PDA

View Full Version : Nov 27 '08 @ The Pharaoh's Den (Riverside, CA)

douchebagsden
10-30-08, 06:13 PM
http://thepharaohsden.blogspot.com/2008/10/thanksgiving-hendrix-celebration-jimi.html

douchebagsden
10-31-08, 01:13 PM
i have a favor to ask of everyone, can you guys help me promote and get the word out for this :)

Otis

Herman Cherusken
10-31-08, 01:37 PM
I dont get it why you cut RAH's Lover Man short not including the end, which is about the coolest part of the entire song?

And yeah I know, every thing Jimi plays is cool, but that first Stockholm show was an uninspired bland performance, where the guys went through some major metamorphosis in the break in between and came out and blasted away a kick ass performance on the second show...

Dont mean to cut you down or be negative, but if you wanna put up a Hendrix celebration, pick better renditions and include the whole songs and not some mutilated such...

heyyo
10-31-08, 03:05 PM
I dont get it why you cut RAH's Lover Man short not including the end, which is about the coolest part of the entire song?

And yeah I know, every thing Jimi plays is cool, but that first Stockholm show was an uninspired bland performance, where the guys went through some major metamorphosis in the break in between and came out and blasted away a kick ass performance on the second show...

Dont mean to cut you down or be negative, but if you wanna put up a Hendrix celebration, pick better renditions and include the whole songs and not some mutilated such...
I dont think Otis uploaded those youtube vids :)

Herman Cherusken
10-31-08, 03:27 PM
That might be the case, and again I dont wanna be the party pooper, but there are other RAH materials to pick from on youtube that imo would be more suitable for a celebration of the kind thepharaosden has in mind.

Great initiative on his part, but the quality selection could be different. Just my opinion...

douchebagsden
11-01-08, 01:54 PM
the reality holds that this is a period in hendrix's career in which he was making major shifts in his ideology towards public appearances. No longer was he doing a ton of stage gimmicks, he was more focusing on his actual sound and these 2 dvd's showcase that perfectly. This is the period in which shifted him towards more conciousness, more endeavors towards the transformation of all beings who were listening. No more song requests, more focus on the sounds and rhythms coming out of the guitar, not just a visual spectatcle. I hear a lot of people talk shit on stockholm, but I think it's a beautiful concert. Not every moment has to be mind blowing, and anyone who compares one performance to another trully doesn't understand the purpose and statements hendrix was making after the tv show lip sync stage of his career. Outside of the pop material he was still doing, nothing is ever the same from show to show. People knock these performances down because of this idelogical god like state they have put hendrix into. You have to take the bad with the good and everyone I have ever shown these dvd's too who isn't into hendrix that much has fell in love, everyone who knows all this great knowledge on hendrix shits all over it, why is this? Stockholm is one of the cleanest documents of a hendrix performance in it's entirety, especially the audio quality on the version chas remastered himself. rah is a phenomenal concert with hendrix doing some interesting things, especially the end bits. the variance in moods, styles and textures is astonishing. These are perfect starts for non die hard hendrix fans and that's what will mainly be in the house that night, especially with rah having other footage from the europe tour included. and hound dog! there is bad moments, but that's the reality of all musicians during that period who were playing for rock orientated crowds.

herman cherusken, you are sadly a part of the major reason eh dosn't take "hendrix freaks" seriously and put out the things that more die hard fans would be excited about. There's a lot more people getting into hendrix right now then there is people who are "hendrix freaks" so please put this into perspective when talking about quality selection.

In other words, most people who are sane about artists and they don't practice worshiping human beings tend to put aerial and aesthetic perspectives into place. This is a cultural space center, designed to preserve the historical significance of art and it's many colors, let's realize why these dvd's have importance in that light. Study the beginning of 1969 and ALL musicians during that time, than you'll see why these were choosen. Study the people he started to link up during this time and it all correlates towards a shift in the music world that has the most profound effect on contemporary culture.

MourningStar
11-01-08, 02:34 PM
^ Good points man -

I also find that some of the die-hard Hendrix fans have 'lost' their Jimi-virginity eyes & ears over the many years. I find it sad when these 'experts' rag on a Jimi performance, because they are providing a 'negative' influence on the Jimi new-borns that are coming into learning about this multi-faceted being. While I admire the knowlege many of these 'Jimi-experts' have, I find some lacking the 'real insight' into the why-how-when-who-what, etc. Jimi was really all about. To these I violently advise that everytime you put some Jimi on, position your head as though it is the first time you are hearing Jimi. Remember, some of us came into Jimi at different stages of his career while the majority of us came along after his departure. When one talks 'Jimi', it's good to keep this in mind.

peace,

Herman Cherusken
11-01-08, 04:15 PM
We are all entitled to an opinion, and I voiced mine. thepharaosden put in a request to support his Hendrix celebration, but we can’t criticize the content and the selection of the songs? And it can only be praised, or otherwise its considered as sinking negativity into it?

thepharaosden, you go at great length lecturing on Hendrix’s transition from the image of the “Wild Man From Borneo” stage act, which he so desperately wanted to rid himself from. I am very well aware of this, but what does that have to do with my objection of you linking to a RAH version of Lover Man with a cut off ending? You can naturally set up a Hendrix celebration in any shape or form you desire, and even pick songs with the middle sections or the beginnings removed, I merely asked about your line of thinking.

And as far the first Stockholm show goes, you like it, fine, then go for it. I don’t say it has no merit at all, but if I would put up a Hendrix celebration I would pick something that showed when the Jimi Hendrix Experience worked together as a tight unit (although in the new free form of jamming) and not as one where they are not being on the same page musically - and that despite whatever message they want to have come across to the public.

I am by far a Hendrix expert, and again, im just voicing my opinion, just as thepharaosden and MourningStar are entitled to theirs. Referring to me as an "expert" or a "die hard Hendrix fan out of touch bla bla" is a cheap tactic in trying to to deny myself the same right or deny my arguments or objections any validity...

MourningStar
11-01-08, 04:58 PM
^
Herman - quite correct all are entitled. Based on past communications I certainly do not consider you as one of these 'experts' (nor am I myself and, in my case, do not endeavor to be) and apologize if MY commentary led you to conclude as much.

We are all entitled to an opinion, and I voiced mine. thepharaosden put in a request to support his Hendrix celebration, but we can’t criticize the content and the selection of the songs? And it can only be praised, or otherwise its considered as sinking negativity into it?Well, from where I sit, the request was for 'support', not critique - that's a different topic altogether. And I'm sure we can all voice our 'entitled' opinions on just about everything Hendrix, good and bad.