Thread: When & where did Jimi say Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,844 Times in 2,530 Posts

When & where did Jimi say Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens?

This quote often attributed to Jimi doesn't ever come with a date & place, making it of questionable authenticity, it is obviously a reduction from a quote by Oliver Wendell Holmes (1809 – 1894): "It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen"

Did Jimi actually ever say this?
    Last edited by stplsd; 03-03-09 at 06:18 PM.

Thanks

Re: When & where did Jimi say Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens?

As with the previous quotes so called from Jimi, I have never heard a recording or read an interview where he said this. The 'often cattributed to Jimi' bit makes no sense if you ask me.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,844 Times in 2,530 Posts

I think the phrase expresses what I mean, I wouldn't say it makes no sense. it depends on where you get your definition of attribute from. But, okay, If you want to be grammatically picky, how about 'ascribed to'?

at·tribut·er, at·tribu·tor n.
    Synonyms: attribute, ascribe, impute, credit, assign, refer
    These verbs mean to consider as resulting from or belonging to a person or thing. Attribute and ascribe, often interchangeable, have the widest application: The historian discovered a new symphony attributed to Mozart. The museum displayed an invention ascribed to the 15th century.

You surely can infer what I meant - people say Jimi said this, but I see no evidence.
    Last edited by stplsd; 02-27-09 at 07:18 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,059 Times in 832 Posts

It makes sense to me, but 'often attributed'? Never heard this one before either. However, the Holmes connection is familiar. thnx.
    "Watch Out For Your Ears!"

"We don't want to be classed in any category" - HENDRIX

“If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

Thanks

I heard this quote referring to Jimi, many times as well. Here some examples

http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/32041.html

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...dri103615.html

http://www.saidwhat.co.uk/quotes/cel...om_listens_979

etc etc etc

Interesting that nothing can proove that he actually said this. I never thought about to check it out.

Jenny
    I'm bold as love

6. The Following User Says Thank You to boldaslove For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Those sites are just collections of what people enter. Nothing is checked, no citations or references. Just read what you can read, don't believe everything other people tell you what they have read. (And that includes this message from me, of course. )

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jerry1970 View Post
    Those sites are just collections of what people enter. Nothing is checked, no citations or references. Just read what you can read, don't believe everything other people tell you what they have read. (And that includes this message from me, of course. )
    Someone just reposted this bogus quote on Google+ today. I commented about it being bogus. So of course now I'm the bad guy. Same thing happened the other day with the "Love of power/power of love" quote.

Thanks

Such apparently profound quotes are in keeping with Jimi's status as a guitar "god", and as such are often accepted without question by casual fans. They may wish Jimi said these things but of course, in reality he rarely expressed himself as concisely...

Thanks

Article: ''What Hendrix never said''

http://www.rockprophecy.com/hendrix_quotes_hoax.html

Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 570 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron The Bear View Post
    Such apparently profound quotes are in keeping with Jimi's status as a guitar "god", and as such are often accepted without question by casual fans. They may wish Jimi said these things but of course, in reality he rarely expressed himself as concisely...
    Yep! If anything he was a master of obscure statements.

Thanks

Just suffered through Michael Fairchild's rant on this subject. In a nutshell, he believes that Janie is behind these "quotes" and may be profiting from the bumper stickers with Jimi's likeness. He also believes Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles may have had a part in suggesting to Janie & Al that Jimi said these things (but that's purely his speculation.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Stone View Post
    Just suffered through Michael Fairchild's rant on this subject. In a nutshell, he believes that Janie is behind these "quotes" and may be profiting from the bumper stickers with Jimi's likeness. He also believes Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles may have had a part in suggesting to Janie & Al that Jimi said these things (but that's purely his speculation.)
    Where can this rant be found? I'm sure it's an entertaining read! :-) (Watch out, or "Electric Love" will hit you right in the head!) EDIT: SORRY! I missed the link above!

Thanks

"The point of this incident is it highlights how most of those who follow Jimi's music and story don't want to know what he really said and thought, they lack interest in the real Jimi and instead crave a fiction of him."

Oh wow.... And this comes from Michael Fairchild???!!!

Thanks

Apparently there are some websites that offer pre-fab Facebook and Google+ "profile pages" with celebrity quotes. So people grab these profiles and put them on their own FB pages and then someone else sees it and likes it and it spreads like a virus. I "corrected" yet another one of them today before realizing that I am tilting at windmills here. There are literally thousands of Google references misattributing the quotes to Jimi and there's probably nothing any of us can do that will make any difference in the long run. Time to just let it go . . .

Thanks
    Thanked 2,401 Times in 729 Posts

There must be a Hendrix fan at Google and FB headquarters! Let's hope that thousands of them will love his music and join us at CTT!

Thanks

Here is another quote that recently has been increasingly attributed to Hendrix.
    It was originally from William E. Gladstone who was a British Liberal politician and Prime Minister of the UK four times (1868–1874, 1880–1885, 1886 and 1892–1894). He was a notable political reformer, known for his populist speeches, and was for many years the main political rival of Benjamin Disraeli
    The quote appears in The Forbes Book of Business Quotations (1997) edited by Edward C. Goodman and Ted Goodman. 639.
    "We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace."
    --William Gladstone

Carl Jung, seems to have paraphrased Gladstones' quote in his book The Psychology of the Unconscious published in 1943:
    "Where love rules, there is no will to power; and where power predominates, there love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other."
    --Carl Jung

An Indian meditation guru
    called Chinmoy Ghose who set up shop in America in the 1960's repeated it:
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then there will be true peace."
    --Chinmoy Ghose

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mysticbumwipe For This Useful Post: