Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What broke up the Experience?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 782 Posts

What broke up the Experience?

Perhaps this is a controversial question or to others on the other hand a non-issue, but I was reading this Noel Redding interview in which he states the Experience "fell apart around October 1968." So, what happened in October 1968 that caused the Experience to break up? As far as I remember, Hendrix did some fine shows, like Winterland, great recording sessions in the TTG studios, and he was staying in his mansion with the band in the Hollywood hills. That doesn't sound like crisis at all. Has some more information or ideas what happened at this time and what could have caused the break up?

FB:- So what split the 'Experience?

NR:- The band had been working for two & a half years solid, on the road,
    travelling all the time. We had no sleep or days off
    or anything like that and then, when the band became big, Hendrix became a star and looked down at us lot. It just fell apart around October 1968.

http://www.crosstowntorrents.org/sho...Interview-1997

Thanks

Re: What broke up the Experience?

My opinion is that it was two things. Jimi growing restless musically, and generally unsatisfied with Noel's playing and attitude. Noel mentions in his book that he became angry after a reporter told him Hendrix wanted to expand the band and didn't consult him.
    'The very fact you oppose this makes me think I'm onto something'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by outasight View Post
    My opinion is that it was two things. Jimi growing restless musically, and generally unsatisfied with Noel's playing and attitude. Noel mentions in his book that he became angry after a reporter told him Hendrix wanted to expand the band and didn't consult him.
    and that was in October?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ezy Rider View Post
    and that was in October?
    When the bad blood started perhaps?
    'The very fact you oppose this makes me think I'm onto something'

Thanks
    Thanked 1,427 Times in 599 Posts

Perhaps this is a controversial question or to others on the other hand a non-issue, but I was reading this Noel Redding interview in which he states the Experience "fell apart around October 1968." So, what happened in October 1968 that caused the Experience to break up? As far as I remember, Hendrix did some fine shows, like Winterland, great recording sessions in the TTG studios, and he was staying in his mansion with the band in the Hollywood hills. That doesn't sound like crisis at all. Has some more information or ideas what happened at this time and what could have caused the break up?

FB:- So what split the 'Experience?

NR:- The band had been working for two & a half years solid, on the road,
    travelling all the time. We had no sleep or days off
    or anything like that and then, when the band became big, Hendrix became a star and looked down at us lot. It just fell apart around October 1968.

http://www.crosstowntorrents.org/sho...Interview-1997
    Noel's and Jimi's relation went kaput, simply.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,381 Times in 2,343 Posts

Thanks

promoter Barry Fey of the Denver Pop Festival:

"There's a lot of stories, but the worst one is Hendrix," Fey goes on. "I had Jimi September 1, 1968 at Red Rocks. We had become such good friends in a year or so. I mean, I just loved him. He was such a great guy. And then nine months later at the Denver Pop Festival, I get to talk to Noel and Mitch, and they said, 'We're not going to play with him anymore, Barry.' I said, 'What are you talking about?' They said, 'We can't stand him. Since you've seen us last, he's discovered heroin, and you can't deal with him.' And then he showed up, and he hardly knew who I was. And that was the last appearance of the Jimi Hendrix Experience, June 29, 1969.

http://www.westword.com/music/twenty...t-show-5685155

"We were very, very close," Fey says of the guitarist. "From the time I had him at Red Rocks, Sept. 2, '68, to June '69, he hardly knew who I was. He was starting to do heroin and Mitch (Mitchell) and Noel (Redding) were really fed up. That was the last appearance of The Experience."

http://www.bobwyman.com/hendrix.html

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ezy Rider For This Useful Post:

Thanks

promoter Barry Fey of the Denver Pop Festival:

"We were very, very close," Fey says of the guitarist. "From the time I had him at Red Rocks, Sept. 2, '68, to June '69, he hardly knew who I was. He was starting to do heroin and Mitch (Mitchell) and Noel (Redding) were really fed up. That was the last appearance of The Experience."

