Thread: 1969-01-29 Kips Bay cinema, New York City, USA

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

1969-01-29 Kips Bay cinema, New York City, USA

The film 'Monterey Pop' opens to the public, but only at Kips Bay cinema, NYC where it will run exclusively until 25 April when it will open in Fresno, followed by Oakland on the 30th etc. gradually at selected cinemas across the US.

Last edited by stplsd; 05-25-17 at 03:29 AM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Re: 1969-01-29 Kips Bay cinema, New York City, USA

The film 'Monterey Pop' opens to the public, but only at Kips Bay cinema, NYC where it will run exclusively until 25 April when it will open in Fresno, followed by Oakland on the 30th etc. gradually at selected cinemas across the US.
    It was only on
    10 Aug. 69 that Kips Bay stopped showing the film exclusively in the New York/New Jersey area, when it went on general release there the following day. It then went on show in about 20 cinemas in the area, but only for one week!

The festival committee appear to have followed the example of 'The Endless Summer' the, surprise hit, surf movie of 1966/67 [apparently a strong influence on the disastrous "Wave"
    movie, later "titled "Rainbow Bridge". Michael Hynson, the star of Summer, also appeared in Bridge]
    San Francisco Chronicle (25-06-67): "There was an initial commercial run of "The Endless Summer" in New York before it went into distribution with Cinema V. Brown leased Kips Bay Theater to promote its showing a year ago, with the added boost of the city's "Special Events Commission" providing sponsorship for the premier.
    Being a beachcomber with a camera obviously is paying well for brown. He is reputed to have already skimmed off at least a million dollars profit from the film."

D.A. Pennebaker on Monterey Pop: "And he [Bob Rafelson] said, 'How would you like to do a film about a music festival in California?' And my just having seen 'Endless Summer' my ears lit up."

[Discussing ABC pulling out of the TV deal] "Actually the stuff I'd done for Drew was, sort of, for television, but I was kind of against television, 'cause I thought it was, it would demean any subject like this that it dealt with. I mean, I knew that Bruce Brown's film [Endless Summer] couldn't play on television. Eventually it did [as did Monterey - eventually. Ed.], but I mean, for the kind of audience that it was getting, it had to be in theatre's where the sound was fantastic and the sense of camaraderie prevailed."
    Last edited by stplsd; 05-28-17 at 03:24 AM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post: