Thread: So how many guitarist frequent this site?

Thanks

So how many guitarist frequent this site?

I'd love to chat about guitars, amps, pedals etc.
    'The very fact you oppose this makes me think I'm onto something'

Thanks

Re: So how many guitarist frequent this site?

Hey dude, I don't peruse the forums that much so i just saw yr post. I play guitar but i'm not much of a gearhead. I've got a circa 1990 fender "60s reissue" strat (no jumbo frets) and a sweet telecaster plus which I don't like to play (too bright). I'd like to dump them both and get one guitar that I really enjoy playing but haven't made the time or money yet.
    I've listened to Hendrix since I heard the Douglas "Kiss the sky" comp played in its entirety on the radio around 84 or so. However I've never tried to cop his style since he's so unique. As far as pedals I haven't fooled w/them much in forever, mostly when I was in my teens. All I have now is a cheap wah-wah which nevertheless has some fantastic controls built into it. Not sure of the brand. Vox 4watt tube amp & that's about it!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to skizzle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

CTT being a Hendrix site, iíll tie this in right away. along about 1972 i bought a used Uni-Vibe from a pro bassist for about $90.00. i had been totally astounded by Jimiís Uni-Vibe sound at Woodstock, L.A. Forum 70 and Maui 70. i bought a used í72 Fender Strat in the Fall of 1975 for $350.00 (which i just sold). in the 80ís i bought an original Vox V846 Wah from a buddy for $100.00. i found a beat up late 70ís Fender Bassman Ten (50w 4x10") that i would run top end (full open) through my two 12Ē Celestion 30ís in my home built ported long throw enclosures. that rig used to scream bloody murder. in 1987 i bought a new Crest Audio (Dallas Arbiter) Fuzz Face (Silicon BC109C) which was a little too bright so i had it modded by a pro tech who is also a Hendrix fan(atic)! for a while i used my cousinís Marshall (100w) half stack. i loved the tone but it was always too loud.

the fact that my aging back no longer tolerates lugging around heavy equipment induced me to get a new 3 way Carvin MB12 (class D power) micro amp that has a folded/down firing 12Ē woofer, 6.5 mid-range and titanium tweeter with fantastic EQ and sound shaping capabilities. last week i got a Squier Deluxe Strat and i have a three year old Squier VM P-Bass also. next i need a small tube amp that i can run through the MB12 to get old school tube distortion (the best sound, imho).

I have always loved playing Hendrix tunes. as a kid i used to cop his licks and basically thatís the vocabulary i grew up with. it was always a revelation to learn how he did what. but right away, when it came to playing lead, i just made up whatever i could throw together on the spot. you would never, ever catch me copying his licks during a gig or a jam. nobody wants to hear that crap man. Jimi already played it better than is humanly possible!

gear
    http://tinyurl.com/kla4um3

5. The Following User Says Thank You to woof For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Cool guys.

I've always been a Strat man myself, up until the last few years however, I did buy a couple of Les Pauls. I would love to get a good Flying V, but I haven't found one I like yet.

Amps have always been Fender, but I did once own a nice Dean Markley that was very Marshall sounding and super tonefull. I use a Fender Princeton for almost everything these days. What a wonderful little amp!

For pedals, I have so many I lost track! So many over drives, distortion and Fuzzes! Right now I go through a MXR comp into a OCD, into a Boss Super Overdrive, into Dunlop Cry Baby ( yes, after the dirt pedals!), and finally into a new TC Elecronic Flash Back delay (awesome delay pedal!) and into the amp. I do own a cheap Octavia that I will use sometimes.

I started playing at age 11, over 20 years ago now. I saw Stevie Ray Vaughn playing on Austin City Limits and that was enough for me! I discovered Hendrix music a few years later in earnest, and that changed my style immensely. I love to jamm on 'Jimi Riffs' all day long, but I try to play them all my own way and I love to improvise and make up my own stuff.

Nowadays I just play and record for my own pleasure, and my younger son has become interested in playing, so I've been teaching him a lot lately. And I will occasionally play out on open jamm nights, but I'm not interested in being in a band again, for now.

My next project is to get some stuff on YouTube. I just picked up a HD video camera, so I'm working on that.
    'The very fact you oppose this makes me think I'm onto something'

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to outasight For This Useful Post: