Thread: 1967-01-12 Olympia, London

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

1967-01-12 Olympia, London

Thursday 12 January 1967
    London W6, National Hall, Olympia, Hammersmith Road, Kensington, England. JHE
    ‘The 1967 Racing Car Show.’ Appearance (mimed!!) at the Radio London 'Big L Theatre' on the balcony. Tony Blackburn and Keith Skues co-hosted a show where [amongst others, presumably] Jimi Hendrix [& Exp?] mimed to Hey Joe [& other songs?]. Probably part of the publishing/publicity deal with Radio London.
    Noel was probably using Chas’ 4-string Gibson EB2 bass.
    Songs:

Hey Joe (Billy Roberts)

New Musical Express (27th January), interview by unknown – Jimi: “The one thing I really hate is miming – it’s so phoney. So far the only thing I was asked to mime was a Radio London appearance and I felt guilty just standing there holding a guitar. If you want to scream and holler at a record you can do that at home – I’m strictly a live performer.”

Thursday 12 January 1967
    UK
    DISC & MUSIC ECHO (page 7) [B&W photo of Jimi with stressed expression]. “The Weird, Wild, Hit World of Jimi Hendrix” article by [unknown]: “Meeting Jimi Hendrix for the first time is indeed an experience, You’d be forgiven for mistaking him for the “Wild Man Of Borneo’s” understudy, with his outlandish appearance, flamboyant attire and shock of jet black Dylan-type hair.
    But beneath this extraordinary exterior is quite a cool character.
    Jimi is protégé of ex-Animal Chas Chandler, the beefy bass player with a ready smile. Chas saw and heard him playing a Greenwich Village coffee bar on the Animals’ last visit to New York and was sufficiently impressed to persuade him to try is luck in Britain.
    Jimi (21), from Seattle, Washington State, accepted gratefully. He’d tired of playing the guitar for pennies around pop places like Clarksville, Nashville, Memphis, Indianapolis. Even a gig with the Isley Brothers and a spot on a package tour with B.B. King, Sam Cooke, Chuck Jackson, Solomon Burke and Hank Ballard became a bit of a drag. Jimi wanted to be more than just a backing musician.
    Now he’s literally exploded upon the pop scene in London. Hippy club-dwellers and star artists alike are singing his praises in the same way that they predicted eventual success for names like Spencer Davis, Chris Farlowe and Georgie Fame.
    You may have already heard of Jimi Hendrix. In pop circles his name is rapidly becoming a household word. But seeing, as they say, is believing-and until you actually watch Jimi you won’t really appreciate the experience.
    Not only does he sing his own songs with great vigour. He also manages to play his guitar with almost every part of his body-including his teeth!”
    (Page ?) [small B&W photo] ‘Hit Talk’ ‘MONKEES They just don't move me at all!’ by Jimi Hendrix:
    Sandie Shaw's cute! That song's good for her. I don't know if I really like it—but it has hit flavour.
    Sinatras? No. I feel nothing about this one. You just know what notes are coming next. Everything's there, everything's so precise. No imagination.
    Monkees have a very ordinary rock & roll flavour—and the song doesn't move me at all. Musicwise, I'm sorry, but I just don't care for them. Mamas and Papas' song is beautiful. It's ridiculous how they arrange things to something as pretty as this. Like it a lot.
    The Move knock me out, man. Such a ridiculous strong beat. Voices go with feeling of the rhythm and beat. Everything fits in nicely.
    Tom Jones is very good. I like this new one. He has a very beautiful voice and this is done particularly good. I'm not too hot on old country ballads, though.
    There are certain times when I like to hear this record by Lulu. Depends on my different moods. Her voice on it is great. Do you know it's the first song I've heard from her. Heard her name around a lot. She's a really nice girl!
    What can you say about a song like the Who's? Ridiculous, man. I don't know! The ring of that guitar is so pretty. So's the harmony and the drums. Every*thing happens. And happens in such a way that it's arranged perfectly. Should be a big smash.
    Next week LULU.

Thursday 12 January 1967
    UK
    MELODY MAKER, (page?) [title?] [interview] by [unknown]
    Pete Townsend: “We’ve got to the stage when we end the night by destroying everything – which is expensive. I think in pop, though, it’s good because it has a big impact and, personally, we find it a great laugh.
    There are two groups at the moment which I like very much – the Cream and The Jimi Hendrix Experience. In a way they’re a bit alike in that they both have fantastic guitarists and drummers. They’re also alike in that they both have tremendous records out at the moment, and they are both laying down some great stuff – what more can anyone want?
    (Page?) Melody Maker’s Pop 50:
    wk
    02-48-26. Hey Joe - Jimi Hendrix

Thursday 12 January 1967
    UK
    RECORD MIRROR (page?) ‘Sex Gimmicks, And Jimi’ [photo of Jimi ‘eating’ his guitar on Ready Steady Go ’66, caption:] JIMI HENDRIX – his hit “Hey Joe” is an old folk number [not! it’s by Billy Roberts (Jimi - or whoever - was claiming ‘Trad. Arr. by’ royalties initially – as Tim Rose had earlier). Ed.], recently taken into the U.S. charts by West Coast group the Leaves - by Richard Green:
    “Two electric guitars happily emitting sounds as Jimi Hendrix left the stage at the Bromley Court Hotel last week [4 January]. Considering the indignities the instruments had suffered during the preceding 45 minutes, I wouldn’t have been surprised if they had got up and made a speech.
    Jimi’s reputation had preceded him into Kent, and a large part of his audience had gone along to see exactly what tricks he did get up to.
    More and more often during his act, I was reminded of the early days of The Who, when Pete Townshend was at his most violent. Except that Jimi takes it several stages further. He kisses the guitar, sits on it and treads on it. Quite apart from belting it with his elbow and caressing the amplifier with it.
    I asked Jimi later how much he relied upon the sex angle for effect?”
    Jimi: “No, not really. I guess there is some sex, but I don’t plan anything. I just do what I feel at the time,” he replied.
    [Richard Green: Question about gimmicks]
    Jimi: “ Gimmicks? Sure, but we don’t work things out though: we just let them happen.”
    He bought his first guitar – an acoustic – six years ago and after one month wanted to join a band. So he switched to an electric guitar and hit the road, Jack .
    “We played on the west coast and in Washington and down South,” Jimi said. “We had guys ten years ago in the States playing what groups are playing here now. Now they call it psychedelic.”
    The obvious comparison is between Jimi and Eric Clapton. Chas Chandler said in a recent RM interview that Jimi could play Eric off the stage. I wondered how Jimi felt about it. “I’ve played with him and he’s good,” he said. “It’s difficult to compare us because our styles are so different. He plays the B.B. King type of thing. My main thing is the blues, but people like Elmore James and a few others the people here wouldn’t know.”
    When Jimi and his two musicians had played “Hey Joe” on stage, the number was very different from the others in the act.
    Jimi: “That record isn’t us,” Jimi explained. “The next one’s gonna be different. We’re working on an LP which will be mainly our own stuff.”
    (Page?) [from Thursday’s Record Retailer]:
    wk
    03-41-32. Hey Joe - Jimi Hendrix
    Last edited by stplsd; 05-26-17 at 03:21 AM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post: