Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyrics questions

Thanks

Lyrics questions

Who is the electric lady Hendrix is talking about in the album second track? He said in a interview it was about groupie(s), but could it be about guitar? Or something else?

It's very often said that his mother was the woman of "Gypsy Eyes". Is that really sure? Did Hendrix mentioned that in a interview (I don't remember anyone)?

Thanks for the answers!

Thanks

Re: Lyrics questions

Anyone?

Jimi_Uchihaeyez Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ayler View Post
    Who is the electric lady Hendrix is talking about in the album second track? He said in a interview it was about groupie(s), but could it be about guitar? Or something else?
    It was probably about groupies like said in that interview. I can't think of anything else. Electric Lady could be reffering to one groupie in particular though.

It's very often said that his mother was the woman of "Gypsy Eyes". Is that really sure? Did Hendrix mentioned that in a interview (I don't remember anyone)?
    I've always thought it was that. Maybe stplsd can find a interview that says different.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,464 Posts

I've never heard of an interview where Jimi discusses who the "Woman" was in either of these songs, or any song for that matter [any info to the contrary, very welcome]. It's really up to the (informed?) listener. From it's context "Electric woman" appears to me to be clearly generic (ie in the plural, the type of women who inhabit "Electric-Lady Land" [ie "groupies" - whatever that means? - a stupid, pejorative word - Jimi's "band-aids" is far better, if you must]) not about a specific woman.
    As to "Gypsy Eyes" it very much appears to be written from a child's point of view: "Oh, little boy, you know I could love you, but first..." and: "sitting up in my tree beside my fire", and given Jimi & his mother's relationship and history it can be seen as being semi-autobiographical. Although, as Jimi himself mentions, his songs can each address more than one subject at at a time.

For instance Jimi mentioned that 'Machine Gun' is about both personal relationships, (Devon esp.?) and about war, (a listen to the lyrics supports this) which most writers [conveniently/ignorantly?] overlook.
    Last edited by stplsd; 10-09-09 at 10:27 AM.

Thanks

I thought I remember reading somewhere that Gypsy Eyes was about Kathy Etchingham?

Thanks

Since we're on the topic of lyric questions:

She drew her wheelchair to the edge of the shore
    And to her legs she smiled you wont hurt me no more
    But then a sight shed never seen made her jump and say
    Look a golden winged ship is passing my way

And it really didnt have to stop, it just kept on going...
    I've always wondered about the last two lines. What happened? What do they signify?

Thanks

Since the other two verses are autobiographical, I'd like to think it's about Jimi... He just saw this earth, could have gone somewhere else but decided to stop here for a while...

Patrick

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricWing View Post
    Since we're on the topic of lyric questions:

I've always wondered about the last two lines. What happened? What do they signify?
    The girl who couldn't speak a sound and couldn't walk on seeing the spaceship jumped up and spoke, ie was cured, so it doesn't really matter that it didn't stop as the sight of it was enough to cure her, and her plan to throw herself of the cliff was thwarted - a happy outcome, unlike the previous two who's plans didn't work out and had unhappy endings.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,046 Times in 828 Posts

Well, not neccesarily a spaceship (true spaceship has no need of wings), a 'golden winged ship' - one can interpret it to be a fanastic sea vessel, perhaps with golden sails giving the appearance of 'wings'. However, with so much fantasy-themes involved a spaceship is ok. Jimi's lyrics are often such that everybody can 'visualize' their own interpretation and remain valid. (Which is why I always am curious why people would ask for an interpretation of Jimi's written works. Like his music, the lyrics also are subject to individual absorption)

"Watch Out For Your Ears!"

"We don't want to be classed in any category" - HENDRIX

“If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

Thanks

I read somewhere ( maybe a Tony Brown book) that the last verse in "Castles made of sand" relate to Jimi's sister Pamela who was born with a physical disability and was wheelchair bound, Will find further info when I dig the book out

Thanks

I think in most of his songs, Jimi used the main women in his life as his muse. Example:

Little wing and Dolly Dagger were about Devon

Wind cries mary and Gypsy Eyes were about Kathy

Castles made of sand and Angel were about his mom

Thanks
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 540 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bogey_j View Post
    I think in most of his songs, Jimi used the main women in his life as his muse. Example:

Little wing and Dolly Dagger were about Devon

Wind cries mary and Gypsy Eyes were about Kathy

Castles made of sand and Angel were about his mom
    Where did you read that LW is about Devon?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dino77 View Post
    Where did you read that LW is about Devon?
    http://books.google.ca/books?id=0UU2...20wing&f=false

there's also another book that says little wing was really for devon, but I cant remember it right now

Thanks

http://books.google.ca/books?id=0UU2...20wing&f=false

there's also another book that says little wing was really for devon, but I cant remember it right now
    According to Jimi it was his feeling about Monterey, summed up in the shape of a girl.

Hopkins book is full of other dodgy nonsense as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MourningStar View Post
    Well, not neccesarily a spaceship (true spaceship has no need of wings), a 'golden winged ship' - one can interpret it to be a fanastic sea vessel, perhaps with golden sails giving the appearance of 'wings'. However, with so much fantasy-themes involved a spaceship is ok. Jimi's lyrics are often such that everybody can 'visualize' their own interpretation and remain valid. (Which is why I always am curious why people would ask for an interpretation of Jimi's written works. Like his music, the lyrics also are subject to individual absorption)
    Whatever the form her "ship" vision/siting took is really immaterial, Electricwing was asking about the last two lines relevance. Have you got a better/different interpretation? Why not share your's with us?;-)

As for the form of the vision/siting, maybe it was a flying oil-tanker with giant bird's wings ;-). It would need to be something pretty startling to effect a "miracle cure". Since we have no reliable evidence of any actual "spaceships" or of the science that would involve it could be any shape you like, they are frequently pictured in old fantasy mags etc. as round with swept back rounded "wings" ending in long trailing points, or "saucers" with a prominent disc running around them, which "poetically" can be seen as "wings"

Or maybe it was just a ship sailing by with yellow sails?

And then there's his "giant boat from space" in House Burning Down,
    Last edited by stplsd; 10-11-09 at 05:39 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    According to Jimi it was his feeling about Monterey, summed up in the shape of a girl.

Hopkins book is full of other dodgy nonsense as well.
    yeah i know Jimi said that, but back in those days it wasnt hip to say a song was written for a particular person (be it a wife, girlfriend, whatever). Songwriters like to leave that stuff open for the public to interpret. The reason why he didnt divulge to the public that he was dating Kathy or Devon was to protect his image as a ladiesman.

But i'm not claiming to know anything for sure. The only person who knows fully what his songs were about was Jimi.

Thanks

But i'm not claiming to know anything for sure. The only person who knows fully what his songs were about was Jimi.
    With all that's been written, I think it's a pretty sure bet that Dolly is about Devon though?
    There's also a song called Power of God [aka 'Power of Soul' it would appear from the context with the other songs on the list] - has "love to Devon" written next to it on his "list of songs to try in studio"
    And then there's 'Crash Landing' fairly obviously about Devon's shooting up?

It's still nice to interpret Jimi's work as we do with any other lyricist or poet?
    But just to assert something without any qualification as Hopkins does is pointless.

The reason why he didnt divulge to the public that he was dating Kathy or Devon was to protect his image as a ladiesman.
    Well, he did do a photo article with and about Kathy ("my Yoko Ono from Chester") in a mass circulation British daily in January 69.
    Last edited by stplsd; 10-11-09 at 05:46 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by norocker View Post
    I thought I remember reading somewhere that Gypsy Eyes was about Kathy Etchingham?
    You probably did, it's a quote from Kathy, surprise. Definately unlikely, as it would be very difficult to interpret the lyrics as being in any way about Kathy.

I find her story about Wind Cries Mary quite convincing though.
    Last edited by stplsd; 10-11-09 at 05:59 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,046 Times in 828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    ...Have you got a better/different interpretation? Why not share your's with us...
    I don't trip on the lyrics and typically just take them literally. Therefore, my 'interpretation' is exactly how the lyrics read.

"Watch Out For Your Ears!"

"We don't want to be classed in any category" - HENDRIX

“If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MourningStar View Post
    I don't trip on the lyrics and typically just take them literally. Therefore, my 'interpretation' is exactly how the lyrics read.
    Exactly how they read 'literally' to your interpretation in other words, no?

eg "one can interpret it to be a fanastic sea vessel, perhaps with golden sails giving the appearance of 'wings'"
    Last edited by stplsd; 10-12-09 at 02:29 PM.