Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound Track recordings From The Film Jimi Hendrix

Thanks

Sound Track recordings From The Film Jimi Hendrix

There are finally seeders for the flac torrent of the 1973 double LP vinyl rip of "Sound Track Recordings From The Film Jimi Hendrix" available on Pirate Bay.

It appears since October 2008 there were no seeds. I tried unsuccessfully for months to get a complete download. Last night 2 seeds showed up and I nabbed it. There are no artwork scans included but the audio fidelity is nice. It's out of print, unreleased on CD. It's nice to be reunited with something from my vinyl days.

Nonhuman

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nonhuman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Sound Track recordings From The Film Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Nonhuman View Post
    There are finally seeders for the flac torrent of the 1973 double LP vinyl rip of "Sound Track Recordings From The Film Jimi Hendrix" available on Pirate Bay.

It appears since October 2008 there were no seeds. I tried unsuccessfully for months to get a complete download. Last night 2 seeds showed up and I nabbed it. There are no artwork scans included but the audio fidelity is nice. It's out of print, unreleased on CD. It's nice to be reunited with something from my vinyl days.

Nonhuman
    This set has my favourite ever version of Purple Haze...........The only place apart from the Berkley Video/DVD that it is available......Thanks for the heads up .........I'm grabbing just that 1 track.

Thanks

Thanks for the link.
    However, I download some tracks and they seem to be in mono. I'm sure the album is in stereo so I can't say what was actually done with the files or what/who transferred the stereo files into mono.
    I noticed quite a few strange noises as well. In any case, it would be nice to have a better transfer of this otherwise great vinyl set.
    Last edited by Makkinen; 06-25-09 at 08:29 AM.

Thanks

I think possibly it's a mixing/mastering of the source material for the vinyl release that's narrowed the soundscape. On Wild Thing the percussion is very much forward. On Machine Gun the radio bleedthrough seems overtly accentuated. I remember I appreciated this vinyl set more for its certain sound rather than for the track selections.

I suspect there was so much equalization applied to accomodate the vinyl format that the production tape if slicked straight into digital instead of vinyl might sound entirely unacceptable to me. The Johnny B Goode track in particular seems highly compressed, and I would always crank it to wring some life from it. On Hey Joe, there seems to be a softness to the vocals and throat of the guitar distortion that I always appreciated across vacuum tubes back in my vinyl days. Perhaps these asthetics are so highly subjective as to be of utility to me only. But that's music, a groove and a blind-eye sometimes. Vinyl was a bit of a monster, it spoke differently through all of my various systems, and was inherently inadequate for my needs. The ultimate marriage of digital to vacuum tubes set me free. Now it's all about the music.

I would love to have another transfer of this vinyl set to hear what might be hiding in those grooves, as long as zero equalization is applied in the process. I think of equalization as Fripp did of Mellotrons. "Tuning a Mellotron doesn't."

Thanks

Now I remember that I've made the transfer long ago and have it somewhere. I'm leaving for holidays on Monday. If I find the time I'll torrent it and post the link here.
    Mods might answer if it would be possible to post it here. There's many (all of them?) official tracks on it, but it's an old vinyl (movie was released in 1973) and long OOP so maybe they can allow it?
    Let me know, please.

Thanks

Just found one more version of this album's transfer.
    It appears to be the ORIGINAL version of the transfer available currently on Pirate Bay.
    The clicks and edits are the same but it seems that someone edited the original version using only one channel of the transfer and normalized or
    cut the overall volume a little (the origianl version is clipping a little).
    To make it short, I'll post another, much better transfer and include samples of the current Pirate Bay version as well as the version I think it was edited from.
    See you soon. guys.
    P.S. Mods, please let me know if I can post it all here.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Makkinen; 09-19-09 at 01:20 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Makkinen View Post
    Just found one more version of this album's transfer.
    It appears to be the ORIGINAL version of the transfer available currently on Pirate Bay.
    The clicks and edits are the same but it seems that someone edited the original version using only one channel of the transfer and normalized or
    cut the overall volume a little (the origianl version is clipping a little).
    To make it short, I'll post another, much better transfer and include samples of the current Pirate Bay version as well as the version I think it was edited from.
    See you soon. guys.
    P.S. Mods, please let me know if I can post all it here.
    Thanks.
    I hope my excitement will be rewarded. Are you stating that you have a completely different transfer, constructed by yourself from your vinyl, exclusively independent from the pirate bay sources? Or are you bringing forth yet another unverifiable set of files of indeterminate lineage?

Without an uncompromised and verifiable environment of file origination, the utility of objective comparison of files is negated. I'll enjoy any transfer available, but the need for a verified transfer will still exist. I hope you are the man for the job!

By the way the Film Jimi Hendrix was released on DVD in 2005. I haven't viewed it yet, however I have it in AVI format. I don't know how close the soundtrack vinyl resembled the original VHS or the subsequent DVD track listing. Unfortunately a "friend" never returned my VHS version some 20 years ago. As far as getting posted on CTT, I avoid downloading anything that contains ommissions from original setlists.

If you can provide a vinyl transfer created by yourself, I'd be inclined to throw out any unverified files I now have, and never revisit them. When I downloaded the files I have now, I wondered if someone had extracted the DVD audio to construct it. The absence of the album artwork has always seemed suspicious given the fact that the uploader cared enough to use FLAC format. All in all, I can't see why a proper vinyl transfer of this album is elusive. Didn't anyone else like it?

Good luck on this adventure, and thank you very much for your interest in it.

Nonhuman
    Last edited by Nonhuman; 06-27-09 at 07:48 AM.

Thanks

By the way, while seeding this set I've encountered a peer connection that is using enhancedtorrent client software that continuously uploads while maintaining a zero percent accumulation. Enhancedtorrent is able to continuously request a single packet and sustain a connection to eat up bandwidth. Perhaps someone definitely does not want this set made available?

Nonhuman

Thanks

Yes, I'll upload completely different transfer done by a friend of mine (verified.
    Regarding the DVD of the movie. It's out since the late 90s. The 2005 is just a repack. In fact there are two repacks. The original one and the other with some bonus tracks (Machine Gun from Fillmore B&W video and possible something else).
    Regarding someone not wanting this set being shared, my comment is:
    It's not me!
    :-))
    Last edited by Makkinen; 06-27-09 at 08:28 AM.

Thanks

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Nonhuman

Thanks

New transfer of the Sound Track Recordings from the Film Jimi Hendrix:
    posted here:
    http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4980207

Hurry up because original seeder will be there only for a very short time.
    Download and help seed.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Makkinen For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Makkinen View Post
    New transfer of the Sound Track Recordings from the Film Jimi Hendrix:
    posted here:
    http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4980207

Hurry up because original seeder will be there only for a very short time.
    Download and help seed.
    I got seeders through DHT! Thank you!

Nonhuman
    Last edited by Nonhuman; 06-29-09 at 07:32 AM.

Thanks

I don't know why you're getting it only through DHT but the Pirate Bay's tracker is working fine. In any case, there's no ratio politics there so it's actually irrelevant. You could be getting it through ... ahmm ... you know ... anything ... it would still be fine ... lol!
    :-))

Thanks

I'm sure it will be very fine. I was just a bit worried when I qued up the download and no seeders showed up immediately on the bay tracker. It's nice to see Emilovious included some annotation regarding the track venues. Thank you both very much!

Nonhuman

Thanks

I`m Seeding and will do `till no-one else wants it [or my PC refuses to connect] I`m at 2.5 at the moment, just wish it was CTT, still rules is rules

Thanks

Thank you again for the new Sound Track recordings torrent on PB. It has been popular, I've seeded more than 7.0 ratio so far.

There is a great disparity in sound between the previous transfer and Emilovious transfer. The gain is higher on the previous transfer which provides more bass with my default flat tone settings, and so I'm going to keep both transfers for my own use. However I will seed only the Emilovious transfer. The artwork is delightful and the commentary is very much appreciated. The attention to detail in this transfer defines the difference between hobby and craft. I especially appreciate the absence of additional equalization. The inherent characteristics of vinyl and user selection of analog equipment has always been complicated and subjective enough for my ears.

I'm not much of a fan of tone controls at any stage of reproduction. Only in pursuit of faithful bass reproduction am I compelled to react to the gross neglect of "professional" music industry mastering of recordings for release. I remember Jimi Hendrix remarking how his engineer was using some bass recording enhancement technique so that it would sound good even if you had a transistor radio. I think those decisions were tragic. Unfortunately even present day recordings reveal the bass material to be the most abused and sacrificed element of professional releases. Some call it culture, such as is evident today from the "boom boom" Hondas spewing muzak where nobody else wants it. Today there exists a "volume war" staged by music industry marketing execs with an aversion to principle in faithful recording, resulting in an absence of dynamic range despite the commonplace availability of technology capable of faithful reproduction. It reminds me of Zappa's lyrics to "Dumb All Over", because that mess is more than "a little ugly on the side". Again I think those decisions are tragic.

The Emilovious transfer reveals a more fluid bass guitar which is greatly appreciated. My powered subwoofer crossover is set about 30HZ and there is very little to be amplified at or below that frequency. In my vinyl days I used to run a DBX 110 subharmonic synthesizer to recreate the lowest bass frequencies that are often filtered out during mastering. This set reminds me that there may be a time when I may wish to introduce DBX technology into my system for vinyl transfers. Judging by the quality and fluidity of the bass material extracted by this analog stylus/tonearm system, there would have been very nice lower bass material present in the original performance which could be recreated by a DBX subharmonic synthesizer.

It's wonderful to have this vinyl memorial resurrected, thank you kindly. Wishing everyone a very nice day.

Nonhuman

Thanks

wow, I just bought this double vinyl on ebay
    received it in the mail a couple days ago
    it sounds so amazing. I was gonna rip it but it looks like someone beat me to it.
    if you haven't heard it yet you will be very pleased.
    some of the tracks sound better than they do on other releases.
    I think the IOW machine gun
    and a lot of the other stuff
    sound better than they do anywhere else
    but that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by rocknroll; 10-16-09 at 01:43 AM.

Thanks

my vinyl copy is very clean
    and I have a nice new ion USB turntable
    which does great transfers.
    I'll probably do my own rip soon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
    my vinyl copy is very clean
    and I have a nice new ion USB turntable
    which does great transfers.
    I'll probably do my own rip soon.
    So how is that transfer coming? He asks with a chin rubbing motion that conveys deep thoughts and also wondering where the bathroom is right now which is alluring in some phenomenal way.

Yes I am that weird.

Thanks

Another rip? Yes, please! I would very much like that.