Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1970-08-01 Honolulu

Thanks

Re: 1970-08-01 Honolulu

Again, thank you so much for this

Thanks

Thanks for this!!
    Yes the arena was called the Honolulu International Center when this concert happened. I know because I was in the audience. Still stands out as one of the best concerts I ever saw, and there have been a couple of hundred since, at a guess. The only time I got to see Jimi live. That was a great summer. Jimi, Janis and Led Zeppelin all played HIC that summer and I managed to see them all. Too damn bad that we're not talking about the great things that Jimi's doing now and when his next show will be. Sigh.
    I remember that Jimi, Mitch and Billy came on stage in the dark. Sounds of plugging in and tuning up. Then the promise that they were going to play loud, louder loudest and we were going to get high higher highest. Lights, volume Straight Ahead. Promise fulfilled. Sometime during the bluesy interlude in the middle of Hey Baby the empty seat next to me was taken by a guy going Damn how much have I missed? Looked at my watch. Only 10-15 minutes in and seemed like hours already. Magic.
    For the encore Jimi comes out and thanks the crowd. voice breaking with what seemed like genuine emotion. He was enjoying it and so were we. Plays 3 more songs and he's gone. Now it doesn't seem like it lasted any where near long enough. A few short weeks later and he's really gone. Aloha, Jimi and Mahalo.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,908 Times in 756 Posts

^
    Awesome, thnx for sharing that Gearyr. If you care to elaborate more fully on this 'experience' please do so in The 'Official' "I saw Jimi Hendrix in concert" topic over in the 'Everything Else' forum. A 'living witness' is always a great addition to the community. Either way, thnx again.

peace,
    "Watch Out For Your Ears!"

"We don't want to be classed in any category" - HENDRIX

“If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MourningStar View Post
    ^
    Awesome, thnx for sharing that Gearyr. If you care to elaborate more fully on this 'experience' please do so in The 'Official' "I saw Jimi Hendrix in concert" topic over in the 'Everything Else' forum. A 'living witness' is always a great addition to the community. Either way, thnx again.

peace,
    ^
    Yes Gearyr. Please post any more memoirs where MS noted above. It brought a deep sigh just reading your memories above here. Very touching. Thanx
    Peace - Steev
    Just below the surface of our everyday world lie riches . . .

Thanks

wow incredible gearyr. wish i was there ... sheesss!!!!!!!speechless.......

thanks johan for yet another incredible gem!!!!!!!!!!

btw WMA stands for
    Wicked Medieval Audio

cant wait to hear this!!!
    ----------------------------------------
    EDIT:
    listening to HB now..

there better be a tape in better/completer quality on this earth somehwere.. or the whole process of evolution has been for nothing!!
    holy schmoly... this must have been some concert and all along the watchtower hasnt been recorded? no filmcrew no SBD nothing just...ssshwwoooos gone. it cant be!

is there more known about this tape?
    Last edited by Vibratory; 01-03-09 at 09:31 PM.

Thanks

On the Jimi Hendrix concert streaming website, it gives the names of the tapers:

"Although this recording is incomplete, tapers Jim and Bill Worthley managed to preserve "Straight Ahead," "Ezy Ryder," "Hey Baby (New Rising Sun)," "Spanish Castle Magic," and the majority of "Red House" before the tape runs out."

(from jimihendrix.com)

Thanks

Thanks for sharing! 1970 is my favorite year for Jimi's music.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will finally know peace.
    - Jimi Hendrix

Thanks

Thanks for sharing, but unfortunately I can't download this, because "torrent file is invalid" (uTorrent)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,093 Times in 356 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JediLuke View Post
    Thanks for sharing, but unfortunately I can't download this, because "torrent file is invalid" (uTorrent)
    strange, it worked for the 131 downloaders that came before you, and its still seeded too. do you have a full harddisk(partition) maybe?

Thanks

No, but this thing happens sometimes, and I believe that I can fix it

Thanks

It's working now!:-)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gearyr View Post
    Thanks for this!!
    Yes the arena was called the Honolulu International Center when this concert happened. I know because I was in the audience. Still stands out as one of the best concerts I ever saw, and there have been a couple of hundred since, at a guess. The only time I got to see Jimi live. That was a great summer. Jimi, Janis and Led Zeppelin all played HIC that summer and I managed to see them all. Too damn bad that we're not talking about the great things that Jimi's doing now and when his next show will be. Sigh.
    I remember that Jimi, Mitch and Billy came on stage in the dark. Sounds of plugging in and tuning up. Then the promise that they were going to play loud, louder loudest and we were going to get high higher highest. Lights, volume Straight Ahead. Promise fulfilled. Sometime during the bluesy interlude in the middle of Hey Baby the empty seat next to me was taken by a guy going Damn how much have I missed? Looked at my watch. Only 10-15 minutes in and seemed like hours already. Magic.
    For the encore Jimi comes out and thanks the crowd. voice breaking with what seemed like genuine emotion. He was enjoying it and so were we. Plays 3 more songs and he's gone. Now it doesn't seem like it lasted any where near long enough. A few short weeks later and he's really gone. Aloha, Jimi and Mahalo.
    Nice reading Lucky You !!!!

Thanks

Thanks Johan, I totally missed this one. glad its still up

Thanks
    Thanked 4,093 Times in 356 Posts

you're welcome Starchild, its too bad the video apparently mainly is from songs not recorded on the audio tape.

Thanks

hello everybody!

and

Thanks

I was there too! We sat in the loges off to stage right so we were on Jimi's side. Do you remember when he broke a string(s) on his Strat and how pissed he was? We could see it in his face as he threw the guitar to the roadie. And I mean he LAUNCHED that thing!

I still have the handbill to that show. Pretty beat up but framed and one of my prized possessions from my youth.

Also saw Led Zep that year but not Janis (...hey, I was in high school, couldn't afford every concert). Man, Jimmy Page was so freakin' skinny I thought his Les Paul was gonna drag him down!! Gosh, those memory cells are still floating around after 39 years!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gearyr View Post
    Thanks for this!!

Thanks

I was at the show. The only opening "act" was some guy that played sitar (I think) and sang Hari Krishna song for about 45 min. It would be nice to find this guy -- what a claim to fame!

Thanks

Thank you very much.
    My kingdom for another version of "Ezy Ryder".
    phil

Thanks

Loved seeing this show in person from the 16th row. I do recall seeing someone with a recorder as I was leaving the hall. Nice to hear it again.

Thanks

thank u