Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Jimi Hendrix: Electric Church - DVD/Blu-Ray

Thanks
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,017 Posts

Re: Jimi Hendrix: Electric Church - DVD/Blu-Ray

If I apply your thinking here MF then I get to ban a lot of members from posting!!!

I think if EH just interview the folk who were around when Jimi was alive then were gonna run out fairly soon, old farts don’t live forever :-)
    I have no issue with any professional musician talking about Hendrix and influence.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I think that apart from the double exposed parts the mixing of the angles on the old release of Stone Free and Star Spankled Banner has a better flow on the old Douglas version.

https://vimeo.com/137188430

He also seems to better make up for missing footage at the end of Stone Free. However the new one seems to incorporate what may be the french footage as you can see two clips that has different coloration and the angle seems to fit the camera position as well.

Mcdermotts visual skills seems some what limited as a director.

Are some of the Miami clips new?

Thanks

http://www.large.nl/jimi-hendrix-ele...ay/art_320884/

Tracklist - Electric church

• 1.Fire
    • 2.Lover Man
    • 3.Spanish Castle Magic
    • 4.Red House
    • 5.Room Full Of Mirrors
    • 6.Hear My Train A Comin'
    • 7.Message To Love
    • 8.All Along The Watchtower
    • 9.Freedom
    • 10.Foxy Lady
    • 11.Purple Haze
    • 12.Hey Joe
    • 13.Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
    • 14.Stone Free
    • 15.Star Spangled Banner
    • 16.Straight Ahead

Looks like the track listing from the cd though

5. The Following User Says Thank You to karsten For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,558 Times in 335 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by karsten View Post
    http://www.large.nl/jimi-hendrix-ele...ay/art_320884/

Tracklist - Electric church

• 1.Fire
    • 2.Lover Man
    • 3.Spanish Castle Magic
    • 4.Red House
    • 5.Room Full Of Mirrors
    • 6.Hear My Train A Comin'
    • 7.Message To Love
    • 8.All Along The Watchtower
    • 9.Freedom
    • 10.Foxy Lady
    • 11.Purple Haze
    • 12.Hey Joe
    • 13.Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
    • 14.Stone Free
    • 15.Star Spangled Banner
    • 16.Straight Ahead

Looks like the track listing from the cd though
    Wait a minute, something's wrong here... this still being presented as an audio dvd/BR:

http://www.amazon.com/Jimi-Hendrix-E...lectric+church

...so we will have audio dvd/BR with 16 tracks and an Electric Church video dvd/BR?
    This one with the 10 tracks from the showtime doc plus 3 bonus tracks?
    Is this it, or is it a, just confusion?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 469 Posts

If this is correct it looks we will be getting additional video of Lover Man, Red house (already released by Douglas), Room Full Of Mirrors, Hear My Train, Message To Love and Freedom on top of what aired on the Showtime special. This is not including bonus tracks? That sounds pretty good to me. Was hoping the video might have Hey Baby though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Must be a confusion. There is only to be three additional songs from atlanta on the release + bonus material.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to karsten For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Great that Kirk Hammett is in the documentary. I LOVE old Metallica!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by karsten View Post
    Must be a confusion. There is only to be three additional songs from atlanta on the release + bonus material.
    Your right the official site does say only 3 extra tracks plus bonus content. So unless they trimmed the Showtime special down even further than planned we are only getting another 3 tracks and the adds are misleading. I think it is safe to say we will get Red House since Douglas released that one already on the Laserdisc. What do we think the other two will be?

Thanks

In case anyone missed it, I found the old version.

http://m.my.mail.ru/mail/ianaborman/video/46/19796.html
    'The very fact you oppose this makes me think I'm onto something'

Thanks

I like the Showtime special, it was interesting to see how it came together and to see daylight footage of the site. Plus when EH do a documentary on Jimi, you know there will be brief clips and teasers that haven't been seen before lol. The second release I bought of Jimi's was the Johnny B. Goode cassette back in 1987 (first was Jimi Plays Monterey). The Star Spangled banner from this show is pretty special to me.

They should have a section on the Authentic Hendrix site where you can buy digital only downloads of songs and video clips that do not cut it for an official store release

Thanks

Man I love that uni-vibe. too bad we can't go back in time yet. but for now i'm enjoying the fresh sound. yay a '70 release with a bass drum within 1 mile of a microphone! woohoo!

edit: even though songs like HMT already had a stunning recording going around. THAT! is what i want to see on video. listening on spotify now

Thanks

that part where he dive-bombs in HMT and speeds up the uni-vibe... goosebumps

Thanks

(...)
    "There was no high definition in 1970, but the footage that Rash and his crew got at the Atlanta Pop Festival — with very, very little lighting — shows all too well what all the fuss was about. Hendrix played fluidly but effortlessly, even showing off his trademark “I can play with my mouth” technique that’s unbelievable to watch. What drew me in, though, was the closeup work of the guitar master’s hands as they slid up and down the fret board, creating sounds that no guitar player before or after has been able to duplicate.#'Jimi Hendrix: Electric Church' is definitely a treasure, the amazing true story of America’s last great rock festival, before corporations turned festivals into big business. Alex Cooley, so seminal a part of creating a music scene in Atlanta where none had existed before, was the mastermind behind the Atlanta Pop Festival, and his insights are a vital part of “Electric Church.”
    #But there’s no question that this story is Hendrix’s, a fitting epitaph for one of rock music’s greats who died at the height of his musical and creative powers. It’ll take those 35 and over back to the days when there was still a place for creativity in music. For younger music fans, 'Electric Church' will not only explain what the fuss was all about, it’ll have you combing through dad’s old record collection searching for more. Trust me, you won’t be disappointed."

http://www.albanyherald.com/news/201...ectric-church/

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rubem For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The Douglas version is still essential even though the colors aren't so great and the docu part is better on the EH release. Sound on the Douglas release is really pretty good and just like IOW there are still some unique things on the Douglas release not on the EH release. Maybe the Douglas cut is the bonus footage . As of now the Douglas release even has one more song on it than the EH release. Seriously by all the alternate angles shown between the 2 versions of Atlanta there should be plenty of raw camera feeds to give us like they did on IOW (both EH releases bonus footage are slightly different and so is the cut of the film! both are different still from the Douglas release) and Monterey when the DVD/Blu Ray comes out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rubem View Post
    (...)
    "There was no high definition in 1970, but the footage that Rash and his crew got at the Atlanta Pop Festival — with very, very little lighting — shows all too well what all the fuss was about. Hendrix played fluidly but effortlessly, even showing off his trademark “I can play with my mouth” technique that’s unbelievable to watch. What drew me in, though, was the closeup work of the guitar master’s hands as they slid up and down the fret board, creating sounds that no guitar player before or after has been able to duplicate.#'Jimi Hendrix: Electric Church' is definitely a treasure, the amazing true story of America’s last great rock festival, before corporations turned festivals into big business. Alex Cooley, so seminal a part of creating a music scene in Atlanta where none had existed before, was the mastermind behind the Atlanta Pop Festival, and his insights are a vital part of “Electric Church.”
    #But there’s no question that this story is Hendrix’s, a fitting epitaph for one of rock music’s greats who died at the height of his musical and creative powers. It’ll take those 35 and over back to the days when there was still a place for creativity in music. For younger music fans, 'Electric Church' will not only explain what the fuss was all about, it’ll have you combing through dad’s old record collection searching for more. Trust me, you won’t be disappointed."

http://www.albanyherald.com/news/201...ectric-church/
    Speak for yourself ye ole writer of whats above. 35+? hell, I had a great flac collection of unheard stuff found places similar to this when I was 12. I'm 25 now for christ sake. I vividly remember waiting months for a Led Zeppelin release called "Snow Jobs" to be delivered to someone kind enough to torrent it. Lol

And regarding Hey Baby, I think it would be unfair to Jimi to include that on the album or video. If they want to release that, I think they should do it like that "Like a Rolling Stone" single they put out, with the great but sloppy Spanish Castle Magic that wasn't on the Winterland box set. But to be fair, it had recording problems too.

Thanks

I hope the multi's make it out. AATW was leaked on youtube about a year or two ago. Just sayin'.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GourmetAudio View Post
    I hope the multi's make it out. AATW was leaked on youtube about a year or two ago. Just sayin'.
    Which was cool to listen to all three musicians on their own tracks! I like to listen to the contribution that both Billy Cox, and Mitch Mitchell provided for Jimi that night.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Sharpstat For This Useful Post:

Thanks

For L.A. people: next thursday Electric Church on big screen, with the bonuses of bothering McDermott about next releases and the actual content of the dvd/BR; Kramer about why he does things as he does and not as you would do it if you were in his place AND telling Janie that she's not! his sister - LIVE! Unmissable!

http://www.laweekly.com/event/jimi-h...church-5984152

http://www.grammymuseum.org/events/d...lectric-church

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rubem For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Cool. Anybody who can capture this?

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karsten For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 374 Posts

" . . . followed by a discussion . . ." Most likely a discussion amongst the panelists themselves. Don't be surprised if they don't take any questions from the peanut gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubem View Post
    For L.A. people: next thursday Electric Church on big screen, with the bonuses of bothering McDermott about next releases and the actual content of the dvd/BR; Kramer about why he does things as he does and not as you would do it if you were in his place AND telling Janie that she's not! his sister - LIVE! Unmissable!

http://www.laweekly.com/event/jimi-h...church-5984152

http://www.grammymuseum.org/events/d...lectric-church