Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Who Influenced Jimi?

Thanks

Re: Who Influenced Jimi?

I'd like to add Richie Havens and Little Richard to the list.

Thanks

On second thought, not a "direct lift" but certainly a "direct descendant". Both songs have the same old-timey Salvation Army Band feel and we know Jimi wanted similar horns in his arrangement (I believe they were added posthumously) and they have almost identical subject matter, but "Takin Care of No Business" is written from the first person point of view, almost as if "D.W. Washburn" is singing about himself.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,920 Times in 761 Posts

Among musicians of any instrument, it is quite common to come up with a 'riff', totally independently. As a drummer, I recall many 'licks' I incorporated into my playing, only to hear it done by another without ever hearing it by them. True also, that I have incorporated other's into my own (I fell in love with Mitch's snare-tom-cymbal runs from 'Manic Depression, one among others). Therefore, and do not anyone take any offense, I pay little heed to declarations that a specific phrase was 'lifted' or any other term one wishes to apply. Unless, of course, it is admitted to, as I have done.
    "Watch Out For Your Ears!"

"We don't want to be classed in any category" - HENDRIX

“If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 554 Posts

I suppose this calls for a list of the songs that Jimi covered. So definately the artists that influenced him:

- Hey Joe (Billy Roberts) and by Love, Byrds, Leaves and mosy impotantly Tim Rose
    - Mercy Mercy - Don Covay
    - Like A Rolling Stone, Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window, All Along The Watchtower, Drifter's Escape (Bob Dylan)
    - Come On (Part One) (Earl King)
    - Wild Thing (Chip Taylor) - The Troggs
    - Gloria (Van Morrison) - Them
    - Sunshine Of Your Love (Bruce/Brown/Clapton) - Cream
    - Bleeding Heart (James/Sehorn) - Elmore James
    - Catfish Blues (various sources)
    - Drivin' South (Robert Petway) - Albert Collins
    - Blue Suede Shoes (Carl Perkins)
    - Johnny B. Goode (Chuck Berry)
    - Summertime Blues (Eddie Cochran)
    - Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, Day tripper, Tomorrow Never Knows (Lennon/McCartney)
    - Outside Woman Blues (Arthur Reynolds) - Cream
    - Manish Boy (McKinley Morganfield = Muddy Waters)
    - Rock Me Baby (BB King)
    - Born Under A Bad Sign (Jones/Bell) and by Albert King, Cream
    - l'm Your Hoochie Coochie Man (Willie Dixon) - Muddy Waters
    - Travelling To California - Albert King
    - San-Ho-Zay - Freddie King
    - Hound Dog (Leiber/Stoller) - Elvis Presley
    - Killing Floor (Chester Burnett = Howlin Wolf)
    - Things That I Used To Do - Guitar Slim
    - Further On Up The Road - Bobby Bland
    - Stop (Ragovoy/Shuman) - Howard Tate
    - Tax Free (Hanssen/Karlsson)
    - Peter Gunne (Henry Mancini)
    - Dear Mr Fantasy (Winwood/Capaldi/Wood =Traffic)
    - Star Spangled Banner (John Stafford Smith)

Then there are the odd riffs that he would throw in:
    - Strangers In The Night - Frank Sinatra
    - Race With The Devil - Gun
    - Rice Pudding - Jeff beck
    - Satisfaction - The Rolling Stones
    -…

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MourningStar View Post
    Yes, I think we all understand all that - we were not born yesterday you know. Ever stop to think that perhaps Roland is only interested in just "who"?

there are important things that should be explained. if not, in ten years from now people will think that his major influences were other musicians... that's only half true.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,920 Times in 761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by univibs View Post
    there are important things that should be explained. if not, in ten years from now people will think that his major influences were other musicians... that's only half true.
    Good point. However, only Jimi can tell us whether it's "... half true". But, alas, Jimi has left the building.
    "Watch Out For Your Ears!"

"We don't want to be classed in any category" - HENDRIX

“If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by purple jim View Post
    I suppose this calls for a list of the songs that Jimi covered. So definately the artists that influenced him:

- Hey Joe (Billy Roberts) and by Love, Byrds, Leaves and mosy impotantly Tim Rose
    - Mercy Mercy - Don Covay
    - Like A Rolling Stone, Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window, All Along The Watchtower, Drifter's Escape (Bob Dylan)
    - Come On (Part One) (Earl King)
    - Wild Thing (Chip Taylor) - The Troggs
    - Gloria (Van Morrison) - Them
    - Sunshine Of Your Love (Bruce/Brown/Clapton) - Cream
    - Bleeding Heart (James/Sehorn) - Elmore James
    - Catfish Blues (various sources)
    - Drivin' South (Robert Petway) - Albert Collins
    - Blue Suede Shoes (Carl Perkins)
    - Johnny B. Goode (Chuck Berry)
    - Summertime Blues (Eddie Cochran)
    - Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, Day tripper, Tomorrow Never Knows (Lennon/McCartney)
    - Outside Woman Blues (Arthur Reynolds) - Cream
    - Manish Boy (McKinley Morganfield = Muddy Waters)
    - Rock Me Baby (BB King)
    - Born Under A Bad Sign (Jones/Bell) and by Albert King, Cream
    - l'm Your Hoochie Coochie Man (Willie Dixon) - Muddy Waters
    - Travelling To California - Albert King
    - San-Ho-Zay - Freddie King
    - Hound Dog (Leiber/Stoller) - Elvis Presley
    - Killing Floor (Chester Burnett = Howlin Wolf)
    - Things That I Used To Do - Guitar Slim
    - Further On Up The Road - Bobby Bland
    - Stop (Ragovoy/Shuman) - Howard Tate
    - Tax Free (Hanssen/Karlsson)
    - Peter Gunne (Henry Mancini)
    - Dear Mr Fantasy (Winwood/Capaldi/Wood =Traffic)
    - Star Spangled Banner (John Stafford Smith)

-…
    Jimi didn't cover a Sly Stone song but he admired Sly's music.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hytag9 View Post
    Jimi didn't cover a Sly Stone song but he admired Sly's music.
    He did quote the riff from "sing a simple song"..

Thanks

I don't recall "Travelling to California" or "San-Ho-Zay" in the Hendrix discography. Can you point me to them?

And to the "odd riffs" section you can add "Hail to the Chief", The Beatles "I Feel Fine" and Cream's "Cat Squirrel".

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Stone View Post
    I don't recall "Travelling to California" or "San-Ho-Zay" in the Hendrix discography. Can you point me to them?

And to the "odd riffs" section you can add "Hail to the Chief", The Beatles "I Feel Fine" and Cream's "Cat Squirrel".
    093. San Ho-Zay – Freddie King 1961
    Billy Cox played (prominently) in the studio band that backed Freddie on his several performances for ‘The Beat!!!’ TV show. Jimi based a jam around this, with Al Kooper and some of Paul Butterfield’s band, at the Generation Club, in April 1968. Jimi can be heard saying: "Do you think we can do this one it’s in ‘G’?... Part of it’s in ‘A’, in ‘A’… Like, somethin’ like San-Ho-Zay, with the little breaks, an’ all that, you know, like Freddie King"

077. Travellin’ To California - Albert King 1960
    Apart from the words ‘Everyday I Have The Blues’ (listen to 018) of the title being a line of the lyric this song bears very little resemblance to it. Albert K also recorded a version of 'Everyday…etc'. But this is a different song, an original composition. Albert K is remembered by Jimi’s Seattle band mates as being a big influence on him, also recorded by Jimmy (vocal) and “The Squires” [Curtis Knight?] (probably at Studio 76 in early 1966)

In return could you please tell me where Jimi plays "Hail the Chief"
    Last edited by stplsd; 03-01-09 at 04:47 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by purple jim View Post
    Bleeding Heart (James/Sehorn) - Elmore James
    Catfish Blues (various sources)
    Drivin' South (Robert Petway) - Albert Collins
    Manish Boy (McKinley Morganfield = Muddy Waters)

Race With The Devil - Gun
    Rice Pudding - Jeff beck
    -…
    Thanks for this nice post. It raises a couple of points as well. Bleeding Heart I do believe was written by just Elmore James himself, the Sehorn bit being just a commonly used ploy to claim royalties for the producer (in this case Marshall S) or some business associate. "Drivin' South" (see 'Thaw Out' below) was not written by Robert Petway, this is a mix up for 'Catfish Blues' (see below)although Petway cannot be considered the composer of this either as his 'Catfish' song is only one of several others, and only has some resemblance to Muddy Waters' 'Rolling Stone' or Jimi's Catfish Blues (Sometimes known incorrectly as 'Experiencing the Blues' [title given to it on BBC Radio 1 by DJ Tommy Vance] Jimi only ever called it 'Catfish Blues'
    Also the oft quoted "Race With the Devil" the "experts" tell us, on comparison with the original, only bears the most superficial similarity, and on comparing them myself I would agree, have a listen and see.

006. Rollin’ Stone – ‘Muddy Waters’ 1950
    This song is highly derivative of several earlier songs (some using ‘Catfish’ in the title, others not) by different artists, as are a lot of ‘original’ ‘Blues’ songs, Jimi lifted the first two verses of this (verbatim) for his ‘Catfish Blues’ – which he occasionally mentioned on stage as being “Slightly Muddy Waters” or something in a similar vein. Jimi: “When I first started, I was digging […] Muddy Waters […]”

007. Still A Fool (inaccurately aka “Two Trains Running”) – ‘Muddy Waters’ 1951
    Jimi lifted the first verse of this (verbatim) for the third verse of his ‘Catfish Blues’ see above.

128. Thaw Out - Albert Collins 1965
    Jimmy re-arranged this (very slightly) and re-titled it Drivin’ South (see 096. Stranger Blues ) Also recorded with Curtis Knight (a very short, ad-libbed? verse at the beginning, followed by just a list of towns in The South) and “The Squires” (probably at Studio 76 in early 1966). JHE recorded three different versions of this for the BBC in 1967, Jimi also played it in concert and used it in jams several times.

016. I’m A Man – ‘Bo Diddley’ 1955
    A #1 (R&B) hit, a double ‘A’ sided single b/w Bo Diddley (Checker 814). Also a hit for The Yardbirds in the US in 1965. Bo’s songs are remembered by Jimmy’s Seattle band-mates as being part of their repertoire. Jimmy also had himself photographed for his girlfriend Betty Jean Morgan, in his army barracks wearing a very ‘loud’ loose fitting shirt, with the neck opened wide, and in a wild pose with his red guitar emblazoned with his girlfriend’s ‘Betty Jean’ logo in very heavily styled lettering, next to a prominently displayed LP cover of ‘Bo Diddley’s A Gunslinger’ – an appropriate title for his present circumstances. With this cover and title Bo really romanticised Jimi’s chosen profession - “R&B” guitarist/singer (or was that guitar slinger) / songwriter and innovator. It must have made an impression on Jimmy that one of the two reigning “Blues” kings at Chess and one of Jimmy’s early influences - Muddy Waters had released a very close “answer” version of this song, in humorous put-down fashion, thereby acknowledging the importance of Bo’s individual style.
    Jimmy recorded two versions of this with some additional lyrics from Muddy’s ‘Manish Boy’ version, with Jimmy (vocal) and “The Squires” [Curtis Knight?] (probably at Studio 76 in early 1966) One of these has no less than three added verses (including the “Two Old Maids” one from his later version of “Stoop Down, Baby” possibly written by Chick Willis, Chick released two versions of this one in 1972 (when it became a 'jukebox' hit) He also recorded multiple takes of this Bo/Muddy mix at the Record Plant with Buddy & Billy

018. Manish [sic] Boy – ‘Muddy Waters’ 1955
    A hit for Muddy. [See 015 ‘I’m A Man’]. He takes Bo’s original and uses it humorously to put the ‘new kid’ at Chess in his place, letting him know that Muddy is the “M. A. child [listen] N. that relevent me” he then spells it out “No B. O. [Bo] child [you are] Y” (turning Bo’s name into ‘boy’) “That spell manish boy” (i.e. not quite a man yet) – “But …I’m a hoochie coochie man”

Please could you tell me where I might hear the "Rice Pudding" quote?
    Last edited by stplsd; 05-26-09 at 08:10 PM.

Thanks

"Hail to the Chief" is also one of the quotes Jimi would slip in near the end of "Hey Joe" but I'll have to think a while before I can recall exactly which show you'll hear it in. Maybe someone else will remember before I do.

"Rice Pudding" is the ending of "In From the Storm".

Thanks

Just did a quick look through the post's but just in case they were not mentioned, Albert King, Elmore James, Big Bill Broonzy

Thanks

Many thanks, if you do remember the 'Chief 'bit please give us a shout as I'm not familiar with this tune

Thanks

Another quote used several times in 1970 shows: Ernesto Lecuona's "The Breeze & I". I think it shows up in "Machine Gun" in Berlin and "Spanish Castle Magic" in Copenhagen and in some other places too. The song dates back to the 40's and has been covered countless times, but it's possible Jimi got it from the 60's surf group "The Challengers".
    Last edited by Roland Stone; 03-01-09 at 02:21 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Stone View Post
    Another quote used several times in 1970 shows: Ernesto Lecuona's "The Breeze & I". I think it shows up in "Machine Gun" in Berlin and "Spanish Castle Magic" in Copenhagen and in some other places too. The song dates back to the 40's and has been covered countless times, but it's possible Jimi got it from the 60's surf group "The Challengers".
    Thanks for the Challengers info. Jimi also quoted this during Spanish Castle Magic at Milwaukee in 1970. It was also released by 'Santo & Johnny' in 1959, a strange instrumental duo featuring an unusual electric steel guitar and ordinary electric guitar combination. They had a big hit with 'Sleep Walk' earlier. But then it could have been just about any of these, I was searching the challengers for a release date, didn't realise how popular it was until now ha-ha:
    101 Strings Orchestra, Gene Ammons, Art Blakey, Willie Bobo, Martin Böttcher with Siegfried Schwab (guitar) - album "Moonlight Guitar", The Challengers, Sonny Clark
    Xavier Cugat (charted), Vic Damone (charted), Plácido Domingo, Jimmy Dorsey charted), Tommy Dorsey, Bob Eberly, Teddy Edwards/Houston Person, Esquivel, Morton Gould, Percy Faith, The Flamingos, The Four Freshmen, Connie Francis, Barry Harris, Coleman Hawkins, Dick Haymes, Willis Jackson (saxophonist)/Pat Martino, Bert Kaempfert, Wardia Kako, 1950's, in Eastern Assyrian Katzenjammers Steelband ("Steelband WIth Velvet Gloves" - Cook 1047 rec. 1957), Paul Lavalle, Jeanette MacDonald, Charles Magnante, Henry Mancini, Shelly Manne, Mantovani, Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, Jimmy Rowles, Santo & Johnny, The Shadows, Dinah Shore, The Tornados, Caterina Valente (charted), The Ventures, Lawrence Welk, Klaus Wunderlich.
    Last edited by stplsd; 03-01-09 at 04:58 AM.

Thanks

068. Machine Gun - The Riptides 1959
    A surf instrumental and Billboard chart entry not mentioned by anyone, interesting? I think so. Bog’s reheasals (where Machine Gun was eventually defined) Jimi and Buddy: “And you’ll never hear surf music again ha-ha-ha”

After the 1967 session which ends with Jimi's spoken "Then youl'll never hear surf Music again" he says "That sounds like a lie to me" and Chas bursts out laughing.
    Last edited by stplsd; 03-01-09 at 05:09 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by univibs View Post

the Who influenced Jimi changed to What influenced Jimi.
    Yes, it's nice "to sometimes turn it around", people can forget that it wasn't just other peoples music that influenced Jimi.
    Last edited by stplsd; 03-01-09 at 05:45 AM.

Thanks

I fell asleep last night while trying to find the "Hail to the Chief" quote. I must have listened to a dozen "Hey Joe"s before I nodded off As I recall it's pretty well recorded in good sound quality, which made me think Winterland, L.A. or San Diego, but it wasn't any of those. Nor was it Berlin, Boston, Madison, Copenhagen Munster or Vienna.

I think its probably from 69, possibly from 70 and its possibly the same version where he also quotes "Satisfaction" but I couldn't find that one either. Does anyone remember which "Hey Joe" it is where he quotes "Satisfaction"?

yelapavision Guest

Love those odd riffs! A couple more:

Theme from Bonanza (Winterland 10-11-68 1st show)
    Speedy Razors theme (i think that's what it is) (1-9-69 1st show)

anyone know more?

-…[/quote]