Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Who Influenced Jimi?

Thanks

Who Influenced Jimi?

Jimi's musical influences were diverse. Here's a place to post quotes, links and musical samples or just post your opinions.

I'll start with Lightnin' Hopkins. I hear Hopkins all over "Voodoo Chile". Jimi's signature guitar trills and Jimi's spacey blues timing seem to trace directly to Hopkins.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Roland Stone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,245 Times in 528 Posts

Re: Who Influenced Jimi?

I'll pick the most obvious one, then - Bob Dylan!
    The most obvious examples would be Wind Cries Mary and My Friend.
    The lyrics to My Friend are typical of Dylan's freewheeling, obscure
    acid-inspired writing from 65-67.

Thanks

Here's one of Jimi's more obscure influences. Perhaps the first time that Jimi heard "phlange phasing" was way back in 1959 on Miss Toni Fisher's "The Big Hurt".

In an interview Jimi gave to the Cleveland Plain Dealer in March 1968:
    "Say, have you heard of a record called 'The Big Hurt?' It's old. By Toni Fisher I think but I don't know the label. All of the new techniques were used on that record without anyone knowing about it. I'd sure like to get that one."
    Comment | Permalink

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Roland Stone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

How about Muddy Waters, Bo Diddley, Howin' Wolf, Albert King, BB King, Earl King - he actually recorded songs by all of these and was photographed posing with LP's By Wolf, Bo & Muddy as well as Dylan.
    Last edited by stplsd; 04-04-09 at 09:12 AM.

Thanks

Buddy Guy. A lot of Jimi's stage presence comes from Buddy Guy, not to mention we have footage of Jimi recording Buddy Guy!!

And I think his tone on some recordings with Curtis Knight (Christmas Plus One) sounds a lot like Buddy Guy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,920 Times in 761 Posts

Lucille Hendrix was an influence.
    "Watch Out For Your Ears!"

"We don't want to be classed in any category" - HENDRIX

“If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MourningStar View Post
    Lucille Hendrix was an influence.
    well said, esp. on tunes such as Angel, Gypsy Eyes, Hey Baby, and many more.

another: Elvis Presley, when Jimi was younger he saw him perform live in Seattle.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 554 Posts

Other influences:
    Little Walter (listen to that wild soaring harmonica !).
    Johnny Guitar Watson
    Curtis Mayfield
    The Beatles
    Eric Clapton
    Jeff Beck

Thanks

Science fiction books, The war in Vietnam, Dreams (purple haze), Flights (a lot of his songs was written during flying), People (good and bad) - don't forget the Isle of wight pre show interview when asked "where do you get your inspiration?" and he said: "from the people", LSD, Freedom, Sex, Women, racism, and the list goes on and on.

when someone is asking who influenced Jimi, and people start to think about artists and records, they don't think the Jimi's way or a real musician way of thinking.
    music is just a small stream of influence, what we experience every day is a Ocean of influences.

and in Jimi's case, you can hear it in each and every song.
    desperation in "I Don't live today"
    sex in "Foxy Lady"
    racism in "House burning down"
    and War in "Machine Gun"

the Who influenced Jimi changed to What influenced Jimi.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to univibs For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by univibs View Post
    Science fiction books, The war in Vietnam, ...
    ...blah blah woof woof ...
    ...the Who influenced Jimi changed to What influenced Jimi.
    Yes, I think we all understand all that - we were not born yesterday you know. Ever stop to think that perhaps Roland is only interested in just "who"?

“If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

Thanks
    Thanked 1,722 Times in 96 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MourningStar View Post
    Yes, I think we all understand all that - we were not born yesterday you know. Ever stop to think that perhaps Roland is only interested in just "who"?

come on....marcos. whatever roland was interested in....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,245 Times in 528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Earth Blues View Post
    Buddy Guy. A lot of Jimi's stage presence comes from Buddy Guy, not to mention we have footage of Jimi recording Buddy Guy!!

And I think his tone on some recordings with Curtis Knight (Christmas Plus One) sounds a lot like Buddy Guy.

