PDA

View Full Version : JH and EC-1967 conversation

tallboy333
08-17-08, 11:27 AM
This tape has been around for a while as it was referenced in the David Henderson bio 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Sky', first published in 1978. The more in-depth reference in Shapiro and Glebeek's Electric Gypsy indicates it was recorded sometime in early 1967 at a London club by a journalist from Beat Instrumental magazine (no name given, sorry) in company of John Mayall's ex-girlfriend Chrissie Charles. As Jimi was being interviewed, Eric Clapton came in and sat down. This was several months after the jam at Polytechnic College where Jimi showed his prowess by jumping up onstage and leading the Cream through his own incendiary version of 'Killing Floor', basically burning Clapton on his home turf. Hard to say how much contact JH and EC had had up to this point, but this may have been their first extended conversation away from the stage.
Jimi dominates the conversation, his enthusiasm and energy bubbling over. Eric is deferential, although not afraid to make his point when he feels it necessary. There seems to be a lot of good feeling between the two, and it seems they both take the competition as a positive thing, a way to make them both work harder to get better. At one point Jimi kisses Eric and says "I just kissed the fairest soul brother in England" (beginning of track 6).
This CD was remastered by a friend from cassette. My CD had almost all the signal on the right side so I mono-mixed it with Soundforge to make it more legible and easier to listen to. For guitarists and Jimi fans, this is like being a fly on the wall at a meeting between George Washington and Thomas Jefferson in 1775 Philadelphia. Enjoy and (puff puff) pass it on!

Emilovious
08-17-08, 12:40 PM
Thanks a lot for the upload and nice info-text.
I have this interview, of course, but I'm curious
to hear how this transfer/re-master sounds.
As a non-English native, it was always
hard for me to understand most of the interview.
Is anyone willing to make a transcript for us who
have trouble understanding it.

douchebagsden
08-17-08, 01:32 PM
thanks, I havn't heard this yet

stplsd
08-20-08, 04:40 PM
Emilovius - For almost complete transcript check out Jimipassiton JPIO web site Files section under Transcripts

tallboy333
08-26-08, 05:46 AM
Do you know exactly which heading it is under or could you post a link? I looked on there and I couldn't find it.
Thanks

stplsd
08-30-08, 06:36 AM
Transcipts>
Live transcripts>
1966-67>
67-03-16, LONDON, SPEAKEASY, INTERVIEW.rtf (http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/MCi5SPKZzF3lNUQSF9vhrDVv5_EH16QsLv44v6npe-YhvSIak6DzM9uHJ7ukSX9aB1xFab86RxwHMJvwW8IpIleuQGUQ 0Z4gMYNSsw/Transcripts/%27Live%20transcripts/1966-67/67-03-16%2C%20LONDON%2C%20SPEAKEASY%2C%20INTERVIEW.rtf)

cosmic
08-31-08, 01:20 PM
stplsd, link doesn't work, man

tallboy333
08-31-08, 02:41 PM
It's not exactly a link. You have to be registered on the site first of all. If you are and you go there, just follow stplsd's directions and you will find it under the heading as he posted it. It took me a minute or two to track it down too. Would it be permissible to post it as part of the torrent and if so how would I do that?

Nonhuman
05-08-09, 05:07 PM
This looks very interesting. Thanks Tallboy333 for the uploading, and thanks to anyone present that can throw a seed in here. Have a great day!

Nonhuman

stplsd
05-08-09, 08:10 PM
If you listen to the accents, it's quite clear that Eric Clapton only joins the conversation near the end, just before he is interviewed on his own by the journalist from Beat Instrumental, who is the other speaker throughout most of the Hendrix conversation.

tbozzio
05-23-09, 07:54 PM
NIce upload. Thanks.

zombywoof57
03-20-11, 12:37 PM
thanks

rgutter
03-20-11, 06:54 PM
It's not exactly a link. You have to be registered on the site first of all. If you are and you go there, just follow stplsd's directions and you will find it under the heading as he posted it. It took me a minute or two to track it down too. Would it be permissible to post it as part of the torrent and if so how would I do that?
It would be great to have that as part of this torrent, or a separate one if that's easier (which it probably is). Can't off hand see why it wouldn't be allowed.