Thread: JOE SATRIANI DISCUSSES HIS NEW ALBUM & JIMI HENDRIX’S INFLUENCE ON HIS GUITAR PLAYING

Thanks
    Thanked 1,868 Times in 247 Posts

JOE SATRIANI DISCUSSES HIS NEW ALBUM & JIMI HENDRIX’S INFLUENCE ON HIS GUITAR PLAYING

http://www.songfacts.com/blog/interviews/joe_satriani/

Songfacts: How much of an influence would you say Jimi Hendrix is still on your playing, and can you think of some songs that were directly influenced by Hendrix?

Satriani: Oh, so much. The thing that I really constantly remember from Jimi’s playing was he had a way of being different song to song. He just would not hit you over the head with this same guitar sound, over and over again. He would have something different. And then his playing would be different. Like on one song, he could play fast and fluid, and then on the next, it sounded like he was struggling to play slow. And one song, his guitar would be spacey, and the other song it would be clear and played right in your face with nothing special added to it. And I loved that. Just being a fan of putting on a record and listening to it all the way through, by the time you got to the end, you’d go, “Wow. I’ve got to hear that again. That had so many different sides to it.” And what you were really hearing was all the different sides of his musicianship.

I constantly remind myself that it’s OK in this day and age where people really do like to homogenize and compact and promote one idea and hit you over the head with it, Jimi’s era really allowed for him to be much more creative with a guitar. And I’m using “the same one” – I’ve got the same six strings on it, and there’s no reason to do the same thing over and over again.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to okla70homa For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: JOE SATRIANI DISCUSSES HIS NEW ALBUM & JIMI HENDRIX’S INFLUENCE ON HIS GUITAR PLA

Satch is just great. He knows to leave the dirt in his playing and understands why Jimi was so great.
    'The very fact you oppose this makes me think I'm onto something'

4. The Following User Says Thank You to outasight For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: JOE SATRIANI DISCUSSES HIS NEW ALBUM & JIMI HENDRIX’S INFLUENCE ON HIS GUITAR PLA

I prefer Vai. But Joe's first three albums are all classics.