Thread: Janie versus Leon: the 'family' feud saga continues

Thanks
    Thanked 1,558 Times in 335 Posts

Janie versus Leon: the 'family' feud saga continues

C'mon, peoples...it is disgusting, but is important to know...Right?

Hendrix Family Company Files New Lawsuit Over Jimi Hendrix Memorabilia

By Maureen Meehan · Tue Sep 29, 2015

Just as relatives of the greatest guitar player ever finally resolved a bitter six-year legal battle, Jimi Hendrix’s family might be heading back into the courtroom.

According to the Seattle Times, the resolved lawsuit involved trademark infringement with Experience Hendrix—the company that owns the rights to the Hendrix estate and is controlled by Jimi’s step-sister Janie Hendrix—and HendrixLicensing.com (operated by Jimi’s younger brother Leon Hendrix and his partner Andrew Pitsicalis) duking it out. The case was settled out of court for damages associated with the sale of merchandise, T-shirts, posters, etc.

As a concession in the recent settlement, which was made public last month, Pitsicalis and Leon changed their company name from Hendrix Licensing to Rockin Artwork and Purple Haze Properties.

The extended family feud started shortly after Jimi Hendrix died in 1970 at the age of 27. Because Jimi had no will, everything went to his father James “Al” Hendrix, who passed away in 2002. Al left the estimated $80 million estate under the sole control of his adopted daughter, Janie Hendrix, leaving Leon and his seven children essentially disinherited.

While the judge in this summer’s settlement banned Pitsicalis and Leon from using Hendrix's name in their businesses, he did not issue a blanket ban on everything.

“Janie continues to refer to her company as an ‘exclusive Hendrix family company,’ erasing the existence of Jimi’s blood brother Leon and his children,” Pitsicalis explained to HIGH TIMES about why they are heading back to court.

Pitsicalis said that Janie recently hired the music merchandising company Bravado, which “is causing confusion by claiming our company is not a Hendrix family company, which it clearly is.”

As a result, Rockin Artwork is suing Bravado for making consumers believe that their merchandise is not authentic. The complaint states that Bravado is directly contacting prospective merchandising licensees and incorrectly informing them that Rockin Artwork is not authorized to enter into business agreements to sell Jimi Hendrix memorabilia.

“A lot of companies are afraid to buy our merchandise," Pitsicalis said. "Janie Hendrix, through Bravado, is interfering with our company.”

Thomas Osinski, general council for Rockin Artwork, said the case against Bravado seeks to show that Janie Hendrix is not the only person in the Hendrix family and that Leon’s companies are also legitimate.

“Leon and Rockin Art want to establish that their merchandise is legitimate and that Janie has no more of a claim than we do," Osinski explained. "She controls Jimi’s music, but in terms of other things, we want to stop being told we can’t be involved. We’re family, too.”

Rockin Art's publicist Kevin Chiaramonte concurred that Leon Hendrix and Pitsicalis have the right “to fight back and not be bullied by allowing Janie to overstep her bounds and monopolize the marketplace.”

Chiaramonte pointed out that Rockin Art filed their lawsuit against Bravado on the 45th anniversary of Jimi’s death as a way of “demanding respect for Jimi Hendrix’s blood relatives.”

http://www.hightimes.com/read/hendri...ix-memorabilia

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rubem For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Janie versus Leon: the 'family' feud saga continues

I dont understand why Janie can not give Leon a large sum of money, or just share some of the profits. She seems to be very greedy

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to purplehazechild For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Always suspicious characters around Jimi: From Michael Jeffrey to Alan Douglas to Janie Hendrix...as Mitch once said "there were always loads of leeches."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Can't be losing one cent Jinka can she? Horrible person.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 782 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by purplehazechild View Post
    I dont understand why Janie can not give Leon a large sum of money, or just share some of the profits. She seems to be very greedy
    Major part of the reason why Janie, as Jimi's stepsister, was alloted control over the estate was showing that Leon was not mentally reliable as a (former) drug addict. In my simple understanding of the legal system, if Janie now would allow a share or give Leon any money, wouldn't she somehow show that Leon is in fact capable and therefore legally entitled to a share or total control (being closer in bloodline) of the estate?

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ezy Rider For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ezy Rider View Post
    Major part of the reason why Janie, as Jimi's stepsister, was alloted control over the estate was showing that Leon was not mentally reliable as a (former) drug addict. In my simple understanding of the legal system, if Janie now would allow a share or give Leon any money, wouldn't she somehow show that Leon is in fact capable and therefore legally entitled to a share or total control (being closer in bloodline) of the estate?
    Well said. Exactamundo!
    'The very fact you oppose this makes me think I'm onto something'

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to outasight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,381 Times in 2,343 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ezy Rider View Post
    Leon was in Jail on theft and burglary charges on the day Jimi died which he himself stated in his book.

Link: https://books.google.com/books?id=DD...20died&f=false

Link: http://www.nodepression.com/article/...brothers-story

Link: http://www.seattleweekly.com/2009-03...ndrix-project/

Counters Janie: "First of all, the closest person to Jimi was Dad. As far as Leon goes, it is sad and unfortunate, but Leon received more than two million dollars in his lifetime when my father was taking care of him. And Leon had already sold his rights to various people. If he'd gotten any money, it wouldn't come to him, it would come to the people he'd sold his rights to."

But by the time Jimi died, Leon was making a name for himself as a two-bit criminal. In the three decades that followed, Leon developed a mile-long—albeit relatively softcore—rap sheet and a serious crack-cocaine addiction.

Leon was also able to set up trust funds for each of his kids through a deal in which he relinquished to Al all future claims to Jimi-related copyrights in exchange for $1 million.

But Leon quickly pissed away his share of the loot, due in large part to his debauched, hustler lifestyle. "Leon has wasted more money than most people make in their lifetime," says Cross.
    Last edited by RobbieRadio; 10-01-15 at 01:14 PM.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RobbieRadio For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It is well documented that Jimi mentions his brother in a song. He goes on how he felt bad the way he treated him. I don't recall a song in which she is mentioned? She's afraid of losing money, a sure sign of greed. One of the seven deadly sins. She always mentions the almighty on the material released but cannot live by her creators rules. Hypocritical to me, and just my opinion.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sharpstat For This Useful Post:

Thanks

LEON AND JANIE SUING EACH OTHER AGAIN 2017

http://nypost.com/2017/03/24/jimi-he...r-over-estate/

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RobbieRadio For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The Inevitable Cultivation of Jimi Hendrix Legacy - Purple Haze Properties

Leon Hendrix and his Business Agent won a court battle to use Jimi's name and likeness and are selling all kinds of products using Jimi's name.

http://purplehazeproperties.com/the-...endrix-legacy/

http://purplehazeproperties.com/cali...ia-and-nevada/

https://www.purple-haze-properties.com/jimis-collection

Last edited by RobbieRadio; 01-21-18 at 01:08 PM.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RobbieRadio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,831 Times in 854 Posts

This was posted over at JPIO

10 acoustic guitars being built from the wood from Jimi's home....

"Each limited-edition guitar contains an actual piece of Jimi's legacy and family heritage, the place he called home"

Janie Hendrix

http://www.musicradar.com/news/namm-...childhood-home

http://joiguitars.com/special-projec...x-home-guitar/

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,427 Times in 599 Posts

No wonder Jimi avoided his family as much as possible. Asswipes.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to dino77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,405 Times in 1,017 Posts

Two posts showing the lengths some folk do to ride the man!

While I think there is at least some link and a degree of thought put into the guitar project the THC promotion is really in poor taste.

Just shows, no matter who you are some one will want to make ££££/$$$$$'s off of the dead guy OUTSIDE OF HIS MUSIC!
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The Purple Haze properties products just make me cringe in horror. I know Leon loves his brother, his biography - the section detailing Jimi's early years was fascinating and really gave the best picture of their tough early years and I know he needs the money or does he?! I enjoy listening to him tell stories about Jimi. I felt that some financial arrangement should have been made by Janie, despite all of Leon's reckless wasting his money, but I wish Janie and John mcdermott could have given something to Leons kids so that Leon's family wouldn't suffer his bad decisions and finally break the cycle of poverty that has long existed with the Jeter.
    B
    ut Jimi's meds, honey?? This is vile , and he has the nerve to critise Janie for her spending habits! I think it's wrong and appalling that Jimi's maternal relatives never saw one cent from the estate. I just don't see how this was never sorted. Why didn't one of the Jeter family go to court also in 2004? Would Lucille's sister Delores have had a claim? Why didn't Al leave anything to Delores or the Jeters in his will? I know al had unresolved feeling about Lucille and felt the Jeters looked upon him badly.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to sidesofthesky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 441 Posts

Jimi's vodka
    Jimi's Meds
    House guitars

-just keep play'in the records-

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jhendrixfanatic View Post
    Jimi's vodka
    Jimi's Meds
    House guitars

-just keep play'in the records-
    don't forget Jimi's cooking oil haha- oh the horror! Yes They continue to "wrap him up in cellophane and sell him!"

30. The Following User Says Thank You to sidesofthesky For This Useful Post: