Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 121

Thread: Michael Jeffery: good or bad?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    500
    Thanks
    164
    Thanked 155 Times in 66 Posts

    Michael Jeffery: good or bad?

    We've all heard various stories about Jimi's mgr Michael Jeffery. Some good, some bad, depending on if you worked for him or not(such as the women in his office for ex.).

    My overall impression is that he was too greedy and worked Hendrix to death(pun intended). Obviously Hendrix had a somewhat difficult and traumatic life esp. in his younger years. Maye Jeffery did not know Jimi's personal history, few did but imo, he should have been more nurturing towards Jimi: giving him extended periods of rest and relaxation, necessary for any creative artist esp. of Jimi's caliber.

    Eric Burdon was quoted as saying about Jimi's demise, "The business killed him and I just can't put it any better."

    I agree and point more diectly to Michael Jeffery.

    Your thoughts on Jeffery?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Somewhere in California
    Posts
    6,781
    Thanks
    1,028
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 763 Posts

    Re: Michael Jeffery: good or bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by susep73 View Post
    We've all heard various stories about Jimi's mgr Michael Jeffery. Some good, ...
    ?????
    "Watch Out For Your Ears!"

    "We don't want to be classed in any category" - HENDRIX

    “If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    500
    Thanks
    164
    Thanked 155 Times in 66 Posts

    Re: Michael Jeffery: good or bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by MourningStar View Post
    ?????
    that came from his office mate Trixie Sullivan who was quoted as saying Jeffery was "something special" and "incredibly talented".

    I disagree.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,258
    Thanks
    781
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 529 Posts

    Re: Michael Jeffery: good or bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by susep73 View Post
    that came from his office mate Trixie Sullivan who was quoted as saying Jeffery was "something special" and "incredibly talented".

    I disagree.

    Why do you disagree? Being "incredibly talented" doesn't make somebody a nice person. Jeffery obviously had a knack for business and made shitloads of money for Hendrix (though he pilfered away some), which is why Hendrix stuck with him if you believe those who were around.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    500
    Thanks
    164
    Thanked 155 Times in 66 Posts

    Re: Michael Jeffery: good or bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by dino77 View Post
    Why do you disagree? Being "incredibly talented" doesn't make somebody a nice person. Jeffery obviously had a knack for business and made shitloads of money for Hendrix (though he pilfered away some), which is why Hendrix stuck with him if you believe those who were around.
    Hendrix stuck w/ Jeffery because he didn't know a better way out. Jeffery pilfered away more then just "some" of Jimi's earnings, he took more than what was considered normal for mgt. at that time.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Small country of proud people.
    Posts
    768
    Thanks
    276
    Thanked 727 Times in 95 Posts

    Re: Michael Jeffery: good or bad?

    Jimi was incredibly talented musician but also incredibly difficult to manage. Without Michael Jeffrey and Chas Chandler he would probably still be around Greenwich or playing as a sideman behind other stars.
    Jefrey was first class manager. He started self-promoting Jimi which enabled him to make more money from his concert tours than any musician in popular music before as well as made him a great star when nobody actually played his songs on the radio or TV. He also got 120 000 Dollars advance from Reprise for a UK band nobody ever heard for in America. He also did Jimi's "dirty" work like firing Buddy after MSG debacle). I can go on and on...
    He was Jimi's business manager. Nothing more. He couldn't force Jimi to play his hits at concerts. He couldn't force him to learn or include more tracks from his latest albums (all Jimi played live during the three years of Experience was basically Are You Experienced material). He couldn't and didn't want to tell Jimi what to do with his private life or what kind of music he should play. He was his bussiness manager and did the job well.
    What Jimi needed was a friend. Number of quality people tried to help him as well as be his friends but Jimi was difficult to approach.
    Chas, Kathy, Paul Caruso, Buddy Miles even Noel Redding and many others
    including Eric Clapton and Pete Townshend tried to be his friends and advise him but couldn't get through to him. The only member who tried to find out where the money goes and how much they actually earn was Noel. I never heard a story about Jimi trying to do the same thing or simply support Noel in his efforts. All he expected from his management is to get cash when he needed it and 24/7 studio time. He also made huge unnecessary bills while at the same time didn't have any idea how much money he actually have even less how much he spends.
    Yes, Jimi was unique, amazing, beautiful, fantastic songwriter and guitar player. Probably the best that ever lived but at the same time he was a bad businessman and lousy friend (remember just how many times in '69 Billy Cox quit the band?)... And that's the reason why he died desperate and alone. with the lunatic-woman at his side in a dark basement room of the Samarkand Hotel ...

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Makkinen For This Useful Post:


  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Thumbs down Re: Michael Jeffery: good or bad?

    He was not fair with JIMI when it was time to get paid !!

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    301
    Thanks
    106
    Thanked 156 Times in 61 Posts

    Re: Michael Jeffery: good or bad?

    Makkinen: Yes, Yes, and Yes. BUT that's all on the plus side.

    On the negative side, he pushed and pushed to tour. Count the number of dates played on those tours; he worked Jimi to exhaustion.

    Did he have him kidnapped? Did he do all he could to undermine and kill the BOG? There's plenty on the negative side. Ruthless business tactics. Mob connections. (Vanilla Fudge WILL be part of the tour.)

    It all boils down to how much he destructed Jimi and how much Jimi self destructed. Who was more responsible? I think Jimi self-destructed. Up like a meteor, and down all too quickly. His flame burned too brightly for him to handle.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Somewhere in California
    Posts
    6,781
    Thanks
    1,028
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 763 Posts

    Re: Michael Jeffery: good or bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Makkinen View Post
    Without Michael Jeffrey and Chas Chandler he would probably still be around Greenwich or playing as a sideman behind other stars.
    Not true. Do your homework. First - a gift like Hendrix's could never have been contained. However, even modest research will reveal that the legendary Les Paul had his sights on Jimi. Now that would have been a venture that leaves much to the imagination (and may have left us with Jimi still being around today).


    peace out,
    "Watch Out For Your Ears!"

    "We don't want to be classed in any category" - HENDRIX

    “If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    10,515
    Thanks
    3,498
    Thanked 4,923 Times in 2,091 Posts

    Re: Michael Jeffery: good or bad?

    Overworked?:

    1966
    Oct – 5 (Johnny Halliday mini tour + Scotch of St James)
    Nov – 6 (4 x 2 shows at the Big Apple in Germany + 1 at Bag O’Nails press reception,
    London + 1 supporting the Animals
    Dec – 6 (Southhampton is 2 shows)
    Total: 18 dates (23 shows) + 2 TV appearance (1 song each) in the 67 days since he arrived in UK



    1967
    Jan – 20 (2 x 2 shows) Nearly all in his "home" town of London area
    Feb – 23 (2 shows at Southend) Most in London area
    Mar – 16 (4 x 2 shows) (several European dates)
    Apr – 24 (Supporting ‘the Walker Bros’ [1st Jimi Hendrix Experience UK tour]- all 2
    shows, probably 20 minutes a show max)
    May – 18 (6 x 2 shows) (mostly European dates)
    Monterey etc:
    Jun – 9 (7 x 2 shows) 12 shows were at the Fillmore
    The Monkees etc:
    Jul - 16 (3 x 2 shows)
    Aug – 15 (6 x 2 shows) 10 shows were at the Ambassador
    Back in London
    Scandinavia:
    Sep – 12 (5 x 2 shows)
    Back in London
    Oct – 7 (Saville was 2 shows)
    1st & only headling UK tour
    Nov – 14 (10 x 2 shows)
    Dec - 6 (5 x 2 shows)
    Total: 180 dates (254 shows - many were quite short) + 28 TV shows & 6 sessions for BBC radio (many of the TV were mimed, and the TV & radio was mostly 1-3 songs only) in 365 days



