PDA

View Full Version : Dr. John and Jimi Hendrix

dino77
10-31-08, 11:41 AM
A funny tidbit from The Daily telegraph:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2008/05/29/bmjohn129.xml

Never heard of Jimi and Dr. John (aka Mac Rebennack aka The Night Tripper) playing together before. That must have been amazing!
Wonder when and where the gigs/jams too place?

"The bonus attraction of Clapton's inimitably fluid guitar-playing means, inevitably, that more people will get to hear Rebennack's wake-up call.
The two first met in 1969 in Los Angeles, where Rebennack was living at the time, and where Clapton had just landed, after quitting his supergroup, Blind Faith. A few months later, Rebennack set up some sessions in London for a putative triple concept album, to be called The Sun, Moon & Herbs. Clapton was the first to arrive, followed by Mick Jagger and 30-odd percussionists of varying Afro-Caribbean origin. The whole cast reputedly spent many days jamming in a haze of marijuana and opium smoke. The release was ultimately trimmed down to a single album.
"We've had all kinds of weird hook-ups at different times," says Rebennack, when I meet him in New York. "About the third time I met Eric, he was upset because I said that song [hums the riff to Cream's Sunshine of Your Love] was by Jimi Hendrix. The fact is, I wasn't the most connected-to-the-planet guy at that time, and me and Hendrix had been doing gigs together. I didn't mean to upset him."

Roland Stone
11-08-08, 07:28 PM
Dr. John's autobiography talks about how they crossed paths in L.A. in the pre-Experience days when Jimi was still a sideman.

dino77
11-12-08, 06:18 AM
Dr. John's autobiography talks about how they crossed paths in L.A. in the pre-Experience days when Jimi was still a sideman.

Cool, I have to get that book.
It's amazing how many major musicians Jimi met/or played with.