PDA

View Full Version : 6-27-70 Boston 2nd source

tallboy333
08-26-08, 08:59 PM
After downloading and checking out the ATM 062 source for this show, I put it up against my CDR which a friend and I mastered from cassette several years ago, and I have to say our source sounds much clearer and louder. I believe this was the first source referenced on the Ask the Axis website where the song Freedom is cut. Here Freedom has been spliced back in from the same source the 062 was taken from, as you can hear the taper speak to his girlfriend in the same spot. This song sounds the same as the 062 source but the rest of the show is much more present and audible. The Watchtower, especially is, IMO, the best one he ever played. THIS is the way the song was meant to sound onstage.

1. Stone Free 4:05
2. Lover Man 3:02
3. Red House 8:03
4. Freedom 4:27
5. Foxy Lady 4:41
6. Purple Haze 3:20
7. SSB 1:21
8. Watchtower 4:01
9. Message to Love 4:00
10. Fire 2:59
11. SCM 4:00
12. VCSR 10:24 TT--54:34

Lineage: cassette>CDR>EAC>Flac
There is a bit of a weird splice, with the end of SCM featuring the false start to the VCSR, then fading out and the song starting proper. I'm pretty sure this was on the original cassette, I've chosen not to alter it here.

This is one of my favorite shows from this tour and deserves to be heard in its best form. This show always struck me as a bit of an anomaly as most of the songs are played short and similar to the recorded versions, almost like an early Experience show. There is only one new song and one BOG song. Unlike some of the jamfests that would turn up elsewhere on this tour, here everything is played tight and to the bone. Until you get to the Voodoo chile, of course.... :)

jamminjimi
08-27-08, 04:45 AM
Thank you very much!

RamesesII
08-27-08, 06:09 AM
Thank you very much for sharing :000-thanx:

Emilovious
08-27-08, 09:15 AM
ATM 062 is a composite of two sources.
All songs except Freedom (2nd source - mono) are from the 1st source (stereo).
I've recently uploaded on DIME newly discovered 3rd source (stereo - complete show).

RamesesII
08-27-08, 09:24 AM
All songs except All Along The Watchtower (2nd source - mono) are from the 1st source (stereo).
I've recently uploaded on DIME newly discovered 3rd source (stereo - complete show).

Quick nip over to Dime then. You're supposed to be away!!!! I've unearthed another elderly vine - Mark J's Mega Collection - never had so many requests for a vine and all within the first 30 minutes of offering it.

PS Dime pulled my Elvis vid - for two very silly reasons. Lots of interest on TTD though. When I up it at Hunger City I'll include As Pulled At Dime in the title.

Emilovious
08-27-08, 09:34 AM
Hi Rameses!
I am away, I'm posting this from the Internet caffe.
I can also download (they have great speeds here).
So I'll be around but can't help you with Paul's DVD
until I'm back home o Monday, September the 1st.
See you ...

RamesesII
08-27-08, 09:46 AM
Hi Rameses!
I am away, I'm posting this from the Internet caffe.
I can also download (they have great speeds here).
So I'll be around but can't help you with Paul's DVD
until I'm back home o Monday, September the 1st.
See you ...

You can't keep away from here!! :D Nice to see you around even at a distance. The Mark J Collection went down so well that I reckon the Paul's Boots will be the same - maybe better. I sent out three copies of the Mark J one and still disappointed a lot of people. It just goes to show - if you offer the right sort of vine there are still loads of people hanging around JPIO. I was beginning to wonder.

Emilovious
08-27-08, 10:37 AM
You can't keep away from here!! :D Nice to see you around even at a distance. The Mark J Collection went down so well that I reckon the Paul's Boots will be the same - maybe better. I sent out three copies of the Mark J one and still disappointed a lot of people. It just goes to show - if you offer the right sort of vine there are still loads of people hanging around JPIO. I was beginning to wonder.

Hahaha, I can't live without this place - so true.
Considering MJ's vine, JPIO is a place that just seemingly sleeps for awhile (especially during the Summer periods - it's the same every year) but awakes at an instance the moment something interesting is on offer.
As soon as I'm back home I'll send you the titles from the Paul's vine I promised.
Don't worry, I won't forget.

Considering this Boston '70 torrent, I really don't understand what is the uploader offering (I didn't hear it yet) but I doubt it's the 2nd source as the title suggests. I know nothing about the transfer but this is either 1st source with Freedom from the 2nd source or a complete 2nd source which can't be an upgrade when compared with any transfer of the 1st source we have in circulation already.
Possibly new (different) transfer but most probably a new remaster.

tallboy333
08-27-08, 05:29 PM
Well, nothing like a little controversy to liven up the place, I always say! Emil--you're gonna go prematurely gray. You're on vacation! I know, I know, the true fan never sleeps. I uploaded this show for one good reason--it SOUNDS BETTER than the one currently torrented as ATM 062, at least the version I downloaded, which I am assuming is the only one on the site as I did not see any other in the threads or the archives, and I searched very carefully! Here is what I know of the background of the tape: we received it sometime in early to mid-90's, sometime before 1995. I believe it came from either Germany or the Netherlands. We made copies and listened to it for years. It's one of my favorite shows, Jimi was just "on" that night. About 1998 the first CD burners started coming out and my friend bought 2 stand-alone Yamahas. This was one of the first tapes we remastered. It was fed through a 40-band graphic EQ straight into the burner.

The person we got the tape from indicated that the Freedom was from a lower-quality source but he had inserted it in the interest of completion. The weird cut between the SCM and the VCSR was on the original tape, and since there was no good way to fix it at the time, we left it "as is".

