Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Michael Jeffery: good or bad?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,605 Posts

Re: Michael Jeffery: good or bad?

Most of the anti Jeffery patter came posthumously from embittered former emloyees and usually mainly relates to their own situation: Noel Redding & Buddy Miles chiefly, then Juma, and then Chas (anxious to shift any possible blame from himself?) who although charming did like to portray things in a colourful manner.

There was an article written at the time by two Swedish women who thought his work schedule was harming him, their reasons for this I'll have to look it up and see. And Jimi wrote to Reprise that it took a long time to make Ladyland as he was touring hard at the same time (not strictly true)nI can't think of any other contemporary adverse comments about his touring schedule, but that would be most interesting

How do we know Jimi really wanted to get rid of Jeffery as his manager, he was after all 50/50 partner with him in his dream studio, and had deep but unknown financial involvement with him and shared a legal team? Who's word do we have and how reliable is it? What do Billy & Mitch, Eddie, Trixie, Gerry & Eric Barrett, Devon, Collette & Stella, James "Vishwa" Scott, his various business associates and others that were actually close to him in late 1970 have to say about Jeffery?
    Last edited by stplsd; 02-05-09 at 04:50 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 753 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    Most of the anti Jeffery patter ...
    ... and the pro-Jeffery patter is ... where?
    *** WATCH OUT FOR YOUR EARS !***

“We don’t want to be classed in any category.” -Jimi Hendrix

"If you can play, you can play anything. I don't like classifications." - Buddy Rich

Thanks

When it comes to managers in those days and often now. I think the saying "no news is good news" is about as good as it gets. Can't recall anyone saying good things about their managers? For pro Jeffery, or neutral/balanced info you may have to research a bit.
    Last edited by stplsd; 02-05-09 at 12:03 PM.

Thanks

When it comes to managers in those days and often now. I think the saying "no news is good news" is about as good as it gets.
    I think not, do your homework (for starters, Brian Epstein, Albert Grossman, duh!).

Can't recall anyone saying good things about their managers?
    Don't sweat it, I do not expect you to know it all.

For pro Jeffery, or neutral/balanced info you may have to research a bit.
    You do it, and good luck -

"If you can play, you can play anything. I don't like classifications." - Buddy Rich

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 520 Posts

Well, Trixie Sullivan has nice words for Jeffery.
    But she was his assistant, even smuggled money for him in her bra...
    I just re-read Setting the Record Straight, and it gives a good picture of how Jeffery basically used the co-ownership of Electric Lady Studios to make sure Hendrix didn't leave. It also forced Jimi to tour, as funds were needed to complete the studio. Cunning.

Thanks

Michael Jefferey that is the answer to who killed JIMI HENDRIX JIMI was ready to leave MJ when the contract was up in 1970 he also payed Devon to spy on JIMI with drugs and money where he went who he talked to and what they talked about once M J knew JIMI was looking at other managers such as Alan Douglas among others M.J. once said"Hendrix is worth more dead to me than alive"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dino77 View Post
    ... as funds were needed ...
    'Yameta', ...anyone?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wasami View Post
    Michael Jefferey that is the answer to who killed JIMI HENDRIX JIMI was ready to leave MJ when the contract was up in 1970 he also payed Devon to spy on JIMI with drugs and money where he went who he talked to and what they talked about once M J knew JIMI was looking at other managers such as Alan Douglas among others M.J. once said"Hendrix is worth more dead to me than alive"
    Surely Alan Douglas had already been tried and found wanting? who were these other potential managers? So Jeffery killed him? and who said Jeffery said this? and how was he worth more dead than alive? How do you know about Devon's involvment?
    Last edited by stplsd; 02-05-09 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks

Surely Alan Douglas had already been tried and found wanting? who were these other potential managers? So Jeffery killed him? and who said Jeffery said this? and how was he worth more dead than alive? How do you know about Devon's involvment?
    good lord dude, all your answers can be found in a ton of printed articles and videos floating around here (CCT included) and there. this new thing called 'google'... check it out and have some fun.

Thanks

So you agree that Jeffery killed him? what videos? what printed material, I don't see any related to Jeffery here. Have you actually read setting the record straight?
    Last edited by stplsd; 02-05-09 at 08:14 PM.

Thanks

heh, heh ... i'm done here,

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MourningStar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

There are any number of Jeffery stories flitting about, it's questionable at this point whether most of the "best" stuff will ever be published---but maybe.

One of my favorites is how he would go out of his way to encourage filmmakers to shoot Jimi's/the Experience's shows, granting them accessibility & free backstage passes etc all the while being too busy helping them set up lighting & plug in gear to get around to signing the release forms...until the footage was shot, at which point he'd "graciously" offer them a percentage interest in the film...which all would, hmmm, refuse to sign.

Some of this is what's been slowly (finally) seeing light of day in recent times...& with as little "help" from The Janie Company as possible (you get my drift).

What a card, that Mike J, lol. With undeniable mob ties (going all the way back to his Newcastle roots).

But Chas knew exactly what he was getting into with him...and why. And don't discount the Burdon factor by any means.

Thanks

The above "story" would appear to be the, now old, account of what happened with Gold & Goldstein and the Albert Hall film. Which Jimi was very interested in, writing about the setting up of it before hand to (it would appear) Jeffery and later discussing the court injunction on it back stage at the Isle of Wight with Gerry Stickells

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MourningStar View Post
    I think not, do your homework (for starters, Brian Epstein, Albert Grossman, duh!).

Don't sweat it, I do not expect you to know it all.

You do it, and good luck -
    There's plenty of debate about Brians skills as a manager and he dishonestly snuck in a clause to one of their contracts boosting himself from 15 to 25%, for nine years, okay not a patch on Jeffrey & Chandler's whopping 40%! but still. And Lennon complained about the Seltaeb fiasco, which was another duff deal.

There's plenty of bad stories about Grossman if you want to look, he reportedly took 25% from Bob who finally left him in 1970, as Jimi may or may not have decided to leave Mike in 1970. Killing your client and business partner over this possibility doen't appear to make sense. Jimi was still tied financially to him until at least 1972 through his Warner's contract, and there would be plenty of scope for a charm offensive and re-negotiating. Jimi only (allegedly) discussed the possibility of using Alan Douglas (briefly) to rid himself of Jeffery to Chas in London just before he died. And at the same time he had only requested in one phone call that Eddie take the tapes for his new album over to England with him, to work together with Chas to finish it off, as he (allegedly) felt he had lost objectivity. but Eddie had asked him to think about it, as his work in his new studio was going well.

The mafia "kidnap" has got to be the weirdest story, but the unfounded allegation that this was set up by Mike Jeffery was by an embittered Noel, who had been sacked from the Experience and had left the US. Jim Marron, Bob Levine, Kathy Eberth, Trixie Sullivan etc. all tell it as a drugs deal gone wrong, involving a minor hood of Jimi's aquaintance - Bobby Woods -during which Jimi was in little danger and Mike (possibly) ending it a bit sooner than it would have anyway.
    Last edited by stplsd; 02-06-09 at 02:42 PM.

Thanks

^

Thanks

The above "story" would appear to be the, now old, account of what happened with Gold & Goldstein and the Albert Hall film.
    Except that it's not.

Joe Boyd is just one who recalls/confirms such & various other "exploits" of the ex-manager of not only Jimi, the Animals, et al.

And btw I happen to agree that Jeffery was in many cases just doing business as usual for the time & as he learnt it (he already knew about club-owning in Newcastle when he took on Eric & Chas, eg) and from many povs of the era simply more "shrewdly" than most, Hendrix' untimely passing certainly tilted many "interpretations" of MJ to a particular kilter it likely wouldn't have now if Hendrix had stuck around.
    Last edited by scoutship; 02-06-09 at 10:37 AM.

Thanks

It is nice to know where information comes from and then others can read it for themselves, so thanks for the info on Joe Boyd, would that be from "White Bicycles"? Any other info about this subject of films being made but unreleased due to Jeffery's shennanigans would be most welcome I'm sure.

Thanks

It is nice to know where information comes from
    lol you were the one trying to make out like ur so up on things.

If u actually were, you'd know roughly a book's worth of new info on Jeffery came forth after the last 2/3 JH bios hit the racks, and that Burdon (same neighborhood ties) helped cinch MJ's mob ties. Written about on the old Sky Church board.

'cept not much market for a book on Jefferey. kinda strange how most Hendrix followers forget M. had dealings with many, many others in the biz, though, that have tales to tell...and many of them do line up interestingly.

But no matter and never mind, I'm personally far more interested in the music & the creative aspects than the gossip go-round or "debating" with people for whom Hendrix is basically a religion, or some space prophet or Spirit Land priest or something. But good luck with all that (To Whom It May Concern), got some tracks to strip down and turn inside-up before the wknd is out...

Fly on.

Thanks

I thought this thread was for discussing whether Jefferey was a good or bad manager, not an ego competition, so, are you going to let us know about this Jeffery info, not everyone here was on the old Sky Church board, is Burdon's book worth reading or does he just spout his usual nonesense. And what about these movies, do you have more info?
    Last edited by stplsd; 02-07-09 at 04:40 AM.

Thanks

Overworked?:

the question is, who hired you ?
    besides that maybe you trying to make MJ a saint, do you have other "Perls" in pocket ?

-----------

"sometimes a memory only sees what it wants to believe"
    -Chris Robinson

I don't get this guy, and I surly don't know what are his interests, but I'm sure in one thing.. people like that makes me worry, and it was only 39 years ago...
    is there a written law that says: if it was long ago then it probably didn't happen. ?