Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Michael Jeffery: good or bad?

Thanks

Re: Michael Jeffery: good or bad?

Mitch said it best, Jimi was not a naive man; he knew what he was letting himself in for.

I'll leave it at that. Not gonna spill someone else's beans for the likes of a stplsd.

That Jeffery had undeniable managerial value & skills is an assessment anyone should be able to make from generally available info. That his personal & professional judgment was a somewhat different matter at times can be pretty easily inferred from that same info.
    Last edited by scoutship; 02-07-09 at 02:48 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MourningStar View Post
    ... and the pro-Jeffery patter is ... where?
    Jim Marron for one. He rates Mike highly and was also a good Friend of Jimi, so had a good perspective on things. He does admit that Mike was certainly not squeeky clean but not monster he is made out to be by a long shot.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,253 Times in 1,824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by univibs View Post
    the question is, who hired you ?
    besides that maybe you trying to make MJ a saint, do you have other "Perls" in pocket ?

-----------

"sometimes a memory only sees what it wants to believe"
    -Chris Robinson

I don't get this guy, and I surly don't know what are his interests, but I'm sure in one thing.. people like that makes me worry, and it was only 39 years ago...
    is there a written law that says: if it was long ago then it probably didn't happen. ?
    I think my interests are quite clear, I'm trying to get a clear picture of what Mike Jeffery actually did and didn't do. Why would anyone hire me? Where do I make out Jeffery was a saint then? and what does "perls in pocket" mean?

So your contribution to the debate is just strange, cryptic, illogical innuendo, no actual info or clear point of view then?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scoutship View Post

Not gonna spill someone else's beans for the likes of a stplsd.
    Is this supposed to mean you're not going to give out any info you may have relating to this debate in case I might read it?

Thanks

So your contribution to the debate is just strange, cryptic, illogical innuendo, no actual info or clear point of view then?
    Or maybe some of us just remember certain past experiences with posters who claimed their "interests were clear."

Is this supposed to mean you're not going to give out any info you may have relating to this debate in case I might read it?
    Not my job.

And fans who depend solely on "reading" or collecting their way to insight (or is it enlightenment, lol) are somewhat suspect, in my experience. But there ya go.

Happy researching.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,900 Times in 754 Posts

And fans who depend solely on "reading" or collecting their way to insight (or is it enlightenment, lol) are somewhat suspect, in my experience.
    Too bad about your 'experience', please elaborate - I'm sincerely interested.

Understand that there are very few people 'who were there' still around and soon everyone will only have ... " "reading" or collecting " ... as their only available resources.
    *** WATCH OUT FOR YOUR EARS !***

“We don’t want to be classed in any category.” -Jimi Hendrix

"If you can play, you can play anything. I don't like classifications." - Buddy Rich

Thanks

And fans who depend solely on "reading" or collecting their way to insight (or is it enlightenment, lol) are somewhat suspect, in my experience. But there ya go.

Happy researching.
    I'm trying the other approach available from reading or collecting here, namely attempting to communicate with people who may have other info, so we can all share it, what's the problem?

And suspect of what!? exactly

Thanks

Understand that there are very few people 'who were there' still around and soon everyone will only have ... " "reading" or collecting " ... as their only available resources.
    My point exactly

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    I think my interests are quite clear, I'm trying to get a clear picture of what Mike Jeffery actually did and didn't do. Why would anyone hire me? Where do I make out Jeffery was a saint then? and what does "perls in pocket" mean?

The facts, whatever they may be, are well known my friend.
    because of that, and because we can't change History, it would be useless to get into an argument.
    that's about that.
    sorry !

Thanks

Too bad about your 'experience', please elaborate - I'm sincerely interested.

I think I'd like to Quote MourningStar's Question AND remark. That remark is more important than you might know.

As Marcos and I "Were There" and managed to see Jimi Hendrix at a relatively young age, I'd like to personally offer a Suspect to 'anybody' who sees a fight brewing here at CTT and doesn't start his next thread off with, "Hey. Let's be friends". Or, "Man. I think we got off to a bad start. How about we start over again. Here's how I feel about . . . 'whatever' ".

There's no way around 'mushy' here, but haven't we learned anything in 40+ years?
    I guess I'm trying to say, when the intensity gets to where we're holding back name-calling, do us ALL a favor and PM each other. Period.
    Nobody enjoys a good Hendrix fight like I do, but when people start speaking to others in the 3rd person, in public, it can't be good.
    I'd offer any tidbit to anybody, friend or foe, if I thought it would positively effect something 4 them down the road. But that's just me. Try it sometime. It leaves you with a real nice feeling.

Sorry. I just got pissed off at the argument that seems to be building here. Please stop.
    Peace

PS: What exactly was it that stplsd said that was so wrong, or 'Suspect'? If it can be said publicly, let's have it. If it can't be said publicly, please PM me. I'm seriously interested.
    Later
    Last edited by Steev; 02-09-09 at 05:27 PM.
    Just below the surface of our everyday world lie riches . . .

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steev For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by univibs View Post
    The facts, whatever they may be, are well known my friend.
    because of that, and because we can't change History, it would be useless to get into an argument.
    that's about that.
    sorry !
    We can get a clearer picture of what that history might be. I think the pertinent facts have yet to be determined and laid out in manner that would enable a reasoned picture to emerge, I'm not interested in scoring points.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,324 Times in 900 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Earth Blues View Post
    This post is soooooooooooo misleading it's not even funny. It doesn't factor in the travel time, say...from Miami to Toronto, or something like that, with no time for rest.
    As Mitch said, they were reminded many times that they should be grateful that they were FLYING to their gigs, as most bands at the time were traveling in cars and vans.
    Last edited by RobbieRadio; 02-11-09 at 12:48 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieRadio View Post
    As Mitch said, they were reminded many times that they should be grateful that they were FLYING to their concerts, as most bands at the time were traveling in cars and vans.
    Because they could do more shows and (allegedly) make more money? -

(perhaps he was too stoned to appreciate the fact that road travel would have provided more time for the much needed sleep, heh heh!)

"If you can play, you can play anything. I don't like classifications." - Buddy Rich

Thanks

Backstage interview at the Hollywood Palladium 1969 just prior to the start of the last tour with Noel. Jimi appears to be looking for more gigs, to add to the tour?

Jay : Are you gonna make it out to Palm Springs?… the pop festival out there?
    Jimi : I love that [talking to somone else?]
    Jay : Are you gonna make it out to Palm Springs?…
    Jimi : What?
    Jay : …for the-uh, the pop festival out there?
    Dave: Have you heard about that?
    Jimi : No
    Dave: All the heavy blues groups, you know, Mayall…
    Jimi : Blues groups?...
    Dave: …Mayall, I mean
    Jimi : …Oowhuhh… Great… We’d love to, if we can, man, we’d love to
    Jay : Make it out there, then you have made an epic
    Jimi : You’d really think we’d have known there’s one in a scheduled national tour, you know, that’s, you know, all corners, and, like, a-any gigs-uh, between those gigs that we have lined up already, we’d be glad to do. We’d like to do a lot of, you know, we’d like to do a few ah, benefits, because it’s ah, I don’t know, it’s-it’s pretty hard to explain right now, in a rush, but, you know, some cat’s can really get uppity, a-and get a image thing…
    Jay : Right
    Jimi : …and start being slaves to the public, and forget what their own intentions are, and the idea is to give, you know
    Jay : Right
    Jimi : And, so we like to, you know, give a few things here and there.
    Last edited by stplsd; 04-24-09 at 06:36 PM. Reason: text

Thanks

If I can add a bit here...

I have spent Quality time with several key people in the Hendrix scene...
    Namely..

Mike Quashie,Colette Mimram, Kirsten Nefer, & a host of other musicians,
    Artist..clothing makers..ect..That knew Jimi personally.

The General consensus is..
    Mike Worked Jimi Too Hard. & Jimi Spent A Great Deal of his time trying to Avoid Mike...

Most people also say Jimi wasn't strong enough to just tell everyone to
    F*#@ OFF !!! so he could regroup.

Mike wanted to Make Money & wasn't looking to make friends..

Jimi wanted to be a Full On Artist..& Demanded Friendship & True Respect
    From all his Personal associates..
    Good Bad..?
    That's my 2 cents on the whole Mike Jeffery thing.
    Jimi is simply the Greatest of all time !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by copifunk View Post
    If I can add a bit here...

I have spent Quality time with several key people in the Hendrix scene...
    Namely..

Mike Quashie,Colette Mimram, Kirsten Nefer, & a host of other musicians,
    Artist..clothing makers..ect..That knew Jimi personally.