Too help yet another thread from degererating into an argument
    I would just like to say I agree. Jimi sounds a lot like Buddy on the Squires recordings. But better, of course . Buddy plays too many notes.

Thanks

Yeah, Jimi loved Buddy Guy.
    Another big influence was his Cherokee grandmother, his Native American roots. You can feel the influences on his music is many songs, not just the obvious "Cherokee Mist" but also "I Dont Live Today", "Voodoo Child (Slight Return", "Gypsy Eyes", …

Thanks

Pete Townsend influenced Jimi.

Thanks

Red face Re: Who Influenced Jimi?

i was born yesterday . .and it feels fxxkin great so far . .and just to put things back into context . .although Jimi grubbed around the blues clubs scrounging a living in his early days etc etc . .the one thing that set his mind on fire was . .drum roll please . . rrrrrrrrrrrrrr ta da . .LSD !!! ov course we are moving ever forward into a mamby pamby pc world where one day we won't even be able to mention such things . .sad innit . .

'and eleven moons played across a rainbow above for me and you' . .say no more eh . .but without recreational drugs most ov the 60's artistic movement just would'nt of happened . .its as simple as that folks . .
    hows that for an answer ??

and just as a footnote, when i was a young twat sharing my thoughts and dreams long ago, i used to get asked by some ov my mates . ."whats it like ? " (LSD) and i would very simply put 1983 (Merman ) on my record deck . .and say . ."it sorta sounds like this" . .
    Last edited by BURTCOBAIN; 02-27-09 at 12:45 PM.

Thanks

I was more interested in specific instances of directly traceable musical or lyrical influences. For instance, the phrase "might even raise a little sand" from Voodoo Chile (SR) - I always thought that was a Jimi original, until I heard it in an early 60's R&B lyric (sorry I can't recall who it was right now but its on the "Rhino Big Box of Soul", Little Milton maybe?)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Stone View Post
    I was more interested in specific instances of directly traceable musical or lyrical influences. For instance, the phrase "might even raise a little sand" from Voodoo Chile (SR) - I always thought that was a Jimi original, until I heard it in an early 60's R&B lyric (sorry I can't recall who it was right now but its on the "Rhino Big Box of Soul", Little Milton maybe?)
    yup point taken, i guess my reply was more ov a 'what' influenced Jimi's music as apposed to 'who' . .but i do think the (Acid) thing was a big turning point in his life . .all that talk about 'soundpainting' is a good example . .i think in his early days Jimi was probably influenced by so many transient musicians who simply wanted and needed to try and get on in life just like him . .a way out from a life ov hurt poverty and drudgery i guess . .i think Jimi soaked up everyone and anyone who struck a chord in his yearning to become noticed and apretiated . .as Pete Townshend put it so brilliantly in the film 'Jimi' he was unashamed and willing to play and jam with anyone . .and i think thats why his style became so eclectic and interesting, aint it a shame he never made it, i think Jimi was heading for much bigger things . .all he needed was some time off and the space to make that quatum leap into the next period ov his evolution . .
    oops i'm on a ramble . .ok arms down head up and . .breath . .x

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

"Raise sand" "raising sand" is nobody's specific "lyric" it's just an old expression meaning to cause a disturbance, get angry etc.

Thanks

There's a guitar lick in The Coaster's "I'm a Hog For You Baby" that I'm certain Jimi lifted from Barney Kessel. It's the sweet kind of pretty sounding guitar hook that comes right after The Coasters sing "Cause I'm a Hog For You Baby, I can't get enough of your love" and just before the next line "When I go to sleep at night you're the only one I'm dreaming of". I've heard Jimi use that same lick many times. I know he could have come up with it independently but I don't think I've heard another guitarist use it except for Shuggie Otis (and I think Shuggie was probably channeling Jimi when he used the lick near the end of "Ice Cold Daydream").

And we know Jimi was a Coasters fan because "Takin Care of No Business" is almost a direct lift of "D.W. Washburn"!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Stone View Post
    And we know Jimi was a Coasters fan because "Takin Care of No Business" is almost a direct lift of "D.W. Washburn"!
    I didn't know that ! Thanks for the info.