the Arizonan [Conrad Loreto], who said he was saving his own theories about Jimi and Jeffery’s deaths being tied to voodoo. For his own book, currently being pitched by his agent.

This version I have not heard before:ambivalence:

Sharpstat
12-06-11, 01:39 PM
I sent a copy of the article to Juma Sultan who I'm hoping will reply back to me with an answer. This sort of meshes with the twins story of Jimi and the coke dealer?

MourningStar
12-07-11, 06:36 PM
I sent a copy of the article to Juma Sultan who I'm hoping will reply back to me with an answer. This sort of meshes with the twins story of Jimi and the coke dealer?outta sight! hope you're able to report back soon.

stplsd
12-09-11, 10:03 AM
Should be "interesting" but I'm not expecting to be enlightened;) Thanks for your effort, hope it pays off with some real info.

Aaron Jones
12-11-11, 02:04 PM
-----most of this info is summed up from a few printed sources, and a little from people who knew him or lived in the area--- as well as the musician lists from recordings from the Shokan house. This to the best of my knowledge is an accurate account of others' recollections of the events...----

I've met people who've kinda knew him, and met some people who had stayed in the area during the Shokan house time... I knew Jimi was trying out all kinds of different acts, as he was becoming tired with "Experience"... He was wanting to try out different musicians for possible new line-up and FOR sure Woodstock musician roster. Billy Cox, as well as some of Jimi's old buddies were there jamming. Though management wanted Jimi to use their musicians, perhaps... because they were under the label already. There have long been "mob like" tendencies of many managers over their groups. I think more than anything, Jimi was burned out.

So they went to get Jimi at the Shokan to come play some clubs in town...

Mike came out in the limo to pick Jimi up from the Shokan (with others), and the limo driver had a .38 and shot it a few times (at a target?). The supposed reason they came out was with the intention to get Jimi to come out to play some smaller club scenes in town.... run by local gangsters, perhaps? Owner Bobby Woods owned a club Jimi used to frequent, Salvation club, an African American type-discoteche at the time. Bobby fought against muscle when they tried to get him to pay protection money for his club. The Mafia being upset made him take on Jon Riccobono, a key figure in the Gambino crime family at the time. He eventually upset the wrong people and ended up dead 3 months later.
The the club decided to take on more of a live music theme, and were quite insistent that Jimi come play-- though he wanted to avoid playing small clubs at the time.

According to people around the scene at this time report that Jimi supposedly had been kidnapped after playing a club, the Scene club(in town), one night before. A group people were trying to muscle Jimi....got kidnapped by people claiming to be the Mafia, supposedly, and then was forced to go score some cocaine... They whisked him off to an apartment in Manhattan. Supposedly keeping him at this apartment for awhile. They told him to call Mike Jefferey. Bob Lavine took the call and then in turn called both Mike and Jerry Morrison telling them that Jimi was dead unless Mike handed over Jimi's contract.

It was just street punks, and this had happened before at the Scene club... usually by someone claiming to be Mafia, and then hustling the right kind of looking person to "muscle-in" on perhaps. By the time Morrison arrived at the place where they were holding Jimi...Morrison and his men quickly "guessed" they would go to the Shokan house. Then Morrison's men quickly over come his kidnappers to find Jimi calmly sitting in a chair in his house. The consensus of the few people Jimi told (himself) is that it was a setup organized by either Jerry Morrison at Mike Jefferey's behest to scare Jimi OR... by Morrison to show Mike that he's not the only one with "connections" So there's some dispute whether or not he was actually kidnapped. Why would they return Jimi to his house if he was really being "kidnapped"? Trixie Sullivan, among others, contend the kidnap theory WAS real (perpetrated by "younger" gangsters trying to muscle in on the music business) and said the kidnappers realized who Mike (who had some heavy "contacts" in the music industry) was with and just "let him go".

There were TONS of hangers on at the Shokan house... Mike Ephron, jazz keyboardist at some jams-- Juma Sultan on flute, Jerry Velez on percussion, Mitch Mitchell was there some... Larry Lee, and Billy Cox, of course. Jimi was mostly playing a 12 string acoustic for a good part of the time when he got there. I think the electrics came out after they'd been there for a little while-- and got more equipment to the house.

I thought I remember reading somewhere, that he had a nervous melt-down in the medical tent at Woodstock a night or two before he was supposed to play, my guess might be too much of everything. Supposedly they had to give him a shot of something? When he mentioned having a nervous breakdown, he probably really did. Artists were under tremendous pressure not to violate terms of their contracts. And managers would do anything in their power to make sure that they are the ones who solely control all of someone like Jimi's artistic license and make them dependent on the system. I think people did not have Jimi's best interests at heart and literally pulled him apart from too much attention. I think drugs were used to keep artists hooked, and under management and record contracts at that time, especially in that area. Concert promoters and managers would do whatever it takes to keep their artists playing at the height of their ability, including making them dependent in every way possible to management...

--- that's what I've read about it, as well... and if I happen to hear anything more from people there or who knew them(I can't remember where I met) I will further refine the story...-- cheers

Blitzman
12-11-11, 04:16 PM
Good read.
Thanks.

stplsd
12-11-11, 04:27 PM
-----most of this info is summed up from a few printed sources, and a little from people who knew him or lived in the area--- as well as the musician lists from recordings from the Shokan house. This to the best of my knowledge is an accurate account of others' recollections of the events...----

I've met people who've kinda knew him, and met some people who had stayed in the area during the Shokan house time... I knew Jimi was trying out all kinds of different acts, as he was becoming tired with "Experience"... He was wanting to try out different musicians for possible new line-up and FOR sure Woodstock musician roster. Billy Cox, as well as some of Jimi's old buddies were there jamming. Though management wanted Jimi to use their musicians, perhaps... because they were under the label already. There have long been "mob like" tendencies of many managers over their groups. I think more than anything, Jimi was burned out.

So they went to get Jimi at the Shokan to come play some clubs in town...

Mike came out in the limo to pick Jimi up from the Shokan (with others), and the limo driver had a .38 and shot it a few times (at a target?). The supposed reason they came out was with the intention to get Jimi to come out to play some smaller club scenes in town.... run by local gangsters, perhaps? Owner Bobby Woods owned a club Jimi used to frequent, Salvation club, an African American type-discoteche at the time. Bobby fought against muscle when they tried to get him to pay protection money for his club. The Mafia being upset made him take on Jon Riccobono, a key figure in the Gambino crime family at the time. He eventually upset the wrong people and ended up dead 3 months later.
The the club decided to take on more of a live music theme, and were quite insistent that Jimi come play-- though he wanted to avoid playing small clubs at the time.

According to people around the scene at this time report that Jimi supposedly had been kidnapped after playing a club, the Scene club(in town), one night before. A group people were trying to muscle Jimi....got kidnapped by people claiming to be the Mafia, supposedly, and then was forced to go score some cocaine... They whisked him off to an apartment in Manhattan. Supposedly keeping him at this apartment for awhile. They told him to call Mike Jefferey. Bob Lavine took the call and then in turn called both Mike and Jerry Morrison telling them that Jimi was dead unless Mike handed over Jimi's contract.

It was just street punks, and this had happened before at the Scene club... usually by someone claiming to be Mafia, and then hustling the right kind of looking person to "muscle-in" on perhaps. By the time Morrison arrived at the place where they were holding Jimi...Morrison and his men quickly "guessed" they would go to the Shokan house. Then Morrison's men quickly over come his kidnappers to find Jimi calmly sitting in a chair in his house. The consensus of the few people Jimi told (himself) is that it was a setup organized by either Jerry Morrison at Mike Jefferey's behest to scare Jimi OR... by Morrison to show Mike that he's not the only one with "connections" So there's some dispute whether or not he was actually kidnapped. Why would they return Jimi to his house if he was really being "kidnapped"? Trixie Sullivan, among others, contend the kidnap theory WAS real (perpetrated by "younger" gangsters trying to muscle in on the music business) and said the kidnappers realized who Mike (who had some heavy "contacts" in the music industry) was with and just "let him go".

There were TONS of hangers on at the Shokan house... Mike Ephron, jazz keyboardist at some jams-- Juma Sultan on flute, Jerry Velez on percussion, Mitch Mitchell was there some... Larry Lee, and Billy Cox, of course. Jimi was mostly playing a 12 string acoustic for a good part of the time when he got there. I think the electrics came out after they'd been there for a little while-- and got more equipment to the house.

I thought I remember reading somewhere, that he had a nervous melt-down in the medical tent at Woodstock a night or two before he was supposed to play, my guess might be too much of everything. Supposedly they had to give him a shot of something? When he mentioned having a nervous breakdown, he probably really did. Artists were under tremendous pressure not to violate terms of their contracts. And managers would do anything in their power to make sure that they are the ones who solely control all of someone like Jimi's artistic license and make them dependent on the system. I think people did not have Jimi's best interests at heart and literally pulled him apart from too much attention. I think drugs were used to keep artists hooked, and under management and record contracts at that time, especially in that area. Concert promoters and managers would do whatever it takes to keep their artists playing at the height of their ability, including making them dependent in every way possible to management...

--- that's what I've read about it, as well... and if I happen to hear anything more from people there or who knew them(I can't remember where I met) I will further refine the story...-- cheers

What a load of uncordinated, blurred, waffle from sources that are easily available verbatim here at CTT, trying to make out whatever suits their picture of why he died. Obvious post death BS;)

Sharpstat
12-20-11, 05:58 PM
Got a reply from Juma ( According to the article I never knew he was a "hanger on"). He asked me specifically what I wanted answered and I replied was Jimi really kidnapped or was he actually hanging out with the coke dealer the whole time trying to avoid everyone. Still hoping he'll reply back with his side of the story.

MourningStar
12-20-11, 07:18 PM
... and I replied was Jimi really kidnapped or was he actually hanging out with the coke dealer the whole time trying to avoid everyone. ...So, it is one or the other? Nothing else possible?

stplsd
12-20-11, 10:45 PM
The kidnap story was first set in London and told by Curtis Knight, much later it was re-told by Gerry "Morrison" (real name Brietman) starring him as the hero and re-set in NYC and the house at Boiceville (not "Woodstock", or nearby "Shokan" - a different and separate 'hamlet' of the 'town' of Olive - either);)