    1968
    Europe
    Jan – 5 (4 of these were 2 shows)
    1st North American tour by the ‘Jimi Hendrix Experience’:
    Feb – 25 (12 of these were 2 shows. 8 shows altogether in in San Fransisco, 4 in
    Philadelphia & 4 in Milwaukee)
    Mar – 19 (6 of these were 2 shows)
    Apr – 5 (Virginia Beach was 2 shows)
    Europe
    May – 8 (5 of these were 2 shows)
    Jun – 0
    2nd North American tour by the ‘Jimi Hendrix Experience’:
    Jul – 4 (Baton Rouge was 2 shows)
    Aug – 16 (5 of these were 2 shows)
    Sep – 11 ( none of these were 2 shows)
    Oct – 5 (3 x 2 show gigs at Winterland)
    Nov – 11 (none of these were 2 shows)
    Dec - 1
    Total: 105 dates (136 shows) (several in his “home" city of New York or the surrounding area & several were in the same city) + 1 TV show, in 365 days


    1969
    Europe
    Jan – 14 (10 of these were two shows)
    Feb – 2
    Mar – 0
    3rd North American tour by the ‘Jimi Hendrix Experience’:
    Apr – 7 (Memphis was two shows)
    May – 15
    Jun – 3
    Noel leaves
    July – 2 (Dick Cavett & Tonight TV shows)
    Gypsy Sun & Rainbows (A Band of Gypsys)
    Aug – 1
    Sep – 2 (Salvation & Dick Cavett TV
    End of GS&R (BOGs)
    Oct – 0
    Band of Gypsys
    Nov – 0
    Dec – 1 (Fillmore - 2 shows) this doesn't really belong here as it's basically a live
    recording session for Chalpin's BOGs LP
    Total: 44 dates (3 at least in his “home” city of New York. Includes TV) (56 shows) in 365 days - if you include the BOGs Fillmore




    1970
    Band of Gypsys
    Jan – 2 (Fillmore was 2 shows) MSG cancelled after 2 songs (Fillmore doesn't really
    belong here as it's basically a live recording session for Chalpin's BOGs LP)
    End of BOG’s
    Feb – 0
    Mar – 0
    4th North American tour by the ‘Jimi Hendrix Experience’:
    Apr – 2
    May – 8 (2 of these were two shows)
    June – 11 (2 shows in Albuquerque)
    Jul – 2 (both 2 shows)
    Europe (7 concerts in nine days, one is cancelled after 2 songs)
    Aug – 3 (includes Honolulu)
    Sep – 5
    Total: 24 dates (30 shows) in 261 days


    Last edited by stplsd; 02-05-09 at 06:35 AM.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:


  13. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    146
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: Michael Jeffery: good or bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Makkinen View Post
    Jimi was incredibly talented musician but also incredibly difficult to manage. Without Michael Jeffrey and Chas Chandler he would probably still be around Greenwich or playing as a sideman behind other stars.
    Jefrey was first class manager. He started self-promoting Jimi which enabled him to make more money from his concert tours than any musician in popular music before as well as made him a great star when nobody actually played his songs on the radio or TV. He also got 120 000 Dollars advance from Reprise for a UK band nobody ever heard for in America. He also did Jimi's "dirty" work like firing Buddy after MSG debacle). I can go on and on...
    He was Jimi's business manager. Nothing more. He couldn't force Jimi to play his hits at concerts. He couldn't force him to learn or include more tracks from his latest albums (all Jimi played live during the three years of Experience was basically Are You Experienced material). He couldn't and didn't want to tell Jimi what to do with his private life or what kind of music he should play. He was his bussiness manager and did the job well.
    What Jimi needed was a friend. Number of quality people tried to help him as well as be his friends but Jimi was difficult to approach.
    Chas, Kathy, Paul Caruso, Buddy Miles even Noel Redding and many others
    including Eric Clapton and Pete Townshend tried to be his friends and advise him but couldn't get through to him. The only member who tried to find out where the money goes and how much they actually earn was Noel. I never heard a story about Jimi trying to do the same thing or simply support Noel in his efforts. All he expected from his management is to get cash when he needed it and 24/7 studio time. He also made huge unnecessary bills while at the same time didn't have any idea how much money he actually have even less how much he spends.
    Yes, Jimi was unique, amazing, beautiful, fantastic songwriter and guitar player. Probably the best that ever lived but at the same time he was a bad businessman and lousy friend (remember just how many times in '69 Billy Cox quit the band?)... And that's the reason why he died desperate and alone. with the lunatic-woman at his side in a dark basement room of the Samarkand Hotel ...

    Thanks for the great post.

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    143
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts

    Re: Michael Jeffery: good or bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    Overworked?:

    This post is soooooooooooo misleading it's not even funny. It doesn't factor in the travel time, say...from Miami to Toronto, or something like that, with no time for rest.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to The Earth Blues For This Useful Post:


  16. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Somewhere in California
    Posts
    6,781
    Thanks
    1,028
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 763 Posts

    Re: Michael Jeffery: good or bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Milan View Post
    Thanks for the great post.
    "Watch Out For Your Ears!"

    "We don't want to be classed in any category" - HENDRIX

    “If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

  17. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,258
    Thanks
    781
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 529 Posts

    Re: Michael Jeffery: good or bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Earth Blues View Post
    This post is soooooooooooo misleading it's not even funny. It doesn't factor in the travel time, say...from Miami to Toronto, or something like that, with no time for rest.

    And time in the studio - 2 masterpieces each in 1967-68 (well Ladyland is a double album).

  18. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Somewhere in California
    Posts
    6,781
    Thanks
    1,028
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 763 Posts

    Re: Michael Jeffery: good or bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Earth Blues View Post
    This post is soooooooooooo misleading it's not even funny. It doesn't factor in the travel time, say...from Miami to Toronto, or something like that, with no time for rest.
    Especially as 'optimized' as the traveling routes/venue scheduling was. Let's overlook that. I'll bet if someone took a map and did a point-to-point drawing of these tours it would look like a two-year old's scribble with crayons! Oh! And let's also forget about the two-show per nighters. Yeah, that M.J. was an awesome manager, gotta luv him.
    "Watch Out For Your Ears!"

    "We don't want to be classed in any category" - HENDRIX

    “If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

  19. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    10,515
    Thanks
    3,498
    Thanked 4,923 Times in 2,091 Posts

    Re: Michael Jeffery: good or bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Earth Blues View Post
    This post is soooooooooooo misleading it's not even funny. It doesn't factor in the travel time, say...from Miami to Toronto, or something like that, with no time for rest.
    It's not supposed to be funny, it's not misleading it's just a complete list of Mike Jefferey's booked gigs (his "work"), it's supposed to make you think, check it out for yourself. The albums were not Jefferey's concern, only the contracts, after Chas, time spent in the studio was strictly up to Jimi.

    The 68 tour started with the West, four days in SF then on to Arizona but then a crazy 736 mile trip back up to Sacramento and then back down 383 miles to LA area for 4 gigs, with another crazy trip thrown in - 922 mile from Santa Barbara up to Seattle & then 957 miles back down again to LA, Jimi's first trip home in nearly six years. But the rest of it is fairly straight forward: across to Denver and then down to Texas for 4 gigs and then back home to NY for 2 days before heading for the Great Lakes: Philly (2 nights)-Detroit- Chicago-Toronto-Madison-Milwaukee (2 nights) then back to NY for 2 days (inc. Hunter College gig) then a gig in Columbus and then back to NY for 4 days (no concerts, Noel & Mitch take a short break in the Bahamas) etc etc...

    2 shows a night was common at this time, not some evil scheme by Jefferey. Jimi alone new what he was earning, publicly claiming to have no cash is a smart move, he'd be pretty stupid to brag about making a load of money - Mr taxman and everyone else would be looking for hand-outs. There are several witnesses to large amounts of cash being handed over at concerts and transported about the place. Various letters show that he was interested in his business affairs
    Last edited by stplsd; 02-04-09 at 08:21 PM.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:


  21. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Somewhere in California
    Posts
    6,781
    Thanks
    1,028
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 763 Posts

    Re: Michael Jeffery: good or bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    It's not supposed to be funny, ... blah blah woof woof ...
    Jeffery & Janie ... the dream team.

    Jimi would be proud ...



    carry on,
    "Watch Out For Your Ears!"

    "We don't want to be classed in any category" - HENDRIX

    “If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

  22. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    159
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 42 Times in 10 Posts

    Question Re: Michael Jeffery: good or bad?

    I never personally believed that les paul story..
    It always sounded a little too "Disney" for me...
    "Amazing black guy on guitar in New Jersey"...Hmmm..???
    If he was so amazing..why did it take him becoming a MEGA STAR before
    les paul came out with his claims that he was looking for him...
    WHat about asking the club owner for the bands contact info..?

    Quote Originally Posted by MourningStar View Post
    Not true. Do your homework. First - a gift like Hendrix's could never have been contained. However, even modest research will reveal that the legendary Les Paul had his sights on Jimi. Now that would have been a venture that leaves much to the imagination (and may have left us with Jimi still being around today).


    peace out,
    Jimi is simply the Greatest of all time !

  23. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    10,515
    Thanks
    3,498
    Thanked 4,923 Times in 2,091 Posts

    Re: Michael Jeffery: good or bad?

    I'm not denying Jeffery did bad things, eg taking an questionably large fee for his services, the Rainbow Bridge fiasco etc. but was working Jimi to death one of them?

    Don't forget Jimi's income from US royalties etc. had been frozen pending the outcome of Chalpin's punative court case and the delivery of his BOGs Lp and the concerts were the only way for him to get new money in the US at this time

    Janie has no connection to Jeffery and is not part of the discussion, that would require a new thread

    The two shows a night are all listed.

    Things are not always as simple, B&W as they appear on the surface.
    Last edited by stplsd; 02-05-09 at 07:30 AM.

  24. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    159
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 42 Times in 10 Posts

    Re: Michael Jeffery: good or bad?

    Agreed !!!!!!!

    Oh how I would have loved to see Jimi and Chas "Together" find a more suitable manager...
    But, there again...Things aren't always that simple..
    Chas was as ready to dump Jimi as Jimi was to dump Mike.

    Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    I'm not denying Jeffery did bad things, eg taking an questionably large fee for his services, the Rainbow Bridge fiasco etc. but was working Jimi to death one of them?

    Don't forget Jimi's income from US royalties etc. had been frozen pending the outcome of Chalpin's punative court case and the delivery of his BOGs Lp and the concerts were the only way for him to get new money in the US at this time

    Janie has no connection to Jeffery and is not part of the discussion, that would require a new thread

    The two shows a night are all listed.

    Things are not always as simple, B&W as they appear on the surface
    Jimi is simply the Greatest of all time !

Similar Threads

  1. Mike Jeffery estate
    By kees1954 in forum Text Torrents
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-06-17, 09:21 AM
  2. Mike Jeffery, mystery man. Who was he?
    By stplsd in forum Third Stone From The Sun
    Replies: 265
    Last Post: 05-03-15, 06:25 PM
  3. JHE, Mothers, Animals at Carnegie Hall letter from Michael Jeffery
    By billo528 in forum Third Stone From The Sun
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-10-11, 02:45 PM
  4. Does anyone here know Michael Fairchild?
    By funkydrummer in forum Third Stone From The Sun
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-13-10, 02:13 PM
  5. Michael Lang On Booking Jimi For Woodstock - 2009
    By RobbieRadio in forum Jimi Hendrix And Other Interviews
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-28-10, 11:09 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBitty (VBTT) 4 for XBT v1.1 CUSTOM by Toolmanwill