The ATM source doesn't feature too many places, that I could hear anyway, where the taper or his friends speak. One is at the beginning of Stone Free, but my version begins with the music and doesn't feature the chatter. Another is at the beginning of Freedom, and you can hear this on both sources. On my version it seems quieter, possibly this source is a couple of generations higher on my tape.
Both ATA and PYE refer to two sources, one complete as Good and one missing Freedom as VG. This, I believe, is the raw version of that source. PYE lists it as a stereo recording, that sounds right to me. I can't wait to hear the 3rd source as this is such an awesome show. People who say he couldn't play in '70 should have this jammed in their ears and played over and over and over...ala Clockwork Orange. Then they will know the truth!

At any rate, I put this up because "we really care for your ears." So put it on and turn it up til they BLEED!

"And I slooshied...the great Jimi von...O my brothers"
Tallboy

twood70
08-27-08, 09:45 PM
All songs except Freedom (2nd source - mono) are from the 1st source (stereo).
Where on DIME? I was just there and could not find it. Thanks again, btw.

yelapavision
08-27-08, 11:20 PM
Is this one your EQ'd version?

[QUOTE: About 1998 the first CD burners started coming out and my friend bought 2 stand-alone Yamahas. This was one of the first tapes we remastered. It was fed through a 40-band graphic EQ straight into the burner.

tallboy333
08-28-08, 04:09 PM
Yes, this is the version through the EQ. No significant changes but we did boost the high end slightly.
BTW--Emil, when do us non-Dimers get to hear this 3rd source that you mentioned?
:minipersonen065:

Emilovious
08-29-08, 05:21 AM
First, for those who are not DIME members I'll upload the 3rd source as soon as I came back on Monday.
Second, I finally had the chance to hear this transfer (however had to decode it into MP3 because the computers in this Internet cafe don't have speakers and I have only small Sony's voicerecorder with only 2GBs of memory already full. So I transcoded the Flacs to MP3 and uploaded them to my voicerecorder.
Since I don't have the ATM 062 or any other Boston recording with me I was unable to make direct comparison but there was no need for that. This transfer is immediately recognizable as VERY GOOD and VERY CLEAR - I enjoyed it very much. There's some hiss present but besides that all instruments are very clear. Bass included which is on all other transfers buzzing or drowned in echo, in short not clearly audible (Boston Garden's acoustic is terrible). I can't say if the reason for this transfer's quality is clever EQ or simply better transfer or higher generation of source used but that isn't most important IMHO. Until we get to hear verified transfer of the master of the 1st source this transfer stands as one of the best - at least that's my impression at the moment, I repeat, impression without the option of comparison with any other version of the same source.
Freedom from the 2nd source sounds bad here as on all other transfers and Red House is, of course, the best (excellent version) but still, IMHO the best sounding Red House can be found on the 3rd source which you'll be able to hear and verify as soon as I come back on September the 1st and upload it here.
Thanks for the upload. Great torrent.
Emil

Emilovious
08-29-08, 05:39 AM
Boston, 3rd source on DIME:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=172183

No seeds at the moment and I can't help because I'm not at home.
Will upload it here in a few days (September 1st).

RamesesII
08-29-08, 05:42 AM
Boston, 3rd source on DIME:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=172183

No seeds at the moment and I can't help because I'm not at home.
Will upload it here in a few days (September 1st).

Thanks Emil. I did nip over there but couldn't download it.

Emilovious
08-29-08, 07:43 AM
Thanks Emil. I did nip over there but couldn't download it.

If you start downloading, someone will very soon notice that you need a seed and jump on it.
So, don't hesitate to click on the torrent file even if there's no seeders at the moment. That's not Demonoid or Pirate Bay. People will soon notice you're there trying to leech and help you finish the torrent.

cmerry65
08-29-08, 07:56 AM
Thanks for sharing!

opib
08-29-08, 12:23 PM
@emil
I downloaded (don't know where) the 3rd source 3 or 4 days before you uploaded it to the dime (at least the file dates say so...) and it contains only one disc. It was named 'boston3_modified' but the readme doesn't tell whats modified.

Can you shed any light on this? I guess you uploaded it here before the site crash back then? Or the electric sky church tracker? Do you remember, what modified meant back then?

Should i seed it?

edit:
forgot, many thanks for the upload tallboy! :)

Emilovious
08-29-08, 12:35 PM
It was phase corrected.
Of course, you can seed that one here.
However, I'd advise you to upload the one that contains both
the phase corrected and EQ-d one.
They complement each other very much, IMHO.
However, you do what you think is best.

Where did you download the Boston phase corrected version from?
From the Crosstown Torrents!!! That torrent was uploaded here by Johan.
It was during the early period of this site. All the torrents uploaded before January 2008 are not available anymore because of the glitch in the site's memory (if I remember correctly).

P.S. We talk about Boston '70, 3rd source, of course.

opib
08-29-08, 01:27 PM
Yeah, Boston 3rd source :)

As i don't have the 2 discs you uploaded to the dime i'll wait for you to seed it and grab the eq'ed version then.
Don't want to cause any confusion!

Thanks for your reply and a happy weekend to all you people out there! :)

Experiencereunited
03-06-09, 01:26 AM
What a Watchtower! The energy on this source is incredible on that tune. Did the source ever get uploaded on this site?

Experiencereunited
03-06-09, 01:27 AM
The 3rd source is what I meant. Sorry a bit too much wine!

Roland Stone
03-06-09, 09:13 PM
Are the three sources merge-worthy?

MusicJunky
04-27-09, 08:52 PM
Thanks for providing this!

sixpense
04-29-09, 02:26 PM
Thanks!

Jimi_Uchihaeyez
05-08-09, 12:55 AM
2nd source, WHOOHOOO

Just a question but does anyone know if a recording of Hey Baby from this show exists?