PDA

View Full Version : Unreleased Wish List

Roland Stone
10-28-08, 08:54 PM
What unreleased recordings are known to have existed but remain uncirculated? Here's my wishlist:

Taj Mahal Jam - Not the apartment jam incorrectly attribute to Taj. I'm talking about the REAL Taj Mahal/Jimi tape. Known to be exist because a writer from Rolling Stone magazine heard it and wrote about it. And Taj has confirmed it really happened. It's supposed to have some sort of crickets or nature sounds in the background.

Stephen Stills "White Nigger" - available in lo-fi on YouTube. Are there other songs from the same session?

The Ghetto Fighters tape - a tiny snippet has circulated. When do we get the rest?

Black Gold - isn't EH supposed to have this? What are they waiting for?

Miami Pop - same story. Is EH sitting on video of this? Are the songs already in circulation all the existing audio?

The Arthur Lee Olympic Studios Sessions - again not the FAKE "Midnight Sun" that circulates but the real thing with Ezy Rider and a long unnamed jam with Jimi and Remi Kabaka. Who knows if this still exists? Maybe its lost forever.

The Hansen & Karlssen session - something came up on the tracker recently that claims to be from this session. I listened and I'm not sure. What do you all think?

What else is out there that you're waiting for?

ap0llo
10-28-08, 11:55 PM
About Black Gold (from the Experience Hendrix site FAQ section):

QUESTION:
What is the status of the mythical Black Gold recordings? Do they exist? Have they been recovered? Are there any plans to release them in the future?

ANSWER:
There are currently no plans to release this material.

http://www.jimi-hendrix.com/magazine/faqs/faqs,0021.html

Sad but true :(.
Stephen Stills apparently dug up a bunch of unreleased tapes from that White Nigger session with Jimi playing on them, wasn't that news recently?

And the Hansen & Karlssen session tapes do exist, but someone said their manager is still holding onto them.

dino77
10-29-08, 05:38 AM
About Black Gold (from the Experience Hendrix site FAQ section):

And the Hansen & Karlssen session tapes do exist, but someone said their manager is still holding onto them.

Not their manager, their sound engineer.
And you have to give respect to the guy - after everyone
else have peddled everyhing and nothing in Jimi's name,
he still holds on to the tapes as he doesn't feel the material
is up to scratch.

Olvator
10-29-08, 07:45 AM
There also is the tape of Mick Jagger and Jimi jamming some songs. But Jagger has forbidden for it to be circulated, and the holder of the tape has apparently agrred to that.

About the Arthur Lee sessions....the track Ezy Rider is included in the album Vindicator from 72 (?), or at least in the CD reissue as a bonus track and by the way, it is a fantastic album. I donīt think there is any Jimi on the track though. BUT, there are reportedly more tunes on the False Start album that Jimi did overdubs for, aside from The Everlasting First. When the master tapes were remixed for the Love/Live
album in 1991, the engineers discovered additional guitar overdubs on almost every track of the album, which clearly sounded like Jimi, and partly they were also labelled as JIMI on the reel boxes (and they were all on the same track of the multitracks, which only Jimi had dubbed on for the confirmed Jimi overdubs....Bill Nitopi, who made the discovery informed Warner (or whoever) about it , but they seemed to show no interest at all. This whole story has been reported by Nitopi himself.

The HK jam is in the posession of Anders Lind, who once seems to have told Caesar Glebeek : "It is quite enjoyable to have it all to myself" . So, I guess this will not be circulated as long as Anders Lind is alive and in no need of money :-))

I would be interested about the exact story behind the real Taj Mahal tapes, never heard about those backgrounds, etc....anyone have the Rolling Stone article mentioned?

Reportedly, Mitch was in the posession not only of the Black Gold tapes, but also of a recording of an early 69 Experience show (probably form the January Germany tour) which is told have featured 3rd Stone from the Sun (probably as a jam in some other song). It is unknown to me, what show this should be....and I am missing the details of the story right now, maybe someone else has heard those rumours too?

But as Gold and Goldstein have filmed on the road for that tour (in Berlin, Vienna for sure) i would be pretty surprised if they had not also filmed at least parts of the shows in Vienna and Berlin. Then there would also be sdb tapes of those shows. Maybe someone could check the photos and look for double miking. And as the sdb of the RAH Feb.18th 69 show does exist, the film will exist as well. But I guess video is another topic then...
like the infamous video screen at Forum 70, of which we can only hope that someone captured that video feed on some medium....

dino77
10-29-08, 08:10 AM
And more:

- The Youngblood/Hendrix sessions from Record Plant,
March 1969. According to Lonnie they recorded for three days...

- The old Woburn tape (that Glebbeek no longer owns?)

- The Billy Cox army tapes (he apparently recorded some
stuff with Jimi at that time)

Herman Cherusken
10-29-08, 08:57 AM
I have just spoken to the drummer in Hansson & Karlsson and presented some ideas I had about a re-release of their 3 main albums from the 60s and include the jam with Hendrix together as a package. And as fast as I mentioned Hendrix he said "impossible, if we would release anything from the jam the Hendrix people would sue us on 5 million dollars right off the bat." I told him that it's their material, their recording, but he replied "Hendrix means the Hendrix circus, and there's nothing you can do about it."

The guy sounded weaker than I ever have heard him (he's born in 1937), so I didnt want to press on with more questions about the matter nor about Hendrix etc, and left it at that. I might call him back another day...

In any case, as it stands now, the Hansson & Karlsson jam with Jimi wont see the light in years to come...

johanincr
10-29-08, 09:29 AM
Strange then, how parts of it are already on a bootleg from 2005, http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?t=101 , and different parts are on the ATM set 'kick out the jams'

5 million eh? thats a lot of money. those jams must be really awful then, if the 'hendrix people' dont want them released that badly.

i think the 1 thing Jimi hated was the 'Hendrix Circus', but there's nothing we can do about it.

Herman Cherusken
10-29-08, 09:39 AM
That's probably leaked material (or some other source?), and he probably meant that if they would officially release their material, they would be sued up their ass. I guess he base his adament statement from some sort of inquire they have done with the Hendrix camp... But as I said in the chatbox, I will most likely track down the other individuals involved in the matter, or those who might be able to provide some info...

And as it says, its not sure it's the Hansson & Karlsson materials anyways:

- It has not been 100% verified that the Hansson & Karlsson jam portion included in this set is the "real deal", and that these recordings do in fact feature Jimi Hendrix. The complete recording of the Hansson & Karlsson jam from Club Filips, Stockholm 07.09.67 allegedly runs for 4 hr 15 min but remain unreleased / uncirculated.

Olvator
10-29-08, 09:47 AM
well, releasing it officially is not the best option anyway....they were all really strung out on LSD, and I doubt it would sell more than a few thousand copies, if at all, and it would not be a very profitable business to release it. but they could always just send out copies to collectors, and have them circulate it freely among anyone interested. Nobody could sue them for that! And it would still be better than looking at how it gathers dust in some cupboard. They might even have someone make a bootleg of it, and somehow the money from it could be transferred back to them secretly (i know I shouldnīt say this, but in the end, who would you rip off? no-one.... jimiīs dead, EH has enough, and maybe HK would like to see a few hundred bucks each). Well, wonīt ever happen, I guess.

dino77
10-29-08, 10:09 AM
well, releasing it officially is not the best option anyway....they were all really strung out on LSD, and I doubt it would sell more than a few thousand copies, if at all, and it would not be a very profitable business to release it. but they could always just send out copies to collectors, and have them circulate it freely among anyone interested. Nobody could sue them for that! And it would still be better than looking at how it gathers dust in some cupboard. They might even have someone make a bootleg of it, and somehow the money from it could be transferred back to them secretly (i know I shouldnīt say this, but in the end, who would you rip off? no-one.... jimiīs dead, EH has enough, and maybe HK would like to see a few hundred bucks each). Well, wonīt ever happen, I guess.

I don't think it's a question of them playing badly on the tape
because of LSD or anything. Funnily enough, Jan Carlsson recalled Jimi as a quite straight, all-American guy who didn't do much drugs.
It's more that it's not "jimi" music - they play almost all H&K material.
I really doubt that the "samples" are genuine.
And most of the stuff that turns up on the net
eventually appears on bootlegs or eBay, right?
Without any cash going to the engineer/co-performer(s).

Olvator
10-29-08, 10:16 AM
I don't think it's a question of them playing badly on the tape
because of LSD or anything. Funnily enough, Jan Carlsson recalled Jimi as a quite straight, all-American guy who didn't do much drugs.
It's more that it's not "jimi" music - they play almost all H&K material.
I really doubt that the "samples" are genuine.
And most of the stuff that turns up on the net
eventually appears on bootlegs or eBay, right?
Without any cash going to the engineer/co-performer(s).

well, i did not say they played badly, just trying to point out that it was a jam session, and thus not of high interest to people who would buy letīs say "First Rays". Funnily enough, it was Jan Carlsson who reportedly had so much LSD that night that he "was never the same again" for a long time after that fateful 1967 night :-))

johanincr
10-29-08, 12:22 PM
High on my wish list are the 'faye tapes' which were reported about on BBC radio in 1995 but never after.
The report was about the upcoming auction of the tapes, but nobody seems to know what happened after that. (torrent is my hissy cassette of the 2 minute radio report)

Roland Stone
10-29-08, 10:18 PM
I couldn't find the Rolling Stone article about Jimi with Taj online. But here's what I remember. The jam occured in 1969 in a hotel room in L.A. when Jimi was playing the L.A. Forum. Taj was not too pleased with Jimi's volume. Taj had a tape running in the background of cricket sounds to lend some country atmosphere.

I also seem to recall reading that Mitch Mitchell ended up with the tape and may have turned it over to EH.

Here's a photo of Jimi and Taj together: http://www.geocities.com/rgoya/jimipix.htm?200829#display

johanincr
10-31-08, 09:43 AM
There used to be a webpage which had Tony Brown's listings of the contents of the Black Gold tapes and 7 more tapes in a headband Jimi gave to Mitch to hold on to during their stay on Hawaii in july/august 1970.
That site doesnt exist anymore, but i once printed the page and later scanned it --->:)

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq160/johanincr/taj1.jpg
http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq160/johanincr/taj2.jpg

Olvator
10-31-08, 10:00 AM
wow, thanls johan! errmmmm what about the sheets for the other caessettes? got those too? very interesting!
what happened to the stuff after Tony passed away? EH?

johanincr
10-31-08, 10:13 AM
wow, thanls johan! errmmmm what about the sheets for the other caessettes? got those too? very interesting!
what happened to the stuff after Tony passed away? EH?
i dont know, as i'm only a youngster (hahaha), but i think Tony only heard the stuff at Mitch's place, and made some safety copies which maybe anywhere now, i really dont know. i seriously doubt anyone who might know about them will chime in in this thread and offer to torrent them. it would be nice.
the master tapes that mitch had were handed over to EH at some point.

heyyo
10-31-08, 10:29 AM
Theres some nice info about black gold tapes on this old site: http://members.tripod.com/~Wallyrus/blackgold.html (http://members.tripod.com/%7EWallyrus/blackgold.html)

"I would like to send my sincere thanks to Mitch for allowing
me the privilege of hearing the tape's in the first place,
and I'm sure you will all agree that he deserves ALL our
thanks for taking good care of what was other wise a lost
treasure. --Tony Brown"

sharkfin
10-31-08, 05:07 PM
Let's not forget also the videotaping of VC(SR) live in the studio. The ABC footage right? Imagine if this could be found, the best music video ever.

ap0llo
10-31-08, 08:39 PM
Let's not forget also the videotaping of VC(SR) live in the studio. The ABC footage right? Imagine if this could be found, the best music video ever.

