Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1967-12-22 Christmas On Earth Continued - composite

Thanks
    Thanked 4,032 Times in 346 Posts

1967-12-22 Christmas On Earth Continued - composite

1967-12-22 Christmas On Earth Continued

This is a composite of all the JHE footage that has turned up from this show.
    It contains silent backstage footage, a rough sync to 'IDLT', Sgt Peppers, Foxy Lady and Wild Thing, and those very short snippets of Jimi playing the Flying V.

It runs for almost 14 minutes and is in DVD format (NTSC)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 96 Posts

Re: 1967-12-22 Christmas On Earth Continued - composite

hooray...thanks mate!

Thanks

Nice ~ thanks johanincr!

Thanks

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks

Been waiting for something like this, Thanks a bunch Johanincr, You are The Man as far as Jimi is concerned [Plus everyone else at CTT]..if you know what I mean

Thanks

Thanks Johan for putting this together !

Thanks
    Thanked 4,032 Times in 346 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bolexje View Post
    Thanks Johan for putting this together !
    i didnt put it together, merely passing it on!

does anyone know the story behind the overdubbed vocals on Foxy Lady?

Thanks

After watching this I was reminded what an Amazing showman Jimi was. It`s easy to forget, with time, that all these tapes and files we listen to these days was only half the story, To see, as I did, Jimi tuning his guitar mid-song [without missing a beat] was truly awesome. I need to see more Film clips! I sometimes wonder if Janie really knows how happy we would be if she opened up the archives? GOD, I MISS HIM!

Thanks

Thanks!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johanincr View Post
    i didnt put it together, merely passing it on!

does anyone know the story behind the overdubbed vocals on Foxy Lady?
    I wish I knew. This footage is a bit of a mystery. The idea of a pro shot Red House from '67 is mouth watering.

What software do I need to play this back?

Thanks

Hey Cris M
    The VLC media player,which can be downloaded for free,and can easily be found on google,plays this great footage perfectly.

Succes
    Thunderbaas

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbaas View Post
    Hey Cris M
    The VLC media player,which can be downloaded for free,and can easily be found on google,plays this great footage perfectly.

Succes
    Thunderbaas
    Thanks for that. Just watched it. Anyone know where the footage shot from just behind Jimi is from? Is it the Watch Out For Your Ears film? Odd that Island Records is thanked during the credits. I also saw Tommy Weber listed. Is that the guy that said he used to "shoot LSD" with Jimi on the PBS doc from 8 or 9 years ago?

EDIT: Apparently former Rolling Stone editor Robert Greenfield wrote a book about Tommy Weber. Here is an article that mentions Weber tried to make a film about Jimi but lost the footage..

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...17daylife.html
    Last edited by Chris M; 07-06-09 at 06:35 PM.

Thanks

Hey Cris M.
    Good to hear you found the VLC player,it also sounds better than the WindowsMediaPlayer.The guy that wrote the revieuw about the book mentioned.Is Charles R. Cross.He also wrote a Hendrix Biography called "Room full of Mirrors".Now I don't know if you live in Holland,but if you do,you can buy the book for 5 Euro at "De Slegte" which has bookshops in most major dutch cities. A tip to all other dutch CTTers too!!!

All the best,
    Thunderbaas.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbaas View Post
    Hey Cris M.
    Good to hear you found the VLC player,it also sounds better than the WindowsMediaPlayer.The guy that wrote the revieuw about the book mentioned.Is Charles R. Cross.He also wrote a Hendrix Biography called "Room full of Mirrors".Now I don't know if you live in Holland,but if you do,you can buy the book for 5 Euro at "De Slegte" which has bookshops in most major dutch cities. A tip to all other dutch CTTers too!!!

All the best,
    Thunderbaas.
    Oh yeah, I know who Cross is. I think he did a good job on the Jimi bio, much less so on his Cobain bio. I'll buy the book and report back if it has any info on the Xmas footage.

Thanks

What is the "continued" part in the title, by the way?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jerry1970 View Post
    What is the "continued" part in the title, by the way?
    That was just what the event was called. Lots of the 1966/67 'happpenings' in the UK had strange (but way cool) names like the "14 Hour Technicolor Dream", etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,098 Times in 1,698 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Oh yeah, I know who Cross is. I think he did a good job on the Jimi bio, much less so on his Cobain bio. I'll buy the book and report back if it has any info on the Xmas footage.
    Room Full of Mirrors - Lots of excellent stuff but marred by equal amounts of un-substantiated bull or worse. Keep a large jar of salt handy when reading and ask questions. Carmen Goudy?? A tale of going to see Little Richard - when he was actually in retirement as an evangelist at the time? The fake homosexual story? etc.
    Last edited by stplsd; 07-08-09 at 02:06 AM.

Thanks

Found this via google. Might explain the title of the concert.

"Barbara Rubin's 29-minute Christmas on Earth is the filmic record of an orgy staged in a New York City apartment in 1963. This double projection of overlapping images of nude men and women clowning around and making love is one of the first sexually explicit works produced by the American postwar avant-garde. Today Christmas on Earth generates a small but passionate discourse in avant-garde film circles. (1) Many consider it to be an essential document of queer and feminist cinema, (2) though others dismiss it as the worthless effort of a naive amateur. (3) It is still largely unknown to art history. Christmas on Earth in fact deserves to be located within a larger esthetic discourse on contemporary art forms such as Happenings, expanded cinema and installation. Rubin "was one of the first people to get multimedia interest going around New York," Andy Warhol said. (4) Further, Rubin's filmmaking practices were a type of performance and sexual agitprop that foreshadowed the emergence of critical body art at the end of the 1960s. An investigation into the little-known history of Barbara Rubin and her singular work Christmas on Earth deepens our understanding of a period when artists pushed self-determined and guiltless sexuality into the public sphere to catalyze social revolution.
    Until now, little has been published about her life and work. (5) Her whirlwind of activity in the United States and Europe between 1963 and 1968 is scantily documented and is leavened with well-varnished adoration, myth, secrecy and antipathy. Much of what is known about Rubin derives from publications by and about her friends and collaborators Allen Ginsberg, Bob Dylan, Jonas Mekas, Andy Warhol and the Velvet Underground. This article introduces new biographical information from a variety of sources, including interviews by the author, as well as unpublished interviews, memoirs and other ephemera assembled by Mekas for his long-planned issue of Film Culture dedicated to Rubin, and Rubin's letters and scripts located in the Allen Ginsberg Papers at Stanford University. Rubin's oeuvre is tiny: her collection at Anthology Film Archives includes only Christmas on Earth, two 3-minute untitled rolls, and the rarely seen final, 18-minute work, Emouna (the title is Hebrew for faith). The latter film reportedly combines Rubin's 1965 footage of Allen Ginsberg in London, file footage of concentration camps, and new color film shot by students at City College. Rubin crafted a separate reel-to-reel soundtrack of pop music and Ginsberg reading his poem "Kaddish." (6) Rubin's footage of famous mid-'60s visitors to the Factory, such as Donovan and Dylan, is incorporated in Gerard Malanga's Film Notebooks, a 27-minute piece that premiered at the Vienna International Film Festival this October (Malanga gives Rubin co-cinematographer credit). Other works that Rubin shot while in Warhol's circle, called the "Up-Tight" series, are in the Museum of Modern Art's Warhol film collection, but are unrestored and in a cold storage facility, where no one can see them. (7) Additional works may exist but have not so far been located. (8) Rubin's reputation, such as it is, rests on the competing memory of her groundbreaking film and her eccentric persona as a wildly dressed visionary, agitator, organizer and groupie."

However i believe a more important question re Christmas on Earth Continued is did whoever film Jimi also film Laughing Syd Barrett and Pink Floyd's set ? If so, where is it ? I believe a split second or two appears in a Joe Cocker video but you can never have too much of Syd's floyd and a split second or two is not really enough (even if they sucked that night!)

Thanks

Here's a bit more about Rubin

" Rubin's creativity and aggression brought her in contact with many of the key counter-cultural figures of the 1960s. She became an indispensable right hand to Mekas, helping to set up screenings around the country and in Europe. In a thwarted attempt to show Jack Smith's banned Flaming Creatures at the Third International Experimental Film Exposition in Knokke-Le-Zoute, Belgium, in December 1963, Mekas, Rubin and film critic P. Adams Sitney occupied the projection booth. She sought out the greatest talents of her generation, befriending Allen Ginsberg and Bob Dylan. (11) She traveled to London in June 1965 to help organize the landmark International Poetry Reading with Ginsberg at the Royal Albert Hall. In the art world, Rubin is perhaps best known for first bringing Warhol to hear the Velvet Underground at Cafe Bizarre in Greenwich Village in December 1965. A few months later Rubin helped organize "Up-Tight," the first Warhol and Velvet Underground evenings of abrasive music, strobe lights, lewd dancing and film projections (including Rubin's own), at the Film-Makers' Cinematheque in February 1966. The ensemble was later dubbed the Exploding Plastic Inevitable, and Rubin and her camera joined them on a legendary road trip in March. Because of the omnipresence of photographers, reporters and hangers-on, Rubin's role at Warhol's first Factory was her most documented period. (12) Rubin was one of the few people Warhol would listen to with rapt attention, according to Malanga, his former assistant and collaborator."

Thanks

Really nice - thank you very much.