The General consensus is..
    Mike Worked Jimi Too Hard. & Jimi Spent A Great Deal of his time trying to Avoid Mike...

Most people also say Jimi wasn't strong enough to just tell everyone to

Mike wanted to Make Money & wasn't looking to make friends..

Jimi wanted to be a Full On Artist..& Demanded Friendship & True Respect
    From all his Personal associates..
    Good Bad..?
    That's my 2 cents on the whole Mike Jeffery thing.
    well said, cheers!

Thanks

If I can add a bit here........That's my 2 cents on the whole Mike Jeffery thing.
    Hmmmm, no new revelations here, so yeah, that's 2 cents alright -

Thanks

4 cents !

Hmmmm, no new revelations here, so yeah, that's 2 cents alright -
    Jimi is simply the Greatest of all time !

Thanks

Did Jimi not have a mind of his own?
    As far as I can see it looks very much as if Jimi was a bit of a workaholic (if you count jamming and experimenting in the studio as work, which Jimi doesn't appear to have) and a perfectionist (thankfully), a lot of the time when he wasn't touring he was in the studio or jamming in clubs (sometimes while on tour!).

When Collette started going out with Jimi it was a period when he hardly played any gigs at all.
    After nearly nine months during which he only played 3 gigs & 3 TV shows all in New York City (apart from Woodstock fest) - one of these was the BOGs Madison Sq debacle (Aarhus?) - that could be attributed to Jeffery. The two other BOGs dates at the Fillmore E were due to Ed Chalpin, if any one seems to be the 'bad guy' here he surely qualifies, hounding Jimi financially right to the end. Jimi and Jefferey's proceeds from Jimi's record sales, royalties, publishing etc. were frozen in the US for over a year as far as I can make out - from the initial court action to the delivery of the BOGs LP -Warner's declined to support Jimi & Jeffery in defending the case, and qualify's them I feel as 'bad guys' too, the extent of their possible involvement and wheeling & dealing with Capitol ('bad guys' too), doesn't appear to have been considered or investigated much if at all. and Jimi & Jeffery's cash from Jimi's record sales had been been put on ice again, this time in Europe, pending the outcome of Chalpin' latest European court case.
    His last tour was supposedly only put together to help pay for his studio, (the large 'advance' from Warner's to bail them out, did it come free of interest?) a hugely expensive undertaking, which had overrun as these things have a habit of doing, and appears to have been way over estimate. This tour of the US does not appear to be too onerous for a 27 year old man:

4th North American tour ('The cry of love tour' as Jimi christened it) by the ‘Jimi Hendrix Experience’:
    Apr – 2
    May – 8 (2 of these were two shows)
    June – 11 (2 shows in Jul – 2 (both 2 shows) (1 of these was Hawaii)
    Aug - 1 (Hawaii)

Hawaii sounds like a bit of a holiday really, Jimi appears to be happy by all accounts including photos and the film of the 2 shows for the 'Wave'/'Rainbow Bridge' film where he's laughing and clowning about.

After this he had nearly the rest of the month off touring, which he spent much of in his new state of the art studio including mastering his latest single 'Dolly Dagger'/ 'Night Bird Flying' at Sterling

Kirsten only met Jimi when he was playing a tour that consisted of just ten dates, he only played six - for two of which he was obviously 'out of it' on something, it has been alleged Mandrax/Quaalude (which does fit the bill), Aarhus was abandoned after only two songs - Jimi would have had a break for six days before the last four which were cancelled due to Billy's "breakdown":

Aug – 1 on the 30th at the Isle of Wight festival
    Sep – 5
    cancelled:

13th Sep , De Doelen, Holland
    25th Sep Essen Grugahallen Pop and Blues Festival , West Germany
    Sep in Paris, date? venue?
    Sep in Vienna date? venue?

Who carried the burden of the massive amount of back royalties awarded to Chalpin in his US court action?

Somebody please correct me here if my information is wrong.
    Last edited by stplsd; 02-28-09 at 06:13 AM.

Thanks

1. The General consensus is..

2. Most people also say Jimi wasn't strong enough to just tell everyone to

3. Mike wanted to Make Money & wasn't looking to make friends..
    1. The general consensus of these people might be this, but based on what? I fail to see, as most of the people mentioned were only around from around May 69 from when Jimis touring commitments had been cut dramatically

2. see above

3. sounds like a manager to me