I heard somewhere a while ago that that footage was taped over or thrown out, that they didn't see the need to hold onto it so they reused the tape for something else. That was before Jimi died of course.

johanincr
11-08-08, 12:26 PM
i remember rumours about a Kansas 1dec68 tape, a New Orleans 68 tape, and a 2nd Woburn tape, all audience sources.
also i remember reading about the soundcheck from LA69 being taped from the soundboard.
anyone remember where these rumours originated? i dont :-(

RobbieRadio
11-09-08, 04:05 AM
In Reference to being sued for 5 million dollars.

All the record companies do the same thing. EVEN IF YOU OWN THE RIGHTS to the material, they will sue you. The record companies have unlimited financial resources and they will tie you up in court for the purpose of bankrupting you. Once you're broke and you can't continue the fight, you then have to drop your countersuit and they win.

The reason for this is that they don't want anybody else making money from that artist. They want to limit the market to only THEIR Hendrix product. They view independent releases as competition against THEIR product.

I read a story 15 years ago about a guy who bought a bunch of Columbia Records master tapes at an auction, for unpaid storage locker fees
The record company forgot to make payments on the storage locker, the the contents were auctioned off for back fees.

The tapes were all outtakes and working session stuff, by Dylan, Johnny Cash, Simon & Garfunkel and other artists from the 60's And 70's.

The guy thought he was gonna make a ton of money releasing all this stuff. NOT!

To date none of that stuff has been released because the minute he does, Columbia (Now Sony) Records will tie him up in court for years and bankrupt him.

I heard the same story about a guy who was friends with Elvis and had some sessions tapes that Elvis gave to him. He said he'd be sued the minute he released any of it.

So now you know why a lot of good stuff never sees the light of day.

MourningStar
11-09-08, 03:05 PM
Here is what I wish :

That we did not have a need for this "Unreleased Wish List" topic!

:minipersonen065:

treetops
11-11-08, 10:17 PM
i remember rumours about a Kansas 1dec68 tape, a New Orleans 68 tape, and a 2nd Woburn tape, all audience sources.
also i remember reading about the soundcheck from LA69 being taped from the soundboard.
anyone remember where these rumours originated? i dont :-(
Texas...hehehe

norocker
11-11-08, 10:32 PM
I lived in New Orleans until Hurricane Katrina and did some leg work looking for anything from the 1968 City Park show. All I was ever able to turn up was a copy of the ad for the show from the local paper that was in the City Park archives and some negatives a local photographer took at the show. I did purchase a print of one of the pics at the time I found him. He gave us some scans of the negatives, but they're hard to see much. The copy of the ad was swallowed by the storm along with my entire Hendrix collection, so there you go. Hope some sounds do turn up one of these days....

Herman Cherusken
11-11-08, 10:35 PM
In Reference to being sued for 5 million dollars.

All the record companies do the same thing. EVEN IF YOU OWN THE RIGHTS to the material, they will sue you. The record companies have unlimited financial resources and they will tie you up in court for the purpose of bankrupting you. Once you're broke and you can't continue the fight, you then have to drop your countersuit and they win.

The reason for this is that they don't want anybody else making money from that artist. They want to limit the market to only THEIR Hendrix product. They view independent releases as competition against THEIR product.

I read a story 15 years ago about a guy who bought a bunch of Columbia Records master tapes at an auction, for unpaid storage locker fees
The record company forgot to make payments on the storage locker, the the contents were auctioned off for back fees.

The tapes were all outtakes and working session stuff, by Dylan, Johnny Cash, Simon & Garfunkel and other artists from the 60's And 70's.

The guy thought he was gonna make a ton of money releasing all this stuff. NOT!

To date none of that stuff has been released because the minute he does, Columbia (Now Sony) Records will tie him up in court for years and bankrupt him.

I heard the same story about a guy who was friends with Elvis and had some sessions tapes that Elvis gave to him. He said he'd be sued the minute he released any of it.

So now you know why a lot of good stuff never sees the light of day.

Greedy assholes, it's all about the money, instead of making sure the cultural/artistic value to be the focal point....

And it sounds as a corrupt judicial system if you can tie up people/issues instead of having it come to a definate closure, and where the case cant be re-opened unless something considered to be of legal weight is brought up...