Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: John McDermott on what's next from the Jimi Hendrix archives

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 469 Posts

Re: John McDermott on what's next from the Jimi Hendrix archives

Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    i never heard him say what even MIGHT be up next tho' it all points to Atlanta :-)
    Lot's of talk about Atlanta but lets be clear Atlanta is a re-release. Yes there EW still several songs that haven't been released as well as the potential for the cool multi-angle options on DVD/Blu Ray similar to Isle of Wight and Monterey. Those would be really cool upgrades. Personally though I would rather get something new such as Dallas (if they have it) or Jan/Feb 69 Euro stuff. The Miami stuff was the last really new release and for me it was over the top both video and audio!

I like the idea of bonus footage as mentioned by some for the shorter stuff too like 4/26/70 or the 1967 BW footage (wherever it is from Hollywood Bowl?). EH has been good at giving us bonuses in the past.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Experiencereunited View Post
    Lot's of talk about Atlanta but lets be clear Atlanta is a re-release. Yes there EW still several songs that haven't been released as well as the potential for the cool multi-angle options on DVD/Blu Ray similar to Isle of Wight and Monterey. Those would be really cool upgrades. Personally though I would rather get something new such as Dallas (if they have it) or Jan/Feb 69 Euro stuff. The Miami stuff was the last really new release and for me it was over the top both video and audio!

I like the idea of bonus footage as mentioned by some for the shorter stuff too like 4/26/70 or the 1967 BW footage (wherever it is from Hollywood Bowl?). EH has been good at giving us bonuses in the past.
    "Re-release"? EH has never released it. The Douglas release is awful. I dont see it as a re-release :P IMO its like a "new" concert when you hear "Stone Free" from the DVD. Great sound and video. Dallas would be great. But the "Jan/Feb 69 Euro stuff" wont be release before they have an agreement with Goldstein?

Thanks

I've just picked up "Stages" 4CD set because I too don't believe EV will release Atlanta soon. I am also much disappointement as it comes for their few latest releases incl. latest Miami 1968. OK, Miami is a very good show as well as some unreleased studio stuff but, to be honest with you all, the last really exciting release for me was "JHE" velvet box set released in 2000. I really cannot understand the politics of HE nowadays. It looks like they're either lacking completely unreleased material (what's almost obviously not true) or, what's much more sure, they're about to release something that is - from commercial point - much more easy to sell. Saying that I am thinking that average listener wont't buy a collection of extraordinary jams or fully restored live show just because of fact "play and skip to another song" syndrome rather than listening the whole album from start to the end. I might be wrong but as a long time collector I do see much increase of disappearing interest in buying original albums (because of online free downloads) and much popularity of lossy audio formats. How much of us have a good hi fi system in our home? How much of us are below 25 age and admiring Hendrix as much as older generation? So, at the very end, I do see EH will release only something that could sell good and matches todays music market's demands. I would be more than happy if Dallas 1970 audio/video will see the day light as a full length album but I would also say that this should be take with a big care of speculation because of facts discussed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zepster For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zepster View Post
    I've just picked up "Stages" 4CD set because I too don't believe EV will release Atlanta soon. I am also much disappointement as it comes for their few latest releases incl. latest Miami 1968. OK, Miami is a very good show as well as some unreleased studio stuff but, to be honest with you all, the last really exciting release for me was "JHE" velvet box set released in 2000. I really cannot understand the politics of HE nowadays. It looks like they're either lacking completely unreleased material (what's almost obviously not true) or, what's much more sure, they're about to release something that is - from commercial point - much more easy to sell. Saying that I am thinking that average listener wont't buy a collection of extraordinary jams or fully restored live show just because of fact "play and skip to another song" syndrome rather than listening the whole album from start to the end. I might be wrong but as a long time collector I do see much increase of disappearing interest in buying original albums (because of online free downloads) and much popularity of lossy audio formats. How much of us have a good hi fi system in our home? How much of us are below 25 age and admiring Hendrix as much as older generation? So, at the very end, I do see EH will release only something that could sell good and matches todays music market's demands. I would be more than happy if Dallas 1970 audio/video will see the day light as a full length album but I would also say that this should be take with a big care of speculation because of facts discussed.
    Yes! The purple box! I agree, that's the last time I was truly excited about a Hendrix release. That was awesome.
    'The very fact you oppose this makes me think I'm onto something'

7. The Following User Says Thank You to outasight For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by purplehazechild View Post
    But the "Jan/Feb 69 Euro stuff" wont be release before they have an agreement with Goldstein?
    In other words: Never! Or, at least not until the copyrights run out and the footage lands in the public domain...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zepster View Post
    How much of us are below 25 age and admiring Hendrix as much as older generation?
    20 and loving it all
    Is the microphone on?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spyder52 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

how long does the copyright last?

Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...yright_lengths

Mostly life+70 years. However, it seems like the movie could be released legally in e.g. Djibouti or Marhall Island.

Thanks

Any ideas what EH will release next?

Thanks

More Curtis Knight sessions is my guess. I Can't wait to hear Eddie's mix of "Driving South".

Thanks
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,017 Posts

Just a wild guess but maybe an Atlanta DVD / BR?
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

Thanks
    Thanked 2,833 Times in 855 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by susep73 View Post
    Any ideas what EH will release next?
    Well...we know that the 'Curtis Knight' stuff was going to be spread out over a 3 year span...we already got earlier studio one...next would be the 'live' stuff...then the later studio one. Spring 2016 should be the 'live' LP....as far as what actual JHE release next fall is anybody's guess...I've not even read any rumors....unless that guy gets his AH movie shown all over the world on IMAX screens so he can rest in peace that he finally saw his 'vision' materialized I thought he got the extra year or more so he could find 'investors'...'cause he doesn't want to foot the bill for his 'vision' himself...the Sony deal for a 6 theater release just 'don't fit the bill' with his 'vision'.
    Last edited by J.Lucas; 09-02-15 at 06:37 PM.

Thanks

Is there any reason these guys can't do more than two audio releases per year? The first CD/LP of Curtis Knight material was better than I expected, but I hate that I might have to wait a full year for another "live treat". Bring on a BOG set from the multi-tracks!!!!! I know, I'm greedy !

Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 600 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Kush View Post
    More Curtis Knight sessions is my guess. I Can't wait to hear Eddie's mix of "Driving South".
    Not to be pedantic, but that's not a multitrack recording, ie cannot be remixed. But it would great to have it from the original tape, if that still exists...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhmason View Post
    Bring on a BOG set from the multi-tracks!!!!!
    agreed!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhmason View Post
    Is there any reason these guys can't do more than two audio releases per year? The first CD/LP of Curtis Knight material was better than I expected, but I hate that I might have to wait a full year for another "live treat". Bring on a BOG set from the multi-tracks!!!!! I know, I'm greedy !
    Although most people here would love the four shows to be released in full, I would be happy to see the first show to be released complete on one disc.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paul387 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 574 Posts

I'd like to see another set of studio jams on Dagger Records please (and I don't mean the PPX 1967 Studio 76 confetti!).

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to purple jim For This Useful Post:

Thanks

A double album with the first set of Berkeley would be great, it was recorded in multitrack and sounds great

Thanks

We're all waiting for RAH, and whatever else they have. But right now we're getting Atlanta, which is nice, the film still looks pretty good and the audio is much improved even if Jimi wasn't really 'on' that night. Sometime soon I would also love to hear the first BOG's show with some nice packaging. But Lord please, no more documentaries! For some reason EH thinks Atlanta needs to be presented as a documentary and really all they needed to do was give us the concert with interviews in the bonus section.
    'The very fact you oppose this makes me think I'm onto something'

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to outasight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,017 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by outasight View Post
    We're all waiting for RAH, and whatever else they have. But right now we're getting Atlanta, which is nice, the film still looks pretty good and the audio is much improved even if Jimi wasn't really 'on' that night. Sometime soon I would also love to hear the first BOG's show with some nice packaging. But Lord please, no more documentaries! For some reason EH thinks Atlanta needs to be presented as a documentary and really all they needed to do was give us the concert with interviews in the bonus section.
    All I see here is a company maxing out its product, I can live with any amount of documentaries as long as we get the "real" deal attached :-)
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post: