Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Who Influenced Jimi?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 554 Posts

Re: Who Influenced Jimi?

"Travelling To California" is also listed as "California Night" and it was recorded during those Curtis Knight Georges Club recordings. There are two recorded versions of the song.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by purple jim View Post
    "Travelling To California" is also listed as "California Night" and it was recorded during those Curtis Knight Georges Club recordings. There are two recorded versions of the song.
    Yes indeed it is, I forgot to mention it. “California 'Night' (ie 'Knight' geddit;-)” it would appear is a bogus title used to claim undeserved royalties by “certain people”. The actual title is “Travelling To California” and was written, recorded and released by Albert King,

The “Georges Club” intro’s are misleading as they were recorded in a studio and later dubbed on to studio recordings, most of which have had bogus “crowd” noises dubbed on as well as other instruments. None of these on close inspection are actually “live in concert” they may be “live” in a studio with what sounds just like a few band members shouting encouragemen and/or insults etc, but they all have dubbed on “crowd” usually, originally, consisting of just a few men, some have the occasional women or two commenting or arguing with each other along with the men (possibly a recording of people in the bar at Georges Club? or elsewhere.) to this has sometimes been added totally bogus applause and stereo overdubbed instruments to the mono tracks – which were probably stereo originally, as some of them appear in stereo as well. This is nothing new, The Stones had bogus live tracks on Got Live If You Want It, so did chuck Berry a whole Lp, Jimi had My Friend & Voodoo Chile , Beatles Sgt Peppers etc. etc. It does appear that at least some, of the tracks were recorded in December 65/January 66 though, as this is when some of the originals first entered the US charts.
    Last edited by stplsd; 03-20-11 at 06:44 AM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Stone View Post
    ". Does anyone remember which "Hey Joe" it is where he quotes "Satisfaction"?
    its at Isle of Wight, he also quotes it during Fire at Randall's Island

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by expjimi View Post
    Love those odd riffs! A couple more:

Theme from Bonanza (Winterland 10-11-68 1st show)
    Speedy Razors theme (i think that's what it is) (1-9-69 1st show)
    anyone know more?

-…
    [/quote]

Before the last chorus of Freedom at Berkeley 1st show:

[Instrumental break featuring Pete Moore’s (UK) ‘Pearl & Dean’ cinema advertising theme Asteroid’ (Pete Moore)

He also quotes Bonaza again at the last Winterland show:

8. THE STAR SPANGLED BANNER (music: ‘The Anacreontic Song’ by John Stafford Smith)

Jimi : Wait

[Quotes theme from ‘BONANZA’ TV show (by Jay Livingston & Ray Evans) original guitar solo by Tommy Tedesco – “The most recorded guitarist in history”]
    ….

What is the 'Speedy Razors' theme please?
    Last edited by stplsd; 04-04-09 at 09:30 AM.

Thanks

To come back to what you said STPLSD, I wouldn't call "My Friend" and The Beatles "Sgt. Pepper's" bogus live tracks. The audience or club noise was added to created a certain "picturesque" effect. As for "Voodoo Chile", I imagine Jimi's entourage were present at one point during the recordings and Jimi decided to keep their applause in. Were are getting off subject here !

Thanks

Well, I feel it’s very pertinent & also interesting that Jimi added bogus “live” effects to both his earlier and later recordings, as this was a feature of several of the songs that Jimi later covered eg ‘Land of a 1000 Dances’ . As to what the reasons for this were in in the case of the PPX recordings, is anyone’s guess. Obviously the reason in the later cases Voodoo etc. was to “create a certain "picturesque" effect.” One could argue that in the case of some of the PPX stuff too, as it’s often of a similar nature to ‘My Friend’, and there is no actual evidence that it was anyones intent to pass these off as genuine “live” recordings, at that time.

The “audience” on Voooo was recorded after the music session, it’s well documented and there are recordings with Jimi telling Eddie that he’s missed the place in the playback when they’re adding the “audience” overdubs. The effect was done so well, that many believed, and some still do, that the “live” audience was there when it was recorded, so it certainly worked. I still "believe" it when I listen to it, even though I know otherwise.

There’s also Hear My Train from the BBC 1967
    Last edited by stplsd; 03-13-09 at 05:49 PM.

Thanks

Continuing the off-topic discussion ;> You could say "My Friend", "STP/LSD", "Voodoo Child" and "Calling All Devil's Children" all feature "Party Audience in the Studio" as another color in Jimi's instrumental pallette. Any others?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,245 Times in 528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Stone View Post
    Continuing the off-topic discussion ;> You could say "My Friend", "STP/LSD", "Voodoo Child" and "Calling All Devil's Children" all feature "Party Audience in the Studio" as another color in Jimi's instrumental pallette. Any others?
    "Taking care of No Business" from Olympic . Has a bartender and a drunk.

Thanks

Talking Re: Who Influenced Jimi?

^
    Ha-ha-ha, cheers!

yelapavision Guest

What is the 'Speedy Razors' theme please?[/QUOTE]

Right at the beginning of the 1-9-69 1st show, that unique riff. It's from a TV commercial for some brand of razor blades (at least that's what I remember someone saying about it).

yelapavision Guest

Beatles watching Jimi

Thanks

amazing player and the only one who is worth listening to .
    Last edited by DaveOwens; 03-05-09 at 11:14 AM.

Thanks

As already mentioned, Elvis was an influence to Jimi. For being an admirer of both, I found it extremely cool that Jimi saw him live. At the time, 14 years old, Jimi saw Elvis' show at Seattle's Sicks' Stadium... as we all know, Jimi himself would later perform on the very same stage. ... Elvis' shows were phenomenal in 1957, so it must've made quite an impression to young Jimi ....... for the curious, below a couple of pictures taken during the actual show (September 1, 1957 - Seattle) ..... and not to go completely 'off', also attached is the drawing Hendrix made of Elvis.

...If my memory serves me correct, Jimi also attended a late-night screening of one of Elvis' movies, "King Creole", while in Paris in 1968....?
    Last edited by Joun; 03-14-09 at 06:32 AM.

Thanks

Saturday 13 June 1970 Baltimore Civic Centre

At the end of GETTING MY HEART BACK TOGETHER Jimi Plays the riff of Fleetwood Mac’s ‘OH, WELL’

Thanks
    Thanked 1,245 Times in 528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    Saturday 13 June 1970 Baltimore Civic Centre

At the end of GETTING MY HEART BACK TOGETHER Jimi Plays the riff of Fleetwood Mac’s ‘OH, WELL’
    Yes, and in Spanish Castle Magic from Berlin 04 Sep 1970, I think.
    Hendrix was a massive Peter Green fan.

Thanks

I can't remember if it is IOW or Atlanta, but at one point Jimi does subtle little reference to a Spirit song. Does that ring a bell with anyone ?

Thanks

Another big influence was his Cherokee grandmother, his Native American roots. You can feel the influences on his music is many songs, not just the obvious "Cherokee Mist" but also "I Dont Live Today", "Voodoo Child (Slight Return", "Gypsy Eyes", …
    He does appear to have been inspired by his Native American ancestry, but his paternal grandmother was only part Cherokee, through her father whose mother was Cherokee, but his father was Irish. The stuff about her being an 'Indian' and living on a reservation was just an exaggeration as part of his early publicity which unfortunately has been repeated until it's become a factoid". According to Cross Jimi's maternal grandmother was also of Cherokee ancestry. There can be no Cherokee "princesses" as there was no Cherokee "Royalty" Native Americans had no concept of hereditary rulers. Interestingly many Cherokee were slave owners.
    Last edited by stplsd; 04-01-09 at 01:39 PM.

Thanks

Removed my bit about Chick Willis as it not as clear as I thought - got some mistaken release dates - about the source for Jimi's versions of 'Stoop Down Baby' (aka 'Two Old Maids')

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dino77 View Post
    Hendrix was a massive Peter Green fan.
    He may have liked him, but surely this is wildly overstating the case?

Thanks

Other influences:
    Johnny Guitar Watson
    I'm interested to know why you think JGW was an influence?