http://www.bobwyman.com/hendrix.html
    I don't know...living in Colorado I own and have read Fey's entire book, Backstage Past. There are some great stories within (he made the choice to write the entire thing himself, without an editor, resulting in a rather disjointed read), but Fey was known to exaggerate a bit at times. Personally I take the stories that he and Hendrix were friends, as well as the heroin use claim, with a grain of salt. In the same book, he states he hated Bill Graham (the concert promoter) that at one point he hired someone to have him killed, only to later call it off. I can imagine someone thinking or fantasizing about doing such a thing, but not actually doing it.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeffhmason For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhmason View Post
    I don't know...living in Colorado I own and have read Fey's entire book, Backstage Past. There are some great stories within (he made the choice to write the entire thing himself, without an editor, resulting in a rather disjointed read), but Fey was known to exaggerate a bit at times. Personally I take the stories that he and Hendrix were friends, as well as the heroin use claim, with a grain of salt. In the same book, he states he hated Bill Graham (the concert promoter) that at one point he hired someone to have him killed, only to later call it off. I can imagine someone thinking or fantasizing about doing such a thing, but not actually doing it.

actually, the hitman refused.

http://www.sfweekly.com/shookdown/20...backstage-past

but the guy must have had some twisted view on life and death, because he died of suicide

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/chat/3014791/posts

and here is an utterly weird interview with Fey by a psychic channeling Hendrix (?!), also touching upon the subject of Bill Graham and also mentioning heroin again:

http://www.westword.com/music/with-t...ersary-5689152

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ezy Rider For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Fey was in severe pain after (botched?) hip surgery. He decided to take his own life rather than live with the pain.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_2314955...uicide-coroner

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffhmason For This Useful Post:

Thanks

actually, the hitman refused.
    Again, those are all quotes from Fey's book. Who knows what's true and what's hyperbole?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffhmason For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 834 Posts

easy question, simple one-word answer : evolution.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MourningStar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

There are some accounts from this time that mention heroin; likely Jimi was indulging a bit...

Thanks

Heroin addiction is not an easy thing to acquire, it takes a certain
    "Mindset & concentration", and I believe Jimi was much more in control, than what
    "The Experience" thought or believed! The idea that One fix and you`re hooked
    is a misconception started by misinformed news hacks looking for a story!!
    "Fucking Hell, I Broke a String!!"
    1968 Voodoo Chile sessions.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to manfree For This Useful Post:

Thanks

it was probably a combo of their souring relationship and the fact that noel wanted to front his own band...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 468 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by manfree View Post
    Heroin addiction is not an easy thing to acquire, it takes a certain
    "Mindset & concentration", and I believe Jimi was much more in control, than what
    "The Experience" thought or believed! The idea that One fix and you`re hooked
    is a misconception started by misinformed news hacks looking for a story!!

Have u spent much time around heroin users? It doesn't take many times and they are full blown junkies. Watched it happen to a few people I know. Very sad

Thanks

I don't think Noel was a great bassist, certainly not in the same league as Jimi. Mitch however could hold his own w/ anyone.
    For example check out most of Noel's bass solos in Sunshine of Your Love(sans 16Jan.1969 set II, arguably one of his better solos) he simply doesn't have the musical chops to play anything interesting. He hits a few notes, plays a few power chords that is all.
    He was great at holding down the bottom end in Red House and other blues, outside of that, meh.

Thanks

If I was Jimi, Noel would have been gone much sooner. IMO, Noel went from being a tight ensemble player to a combative bassist, in terms of fighting for volume and at times playing real garbage messy over-loud bass. Noticeable on the Winterland shows. It's like he was in competition and not a team player

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlygtr56 View Post
    If I was Jimi, Noel would have been gone much sooner. IMO, Noel went from being a tight ensemble player to a combative bassist, in terms of fighting for volume and at times playing real garbage messy over-loud bass. Noticeable on the Winterland shows. It's like he was in competition and not a team player
    Completely agree. Noel was a rhythm guitarist converted to bass, and probably would have been okay with most band around that time, but soon found himself out of his depth with the experience so resorted to try and play louder than Jimi.

Thanks

Bah, I don't agree. Noel was very inventive on the on the first two albums and a loud beast live - who wants noodly, fleet-fingered bass solos anyway? Bass solos suck. The worst aspect of "technical" musicians is that they have "pet licks" and like to show off to the detriment of the song - Noel didn't, and that's probably one thing Jimi liked. A player like Jack Bruce (RIP) would have been awful in The Experience. After Jimi moved into more r 'n b/soul-inflected music Billy was a better fit than Noel, naturally.
    IMO Mitch's wimpy live sound was a bigger problem.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dino77 For This Useful Post: