PDA

View Full Version : Tax Free by H&K

kcox5342
10-11-08, 07:13 PM
I was just groovin' to the middle night of Winterland and I realized that I've been listening to Jimi play Tax Free for 20+ years now and I've no idea what the original sounds like. I don't know if this qualifies as a "seed request", but where and how can I track down and hear for myself a recording of Hansen and Karlsen playing this song? Who the hell are these guys, anyway? Has this song ever been officially released, if not is there a bootleg, how did they meet Jimi, all that. Tax Free can be a monster jam - Ottawa and LA Forum would have to be my favorites... and Bologna... all three very different renditions of the same song. So I was wondering, where can I find more info? Any googling I do turns up a lot of government documents and Jimi info. but nothing on the original. I'm way curious.

MourningStar
10-12-08, 02:07 AM
I think it was on youtube.

opib
10-12-08, 02:11 AM
Thanks for the tip MS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1VibSgVRbo

cosmic
10-12-08, 05:59 AM
hey kcox, check out this link on PB http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3664331/Hansson_amp_Karlsson
and you will hear a bunch of swedish guys!
Hansson and Karlsson was a swedish duo i the sixties! Bo Hansson played organ and Jan Karlsson played drums. The music they performed was mostley instrumental jazzrock and psycedelia. The music is built on improvisations and their shows was very different from one to another and the group inspired the swedish proggressive rock initially.They got acquineted with Jimi and played with him a couple of times, among others the Filips Clup in Stockholm. Jimi was apperently interested in the duo's music and, as we know, played and recorded one of their compositions, Tax Free. The duo split after a couple of years and Hansson become a solo musician and Karlsson became an actor with great success. These guys was very loose hanging chaps and cool people in that era of time, just as our Jimi and sorry to say that time wont come again.

Olvator
10-12-08, 06:45 AM
i have some Hansson / Karlsson live stuff I could seed. I don´t remember if Tax Free was among that, it was a boot compilation of swedish radio sessions. let me know if you´re interested....

dino77
10-12-08, 07:32 AM
I saw the reformed band about ten years ago. Was great to hear them play "Tax Free"! Also have their original albums and a few live tapes.

Does anyone know the story about the short snippets circulating
that's supposed to be Hansson and Karlsson with Jimi?
I don't think Anders Lind, the engineer, has ever let anything out,
so it's probably a fake.

kcox5342
10-13-08, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the YouTube link! That was most interesting - it's definitely the same song, but different at the same time. I've always thought a collection of the songs Jimi covers and/or quotes would be very valuable to someone like me, who wasn't around for the 60's and doesn't catch all the references...

Ayler
10-13-08, 10:24 AM
Does anyone know the story about the short snippets circulating that's supposed to be Hansson and Karlsson with Jimi?
I don't think Anders Lind, the engineer, has ever let anything out, so it's probably a fake.If you talk about what we can find on "Kick Out The Jams" (ATM152), I don't hear any Jimi Hendrix there. Even on bass.
As there's flange/phasing on the guitar, this recordings could not have take place in september 67...

dino77
10-13-08, 03:04 PM
If you talk about what we can find on "Kick Out The Jams" (ATM152), I don't hear any Jimi Hendrix there. Even on bass.
As there's flange/phasing on the guitar, this recordings could not have take place in september 67...

Yes, those are the ones I was refering to. I'm also pretty convinced it's a fake. To me the whole recording sounds flanged, which could be done with an old recording. But there's none of Hansson and Karlsson's tunes, which is what they supposedly jammed on.