PDA

View Full Version : Which torrents should be labeled as a "re-seed" ?

Emilovious
09-02-08, 02:56 PM
I'd like to discuss this matter because I think there's some confusion about the use this term.
What is a re-seed? Of course, we all know what it really is, but how should we use it on our site?
I think we should use the term only in case something was already torrented here before (only on CT), then that same torrent died (or was removed) and someone uploads exactly the same files again (usually upon someone's request).
To call a reseed a torrent uploaded on another site awhile or long ago shouldn't be called a "re(-)seed". Uploader should put in the text file where he grabbed it from (if he knows/remembers) and that's all.
For example, if we use it the way it was used for the "Sacramento '70" torrent then at least 50% of all torrents uploaded on CT can immediately be re-labeled as re-seeds because they've been uploaded on other sites before.

Also there seem to be a confusion about the defferences between "requesting a seed" and "requesting a re-seed".
If we have an alive torrent on the site without anyone seeding it at the moment - please post a "seed-request" at the same thread.

If you know that a certain torrent was available here before (on the old version of the site or isn't on the torrent list now but you know for sure it was available before) you'll post a re-seed request in the "Requests" forum.

If you can't find a torrent you're searching for in the Archive (and you can't remember) or you (don't) know (if) it was [ne]ever available here on CT, post a request - guess where? - in the "Requests" forum.

(the last paragraph was written in a "kind of" auto-ironic style).

MourningStar
09-02-08, 06:45 PM
Which torrents should be labeled as a "re-seed" ?Wow ... er, uh, .... huh?

I think most bt-veterans will agree that for a torrent to be labeled "re-seed" the following situation would be the case :

The torrent was manually deleted by a moderator or an administrator (we as 'normal' members have not this capability after a certain (very short) amount of time). If you want to re-seed such a torrent, find out the reason for the deletion and make sure your re-post will not run afoul of the same problem. If approval is granted then the torrent would be labeled 'Re-seed'. Now, are we referring to the name of the '***.torrent' file itself or the title of the post it is in? I don't know ... (is this even important? to me, no-not yet, if it is, please explain why this label is important)

thnx,

Emilovious
09-02-08, 06:55 PM
First, the above comment wasn't written by a BT veteran, that's for sure.

On all sites, and that will happen eventually on this site too, most torrents get deleted after not being seeded for certain period of time.
This isn't about torrents that got deleted because their content isn't in accordance with the rules of the site. Re-seeding them would be neither wise nor worth discussing.

MourningStar
09-02-08, 07:02 PM
First, the above comment wasn't written by a BT veteran, that's for sure.Agreed!

...This isn't about torrents that got deleted because their content ... blah blah woof woof ...
There was no words that referred to 'content' as being the 'reason' for removal. Read reply again and understand what you read.

MourningStar
09-02-08, 07:11 PM
a google result :

"reseed

When there are zero seeds for a given torrent (and not enough peers to have a distributed copy), then eventually all the peers will get stuck with an incomplete file, since no one in the swarm has the missing pieces. When this happens, someone with a complete file (a seed) must connect to the swarm so that those missing pieces can be transferred. This is called reseeding. Usually a request for a reseed comes with an implicit promise that the requester will leave his or her client open for some time period after finishing (to add longevity to the torrent) in return for the kind soul reseeding the file."

BBB
09-02-08, 07:50 PM
re-seeding could be viewed in a couple different ways....yes..when there are no seeders left on a torrent, it more or less dies.

If someone requests a reseed on a dead torrent, and you have the origianl files, or your files match...then just opening up the torrent file from the thread and pointing your torrent client to the location of the files could be considered a reseed.

However, sometimes, you may have a particular show that is no longer active and your files do not match the original torrent .... in this case, if a re-seed is requested, you can create a new thread with a new torrent file, as long as you note that it is a re-seed so folks will know.

There are some trackers out there that will either archive or delete old torrent that have been inactive for a while......I guess it all depends on how big the site is as to how often this is done....

Emilovious
09-02-08, 08:21 PM
a google result :

"reseed

When there are zero seeds for a given torrent (and not enough peers to have a distributed copy), then eventually all the peers will get stuck with an incomplete file, since no one in the swarm has the missing pieces. When this happens, someone with a complete file (a seed) must connect to the swarm so that those missing pieces can be transferred. This is called reseeding. Usually a request for a reseed comes with an implicit promise that the requester will leave his or her client open for some time period after finishing (to add longevity to the torrent) in return for the kind soul reseeding the file."

Well, that's exactly why I started this thread.
That's NOT a re-seed. In such case you're simply helping seed already active torrent that was temporarily without a seeder. For example if there's no seeders on an active torrent on Demonoid it's called - Seed Request - there's even a link called "Request a seed" (not a re-seed !) on every active torrent's thread.
However, Demonoid have one unique feature that puts a sign "dead" by every torrent that misses a seed even the torrent is still on the list and actually not at all dead. If the torrent is without the seeder for more than 30 days it's deleted (on Demonoid) - then, when it's been deleted you can ask for a re-seed! You can re-seed only dead torrents.
Torrent can be active WITHOUT a single seeder (no seeders but not dead - still on the torrent list among other active torrents).
Torrent is alive as long it's on the torrent list of the site and seeders as well as leechers can jump on it at any time by simply clicking on a torrent file if they have the files on their hard-drive. When people post a comment saying "please help me finish this one, I'm stuck at 98% - you do not re-seed that torrent - you just help seeding it).

You can re-seed only dead torrents, the one we do not have on the torrent list (you can't click on the torrent file but have to create new one and open new - identical thread as the old dead torrent).
The files also need to be identical to the old, sometime in the past active torrent. Not necessary of the same dimensions. You can, for example, re-seed the "A.D. 1968" bootleg (assuming it's been deleted from the site) by extracting files with EAC from the original silver boot if you have it and post it again on the site. That would also be a re-seed even the files are not of the same size as the old ones but the musical content is identical.